PDA

View Full Version : method

Nisus
16-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I swab the laboratory bench with ethanol (70%)
I cut a small piece of cauliflower – roughly a centimetre across-with a sharp scalpel.
I place it in a Petri dish using sharp cuts, divide the piece of cauliflower into three.
I carefully place the pieces of cauliflower, or explants into 50cm3 of sodium hypochlorite solution in a beaker to sterilise them.
I left it for 10 minutes.
I undid the ***** cap, then flame the neck of the bottle of the sterile distilled water provided.
I poured out 50 cm3 of sterile distilled water into three 100 cm3 beakers.
I flame the neck of the bottle and replace the cap.
I dipped the end of a pair of forceps into a beaker of ethanol, keeping this well away from the flame.
I passed the forceps through a blue Bunsen flame to ignite the ethanol and sterilise them.
I allowed the forceps o cool and then aseptically transfer the explants to a beaker of sterile water. I left it for one minute.
I rinse the explants twice more in the remaining two beaker of sterile distilled water. This rinsing process is critical to the growth of the explants. I left it in the beaker until required.
to the hand opposite I wrote with I removed the aluminium foil and cotton wool plug from the test tube of growth medium.
I flamed the neck of the tube.
I was using a pair of sterile forceps then I carefully but quickly transfer one of the explants onto the surface of the growth medium in the tube.
I carefully flame the neck of the tube and replaced the cotton wool.
I covered the cotton wool with aluminium foil.
I repeated stage 15 to 17 with the other two explants. I transferred them aseptically to two further tubes of growth media.
I kept the explants in a warm light place.
The growth of the explants should be visible after about 10 days.
In the tube, aseptic technique has not been observed, and the explant has not grown.
My healthy explants and contaminated explants compared.

mochatolatte
24-11-2005, 01:14 AM
And why must we know this?

Rachz
17-12-2005, 07:07 PM
And why must we know this?

My Thoughts precisely

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!