PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't listen to music from the past 8 years

kaut
05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Could sound ludacris to some of you... seeing as in 97' you were between 6 and 11 but I seriously can't get into any band that came after this. This was around a music shift (some of these dates are way off)

the late 80's... great alternative songs being made... was a good time
the early 90's were the Seattle sounding bands
around 94-95 after Kurt killed himself came the Nirvana wannabes (Bush, Silverchair, Green Day (with a Clash twist)) and the music was dulled down a bit
96-97 was pretty much the last of the alternative sound but I did like some of the mainstream bands like Garbage, The Wallflowers and No Doubt
after 97 came the bubble gum pop explosion which luckily has ran it's course
around 2001 the White Stripes finally broke through... but also came the pop-punk of Blink 182 and Good Charlotte which dilluted the music of Green Day which was pretty much dumbed down anyway
then emo... ugh... although I do like some Bright Eyes and Azure Ray songs
and now we're going through a sort of pop-punk + emo mixture... I can't wait til this whole pop-punk and emo thing runs it's course as well.

the mainstream rock scene has put out some really bad bands like Nickleback, Limp Bizkit, Puddle of Mudd that I just can't get into... I call it a failed attempt to return to the sound of the early 90's.

and I don't listen to rap post 96 as it just doesn't feel the same as the NWA/Biggie/Tupac days. Although Eminem's first two albums (actually 2nd, and 3rd albums if you count Infinity as an album... he doesn't) were entertaining enough.

So uhm... what I'm asking here as an aging grumpy old man... what do you see in the music you listen to and why? I've tried, I really have... but there's no meaning in most of the music being put out in the past 8 years other than just get famous and be on TV to me... there's nothing original being put out and all the songs sound the same. At least when all of the Seattle bands had the distorted tuned down guitar sound you could tell their songs and them apart.

RedStratocas
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
You know the music is bad when they kids and teenagers think older music was better:p Or at least the ones who actually know what they are talking about, not the kids who just listen to popular music to "fit in". There are some bands I can find, like chevelle, institute (Actually is pretty good. Its Gavin Rossdale from bush, it sounds more like sixteen stone) and foo fighters. But yeah, I agree, I think music is going downhill, but it happens to every generation. The kids who think music is good now wont think the music is good in the future. Music always changes, unfortunatly, we have to accept it.

kaut
05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm stubborn, I don't accept anything... lol.

But eh... it'll get better. Hopefully. If not, then I have enough albums from the past to listen to so I can drown out all the kiddies saying how great their music is :D

But don't worry kiddies... I've listened to bad music too... like Billy Ray Cyrus... and the first CD I ever got was Bobby Brown. True I didn't buy it... but I did listen to it.

Emicat
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
after Kurt killed himself came the Nirvana wannabes (Bush, Silverchair, Green Day (with a Clash twist))

The members of the band acctually hate Nirvana :/ and Green Day released their first album in 1991 so get your facts straight.

beth
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I totally agree with you, well not totally because I do listen to quite a few recent bands, but I agree the older stuff is a whole lot better than the now a days stuff.
I seriously just listen to the 80's punk/rock most of the time.

RedStratocas
05-11-2005, 08:50 PM
The members of the band acctually hate Nirvana :/ and Green Day released their first album in 1991 so get your facts straight.

He said they are a CLASH wannabe band. Lol, get your facts straight. I dont agree with the wanabe part, but they were inspired by the clash most majorly.

kaut
05-11-2005, 11:53 PM

for a band that hates Nirvana they sure praised Nirvana's Nevermind.

I still blame Nirvana for opening up the flood gates in mainstream music to a lot of bad bands... from Candlebox up to Blink 182 and Good Charlotte (who Francis Bean listens to which is just proof enough that Courtney Love isn't raising the kid right :P)

xJoeYx
06-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Right there with you.

80's early 90's post punk was for me.

RedStratocas
06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
for a band that hates Nirvana they sure praised Nirvana's Nevermind.

I still blame Nirvana for opening up the flood gates in mainstream music to a lot of bad bands... from Candlebox up to Blink 182 and Good Charlotte (who Francis Bean listens to which is just proof enough that Courtney Love isn't raising the kid right :P)

Well everyone says stuff like that, but if it wasent them, it would be another band that would open up the flood gates. Like if Benjamin Franklin never invented the light bulb, would we ever have had electricity? Probably, someone else probably would have invented it. So Nirvana was the first band to break it out, but if it wasent them it would be someone else.

beth
06-11-2005, 01:50 AM
(who Francis Bean listens to which is just proof enough that Courtney Love isn't raising the kid right :P)

Dude ahha, Courtney Love can't look after herself half the time, let alone a kid. Thats probably why the kid is being exposed to such eurghh <//3

kaut
06-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Dude ahha, Courtney Love can't look after herself half the time, let alone a kid. Thats probably why the kid is being exposed to such eurghh <//3

eh... Francis did pick a cool enough cover and title for the new Nirvana CD... cool enough for me to like anyway.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!