PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Portable

meta1gearsold3
13-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Im looking into buying a PSP when i get 250$. I want to know if its worth it. Yes or no and please give an explaination why you picked yes or no.

HUGECOOL
13-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Depends on what you're going to use it for.

If it's for media purposes (videos, music, photos) then it's a decent handheld. But if it's for gaming, don't expect much.

Most of its features are nice, but require extra memory purchases most of the time.

If you want Playstation 2 quality games, it would be best to buy a PS2, not a PSP.

Basically, it's a "Jack of a trades, master of none".

*edit*
To add to this.. It's really not a convenient "On-The-Go" handheld. Since it uses UMDs instead of cartridges, game-loading times are much slower due to UMD accessing and due to the fact that putting moving parts on handhelds ruins everything. (Take CD Players for example.)

Hagi
13-03-2006, 01:59 AM
My Personal Opinion Is I Hate Them.. I Spent 1/3 Of My B-Day Money On One And I Dunno Why I Did... Its Defanitely Better Than The Nintendo DS But The Graphics Arnt Much Better.... It Really Depends What U Want To Buy It For... If U Want It For Music Ur Better Of With A IPod... If U Want It For Gaming... Its Not The Best Graphics But Its Good If Ur Travelling In The Car Or On The Train Etc. The UMD Movies Are Also Ok.. When Travelling.

My Overall Rating
4/10 Probs Would Of Been 6/10 But With All The Hype How Good It Was Going 2 Be It Was A Real Dissapointment

meta1gearsold3
13-03-2006, 02:10 AM
My main thing is to play games, second comes music and not so much videos but once in a while it wouldn't hurt. :) Whats so bad about it? I hear u have to keep paying for new cards or suttin for every music or new vids

HUGECOOL
13-03-2006, 03:22 AM
My main thing is to play games, second comes music and not so much videos but once in a while it wouldn't hurt. :) Whats so bad about it? I hear u have to keep paying for new cards or suttin for every music or new vids
Hmm.. Not really. But if you want more than 4 songs on your PSP, be ready to fork over some money to spend on Memory Sticks. A 1GB Memory Stick should do.

The main issue with the games for the PSP is mostly that they're ports from PS2 that have been watered down to be playable on the handheld. It's much better to play the games on the PS2 then have a mediocre version of it on the handheld.

You can put any music you own on the PSP and any video you own as well. The main issue with the PSP is space though, because you only get 32MB included with it. :\

Recursion
13-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Ive got one and love it! it depends what games you've got for it and how big the memory stick is, what music and videos are on it etc...

Ive got PSP, PS2, PC, Phone and a GameBoy advance. Im just looking into getting an Xbox 360 :rolleyes::eusa_danc

Charles
13-03-2006, 04:17 PM
If you're aiming for a long-play session. Best keep it plugged in its charger, because before you know it, it turns off.

ssricky
13-03-2006, 04:19 PM
yes cuz they have this thingy u plug into it and u can watch live television on it :P tis l33t

meta1gearsold3
13-03-2006, 07:56 PM
How many songs and vids can hold on a 1 GB card?

Bielby2ooo
13-03-2006, 08:09 PM
i have 4 movies on mine atm

and still 100 gb left

Magnet
13-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Hmm.. Not really. But if you want more than 4 songs on your PSP, be ready to fork over some money to spend on Memory Sticks. A 1GB Memory Stick should do.

The main issue with the games for the PSP is mostly that they're ports from PS2 that have been watered down to be playable on the handheld. It's much better to play the games on the PS2 then have a mediocre version of it on the handheld.

You can put any music you own on the PSP and any video you own as well. The main issue with the PSP is space though, because you only get 32MB included with it. :\

Incorrect (What I bolded). I havve 15 songs on my PSP and it used about 7mb.

meta1gearsold3
13-03-2006, 09:14 PM
how do u have 100 gb if the max card is 1 Gb?

So is it worth the money? I only plan on using when i go out on the go and take it to school and play on it when im on the bus.

Magnet
13-03-2006, 09:19 PM
how do u have 100 gb if the max card is 1 Gb?

So is it worth the money? I only plan on using when i go out on the go and take it to school and play on it when im on the bus.

Who has 1gb? And the max card will soon be 8gb, but that will cost a hell of a lot ;))

Oh, and it is worth the money if your seriously gonna play it alot, and really like handhelds. I have one, bored of it already (Perhaps that may be because I have an Xbox 360.) I've not played it in a long time though, got it in Christmas.

chilloutrich
13-03-2006, 09:42 PM
PSP's are great!! If you are a gamer that likes to be in different locations and still play it then i say go for it. Think; Playstation in the car!!

Beef Samich
13-03-2006, 10:22 PM

just dish otu an extra 50$ to get the giga pack upgrade. thats what i got you get the basic stuff plus all these free subscriptions to magazines plus a 1GB memory card and a UMD case and stand.

i'd say 300$ is worth it :)

HUGECOOL
13-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Incorrect (What I bolded). I havve 15 songs on my PSP and it used about 7mb. Depends on the bitrate of the songs, actually "/

If you are looking for average quality audio, 32 MB is not enough for 15 songs. Compressing audio files destroys their quality.

and still 100 gb left
100 Gigabytes on your PSP. o_O

Maybe if you modded it to have a functional HD, but then it wouldn't be very portable.

Flash memory only goes so far right now. 8 GB I believe, and the biggest HD for a PSP is only 4 GB.

Sank
14-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Its worth getting, but if you like more 'fun' games, get a Nintendo DS.

Bear-Max
14-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I think Bielby meant 100mb :)

And 1gb isn't the maximum; you can get 2gb and (I believe) 4gb cards.

I was impressed to begin with, but there's a distinct lack of decent titles for the PSP. I'd much rather give the DS a whizz.

JoeyK.
14-03-2006, 11:56 PM
I say go for it.

I really don't find the selection of games all that bad like most people do...

If you do end up buying it, just make sure you try out Lumines >;]

It's definately got a lot of features, but there's only a few that you'll actually use...

The graphics are fairly better than the DS, and if you don't want to roll a little plastic pen around on your screen then the PSP is the way to go :P

(No offence to you DS lovers- I just never found the touch screen 'fun,' I found it more annoying than anything)

HUGECOOL
15-03-2006, 12:43 AM
I say go for it.

I really don't find the selection of games all that bad like most people do...

If you do end up buying it, just make sure you try out Lumines >;]

It's definately got a lot of features, but there's only a few that you'll actually use...

The graphics are fairly better than the DS, and if you don't want to roll a little plastic pen around on your screen then the PSP is the way to go :P

(No offence to you DS lovers- I just never found the touch screen 'fun,' I found it more annoying than anything) lol
It would help to have actually owned and experienced gameplay on the DS before drawing up mediocre excuses for the DS. ;]

You see, I've already owned a PSP and I found it to be much less than I expected.

If you had actually played on the DS for more than 10 minutes, you'd know that the DS doesn't really require "rolling a little plastic pen" (aka 'Stylus') around, but some games use that functionality in order to provide a user with a more in-depth experience when playing.

So, tell me, was rolling the little plastic pen around as annoying as browsing the Internet on the PSP?

No?

Didn't think so.

Beef Samich
15-03-2006, 01:36 AM
lol
It would help to have actually owned and experienced gameplay on the DS before drawing up mediocre excuses for the DS. ;]

You see, I've already owned a PSP and I found it to be much less than I expected.

If you had actually played on the DS for more than 10 minutes, you'd know that the DS doesn't really require "rolling a little plastic pen" (aka 'Stylus') around, but some games use that functionality in order to provide a user with a more in-depth experience when playing.

So, tell me, was rolling the little plastic pen around as annoying as browsing the Internet on the PSP?

No?

Didn't think so.

I'll have to give you credit there but do you have the option to watch actual videos and movies (not spongebob or Yu-Gi-Oh)

MP3's?

Photo's?

thought not...

and the internet borwsing isnt a total bummer it just takes about 10 minutes to get used to it. seriously.

HUGECOOL
15-03-2006, 03:11 AM
I'll have to give you credit there but do you have the option to watch actual videos and movies (not spongebob or Yu-Gi-Oh)

MP3's?

Photo's?

thought not...

and the internet borwsing isnt a total bummer it just takes about 10 minutes to get used to it. seriously. Actually, I do. :)

It's called the Play-Yan Micro and it allows me to view videos, listen to music, and browse through photos just like on the PSP.

And yes, browsing on the PSP needs getting used to, but by the time you get the hang of it, it runs out of memory. :rolleyes:

Magnet
15-03-2006, 05:51 PM
lol

No?

Didn't think so.

Yeah, the DS is more then rolling a pen around. I used to have one, got it on midnight of the launch, but traded it in as I needed money and had no new games for it.

meta1gearsold3
16-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I might get it. Though i might wait for others to post their opinions.

meta1gearsold3
18-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I have a question. Im not sure how much 1 GB is so is that big? I want to hold atleast 10 or + songs and a few vids. So would that be good? at my WalMart its 60$. But i dont want to spend 150$ for a 2 GB card.

Magnet
18-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I have a question. Im not sure how much 1 GB is so is that big? I want to hold atleast 10 or + songs and a few vids. So would that be good? at my WalMart its 60$. But i dont want to spend 150$ for a 2 GB card.
Well, I have 15 songs, about 70 wallpapers and 2 videos, I still have 800mb left, including al the game saves too. So yes, 1GB is enough.

Beef Samich
18-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Actually, I do. :)

It's called the Play-Yan Micro and it allows me to view videos, listen to music, and browse through photos just like on the PSP.

And yes, browsing on the PSP needs getting used to, but by the time you get the hang of it, it runs out of memory. :rolleyes:

How much does it cost? i think someone posted somehting like this costin about 179$ thats pretty much 2 DS's and PSPS come with it

im not going to fight anymore. Im going to agree with critics here its just whaver you like.

ReInfected
18-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Are people on Habbox here able to make wallpapers for my PSP? Cause i requested one but noone answered..

HUGECOOL
18-03-2006, 11:00 PM
How much does it cost? i think someone posted somehting like this costin about 179$ thats pretty much 2 DS's and PSPS come with it

im not going to fight anymore. Im going to agree with critics here its just whaver you like. It was only $60. Which would still be less than the cost of a PSP. :s

Billabong
18-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Look its a great console with mediocre games AVOID!

Stress Free
18-03-2006, 11:15 PM
i hardly play mine i mostly watch movies onit (ok i never use it at atall)

Billabong
18-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Its got no good games but some are bound to come out soon

Stress Free
18-03-2006, 11:24 PM
ye spose

meta1gearsold3
19-03-2006, 02:19 AM
the 32 MB Card...What can that basically hold? Im going to have 2 games at most so im basically gonna have 2 games saved. Any room for music? Lol

meta1gearsold3
19-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Yo does anyone buy off E-bay? I saw someone selling a 2 GB card for 15$. U think something is wrong with it? Im thinking of buying my PSP and accessories off E-bay but im afraid soemthing is wrong iwth it or its corrupt

meta1gearsold3
19-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Isnt it illeagal on ebay to sell broken items?

Charles
19-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Isnt it illeagal on ebay to sell broken items?
Yeah. But the seller has to clearly state that it's broken.
Like BBguns. You have to put 'This can not be modified to fire real bullets' in the description or it is taken off.

meta1gearsold3
19-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah. But the seller has to clearly state that it's broken.
Like BBguns. You have to put 'This can not be modified to fire real bullets' in the description or it is taken off.
Like the Condition it is in? I might just buy the actual PSP in stores cause i dont want to buy something that has scratchs on it and has a few dead pixels or anything. I might just buy the accesories on E-bay. What bout the Memory stick? nothing would be wrong with it right?

HUGECOOL
20-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Like the Condition it is in? I might just buy the actual PSP in stores cause i dont want to buy something that has scratchs on it and has a few dead pixels or anything. I might just buy the accesories on E-bay. What bout the Memory stick? nothing would be wrong with it right?
It's risky to buy memory units on eBay (Unless they're brand new) because it might be malfunctioning or just not working. I suggest buying a brand new one whether it be online or in a shop. :)

JoeyK.
20-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Hmmm.... With the 15 dollar cards on ebay, they do work, but the one I bought broke within a week, so it may just be a quality issue.

I'd say just break down and buy one in a more trusted store... Yes, it's expensive, but you can get a lot of use out of it.

Edit:

lol

No?

Didn't think so.

Actually, I did own a DS- I've bought every single Nintendo console and handheld released except the Micro.

I bought the DS at launch, and was very dissapointed with the games that I'd bought, mostly because I can't stand the controls on them [The most annoying was Mario 64]

The only game I found fun on it was the demo that came with it, so in March I traded in my DS and paid some cash to get a PSP that I have gotten a LOT more value out of in my opinion.

Though Nintendo sure did go right with those nice shiney new SP colours-- I had to buy another when my sister decided she wanted to take a bath with it, but I love my new one x]

Magnet
23-03-2006, 08:51 PM
lol

No?

Didn't think so.

Browsing the internet on the PSP is easy. What are you on about? You must'nt of been on it that much, I use the internet all the time to get wallpapers.

.:Subarusti:.
24-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Ye its really not a console just a jumped up MP3, but i have to say its quite decent but if its for gameplay, get the DS mario kart pack, hours and hours of fun. get a PSP when its cheaper!

-One
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I have a question. Im debating over a 1GB and 2 GB Memory Stick. I want to have like around 30-40 songs on my PSP and idk if a 1GB would be enough. But its an estimate. Idk if I'd want more since the 2GB is expensive. What do u think?

Magnet
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a question. Im debating over a 1GB and 2 GB Memory Stick. I want to have like around 30-40 songs on my PSP and idk if a 1GB would be enough. But its an estimate. Idk if I'd want more since the 2GB is expensive. What do u think?

1GB will certainly be enough. If a 2GB iPod Nano holds 500 songs, a 1GB PSP memory stick will hold atleast 200 songs, but it isn't that good of an MP3 player.

-One
02-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Oki Dokie Thanks!

HUGECOOL
02-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Browsing the internet on the PSP is easy. What are you on about? You must'nt of been on it that much, I use the internet all the time to get wallpapers. Actually, I did use it- well, until I got tired of it.

First, you have the annoyance of typing in the url. Then, it takes nice while to load the page. Finally, the annoying "Out of memory" message that is displayed almost every time you access the Internet via the PSP.

Jack of all trades- master of none.

Magnet
02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Actually, I did use it- well, until I got tired of it.

First, you have the annoyance of typing in the url. Then, it takes nice while to load the page. Finally, the annoying "Out of memory" message that is displayed almost every time you access the Internet via the PSP.

Jack of all trades- master of none.

First, for me, I do find typing in the url easy. All the main aspects of the URL (www., .com, .co.uk etc.) are automatically installed, so, for me, it isn't a problem. It is easy for me to load up a page, nice and quick for me, I don't see how come yours was slower, and finally, yes, the 'out of memory' does pop up often, but that's because the PSP can only load so much on one page.

Timewarp
03-04-2006, 11:19 AM

and still 100 gb left
no u dont its a 1 gb stick and a movie is aprox 800-1000mb

dudez12
03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Im looking into buying a PSP when i get 250$. I want to know if its worth it. Yes or no and please give an explaination why you picked yes or no.
I just bought mine yesterday. When I first bought it I thought it was just a gaming system, but it's a lot more. It holds photos, music, videos, it has internet, it now supports pocasts, and I'm pretty sure with the new update (v2.60) you can listen to encrypted itunes songs. The internet is pretty fast. The graphics are amazing!!

You should buy it.

Magnet
03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
no u dont its a 1 gb stick and a movie is aprox 800-1000mb

No, your wrong their. Some movies can range from 200mb to 1000mb, or anything inbetween, possible below 200mb, like episodes.

Kasabian
03-04-2006, 06:25 PM
They are ok. I spent around £500 on mine.
- PSP Giga Pack
- Extras (case etc)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 5
- GTA: Liberty Citie Storys
- Formula 1
- WWE Smackdown v Raw 2006
- Steve-o: The Greatest Hits(In otherwords him from Jackass.
- Peter Kay: Driven to Distraction

I would say it is worthwhile, But the main thing is when you load up a game, PES5, It takes like 5minutes to load. But imense when loaded ;D

Timewarp
03-04-2006, 07:14 PM
No, your wrong their. Some movies can range from 200mb to 1000mb, or anything inbetween, possible below 200mb, like episodes.
real movies not episodes and not downloaded **** quality films are 800-1000 mb
and he said movies so ......

Magnet
03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Real movies? What do you mean? If they aren't downloaded they'd have to be on UMD. They're the only two ways you can have it on your PSP. So what do you mean?

Timewarp
03-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Real movies? What do you mean? If they aren't downloaded they'd have to be on UMD. They're the only two ways you can have it on your PSP. So what do you mean?
real movies as in you get a dvd and take the film off using programs downloading films is illegal

Demynx
03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
i use it for the internet accsess...thats it....

Colourfulâ„¢
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
t sounds really good, but i'll just wait for the PS3 to come out. ;)

Magnet
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM
real movies as in you get a dvd and take the film off using programs downloading films is illegal

DVD-rips are still not that much. And DVD's now have copyrights so you can't take them off, unless you find a way around it.

NintendoFreak
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
For everyone who said DS DON'T HAVE INTANET OR TV WRONG

The DS Lite has internet browser and some new software that costs about 25 pounds gets u a tv ariel and plugin for ds lite and normal ds

Timewarp
07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
yep for ds soon you will be able to buy a tv tuner hardrive and a web browser which is easier cause of the stylus

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!