PDA

View Full Version : [PS3] Worrying news/predictions...

Jase
24-02-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/games/videogames/gamesnews4.htm?linkfrom=games__games_home&link=fsHH_15_2Heading&article=GAMgaming_home_right

Worryingly, the Merrill Lynch report also claimed that each console could cost Sony at least $800 (around £458 in real money)

It better not be £450+ :|

Wayne
24-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Awww, damn. :( I was only hoping to pay about £300 - £380.

If it does cost that much, I doubt if it will sell much during the first few weeks or so.

Jase
24-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Ye, i might wait until christmas to buy mine.. It'll had gone down in price

Wayne
24-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Ye, i might wait until christmas to buy mine.. It'll had gone down in price

Yeah it will. I might do the same.

Php
24-02-2006, 04:50 PM
im gonna pre-order mine and buy it first day it comes out , hopefully, or the first week atleast

Neversoft
24-02-2006, 05:00 PM
What a rip off. The damn conartists.

JoeyK.
24-02-2006, 11:00 PM
(around £458 in real money)

What's that supposed to mean? The USD is every bit as real as the GBP =/

And it won't cost you that much-- Yes, Sony would have to pay out that kind of cash, but the price would be lower for consumers.

Gaming companies lose billions of dollars when launching a new system because the production price is higher than that of its retail price.

The way they make their money back is by selling the games on the new system.

Jase
24-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Meh, they could decide to up the price because all of the parts cost lots. You never know..

HUGECOOL
24-02-2006, 11:11 PM
What's that supposed to mean? The USD is every bit as real as the GBP =/

And it won't cost you that much-- Yes, Sony would have to pay out that kind of cash, but the price would be lower for consumers.

Gaming companies lose billions of dollars when launching a new system because the production price is higher than that of its retail price.

The way they make their money back is by selling the games on the new system.
Actually, Sony and Microsoft lose money when launching a new system. They lose roughly $100-200 for every unit sold. Nintendo makes their consoles affordable for production, developers, and consumers in order to gain a better profit.

Although Sony could maybe afford to take a $200 hit for every unit sold, they can't do so with the PS3 because of all the new technology that is basically being crammed in. A $400 loss per unit could make Sony lose about $1 billion by the time the system starts selling in the millions.

Wootzeh
24-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Actually, Sony and Microsoft lose money when launching a new system. They lose roughly $100-200 for every unit sold. Nintendo makes their consoles affordable for production, developers, and consumers in order to gain a better profit.

Although Sony could maybe afford to take a $200 hit for every unit sold, they can't do so with the PS3 because of all the new technology that is basically being crammed in. A $400 loss per unit could make Sony lose about $1 billion by the time the system starts selling in the millions.
^^^^ as he said, It may cost them £450, they still release it for less.
And make the money up on games or something.

Trivious
02-03-2006, 01:56 PM
so ive read that you can put more Ram into the ps3

i want this but not at that price :O

Colin-Roberts
02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Sony Will Loose Money At The First But When There Making Millions Of Them They'll Start To Make A Profit Just Like Any Other Mass Produced Item.

HUGECOOL
02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Sony Will Loose Money At The First But When There Making Millions Of Them They'll Start To Make A Profit Just Like Any Other Mass Produced Item.
That may be true, but unless they want to sell each unit at a more consumer-friendly price, Sony won't sell that many units.

If the PS3 sells at about $400-500, they'll lose about a billion dollar profit when they start selling in the millions.

JoeyK.
05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes, but they know they'll have to take that loss... They're expecting a 2-3 billion loss in total through the launch of the system...

I'm guessing it'll be out at $400 USD to match the REAL 360....

Anyway, I think Sony can handle a little expense. They've got far more than enough.

habz
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
I dont see the point in this console atall. I mean why not yust stick with the PS2 Gamecube or Xbox.

Neversoft
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I dont see the point in this console atall. I mean why not yust stick with the PS2 Gamecube or Xbox.

Because they are so 5 years ago.

Timewarp
07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Because they are so 5 years ago.
Yep i mean i could say y dont u stik with ur n64 cause there newer things out
N64 PWNS ALL EXCEPT THE REVOLUTION

JoeyK.
08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Yep i mean i could say y dont u stik with ur n64 cause there newer things out
N64 PWNS ALL EXCEPT THE REVOLUTION
I didn't like the 64, i could never get use to using its analog stick ;l

Plus, the games were too expensive [especially Super Smash Brothers -- I remember paying $60 USD for that ;s] compared to PS1's xP

mnbvjifhgtge
10-03-2006, 08:38 PM
just wait for real ps3 videos to start rolling out before buying a new console and dont bother getting it at christmas/pre-order its gonna cost more

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!