PDA

View Full Version : The Root of All Evil?

Concentric
09-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Did anyone watch the first part of this Channel 4 programme by Richard Dawkins? I thought he talked the most sense that i've ever heard anyone talk before, and was amazed by the extremist views displayed by the American Evangelical priest and the Muslim extremist shop owner. I couldn't agree more with what he said and would like to hear if anyone disagreed with him and why.
If you didn't watch the first part i can strongly recommend the second which i think is on next week.

Mentor
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
****. I realy wanted to see that and i missed it :(
I Agree with the guys point, but i disagree with his method, If he trys to say what people can and cannot do, he is comiting the primary evil religion is responacble for imo, then again this is from second hand refrance as i missed the program :(

any idea when a repeate may be on

Concentric
09-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's the webpage on it if that helps; http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/rootofevil.html

He wasn't telling people what they should and shouldn't do, and even if he was he wouldn't have been doing any worse than the religious leaders who do exactly that to their "flock".

Mentor
09-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Here's the webpage on it if that helps; http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/rootofevil.html

He wasn't telling people what they should and shouldn't do, and even if he was he wouldn't have been doing any worse than the religious leaders who do exactly that to their "flock".
I didnt say religions dont do that, i agree with what hes saying, what i dont agree with his idea to cast out religion fullstop. Hes just doing what there doing.
Theres a realy good quote from the buddah which i think makes a far better phiopjhy, but i cant be aresed to find it, it sums up to a very well put argument to make your own descing based on yourself and NOT to listen to what anyone else tells you, else it wont be the right decsion for you, etc etc etc.

Concentric
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
i suppose that's fair enough but he wasn't forcing the viewers to follow the scientific view of nature, rather just showing how absurd religion is in comparison.

Mentor
09-01-2006, 10:08 PM
As i said i missed the program so am unable to say how he put it across im makeing asumptions based on the taglines of the show etc "/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!