PDA

View Full Version : ^ Christmas is re-named because it could be seen a racist ^

NekkLe
01-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, recently my brother came back from school the other day with a letter in his hand and looked a little baffeled.
I asked him whats the matter and he handed me the a school newsletter, in which stated that "The christmas holiday is now to be changed to Winter Festival".
Why? because having a holiday dedicated to Christmas could be found racist to other ethnic religions.
So, Christians cannot now say 'Christmas Holiday' because it may offend others who beleive other than Christian.
My mum sort of went into one, giving us a lecture about how the country is run, and silly laws that prevent people living freeley blah..dee..blah..:rolleyes:

But now, come on, this has got to be the most stupid excuse ever to witness my eyes!
Has this happened to anyone here? What are your thoughts about this?

Edited by Cypher- ~ Please do not avoid the filter.

Carlsta
01-12-2005, 12:37 PM
dats so so odd!

NekkLe
01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
dats so so odd!
Lol, I find it quite funny that its got this silly with racism.

issaa.
01-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Christmas isn't racist, you don't have to be christian to celebrate christmas anyway.

NekkLe
01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Some families tend not to celebrate Christmas as they only follow there own religions. Someone obviously feels that Christmas should be considered as another holiday instead of something religous.

You either celebrate or not, leave it at that.

Steven.
01-12-2005, 12:56 PM
How sad :l

Smiddy
01-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I heard it was gonna be called "The festival of lights" ;|

No offence to anyone religious, but if you don't like the name "Christmas" then don't celebrate it, it's a traditional Christian holiday name after Jesus Christ.

Corey777
01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I think it's ridiculous. It has happened at my school as well - exept we call it the "Holiday Seranade"

I find the whole thing kind of stupid as we wouldn't be celebrating it or takign school off for it if it wasn't for Christmas. So why change the name?

GJay
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Political correctness has taken over the world. -.-

Millywoo
01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Can't we all just celebrate our own religious days without it becoming a debate about political correctness? :rolleyes:

To quote a song called "Merry Christmas...if that's okay":

"Christmas comes just once a year,
So for a few day, for crying out loud,
Can we all just get along?"

Biseinen
01-12-2005, 02:49 PM
It will always be known as christmas, full stop.

Racist my white bum... How the hell can christmas be racist, I mean, it's for everyone that wants to celebrate it.

We don't go up to jews and say they're racist for having whatever they have... That... Erm, Hannkakuer or w/e.

They're just moaning.

ilovejordan
01-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Well, recently my brother came back from school the other day with a letter in his hand and looked a little baffeled.
I asked him whats the matter and he handed me the a school newsletter, in which stated that "The christmas holiday is now to be changed to Winter Festival".
Why? because having a holiday dedicated to Christmas could be found racist to other ethnic religions. W'TF??
So, Christians cannot now say 'Christmas Holiday' because it may offend others who beleive other than Christian.
My mum sort of went into one, giving us a lecture about how the country is run, and silly laws that prevent people living freeley blah..dee..blah..:rolleyes:

But now, come on, this has got to be the most stupid excuse ever to witness my eyes!

I'll be calling it christmas w/e they say.

JT-Fan
01-12-2005, 02:52 PM
We call it christmas holidays. Gosh how isit offenseive to other religions? Im not christian so what, doesnt mean you haev to re-name it. They forogt about the culture and history behind the festival. Sheesh.

Bef
01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Lmao, i seen something on tele about this. Its way pathetic. The countrys trying so hard not to be seen as racist that there being complete and utter jerrrks!

JT-Fan
01-12-2005, 02:58 PM
'tis like x-mas lights have been re-names winter lights.

issaa.
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
'tis like x-mas lights have been re-names winter lights.

Are you being serious?

Insanity
01-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I told everyone this in another thread x'D

JT-Fan
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Are you being serious?

Yep, christmas lights was considered "raicist" so tis called winter lights :l

issaa.
01-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Yep, christmas lights was considered "raicist" so tis called winter lights :l

Thats pathetic..

Absently
01-12-2005, 03:05 PM
How can Christmas be racist?? We celebrate it other religions celebrate certain things but they don't call it something different so it can't be racist

Dupion
01-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Christmas is a celebration not racism.

JT-Fan
01-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Thats pathetic..

Ex-ac-tlee.

Bef
01-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Its stupid. People have been celebrating Christmas in britain for like thousands of years or something. Britain has always been a Christain country. The forgeiners who are coming into our country need to respect our values.
If you go into somebody elses house you dont expect them to change to do things your way. You do things there way!

Fluffball
01-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Eveeryone i know celebrates christmas.. I wont call it winter festival. What a stupid name..

Absently
01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
*cough* Irish ppl celebrate it too*cough*

Chaz
01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
we don't moan at outher religions when they celebrate there religions!

if they dnt like it get the hell out our country!

whatisinternet
01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
*cough* Irish ppl celebrate it too*cough*

Every person in the world celebrates it :rolleyes:

It's weird, how the name Christmas is racist when it has CHRIST as in Jesus in it.

pechie100
01-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Why? because having a holiday dedicated to Christmas could be found racist to other ethnic religions. W'TF??

how sad
i ill complain if that does happen
alot of othe religions have other name for celebration times ao why cant we !

Fluffball
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Nobody will get used2 the name #its nearly christmas# WOOPSY i mean winter festival. "/

paradox
01-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Thats lame... they have there own celebrations, we have ours
Racism I think not.

Toes
01-12-2005, 04:15 PM

I am a Christian so you could find this one sided...

Christmas is to celebrate the birthday of Jesus not so we can get presents.
If 'other' religions find it offensive then don't buy presents. Don't recieve presents and pretend Christmas is even there!

Pamela
02-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Christmas is NOT racist, other religions have their celebrations. Your school is wrong because no one is turning round saying you cannot celebrate Christmas because you're from a different religion.

Vitality
02-12-2005, 04:33 PM
In bradford we have to call it
Festive holiday :rolleyes:

Awone
02-12-2005, 04:37 PM
thats just wrong. For a fact i am jewish, and we dotn celebrate christmas. Btu who says that christians can't call it chritma? i mean why did they invent the free country thing if your not going to be aloud to live freely?

that drive's me absolutley nuts. What's next? Jews can celebrate Hanukkah ?:@

Clo
03-12-2005, 01:38 PM
THAT'S BAD. I'M QUITE ANNOYED REALLY. WE CAN'T EVEN CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS NOW. IT'S ALL TO DO WITH THE ETHNIC THINGIES. I'M NOT BEING FUNNY OR ANYTHING BUT MOST PEOPLE IN THE UK CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS AND ONLY ABOUT 20% ARE ETHNIC AND THEY HAVE TO GO WITH WHAT THEY WANT? :s Whilst people have been celebrating christmas for centuries.

[Chris]
08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
yep i no its stupid same as "piggy bank" because asian ppl cant eat pig?

thats wot i heard (im not bein racist)

o and next i think "black" will be u'no the colour (again not bein racist)

most probably but wots offensive bout "piggy bank?"

Dave
08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I agree with that. This isnt a Christian country, so why have country holidays named after Christian holidays? Makes no scence.

But calling it winter festival sounds a bit stupid. Should be winter holidays, like hw summer holidays is summer holidays.

should also rename easter holidays scince that is also christian.

edit: and racist isnt the right word :S That makes no scence

GoldenMerc
09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
no tubby people:(

HUGECOOL
09-12-2005, 05:20 AM

Although that was horribly worded, this issue was predicted over a year ago. I live in the United States so I'm not sure what the political system in UK has laid out, but in the US, "church and state" are not allowed to be mixed.

Part of the reason for this disagreement is because the United States is all about diversity. The US encourages has many cultures blended in and everyone must learn to respect each other's rights. Since people of non-Christian backgrounds are citizens of the US, all the rights granted to any US citizen are granted to them.
Since saying "Merry/Happy Christmas" promotes Christianity, many people outside the Christian religion have taken notice of this and spoke their minds.

All the complaints were followed by a famous Supreme Court decision in Engel vs. Vitale.

One day in the fall of 1958, Steven Engel visited his son's classroom in the Searington Elementary School in the Herricks school district. Engel, a Jew, was not prepared for what he saw his son doing.

The Board of Education of Union Free School, New York was instructing the students of their district to say a specified nondenominational prayer each day. Some parents responded by calling the prayer a violation of the First Amendment's separation of church and state. Since the government funds the public school systems, allowing prayer inside a classroom means the US government is suppporting a religion. The court agreed with the parents, saying that: "it is no part of the business of government to compose official prayer."

After said event, many complaints related to separation of church and state have been filed and many more are predicted to come.

Michael.
09-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Although that was horribly worded, this issue was predicted over a year ago. I live in the United States so I'm not sure what the political system in UK has laid out, but in the US, "church and state" are not allowed to be mixed.

Part of the reason for this disagreement is because the United States is all about diversity. The US encourages has many cultures blended in and everyone must learn to respect each other's rights. Since people of non-Christian backgrounds are citizens of the US, all the rights granted to any US citizen are granted to them.
Since saying "Merry/Happy Christmas" promotes Christianity, many people outside the Christian religion have taken notice of this and spoke their minds.

All the complaints were followed by a famous Supreme Court decision in Engel vs. Vitale.

One day in the fall of 1958, Steven Engel visited his son's classroom in the Searington Elementary School in the Herricks school district. Engel, a Jew, was not prepared for what he saw his son doing.

The Board of Education of Union Free School, New York was instructing the students of their district to say a specified nondenominational prayer each day. Some parents responded by calling the prayer a violation of the First Amendment's separation of church and state. Since the government funds the public school systems, allowing prayer inside a classroom means the US government is suppporting a religion. The court agreed with the parents, saying that: "it is no part of the business of government to compose official prayer."

After said event, many complaints related to separation of church and state have been filed and many more are predicted to come.
In Britain, the church and state are connected unlike the USA from what you wrote.

Henry VIII broke from the Catholic Church in the 1600's and declared himself the leader of the Anglican Church. Therefore, Queen Elizabeth II must be incharge of a Christian Church, so how long will it be until the UK's Religion & Monarchy system are torn apart by the PC Brigade.

(Excuse me for the wording of that, as I'm tired and couldn't word it properly)

Anyway, Political Correctness is a load of balls anyway. We were doing displacement reactions in Science the other day, and I queried how long it would be until the PC Brigade ban it as it's 'unfair to less reactive metals'.

Blader_Boy
09-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I am stunned. I think Christian students should be allowed to re-name the religious periods of the other religions.. its only fair.

Actually that really makes me angry! How dare other people re-name a Christain holiday to suit them it disgusts me! I had alot of Sikh friends at school who happily celebrated 'Christmas' and thats how it should be!

SHEEPY
09-12-2005, 09:14 AM
if Christmas is racist, then asylum seekers illegally coming to this country and then sponging of benefits is racist towards me.

RedStratocas
09-12-2005, 01:57 PM

It may seem stupid to you that it isnt 'Christmas' anymore, but it really should make no difference. How comfterble would you be celebrating "Chanukah Holiday" or "Rhamadon Holiday"? I could understand your arguement it was changed to "We Arent Celebrating Christmas Anymore Because That Is Unfair Holiday", but they simply changed it to 'Winter', which Im pretty sure still applys with Christmas. Its just meant to give everyone a chance to celebrate with out being uncomfterble. And its not like they changed things from christmas and changed them to winter.
Like in Chicago, they officially changed the name of the Christmas Tree in the middle of town to a 'Holiday Tree'. That one is just wrong because they actually changed something about christmas. However, changing 'Christmas' to 'Holiday' for a simple event that doesnt really change Christmas isnt and shouldnt be a big deal.

Michael.
09-12-2005, 05:50 PM
It may seem stupid to you that it isnt 'Christmas' anymore, but it really should make no difference. How comfterble would you be celebrating "Chanukah Holiday" or "Rhamadon Holiday"? I could understand your arguement it was changed to "We Arent Celebrating Christmas Anymore Because That Is Unfair Holiday", but they simply changed it to 'Winter', which Im pretty sure still applys with Christmas. Its just meant to give everyone a chance to celebrate with out being uncomfterble. And its not like they changed things from christmas and changed them to winter.
Like in Chicago, they officially changed the name of the Christmas Tree in the middle of town to a 'Holiday Tree'. That one is just wrong because they actually changed something about christmas. However, changing 'Christmas' to 'Holiday' for a simple event that doesnt really change Christmas isnt and shouldnt be a big deal.
You are wrong.
Ever noticed the similarity between Jesus Christ and Christmas.

The bit where you say that they are changing Christmas because they've renamed the tree really annoys me as you do not know what Christmas is about. Christmas is a Christian festival because Christ was (supposedly) born on that day. Did you know that the Christmas Tree became tradition in the 1800's, some 1800 years after Christ was born, yet therefore, it's more important than the biggest religion on Earth's God?

As you can tell, I've had a bad day today and I am being quite forceful with my arguements.

brunojrthechao
09-12-2005, 06:01 PM
"we wish you a merry.... winter holiday"

Political corectness gone mad:$

Hecho
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok im not being racist here at all but when people move to our country they whould abide by our laws just like we would if we went to theres but for them to come here and actually try and change ur laws

Michael.
09-12-2005, 06:08 PM
we are a Christian country? Why do we have to celebrate 'Winter Holiday' instead of Christmas?!

NekkLe
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll agree with the points Micheal made aswell.
But as England slowly becomes to benothing more than a multi-cultural pit, who are we going to turn to?
People seek help and find themselves in England which is perfectly fine, aslong as they do what there expected to, work, pay tax, pay bills and get treated equally to everyone else in this big community. If you live in England you'll understand the scenario and what I'm talking about.

My view on this subject is, I feel that its foreign word over the home country, its like England is being ruled and benefitted more for asylum seekers, which it is. The government don't see what there fellow countrymen need, its to show gratitude to the UN.
My conclusion to this, I celebrate 'dwali' and various other festivals if my freinds are celebrating them, its fun. But if a holiday such as Christmas is being changed (or trying to..) it does scale down to a lowsey government.

la-ur-en
10-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Being religious isn't being racist. If you start making fun of other people's religion or using there religion to go against someone then THAT is racist. There is alot worse racist things' going on in the world than the names of our religious holidays, and if i was the government, i would be concentrating on these things, as some christians might find it offensive to not be able to say the proper word 'christmas' as there holiday, after all, christmas is to celebrate the birth of christ and isn't just about the presents !

mynameishelen!
10-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Lissie152
10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Whatever happens.. it will always be christmas to me :)

Jashmine
10-12-2005, 09:07 AM
So complain that Winter Festival is racist. Christmas is celebrated at the same time everywhere in the world - but winter isn't at the same time. So by celebrating the "winter festival" you're being racist towards anyone from the southern hemisphere >_> It's just stupid as what they're saying...

Clo
10-12-2005, 08:19 PM
if Christmas is racist, then asylum seekers illegally coming to this country and then sponging of benefits is racist towards me.

I totally agree with that. I'm getting quite sick of it all now. Racism works both ways, i've said that for ages now. And the other day my headteacher said the same.

Eckuii
10-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Ill still be calling it Christmas :)

Bear-Max
10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I think it's pathetic. You don't see Divali and Ead being forced to change names because it might offend Christians.

What makes me laugh is that it's not the Muslim, Sikh or Hindu communities that are making these decisions; it's the local councils who think they know what's best. Obviously they're wrong.

The whole "racism works both ways" thing is totally right too. There's nothing more annoying than racism against caucasians (white people) being overlooked simply because they make up the majority in this country. And almost as annoying is the way some people of ethnicity like to "play the race card" when something doesn't go their way; you can't have an arguement with some people without them claiming that you're saying what you are because of the colour of their skin.

I'm growing rather tired of it all.

YellowParasol
10-12-2005, 10:53 PM

Has this happened to anyone here? What are your thoughts about this?That is a bit Stupid. ;l

NekkLe
10-12-2005, 11:01 PM
That is a bit Stupid. ;l
Yep, very pointless and in that sense, very stupid.

Racism is used in any scenario, people resolve to it because they simply can't take the strain of say, an obstacle. It happens with every ethnic origin, and this is what causes fights/battles/killings/wars.
Pretty pathetic, but thats what a situation can level down to :rolleyes:

Governments, councils, boroughs decide or help decide whats best for there community, disturbing a matter will obviously result into something, and they wonder why young offenders carry knives and racial violence occurs.

Power of today is abused to an extent that it rebounds back onto itself.

Frisked
11-12-2005, 08:20 PM
0mg, thats sooooo lame. Its named Christmas to celebrate a religious festival!!

Dave
11-12-2005, 09:55 PM
0mg, thats sooooo lame. Its named Christmas to celebrate a religious festival!!

Yes exactly, but not everyone is Christian. :/
I'm not christian, and I think it's a bit odd that I have 'Christmas' Holidays.

Same with Easter holidays as well

brodeo
11-12-2005, 10:05 PM
They renamed christmas in birmingham 'Winterfest' last year. I ROFL when i heard.

mynameishelen!
11-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Ill still be calling it Christmas :)

beth
11-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Ive heard about this before.
You're not allowed to say "Christmas number 1" anymore for the music charts. It's meant to be "winter festivals number 1"

mynameishelen!
11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Ive heard about this before.
You're not allowed to say "Christmas number 1" anymore for the music charts. It's meant to be "winter festivals number 1"

That is way lame.

Steven
11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Alreet.
I guess since many people for years and years have been saying "Christmas" they will continue to do so, no matter what laws are inforced.

-Take-Me-Emo-
12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
i think it is very wrong to chnage the name of a holiday in our contry if people find it racist they should go to their country

Dave
12-12-2005, 10:45 PM
i think it is very wrong to chnage the name of a holiday in our contry if people find it racist they should go to their country

It's not a country holiday! It's a christian holiday! Not every english person is Christian.

mynameishelen!
12-12-2005, 10:50 PM
It's not a country holiday! It's a christian holiday! Not every english person is Christian.

I think you will find Christmas is a Christian holiday..
And the country as a whole is counted as christain

Dave
12-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I think you will find Christmas is a Christian holiday..
And the country as a whole is counted as christain

I know Christmas is a Christian holiday, that is exactlymy point.

And you cannot call this a christian country.

There are all kinds of religions in this country, muslims, jews, sikes(cant spell sorry) and all kinds of other stuff.

I'm not Christian infact.

mynameishelen!
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I know Christmas is a Christian holiday, that is exactlymy point.

And you cannot call this a christian country.

There are all kinds of religions in this country, muslims, jews, sikes(cant spell sorry) and all kinds of other stuff.

I'm not Christian infact.

Yeah but if Christian holiday names have to change for other religions, then Christains have the right to demand all other religious holidays are renamed so they're not religious.

Dave
12-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah but if Christian holiday names have to change for other religions, then Christains have the right to demand all other religious holidays are renamed so they're not religious.

What? they're not re-naming the religious holiday. They're renaiming the school break. :S

Ezzie.
13-12-2005, 11:40 AM
That is pathetic bah :(

FrozenWhisper
18-12-2005, 03:54 PM

WTH I anit Christain. But I celebrate xmas. OMG lol thats abit ummm stupid.

?WhyNot?
18-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Now that's stupid..

Herman
18-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Lol, I don't celebrate Christmas, but I think that's wrong. People should have the right to say and celebrate Christmas. Pathetic laws.

Dave
18-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Lol, I don't celebrate Christmas, but I think that's wrong. People should have the right to say and celebrate Christmas. Pathetic laws.

They are not re-naming Christmas! they are renaming the holiday break. Is no-one reading the first post?

Code
18-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Does that mean that in years to come we'll have something dumb like the "Kwanza Holidays" or something instead of xmas? England is mainly christian.

Some kid was sent home from school a few weeks ago for wearing a cross (necklace) after being told by the school "it's just a trinket and not a sign of religion", whereas sikhs at the same school were allowed to carry "religious" knives!

We're being alienated in our own country.

NekkLe
19-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Does that mean that in years to come we'll have something dumb like the "Kwanza Holidays" or something instead of xmas? England is mainly christian.

Some kid was sent home from school a few weeks ago for wearing a cross (necklace) after being told by the school "it's just a trinket and not a sign of religion", whereas sikhs at the same school were allowed to carry "religious" knives!

We're being alienated in our own country.
Lol "Kwanza Holidays" ;)^

The situation of this is pretty pathetic. Like i've said, England is being run by a bunch of ****s, if they feel that Chrismas holidays should be named 'Winter Festival' just to benefit others then the scenario seems outragous.
Just a petty excuse to add to there brownie point score.

pechie100
19-12-2005, 12:25 AM
how rubbish
if they do im gonna go up to tony blair and poke him in the eye >3

-bminus
19-12-2005, 01:16 AM
I think they say its racist because Christmas means "the coming of Christ." (emphasis on Christ) Not all religions worship the same God. Christians worship Christ, but muslims might worship Alla or something like that. And to be honest, some religions do get offended when people greet them "Merry Christmas." Thats why sometimes people use X-mas to get away from using Christ. Although its kind of ironic how X is the first letter of the Greek word "Christ"

NekkLe
19-12-2005, 11:16 AM
I think they say its racist because Christmas means "the coming of Christ." (emphasis on Christ) Not all religions worship the same God. Christians worship Christ, but muslims might worship Alla or something like that. And to be honest, some religions do get offended when people greet them "Merry Christmas." Thats why sometimes people use X-mas to get away from using Christ. Although its kind of ironic how X is the first letter of the Greek word "Christ"
Good points^

But if Christians were to greet muslims with 'Merry Christmas', shouldn't they accept it? Afterall, they do live in our country, what more could they expect? A free house, car, education, health :rolleyes:

!-.Scammed.-!
19-12-2005, 07:13 PM
That is just really stupid, because you celebrate christmas as the birth of jesus. Thats what started it all. It is about family and stuff, and if ur not christian, you can still celebrate it, just not the religious way! Thats really sad!

Cypher-
19-12-2005, 11:22 PM

Political Incorrectness* :)

This is stupid and it offends christians if it happens, The problem with our government especially is they really do not have a clue what to do. They dont help to stop the proper racism happening but do stupid things like this to show that they are trying :s

Schools or the Board of Governers will change the name thinking that other ethnic groups will be happy, Im sure if you asked someone from an ethnic group they would laugh at this stupid decision, plus it offends christians that have the right to celebrate the annual culmination of their faith.

ridgeway77
20-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Right, this racism thing has just come out of control. For instance Baa Baa BLACK Sheep is supposed to be racist LOL and a black board is called a chalk board thats just wierd LOL:d

Concentric
20-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I agree with the theme of this thread and most of the comments made, but i think some of you are getting the wrong idea.

Britain isn't a Christian country, although it may have been some years ago. I'm sure we all accept that there are different religions and races among us, and we should therefore try to practice our religion in harmony with the religion of the next man. Admittedly a few concessions may have to be made in order for the religions to work simulatenously, but no religion should have to change the way they practice their beliefs just because one of the others doesn't feel the similarly inclined.
In the same way as religions other than Christianity in Britain, such as Judaism, Hinduism and so on, would not like their festivals and religious practices to be altered, people must realise that Christians would be (and are) similarly disheartened. Just because Christianity is seen as being far more widespread and 'the first man here', doesn't mean it should be the one to concede to the others.
I'm really appaulled at these ignorant, PC minded people who feel they have to wrap every sharp corner of schools, and indeed our society, in bubble wrap so that any visiting religion will be immune to even the slightest frustration at the presence of our nations Christian principles.

What i'm trying to say is, in the same way that i am happy for a neighbour of mine to practice his religious activities, despite me not feeling the same way, i would expect him to accept whatever celebrations i was to partake in. Although Christmas is of course a Christian festival, i don't see any reason why other religions should not either be happy for us or decent enough to not object. Having said that, it's often not the people of other religions who object, but those who are Christian themselves and are simply paranoid about causing offense.

:paschendale:
22-12-2005, 04:01 PM
That is ridiculous. Yes England is multi-cultural but the original practised religion or whatever its called is Christianity. Why should we change the name of it just because lots of other races are in England.

Dave
22-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Other races? o_O I think you mean religions?

I've said this millions of times, and i don't think people are reading the first thread propperly. They are not renaming Christmas, the Christian festival. They are renaming the school break called; Christmas holidays.

because not everyone is christian, and non-christian people are having 'christmas holidays' which has nothing to do with their own religion. Myself included. Christmas itself is still called christmas, and can be celebrated in exactly the same way.

And if you still feal offended about the school break being renamed, think of how you would feel about renaming it Chaunuka Holidays. You'd feel wierd because you seem to think this is a Christian country. but it's not. Not in the slightest bit.

NekkLe
23-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Other races? o_O I think you mean religions?

I've said this millions of times, and i don't think people are reading the first thread propperly. They are not renaming Christmas, the Christian festival. They are renaming the school break called; Christmas holidays.

because not everyone is christian, and non-christian people are having 'christmas holidays' which has nothing to do with their own religion. Myself included. Christmas itself is still called christmas, and can be celebrated in exactly the same way.

And if you still feal offended about the school break being renamed, think of how you would feel about renaming it Chaunuka Holidays. You'd feel wierd because you seem to think this is a Christian country. but it's not. Not in the slightest bit.
Well, I could disagree with you on that point. England is a christian country, most schools in England will be named after a church, and they may even teach there pupils about Jesus etc...
Yes, England is a country of many ethnic origins, but that doesn't and won't have any affect on a the christian religion because this is what is tought in this country.

Rou
23-12-2005, 05:43 PM
These things were they say it could be considered as racist are stupid , i am friends with alot of coloured people... They dont care or consider it racist...

mike475
25-12-2005, 12:28 AM
No offence or nothing but if you dont like it or whatever, go somewhere else

Pulchritudinous
28-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Wo, how stupid, there's no freedom in this world anymore, I feel like moving to a remote island with no laws.

I was searching for something on google once and came across a racist website saying 'baa baa black sheep' should have an alternative 'baa baa white sheep', I felt like going through the whole registration process just to say how lame that is, but then realised it was pointless.

Italic
28-12-2005, 08:19 AM
That's stupid, not racist at all.

Luayminator
28-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Im not christian and i dont celebrate christmas but its for christians and some other religions to enjoy i dont think it should be renamed

Jasmin
28-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I'll still be calling it the Christmas Holidays
Because its not racist :l Christians celebrate their holidays, Hindus,muslins,jews,and others celebrate theres, its simple really.

Broken-Tear
28-12-2005, 11:42 AM
It's really annoying now that they are changing everything over here so it wont be racist. But if you went over to a different country where there is a different religiong nothing would have chagned for us. I still say christmas anyways..Well that's probably because my school is a christian school but yer.

wrongy
28-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I only have one simple word for this LAME
This is really dumb now because next they will be banning christmas songs.

Rob
28-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I hate England. They let all these immigrants in, and blair says that he's cut down on them. I don't mean to be racist, but England hardly has any English people in here anymore. And now, we're being told we can't call it Christmas, because it's racist!?! This is a brilliant example of how stupid Blair is. Vote Conservative.

NekkLe
29-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I hate England. They let all these immigrants in, and blair says that he's cut down on them. I don't mean to be racist, but England hardly has any English people in here anymore. And now, we're being told we can't call it Christmas, because it's racist!?! This is a brilliant example of how stupid Blair is. Vote Conservative.
I think many people feel the same and its down to the EU. I'll post a link to my post about it all. The link http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=129371&page=2

bobbles
29-12-2005, 04:58 PM
ok thats messed up people should respect each others religions I bet if you asked schoolchildren of other religions thay would call it the "christmas holidays" because it is the norm in britain and most other countries

nutters.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!