PDA

View Full Version : Decent way to get a site Popular?

Barwy
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I co-own a site, need it popular once again

Used to be, then it all went wrong

Can people post ways on how to get the name out there and get it noticed, as i dont have many new ideas

Jamie.
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I co-own a site, need it popular once again

Used to be, then it all went wrong

Can people post ways on how to get the name out there and get it noticed, as i dont have many new ideas
advertise

DanWilliamson
11-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey.

The Design Aspect

Thanks for a top rating article for helping me out when replying too this:

You need a top of the range design in which it's easy too navigate around, clear to see the header and content. You need too have taken your time with the design, change it every few months ( 4-5 ) to keep things interesting.

Try not too use the more 'popular' things as it shows skill if you use something thats not as good, too a good use if you understand that, say don't use a Javascript/DHTML drop-down menu as they're all the range at the moment, create something like a nice rollover CSS effect with nice images for buttons and effects.

Try too make your design as well as you can and not base it on peoples, make it original, spend time doing a few different drafts on each layout.

The Coding

This is sometimes the most important thing when viewing a site, first of all make sure your site is cross browser compatible because don't forget not everyone uses IE I mean not everyone uses the same OS so they have different browsers. You have too consider getting your site compatible with famous browsers suchs as

Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Safari
Opera

You may be thinking, oh hell how do I get my site good as good in all these, in most cases you can only get them the same in a few of them, and in each browser they will have something different.

There are a few ways you may attempt too code like this. Practice clean validated code.

Try and make sure it's validated too the W3 Standards. http://www.pixel2life.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16864

That links an example of a tutorial of IE and Firefox on Pixel 2 Life. What I try and do when coding a site is use XHTML, CSS, PHP For the main code.
I tend not too use tables as some browsers just plainly don't like them, I also use a lot of PHP like for the navigation and cool effects like on a form, or even a forum.

The Content And Development

Well this in my view is the MOST important of all in a Website.

It needs too have good content and be updated regulaly, like when my site opens I will update every day even if there is no good news, I will simply let the viewers know that it will be updated.

The main problem with websites nowadays is people lose interest so easily and then don't update it, people hate this and decide they don't want too view and visit this site anymore.

And another thing, don't use awful slang when writing, use correct English Gramma, unless your French or something.

Hope this helps:

Best Regards.

Dan

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!