PDA

View Full Version : 6ABC News- False report on DS \\ PSP load times? xD

HUGECOOL
26-02-2006, 03:50 AM
6ABC, an affiliate of ABC located in Philadelphia, has released an article and news special on the dangers of the Nintendo DS. They claim that the Nintendo DS and it's Wi-Fi Connection is a dangerous tool for predators to use on unsuspecting children.

This is the video on their 'Special Report'.

Link (http://ww2.wpvi.com/global/video/WorldNowASX.asp?playerType=native&ClipID1=682347&h1=&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=210267&activePane=info&playerVersion=7)

Interesting FACTS:

- PictoChat is not WiFi or Internet enabled. You must be without a 30 - 100 ft. distance from someone in order to chat with them via Pictochat.

- The report mentions the young girl in one of the busiests wireless 'Hot Spots' even though it is irrelavant to the use of PictoChat since it isn't WiFi enabled.

- The most important point is that you have to be in that range, meaning you could probably see whoever it is you're talking to if you just got up and walked around looking for someone holding a Nintendo DS.

- Only 4 games on the Nintendo DS are enabled for online gameplay.

- The games require Friend Codes in order for players to interact with each other.

- 6ABC News was in contact with GamerDad before the report to supposively confirm the features of the Nintendo DS.

"The story essentially makes it sound like your kids can be contacted on the DS by anyone at any time and that you should beware of predators with Nintendo DS lurking on every corner and on the Internet."

~ GamerDad (Link (http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3047))

ABC is owned by Disney (source (http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp#multimedia)), a company that has always felt threatened by Nintendo, even utilizing innate American xenophobia to demonize Nintendo. Furthermore, Disney has some strong ties to many of Nintendo's competitors. Being that the DS has been out for some time now, Disney's decision (and yes, Disney, as a whole, is responsible for the information disseminated from any of its parts) to attack Nintendo WiFi now comes as no surprise, especially when you consider Disney's past. With the exception of the equal opportunity hysterics of Jack Thompson, Nintendo has always been an inordinately visible target for criticism in the mainstream press, despite Ninty's efforts to cover themselves in nearly every conceivable way.

I'm certain that this won't be the last effort to spark anti-Nintendo hysteria before the year is through. It will be interesting to see how much worse this kind of exposure gets before it gets better.

Your thoughts?
__________________________________________________ ________

Load times of hell

Load time for WWE SmackDown! Vs. RAW 2006: Video (http://www.youtube.com/v/gH3dc7IZVPc)

Nintendo: "... and that's why we are sticking to flash for handheld devices. You need to be able to pick it up and play on the GO and save without any tie-ups."

Sony: "U R teh poo-heads, we put big fast wisbang umd n movin parts in thing, thing make pretty, hold lot of pretty."

Nintendo: "You do what you gotta do, but I know what I'm doing. Been doing it for 20 years.. but of course that means nothing to you."

*Sony torques the psp and launches a umd in Nintendo's face*

So, PSP owners, are the load times really that bad? I mean, I've heard from some sources that it wasn't "on-the-go" convenient, but does it really take that long to load?

Neversoft
26-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Do you ever do a short post! :p

Well, As for the False Report on the Ds. I have nothing to say to that. What idiots ;/ and as for the PSP load times, Haha. :8 Now who's slower?

HUGECOOL
26-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Do you ever do a short post! :p

Well, As for the False Report on the Ds. I have nothing to say to that. What idiots ;/ and as for the PSP load times, Haha. :8 Now who's slower?
XD Sorry for the many long posts. So many things have happened recently and I just want to shaaaaare! >_______>;;

Yeah, the report was pretty pathetic.

What ABC should have done was focus on a service like Xbox Live, which lets *anyone* talk to *anyone* *anywhere*. Instead, they chose to focus on the DS, and add a note at the end; "Well, other systems have similar abilties, so, uh, yeah, they might be bad too."

I was kind of shocked about the PSP thing. I didn't post it as an "attack" against the handheld, but I just wanted to know from a PSP owner if the load times actually do take that long. xP

habz
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
well PSP's do take ages to load. And whats up with game codes yust think i could tell you mine over habbox

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!