PDA

View Full Version : Learn French, the easy way.

Funk
10-11-2004, 05:15 PM
French is a widely spoken language throughout the world, and a surprisingly popular holiday destination! But you, of course, don't have a clue what any French is except for 'Hello' - Which is why, this guide is going to teach you the very basics of French, and its strangeness.

French has been altered throughout the years, with new words appearing, some words that still don't exist and with 3 ways to say 'The' - you'll find it hard to grasp, but you will get there.

Just before I start, if you think 3 is a lot of 'The' 's - Don't ever, ever, ever learn German! 16 ways to say the, what morons "/ :

So, as the guide starts get a groove in your chair, get some StarBucks coffee and put your status as 'away' on every possible messanger :

When you're meeting someone in France, the first thing they normally say is :

Salut/Bonjour! Ca va?
Which Translates to: Hi/Hello! How are you?

Tip 1: The 'c' on ca va is a soft 'c', therefore you need a littke upside down 5, or cedilla at the bottom the c.

If you're well, you would reply:

Ca va bien merci!
Which translates to: I am fine

or, if you're not feeling well :

Non (It may seem impolite, but it's what they do!)

That's pretty much the basic opening sentences of French, if you remember these, continue, if not, read over them again! :

We have the word 'the' which goes for Masculine things (male), Feminine things (female) and plural things (more than 1) - This goes for all of the English world, however in French they have a different word for each category :

Le is the Masculine 'The'
La is the Feminine 'The'
Les is the Plural 'The'

But how do I know which noun goes with which the? You don't! It is very hard to see which 'the' it goes with, obviously if it is perfume it is female, which would be 'La'.

Whilst working with that, you now can say 'Hello, how are you? I am fine and the'. And that is a good bit learnt in what, 10 minutes maximum?

Now, this is where it may get a little too confusing, but if you think you're a big smartie pants, I wreckon you will grasp it

Take the word in English to 'watch' - We have I, You (singular), He/she/it, We, you (plural) and they. In French, it is a bit like Latin, you also need to change the ending of the word.

In french ;

I = Je
You (S) = Tu (This is also very formal)
He/She/It = Just, well someone's name etc
We = Nous
You (P) = Vous (This is not very formal)
They = Just, well more than one name.

But you've got to learn the endings as well, but they are quite easy to learn! :

I = E
You (S) = ES
He/She/It = E
We = ONS
You (P) = EZ
They = ENT

All verbs in French come with the infinitive first, which is 'To do' or 'To have' or 'To play' - whatever your verb is, and the ones that follow the rule are called 'ER' verbs..

So if you take off the 'ER' you are left with 'Regard' and then you place your ending on, such as :

Je Regarder = NO!
Je Regarde (you've taken off the ER and added 'Je' which is E' = YES!

That's it for now, more will be posted later, until then, keep revising.

Pixel
10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
very helpfull because ive been doing french for about 3 years now and still cant put a sentance together

G-flow
10-11-2004, 05:20 PM
French is really hard! ive been doing it for 4 years now and i do not have a clue :eusa_wall

Funk
10-11-2004, 05:20 PM
I'll add some later, like irregular verbs and stuff.. :P

Corey777
10-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Like anything else, The more that you use French, the better you become at it. French is actually a fairly easy language compared to the almost impossible (to other cultures) English Language. French just takes some getting used to. Funk described the very BASICS to french by explaining "er" Verbs. there is much more to learn such as ir and re verbs ;). Anyways, good luck to beginners in French:)

Simonac55
11-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Je suis canadien-français alors j'ai aucune misère en français et je parle mieux le français que l'anglais. But some of my englisj friends said it's realy hard to learn french from them. But I can't really experience that since french is my first language.

Corey777
11-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Je suis Canadien aussi! Le Francais est tres difficile pour moi. Je prefere l'anglais. Ma Coleur preferee est Rouge et mon nombre prefere est seize. Cela est tout je peux pense de maintenant.

Au Revoir!

Pulchritudinous
14-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Not all 16 the's are used in german, it's mainly der, die and das.
And once you learn how to use the three of them, it's pretty easy to put them onto words.

sarah261090
14-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I do Russian and French, and i find it really easy and i have been doing french for nearly 3 years and Russian from september till now! May sound weird but i think i am better at russian than french!! :D Does anyone else speak russian??

CarolineQT2774
23-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Message était très utile pour des débutants.

:eusa_clap

Le rep s'est ajouté.

Now for Russian...

Извинения Sarah, я не говорю ру**кого н*илучшим обр*зом.

caz08
23-02-2005, 11:54 PM
I find french fairly hard as i only studied it for one year in year 8 along with having 2 lessons of german so i got rather confused... I can't make a sentance on the spot its fairly hard

AngJum
23-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I do french at school, been doing it for nearly 3 years aswell. I don't find it that hard, and getting high grades is even better. I like french a lot =]

Salut, Mon nom est Angela.. lol :p

GommeInc
24-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Or, bonjour, je m'apelle GommeInc, un j'habite á Essex.

Janumz
24-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Salut Angela.. et tous les autres
Mon nom est Jane
Comment-Allez vous?

xJoeYx
26-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Iv been doing it for 5 years now and im rubbish, i dont care for french - never have, the truth is i hate france, its boring... except disneyland, but face it they all speak english there anyway.

For GCSE im predicted C/D - im not to bad at written stuff like coursework or exams, its the oral that gets me. I cant wait for college - no more french YAY!!

o yeh, gd guide . :P

.:.$MuRf.:.
27-03-2005, 02:14 PM
omg! wow u r all good at speakin languages but i only been doin french4 7 months and im strugglin with it! :'(
i can ony sa a few fings
salut! ca va? jemapelle michelle! j'ai douze ans. quel age a tu?
au revoir!
:imwithst

Drewar
07-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Ta guide est assez simple, mais, c'est bien pour les debutants. J'étais seulement un étude de francais pour 3 années, mais sur mon bulletin de note, j'ai une moyenne de 99 en francais. J'aime que je peux parle deux langues,c'est intéressant et un outil clé pour la vie au Canada.

.Amberz.
23-04-2005, 11:18 AM
:o :eusa_pray :eusa_pray :eusa_pray :eusa_pray :o French Is Well Hard!!!!!! I do it at my school and I'm like "Erm..." and ma best friend is like "I know! I know!" Because she is like a FRENCH freak and shes knows loads of words in French. Don't blame her, its good to learn different languages....

scottish
23-04-2005, 11:21 AM
i do german, dont like german >:P

Kezzo
23-04-2005, 06:01 PM
L'anglais de Im mais suis très bon à français bien que je suis treize. Je n'a pas de problème parle français, mais je ne peux pas dire que je suis le plus grand. Ma langue préférée est anglaise mais si cela n'a pas été permis ce serait espagnol.

Au revoir

Jõnathan
10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
There's a really funny website for rude foreign words:

www.InsultMonger.com (http://www.InsultMonger.com)

It's a good site! Has French & German swearing!

boardslide
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Loz, nice guide. ;)
French is tough.
o_O"

scottish
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Lol Ouch :p

GommeInc
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I had my French Oral Exam Monday :eusa_danc

BlueTails
10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Nice Swearing Words...

Groovy
10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow, what a cool thread. Certainly helped me! I have been doing french for about 3 years now. C`est Super! :)

lucyecc
10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
i can only just get around the words! keep reading people you will get it one day :D

GommeInc
10-05-2005, 10:35 PM
J'habite dans un Maison! Je ne pas partage ma chambre, c'est agreable

Owen
11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Il = He
Elle = She :D
All i know

AngJum
11-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Woo talking of french I passed my listening exam >=D Go meeeee!

RunescapePK
14-05-2005, 03:12 AM
You wrote it wrong.

Tu is not formal and should be used around freinds

Vous is formal and shold be used for adult or respected people.
Anyway french is easy

GommeInc
14-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Je suis un pamplemousse, est huit heure demie. Il y a quatre chambre et un salon

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!