PDA

View Full Version : PSP or iPod Video?

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Although they aren’t necessarily positioned against each other in the marketplace, the fact is that they will be competing for buyer’s dollars. Many factors will go into making purchasing decisions, from content to features to price.

Video
Both machines are highly video-capable, although the 320x240 resolution of the video iPod’s 2.5” screen can’t really match the 480x272 4.3” widescreen of the PSP. Unfortunately for Sony and for buyers, it’s not that simple. Video on the iPod is stored on its built-in hard drive, compared to the rather expensive — and not included — Memory Stick media the PSP uses. They play very similar video formats, but the integration/transfer process of the iPod through iTunes is much more user-friendly than the DIY nature of transferring video to the PSP. Battery life is also an issue, and the iPod wins the battle here by a couple of hours, partly due to its smaller screen.

The bigger issue with video, however, is content. Sony is doing a great job of getting the big movie studios behind the PSP’s UMD format — but that doesn’t mean that Apple isn’t thinking of doing the same with digital downloads from the iTunes Music (Media?) Store. Over 2,000 music videos and some ABC television episodes are available for direct download for only $1.99 a piece — a far cry from the $19.99 - $29.99 you are going to pay for a UMD.

Supposing that Apple is able to keep future movie downloads in the $9.99 range, this could be a huge advantage. That, and the fact that the user doesn’t have to carry a huge stack of UMDs everywhere — it’s all inside the tiny iPod. Then again, the iPod’s smaller screen negates some of the device’s advantage here, but in the end, Sony really needs to consider a more seamless manner in which to offer video content for the PSP at a reasonable price and with a better method of managing the movies once they are on the user’s computer.

Music

Once again, both devices are highly-capable music players, and again the same basic problems arise. Sony doesn’t have anything that even closely resembles an answer to the iTunes Music Store (nor can the PSP natively play songs purchased there), and any music a user wants to listen to must be stored on a Memory Stick card, costing extra on top of the PSP’s $299 price, while the iPod has storage for roughly 10,000 songs built-in. The battery life argument just doesn’t exist — the iPod wins, hands down. Also, the iPod has the PSP beaten again in the transferring/organizing department, and there is no comparison between the user interfaces of the two players — the iPod’s simplicity is simply unmatched.

Pictures

For pictures, much like for video, it would at first seem that the device with the largest screen wins — but again, there are some other issues. Transfer and storage again become hang-ups in the PSP’s argument when it comes to digital photos — never-mind the fact that with a $30 accessory you can actually upload pictures directly from a camera to an iPod and view them on its screen, a feat that is simply impossible on the PSP. Sure, users can remove a Memory Stick from a Sony digital camera and view the pictures on the PSP’s screen, but there is no way to transfer them off, leaving you room to take more pictures. The pics may look better on the PSP’s screen, but there is a price to pay in the way of Memory Cards, transfer hassles, and compatibility. Plus, the iPod natively supports the viewing of stored photos on a TV through video out — something the PSP can’t claim.

Games

Finally, somewhere where the PSP has no competition. The iPod’s paltry offering of Music Quiz, Solitaire, Brick and Parachute are no match for the PSP’s growing library of excellent titles — not to mention the fact that the click wheel is far from an ideal game controller. At nearly $50 a pop, the PSP’s games don’t come cheap, but they are something the iPod simply can’t offer, and will make the difference in a lot of purchasing decisions.

Intangibles

Yes, the PSP does have the really handy feature of having a Wi-Fi browser — but that browser comes at the expense of battery life, and the PSP doesn’t have an answer to the iPod’s tight integration of Contacts, Calendars, and Alarms. The iPod’s PDA functionality almost negates the PSP’s browser — but not quite. If I need to check my email, I need my PSP — if I need a contact, sure, I can check it on my iPod with ease — but I can also find it online with the PSP.

Overall

Although this really isn’t a fair comparison due to the PSP being a game machine, there are some people out there considering the multimedia capabilities of these two devices as strongly if not more strongly than they are their gaming capabilities. Sony needs a strategic plan that includes easy-to-use, cross-platform media organization and transfer software, reduced storage pricing, and an easier way for PSP owners to access digital content. UMD movies are great, but it would help if they would give owners somewhere to play them at home — no one really wants to pay $30.00 for a movie they can only watch on a 4.3” screen when they can get the DVD for $5 cheaper — or more. Start packaging UMDs with DVDs, make a UMD player for the home — or better yet build it into the PS3 — and lower the cost of stand alone discs.

The PSP is a wonderful game machine, and it is a joy to own — but if Sony doesn’t pull together and start taking advantage of the PSP’s multimedia capabilities, they are going to lose sales of PSPs to the video iPod. It’s just that simple.

Mr.Kylee
28-12-2005, 02:49 AM
I love my PSP pl0x

- Dan

Laura.
28-12-2005, 03:05 AM
iPod video

For me :)

Linguistic
28-12-2005, 03:06 AM
I would say the iPod Video, considering I don't play games and such.

kasi
28-12-2005, 03:08 AM
neither k.

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 03:09 AM
iPod Video for me. x3

I used to be faithful to Sony until they started advertising the PSP as an "iPod Killer".

A lot of new media players want to be "iPod killers" now. Poor iPod.

Laura.
28-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Lol. On the iPod, I think they should allow you to buy games off a prgram and then download to the iPod.

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 03:14 AM
Well, actually, there are programs available to add games to the iPod. ;O
I added Snake on mine, lol. There's tons more but I like Snake. ;P

I can give you the name of the software once I find it again if you'd like. It's very useful. 8D

le harry
28-12-2005, 04:36 AM
iPod ;D

RuthLess
28-12-2005, 08:53 AM
I think I'd stick with a PSP as I already have a MP3 player I am happy with.

Craig
28-12-2005, 09:57 AM
iPod video ;D

Alexisonfire
28-12-2005, 09:59 AM
iPod Video totally.

Dupion
28-12-2005, 10:08 AM
iPod video ;)

Luayminator
28-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Definatly PSP, cuz you can nearly put anything on it, you cant play on an iPod =)

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Definatly PSP, cuz you can nearly put anything on it, you cant play on an iPod =)

Well, actually, you can. It's just that the iPod does not offer game titles as does the PSP. The iPods games are stored inside. ;o

You can nearly put anything on a PSP but you end up paying about twice it's value to really enjoy it's multimedia capabilities. :/

Magnet
28-12-2005, 03:25 PM
PSP and iPod Video, like you've mentioned are diffferent things, why not compare the Zen to the iPod?

NekkLe
28-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Creative Zens arn't all that great, a local game shop of mine sells a few MP3's such as the Creative Zen's. He said the majority of them he sold, got brought back to him because they were unreliable.

Anyway, I'd stick with my PSP, in my view its more flexible. By that I mean it's basically the best buy for gadgets. I'm sure most of us are aware of its features. iPods for me are going to waste, I wouldn't bother paying that sort of money on them. Why? because very soon the music that we download illegally off Limewire, WinMX and others will soon be deleted or legally sell music. Most music you will have to pay for.

paradox
28-12-2005, 03:38 PM
PSP, because Im happy with my Ipod nano :) and I like games like GTA etc..

Alann
28-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Id prefer a PSP as you can play videos on it and stuff and I can listen to music on my phone or my iPod nano.

Baving
28-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I prefer the psp :P

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 04:56 PM
PSP and iPod Video, like you've mentioned are diffferent things, why not compare the Zen to the iPod?

I decided to compare the iPod Video to the PSP because many people seem to think they both belong in the same category. Even though it's unfair to compare these two devices, it was necessary to point out that there really is no competition in the end, lol.

I'm also thinking about making another thread on the PSP alone and have people open their eyes a little.

Obsessed? Eh, maybe. I have much time on my hands and so very little to do. ;)

Rawr
28-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Well i just orderd my ipod video and it will hopefully come in a few days. So has to be ipod for me. :)

HUGECOOL
28-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Well i just orderd my ipod video and it will hopefully come in a few days. So has to be ipod for me. :)

W00t!
Which one did you order? :)

firepyro
25-01-2006, 09:23 PM
psp all the way

Wootzeh
25-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Why bump? idiot.

RedStratocas
25-01-2006, 10:21 PM

Creative makes the best MP3 players. The zen micro can do everything the mini could do and more, and for less money. So there is no reason whatsoever to buy the mini over it unless you want to be 'in'.

The video is alright, but the nano is crap. Who looks at pictures 1 X 1 inch? Waste of money.

My brother got a video, he said he'll never watch videos, his friends say that too. I never would either.

HUGECOOL
25-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm still in love with my anorexic music player.

How can Creative make the best MP3 players when Apple is holding an 83% marketshare?

Just last yearly quarter alone, they [Apple] sold about 24 million iPods worldwide. That's way more than you could say for the Zen player, which sold (inser number here).

I don't know how many they sold, nor do I care, I'm sure the number was lower than 24 million.

NekkLe
26-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Figures can say something..that the product is popular, its favoured by most and that it could be the top of its kind throughout the world.
However, as most people seem to be blurred in a vision of iPod fantasy, there forgetting that theres competition in the industry of MP3.
Creative are very good at this but not enough people pay attention to there products because most people are in love with iPods. Creative are reliable with all products and for me, I havn't had any problems with my MP3.

So, you can't really dig on Creative, an MP3 is a product that suites somebody, there peronslallitly and whatever love they have for it. iPods seem to have that but I don't think people have them because of that, maybe just to feel cool "/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!