PDA

View Full Version : A Revolutionary Strategy

HUGECOOL
15-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Nintendo has certainly made a splash in 2005 with the unveiling of their Revolution, a system that truly enters the next-gen race with it's own persona and style. Small, efficient, innovative. The little box that could has sparked one of the biggest debates in video game history as well as reignited an age-old fanboy war. A battle fought with arguments of specs versus innovation and graphics versus gameplay, Nintendo has once again shaken the foundation of gaming, and everyone is trembling with anticipation on how it's going to turn out.

But what exactly was Nintendo thinking? In a world where it seems it's all about the graphics, why would Nintendo shun the high specs, HD, and mind-blowing visuals in exchange for a one-handed remote? Can you already hear the whispers of Nintendo “going the way of Sega” sneaking up on you?

Well, maybe it's time to tread to where few dare to venture: the corporate world. While fans of a particular system or company duke it out with specs and sales figures, in all reality it's all meaningless. All of it. Specs, innovation, sales, hardware, software, games, online, HD; every little factor that people bend over backwards to defend in the billion and one debates going on all over the world right now, and in just about every message board on the net, all of it is meaningless at the bottom line. What we have here is not a battle of consoles, but a battle of corporations. Three enormous companies battling in a red, bloody ocean that is the market of video games. Their end goal is shared not only between the three of them, but between all of the corporate world: to turn over the biggest profit possible.

In this, believe it or not, Nintendo is king.

If it's one thing Nintendo understands, it's that no matter how enjoyable their games are, or even how many diehard fans they have, if they don't make any money they'll soon be out of business. Nintendo understands this because they must to continue to survive, a hindrance not suffered by Sony and Microsoft. Sony has a multi-billion dollar movie and music industry to pad their way, and Microsoft of course is the most financially safe business this side of the sun. If they make mistakes in video games, their other divisions simply bail them out: something it should be noted that has been happening for years now. Nintendo on the other hand suffers from having a one-track mind: if they can't succeed in gaming, they're dead.

Now, all this should not be news, it's been said for years. Many, including myself, will go on how Nintendo is the true winner of the current-gen, turning over a solid multi-million dollar profit while Sony barely scratches itself out of the red and Microsoft sits in a 4 billion dollar hole. In all respects, it's true, Nintendo came out on top this round. Problem is, they didn't set themselves up to well to do it again...

Nintendo's been on a downward spiral since the N64 days. The rise of the Playstation has took a huge niche out of the Big N's console market. Driven by a enormous marketing strategy, Sony has effectively turned Nintendo into a joke in the minds of gamers. While they continue to dominate Japan and the handheld market worldwide, people continue to look at Nintendo more like a children's toy company than a video game company. While Sony and Microsoft vie for control of the hardcore gamer market, Nintendo is usually left out of the picture entirely, having trouble even getting a footnote in most of the media's mind. It doesn't matter how many mature titles they have, or how many quality games they make, the fact of the matter that the general public and media does not see Nintendo as a major player in the realm of video games anymore, no matter how untrue that might be.

So what is Nintendo to do against the forces that are Sony and Microsoft? In a competition where no matter what you do, you can hardly get people to so much as look at you let alone respect you, how can you defeat these deep-pocketed big dogs?

Simple. Make the competition irrelevant.

Nintendo of America's marketing guru Reggie Fils-Aime has spoke at numerous presentations, making mention of Nintendo's next-gen plans, put into motion in what is referred to as a “blue ocean strategy.” It's really a simple concept: If you can't beat your competition, then don't try to. Of course, that certainly sounds good on paper, but it definitely gets more complicated figuring out just how to do it.

So let's take a look at a bit of a different battle first, one that closely resembles the coming next-gen war: the portable market. The Nintendo DS and Sony PSP have been going at it for around a year now, and while the PSP has captured all the buzz and media, the DS continues to come out on top. How can that be? It doesn't make sense, the PSP has all the hype, and Sony seems to practically own the media, with almost every talk show and whatnot having it on their “must-have” Christmas lists. The system is superb graphically, with almost console-level graphics and numerous multimedia capabilities.

Well, while Sony may market the PSP as a game system, the fact of the matter is that the PSP and DS are hitting different markets. To better visualize the difference, let's compare the two. No, not with specs or sales or anything, but let's instead use a strategy canvas. For those not familiar with strategy canvases, they're excellent tools for helping to show visually the differences between business strategies, and how to identify strengths and weaknesses of any particular product or marketing strategy.

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/3456/stratcanvasdspsp0vc.jpg

Here we can get a better idea of how the companies are competing and what strategies their using. While the PSP is obviously taking a higher-end route, touting a powerful, appealing machine, the Nintendo DS is focused 100% on gaming and functionality. As you can see, the two are polar opposites of each other. This gives us a bit more insight into what's actually happening...

It turns out, the two are SO opposite, they're fighting over completely different markets. Sure, there's a decent bit of overlap, but in all reality there's quite a bit of separation. While the two clash over the hardcore gaming market, Sony is competing in the multimedia market, alongside products such as the Apple iPod, especially with the recent release of the Video iPod. But where's Nintendo at? Who is the DS competing with? Besides the bit of overlap against the PSP and even it's own Game Boy line, what market is left? The answer: there isn't one.

The DS's market is in fact it's own. Nintendo effectively created a blue ocean, drawing in a market segment otherwise left untapped, reaching out across multiple barriers, hitting two key types of people: casual gamers and female gamers. Games like Nintendogs and Mario Kart hold mass appeal, far from games like Grand Theft Auto which has a very limited targeted market, and these games, along with a more reasonable price point, have helped to launch the DS into an area where it effectively has no competition.

So, how does this relate to the next-generation and the Revolution? Well, the DS's blue ocean strategy is being mirrored by the Revolution. In fact, they're pretty much identical. Low price, gaming-focused innovation. Nintendo's setting themselves up to take the market that the DS has tapped, and make it explode. Running on the theory that casual gamers are confused and annoyed with complicated control schemes and tons of buttons, Nintendo invented a simple yet mind-blowingly innovative control that's intriguing and fun to use, and won't scare people away with a bunch of triggers to remember and button combos to memorize. The idea was simple: if people can just pick it up and play, they will.

Now, how well this theory will work out remains to be seen, but if the DS is any indication, Nintendo's next-gen should practically be smooth sailing. The DS proved there's plenty of market for what Nintendo's aiming for, and the Revolution if successful should blow that market wide open.

Still, what makes the Revolution so vastly different than it's competitors that it opens up a new market? And how do the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 differ in their strategies? Time for another strategy canvas:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8817/stratcanvasnextgen9kp.jpg

As you can see, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are taking extremely similar strategies. While the PS3 doesn't hold anything back, the Xbox 360 sacrifices a small bit of power to stay more affordable and productive. All in all however, the PS3 is really just a 360 on steroids. With the exception of Xbox Live, there's next to nothing one has that the other doesn't...

However Nintendo is the most diverse of the three, focusing much more towards their innovative controller and making the system cheap and easy for both consumers and developers. It's a solid strategy, and certainly one better than Nintendo trying to go to blows with the other two.

But if you think that's all there is to it, you'd be forgetting one very important factor: profit. It all comes back to that bottom line, and Nintendo's next-gen strategy definitely has that in mind. It costs a heck of a lot less for Nintendo to sell that Revolution controller than it does for Sony to stuff the Cell processor and Blu-ray drive into their PS3. This of course means Nintendo can sell it cheaper, but it also affects their total profits.

Nintendo seems to follow a strict rule of not selling a product that doesn't turn a profit. Thus, cost must be less than sale price. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand sell their consoles at large losses hoping to amass a strong market base and make it up on games and such. For instance, early speculation puts the 360 at over $500, meaning Microsoft loses around $100 every time they sell a new Xbox. A recent estimate even puts the loss at a possible $300.

Of course, for Microsoft that's nothing. However to Nintendo, a loss of even a few dollars per system could break the bank, and thus they need a profitable console. Some Revolution developers have said Nintendo could get away with a $99 Revolution. With that estimate in mind, Nintendo should have no problem making some cash off of the likely $200 price point. Thus, Nintendo is prepared yet again to be the most profitable of the three systems.

So who will come out on top? Well, if Nintendo has their way, they won't care. Nintendo's completely comfortable with the PS3 and 360 battling for the hardcore market, while they take over the casual market. Nintendo's president Mr. Iwata has said that he hopes hardcore gamers will look at the Revolution as a great second console if nothing else, and that it's cheap price point makes it perfect for just that.

So there you have it. Three consoles, two strategies. It's going to be an interesting battle over the year, and it's sure to get fierce. There's one New Year's resolution all of us video game fanboys should probably try to remember as all the systems hit the market this year: play what makes you happy, play what's fun. That should be what matters most to a true gamer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was written to help you better understand Nintendo's strategy entering the next-gen. This is NOT a fanboy post meant to insult other consoles in any way and this is NOT intended to start a flame war. Constructive opinion is always welcome, just please be considerate. Also, it's best if you read it before commenting. I know it's big, but it doesn't take to long to read it, promise.

ssricky
15-01-2006, 11:00 PM
#1- nice copy and paste job cudos to who actually wrote it
#2- that chart is so inaccurate 360 and ps3 will destroy the revolution and the psp destroyed the ds -.- so close this pointless jiberish cuz no one is gunna read the whole thing

Wayne
15-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Okay, I dunno what that is on about seens as it's so long. I'll read it another day. -.-'

HUGECOOL
15-01-2006, 11:02 PM
#2- that chart is so inaccurate 360 and ps3 will destroy the revolution and the psp destroyed the ds -.- so close this pointless jiberish cuz no one is gunna read the whole thing
Actually, I never mentioned I wrote it. (:

Neversoft
15-01-2006, 11:17 PM
You wrote all that!? :o
Wooow, I'll post again in an hour when I've finished reading ;)

HUGECOOL
15-01-2006, 11:20 PM
You wrote all that!? :o
Wooow, I'll post again in an hour when I've finished reading ;)
Nah, I didn't write that, lol. I envy whoever did though- it makes so much sense. >.<

Tommy
15-01-2006, 11:21 PM
The psp multiplayer play is actually not as good as it seems. Ds has a much better multiplayer and online play! Buttt... thats a great article and clears up alot of problem, it proves the revo is going for a different path than the other 2, and is better in some fields!

Neversoft
15-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I read up to the first chart. :)
I'll read the rest tomorrow or something. It all makes sence and whoever wrote it must of been there hours. The Revolution is looking to be one of the best consoles we've seen yet! nintendo has put alot of effort into makeing it the best it can be and in my view so far they have done exactally that. I have a huntch that the Revolution will do VERY well when it comes out. I just hope it sells more than the Play station 3 and Xbox 360 to show them whos boss. I don't know if Nintendo is the most well known company (well I think it probaly is) but I bet everyone has heard about how good the Revolution is actually going to be. All I can say is when it comes out i bet they will be sold out within minutes. (I wonder if they will do that thing like they open the shop at Midnight and people are waiting outside to rush in and buy it) I'm going to start saveing now and hopefully I will get one befor they sell out. I know some people are still waiting for more Xbox 360's to come. Anyway thats the end of my speech. :)

On and, the Psp never destroyed the Ds.

HUGECOOL
15-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I read up to the first chart. :)
I'll read the rest tomorrow or something. It all makes sence and whoever wrote it must of been there hours. The Revolution is looking to be one of the best consoles we've seen yet! nintendo has put alot of effort into makeing it the best it can be and in my view so far they have done exactally that. I have a huntch that the Revolution will do VERY well when it comes out. I just hope it sells more than the Play station 3 and Xbox 360 to show them whos boss. I don't know if Nintendo is the most well known company (well I think it probaly is) but I bet everyone has heard about how good the Revolution is actually going to be. All I can say is when it comes out i bet they will be sold out within minutes. (I wonder if they will do that thing like they open the shop at Midnight and people are waiting outside to rush in and buy it) I'm going to start saveing now and hopefully I will get one befor they sell out. I know some people are still waiting for more Xbox 360's to come. Anyway thats the end of my speech. :)

On and, the Psp never destroyed the Ds.
I want one too. >.< I have the money for one already saved up. 8D

Tommy
15-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I just read it all, and that is a god darn amazing article! It explans it perfectly, and explains everything i have tried to say in the last few arguments. Thank you for clearing this up i love this phrase. "The idea was simple: if people can just pick it up and play, they will."

Neversoft
16-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Yes, an excellent article!
How much are the Revolutions going to be?

"What we have here is not a battle of consoles, but a battle of corporations. Three enormous companies battling in a red, bloody ocean that is the market of video games. Their end goal is shared not only between the three of them, but between all of the corporate world: to turn over the biggest profit possible."

So right. :)

HUGECOOL
16-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes, an excellent article!
How much are the Revolutions going to be?
Most sources are saying it's being priced at $199, which is what I have saved up. XD

Neversoft
16-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Most sources are saying it's being priced at $199, which is what I have saved up. XD

How much is that in pounds?
And I could of guessed they would of been cheaper than the other two. :D

HUGECOOL
16-01-2006, 12:10 AM

Uhmm.. Not sure how pounds work, really. But I'd say about 100-ish pounds? (Assuming they're twice the value of a dollar, which they are.:P)

*Edit* I just used a currency converter and it's 111.997 British Pound, or somewhere around that area.

Neversoft
16-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Uhmm.. Not sure how pounds work, really. But I'd say about 100-ish pounds? (Assuming they're twice the value of a dollar, which they are.:P)

200.00 USD = 112.502 GBP :D
Wow, Didn't think it would be that cheap!

Ps. Google says - 1 U.S. dollars = 0.565802874 British pounds

Infrontation
16-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Nicely said +rep The 360 is owning the revo according to those charts and there barely even right. There is no better online gameplay system, it looks great, good graphics, nice controllers etc <3 Pwnage

Charles
16-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Amazing article, thanks for brining it to our attention.
You just have some people on here who can't face Nintendo (A childish company, in their eyes) doing so well for themselves.

Neversoft
16-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Nicely said +rep The 360 is owning the revo according to those charts and there barely even right. There is no better online gameplay system, it looks great, good graphics, nice controllers etc <3 Pwnage

The Gameboy Advance Sp sold as much as the playstation 2 even though it came out a whole 8 months later. So what makes you think the Revolution can't do that?

Sank
16-01-2006, 05:57 PM
#2- that chart is so inaccurate 360 and ps3 will destroy the revolution and the psp destroyed the ds -.- so close this pointless jiberish cuz no one is gunna read the whole thingI'm glad you actually know the futar.

Revolution is completly different, to sitting there moving your fingers, as you do in a Ps3 and XBox..

In Revolution you move your arms and body! SOMETHING DIFFERENT! NOT JUST THE SAME ALL THE TIME.

Neversoft
16-01-2006, 06:02 PM

Forgot to say..
How can it be Owning it if the Revolution isnt even out yet..

HUGECOOL
17-01-2006, 01:38 AM
Forgot to say..
How can it be Owning it if the Revolution isnt even out yet..
Yeah, it's silly. No one knows what the finalized product will look like or the final features that will be included in it. Fanboy-induced comments and flaming is what I was aiming to stop with this article, but it's kind of difficult to do if the message behind the article is completely ignored.

Oh, and gameplay on the Revolution will be free and Wi Fi. That's something to think about. ;)

Bear-Max
17-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I haven't read it properly because I'm bust, but that second strategy chart is stupid. How exactly does Nintendo have more 3rd party support? If anything, their most popular games (and in fact most of their games overall) are either self developed, self published, or both.

JoeyK.
18-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Nintendo's dissapointed me with their last two consoles. They'll have to show me somthing pretty awesome before I even think about buying another one of their systems.

And the king is whomever sells most consoles, not just this gen, but next-- And with so many people doubting nintendo, they're not coming out on top.

But I do like the free online play...

Slydog
18-01-2006, 09:45 PM
the rev is a compleatly differant console compaired to 360 and ps3, the charts are basicly 100% right, but there carnt be that much of a differance between ps3 graphics and the 360 and rev... i mean comon, the 360's graphics are the highest possible. unless a new tech is invented by sony in a magical land of pixies ;)
really tho, im lookin forward to the rev, i think it will get nintendo back in the game. lookin forward to the controler and a new mario game :rolleyes:

HUGECOOL
18-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, I wouldn't say the charts are 100% accurate, because they're not. o.o It's just to give you a general idea of features.

There actually will be a major difference in graphics in all three consoles.

-The PS3 will be very powerful, but it lacks good online play. Plus, the games will cost more because of its power.
-The XBox 360 has excellent online play, but the graphics were sacrificed to make it affordable.
-The Revolution won't have knock-out graphics, but gameplay will be fun with the new controllers. Free online play is always great.

It's very hard to say who will come out on top and who won't (profitwise) since two consoles have not been released yet. Even though not many people seem to talk about the Revolution as much, Nintendo is still #1 in Japan and it will be somewhat unlikely that it won't stay that way. Assuming the majority of the people are willing to spend $200 for the Rev instead of the estimated $500 for a PS3, (besides specs) I don't see why Nintendo won't have the upperhand in profit. I am confident their blue ocean strategy will work as it did with the DS.

Neversoft
19-01-2006, 07:07 AM
It all depends when they come out I suppose. I guess your lucky If the Revolution comes out near your birthday. When does the Ps3 come out?

NekkLe
19-01-2006, 08:57 AM
It'll be the same price in pounds and it'll be the same price in the majority of other countries too as they would loose out B)

For me, the revo won't touch the abilaties of both the PS3 and Xbox 360. They've both taken different paths, the Revo, something new, funky, exciting and unique. However, the 360 and PS3, power, Hi-def graphics, realistic games which gamers can relate to, staying the same as most people like. I think if you continously change a console your going to get a mixed audience that might not stick around for the next weird console.

In my opinion and thought, it seems like the PS3 and 360 arn't worried about what Nintendo have in store for them B| in no way will such a confused console the Revo own both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Neversoft
19-01-2006, 06:18 PM
It'll be the same price in pounds and it'll be the same price in the majority of other countries too as they would loose out B)

For me, the revo won't touch the abilaties of both the PS3 and Xbox 360. They've both taken different paths, the Revo, something new, funky, exciting and unique. However, the 360 and PS3, power, Hi-def graphics, realistic games which gamers can relate to, staying the same as most people like. I think if you continously change a console your going to get a mixed audience that might not stick around for the next weird console.

In my opinion and thought, it seems like the PS3 and 360 arn't worried about what Nintendo have in store for them B| in no way will such a confused console the Revo own both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Confused Console? I think you need to take a look at the Ps3. They got abit confused makeing the design. And nor you neither anyone else can predict what will happen. So we will just have to wait and see.

Bear-Max
19-01-2006, 06:35 PM
The XBox 360 has excellent online play, but the graphics were sacrificed to make it affordable.
What rubbish. Hideo Kojima (the mastermind behind Metal Gear Solid) has been quoted saying that there is no real difference between the capabilities of the Xbox 360 and the PS3. He also said the PS3 is harder to work with.

NekkLe
19-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Confused Console? I think you need to take a look at the Ps3. They got abit confused makeing the design. And nor you neither anyone else can predict what will happen. So we will just have to wait and see.
I wasn't predicting, I was basing an opinion on what I think will happen and what I think the three companies have done. Playstation's new design may differ but lets not make remarks on that just yet.

HUGECOOL
19-01-2006, 09:41 PM
I think it should be better that we post comments such as these once all three consoles have been released and have solid evidence (And personal experiences) of the capabilities and features available.

Neversoft
19-01-2006, 10:12 PM
I think it should be better that we post comments such as these once all three consoles have been released and have solid evidence (And personal experiences) of the capabilities and features available.

That might be a while. I heard Ps3 failed its test, Is this true?

HUGECOOL
20-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Err.. I'm not sure. I heard something about it being 10 times slower or something. Not sure of this though.

Magnet
25-01-2006, 05:00 PM
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8817/stratcanvasnextgen9kp.jpg

How can you make a strategy canvason consoles not yet released?

No one knows the price of the PS3, only an estimation. Same with specs, and graphics. Sony haven't yet released actual game-play, just videos/images of what they are hoping for. Same with downloads, we don't know what they could put for download. This chart is innacurate, unless they're released we can't judge/compare them. Only 360 we can.

I know you never made it but it still seems stupid to make it so soon. Wait till all next-gen's are released, ok?

Bear-Max
25-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I know you never made it but it still seems stupid to make it so soon. Wait till all next-gen's are released, ok?

I agree! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!