PDA

View Full Version : Sleep A Thing Of The Past

Jase
22-02-2006, 07:13 PM
New drugs which will allow people to survive on only two hours sleep a day are being developed, scientists have said.

The drugs will allow people to cope with the pressures of 24-hour society.

The New Scientist magazine says the new 'lifestyle' pills will deliver sleep which is deeper and more refreshing than the real thing, with some giving what feels like eight hours sleep in half the time.

The pills could even allow people not to sleep for several days in a row.
Advertisement Advertisement

Russell Foster, a circadian biologist at Imperial College London, said: "The more we understand about the body's 24-hour clock the more we will be able to override it.

"In 10 to 20 years we'll be able to pharmacologically turn sleep off. Mimicking sleep will take longer, but I can see it happening."

Neil Stanley, head of sleep research at the Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit at the University of Surrey, countered: "I think that would be the most hideous thing to happen to society."

Scientists are hoping to build on the success of the drug Modafinil, a stimulant launched seven years ago which allows people to wake up refreshed after four hours of sleep.

I doubt i would take those pills, they sound dangerous... What if something goes wrong?

NekkLe
22-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Messing around with drugs that stop a natural routine from happening can only be seen as harmful. No matter how proven it may be, its still going to have its side effects "/

I don't believe the drug will allow you to have a better sleep, nothing can beat a natural occurance, its hopw we've slept the majority of our lives and our body will be much more comfortable in its normal process of resting.

Biseinen
22-02-2006, 07:20 PM
You can just imagin tons of people taking these to work longer or something... Meh.

Well with all the technological medical breakthroughs, I'm no suprised... But I'm sure theres some downfall and you'd have to replenstish something by taking more pills or doing certain things...

Well, we can only wait to see! = )

Dan Williamson
22-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Hey,

Like OMG you stole my article off PH although it's off Digg lol.

- Dan

Rawr
22-02-2006, 07:22 PM
They would be good if you work really long hours and need to get up at certain times etc. I personally would never take them, they sound a little dangerous.

NekkLe
22-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Well if a drug is going to stop you from sleeping, its bound to have its effects which to me would be logically bad "/ stopping yourself from sleeping will still make you ill no matter what.

Jase
22-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm wondering bout people with illnesses or are alleric to certain things cause they can't really test for them at this stage

RedStratocas
22-02-2006, 08:52 PM
They already have this drug. Its called Red Bull.

Wootzeh
22-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Just got hypnotised, that sleep is worth 2-3x more than normal sleep or summet.

Adam$
22-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Just got hypnotised, that sleep is worth 2-3x more than normal sleep or summet.
How do you mean by that?

Craigl
22-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Jayson, tis me Spam. :p

Also, I need my sleep! Don't make it the past!

Jase
22-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Craig, why are you logged in twice? ;O

Dupion
22-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh god how I needed them sleeping pills on Sunday night. I got to sleep at 5 and had to get up for school at 7. ;T

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!