PDA

View Full Version : How to make a forum... (phpBB2)

McForesT
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Well, finally finished this tut. Hope you like it :)

1. First you need a webhost that have MYSQL and atleast 10 mb's of space with ftp space (Press here to find a good hoster (http://www.habboxforum.com/search.php?)

2. Download phpBB full package from www.phpbb.com and upload the unzipped folder to your ftp. (Folder name: "phpBB2")

3. IMPORTANT before u logout of the ftp remember to change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)

4. Now goto www.YourSite.com/install/install.php and enter all the information there, and there it will ask for MySQL info, that should have gotten by your hoster, rest is basic, like admin account. PRESS ONLY 1 TIME ON THE "NEXT" BOTTON as it then will overwrite the MySQL database and then u can just start over, and that's 1 of the hard parts, as u have to goto the mysql database and delete it from there. Alsolso remember Remember that a domain name does NOT include http://! Enter just the domain name, eg. www.mydomain.tld and NOT http://www.mydomain.tld/

5. IMPORTANT After install remember to change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)

6. Once you have installed phpBB2 you MUST ensure you remove the entire install/ and contrib/ directories in the ftp. Leaving these in place is a very serious potential security issue which may lead to deletion or alteration of files, etc. Please note that until these directories are remove phpBB2 will not operate and a warning message will be displayed. Beyond these essential deletions you may also wish to delete the docs/ directories if you wish.

With these directories deleted you should proceed to the administration panel. Depending on how the installation completed you may have been directed there automatically. If not, login as the administrator you specified during install/upgrade and click the "Administration Panel" link at the bottom of any page. Ensure that details specified in General -> Configuration are correct!

-------------------------------------

Some taken from the readme and some created by myself.

Hope it helps alot of ur questions, feel free to PM me for questions :)

McForesT
03-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Question: Can I get this post stickied ?

tularis
03-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Nice tutorial, an addition would be images/screenshots but judging by the detail - they're not needed :)

yonderdoo
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
UR FùCKING GAY MUTHAFùCKER FùCK YA MUTHA U SHíTTY PIECEO F SHíT!1111

Concentric
04-12-2004, 01:09 PM
You sound like a bit of an expert but the tutorial isn't that easy to follow, maybe spend a bit more time making it more clear, that would be fab :)

AvengeX
10-12-2004, 06:21 AM
PHPBB2 isn't as good as InvisionBoard or vBulletin. You can install them for free if you have your own webhost on cPanel. I host with it, pretty cool..

tularis
10-12-2004, 12:42 PM
PhpBB is easy to use, that's what I like about it :) vBulletin and Invision have a decent security system so i'd recommend either of them...

andrewdale3
10-12-2004, 10:54 PM
nice tut, even tho it comes with phpBB, in the readme, but i guess this one is easear to read ;)

JackHb
13-12-2004, 07:16 PM
invision is very easy to use once you get the hang of it,
php is just confusing :P

McForesT
14-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Well it's a bit fast made and atm i got not much time, as I have my Networking exam in 3 weeks !

McForesT
14-12-2004, 07:18 PM
You sound like a bit of an expert but the tutorial isn't that easy to follow, maybe spend a bit more time making it more clear, that would be fab :)

Well, I got 3 years experiance with MySQL, and 4 years of experiance with PHP !

Sorry for double posting :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!