PDA

View Full Version : Sony confirms PS3 controller redesign

HUGECOOL
24-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Sony today confirmed they plan to toss the much-reviled boomerangamajig PS3 controller thingy, according to CNNMoney.com reporter Chris Morris. A redesigned controller is expected to be unveiled at E3, in May.

Smells like a revolution! :)
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3941/adamportilla11pk.jpg

Beef Samich
24-03-2006, 02:29 AM
quit blaming everything sony and microsoft do to be copying nintendo.

honestly it looks more original than that nintendo one anyways

LYKE DEY COPIED OFF SONYYYYY!11111!!

HUGECOOL
24-03-2006, 02:51 AM
quit blaming everything sony and microsoft do to be copying nintendo.

honestly it looks more original than that nintendo one anyways

LYKE DEY COPIED OFF SONYYYYY!11111!!
Uhh.. I never said that? "/

The fact that I said it "smells like a revolution" wasn't intended to say it was stolen off Nintendo nor to be correlated with the new Nintendo console, which will be getting a name-change soon. o_O

The reason Sony had to redesign their controller is because they stole the technology behind Immersion's heptic technology and were told that they could no longer use that technology on "their" Dual-Shock controllers.

But according to your logic, Sony never stole anything, right?

Beef Samich
24-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Uhh.. I never said that? "/

The fact that I said it "smells like a revolution" wasn't intended to say it was stolen off Nintendo nor to be correlated with the new Nintendo console, which will be getting a name-change soon. o_O

The reason Sony had to redesign their controller is because they stole the technology behind Immersion's heptic technology and were told that they could no longer use that technology on "their" Dual-Shock controllers.

But according to your logic, Sony never stole anything, right?

DAM STRIAGH PHOOLLLL

only kidding

xxMATTGxx
24-03-2006, 07:26 AM
LMAO , Its not taken from Nintendo they can do which one they like.

Hmmm new design... maybe :P

Charles
24-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Nice and 'new'.
But I don't like it ;D

JoeyK.
24-03-2006, 06:38 PM
:(

I was looking forward to getting a boomerangamajig.

SHEEPY
24-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Some more details from GDC from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697658p1.html

PS3 :: Region-free PS3
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

PS3 :: Sony Goes Digital
For PS3 (and to a lesser degree, as was mentioned at the PlayStation conference earlier this month, the PlayStation Portable), SCE has plans for a more complex revenue system than just brick-and-mortar game sales. The plans include digital distribution and episodic content of existing games. SCE also is interested in in-game advertising and long-time subscription gameplans, where appropriate.

PS3 :: New PS3 Online Details
Sony is offering features which will be familiar to users of Xbox Live. Sony’s online network will offer downloadable content and online commerce using micropayments (for instance, a player could buy a new Motorstorm in-game racetrack for a dollar). The company also plans a subscription service. Sony cited the upcoming Formula One PS3 title as another game using the new network platform.
Messages and online contact lists will appear over a game’s display. The service will also offer video chat.

PS3 :: Fresh PS3 Details
Harrison also revealed that the PlayStation 3 will be fully backwards-compatible from the start. Its worldwide launch in November -- which will include Australia -- will be supported by one million units available per month.
Sony plans to have final PS3 development kits available in June. The company has confirmed initial middleware support, including Epic’s Unreal Engine and AGEIA and Havok 3.3 physics -- all optimized for the system.
We should soon learn more about the mysterious PS3 controller, as Sony will reveal the final design in May. Many have suspected that the futuristic boomerang controller Sony has shown so far is merely a conceptual design.

All very interesting. The controller clearly isn’t the final design, Sony themselves are even using PS2 pads to play their PS2 games. The link has info on all the realtime game demos at the conference.

Perhaps the most disappointing is that Sony are still following their "provide your own online support" structure for gaming, when Xbox Live clearly shows a centralised system works better. Oh well.

JoeyK.
24-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Some more details from GDC from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697658p1.html

PS3 :: Region-free PS3
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

PS3 :: Sony Goes Digital
For PS3 (and to a lesser degree, as was mentioned at the PlayStation conference earlier this month, the PlayStation Portable), SCE has plans for a more complex revenue system than just brick-and-mortar game sales. The plans include digital distribution and episodic content of existing games. SCE also is interested in in-game advertising and long-time subscription gameplans, where appropriate.

PS3 :: New PS3 Online Details
Sony is offering features which will be familiar to users of Xbox Live. Sony’s online network will offer downloadable content and online commerce using micropayments (for instance, a player could buy a new Motorstorm in-game racetrack for a dollar). The company also plans a subscription service. Sony cited the upcoming Formula One PS3 title as another game using the new network platform.
Messages and online contact lists will appear over a game’s display. The service will also offer video chat.

PS3 :: Fresh PS3 Details
Harrison also revealed that the PlayStation 3 will be fully backwards-compatible from the start. Its worldwide launch in November -- which will include Australia -- will be supported by one million units available per month.
Sony plans to have final PS3 development kits available in June. The company has confirmed initial middleware support, including Epic’s Unreal Engine and AGEIA and Havok 3.3 physics -- all optimized for the system.
We should soon learn more about the mysterious PS3 controller, as Sony will reveal the final design in May. Many have suspected that the futuristic boomerang controller Sony has shown so far is merely a conceptual design.

All very interesting. The controller clearly isn’t the final design, Sony themselves are even using PS2 pads to play their PS2 games. The link has info on all the realtime game demos at the conference.

Perhaps the most disappointing is that Sony are still following their "provide your own online support" structure for gaming, when Xbox Live clearly shows a centralised system works better. Oh well.
Nice :)

Wayne
24-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Heh? That looks rubbish. :)

zak-x
24-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Thats worst then the boomerang, atleast you can through the boomerang in the air :(

Chaz
24-03-2006, 07:04 PM
They wnt realese it with the ps3, it will be on sale with it though...

xxMATTGxx
24-03-2006, 07:31 PM
They probley keep the old design...

.:Subarusti:.
24-03-2006, 09:12 PM
whos in agreement that the PS3 is going to be a flop, and the Revoloution owns all?

I am, and i bought a 360 (good console, only regret is i sent money to microsoft)

The only way Sony can shift the console is by making a big loss and praying they make it up in games (which they will prbs)

The E3 amazing previews they made, were run on a machine bigger than my house, and were said to be what Sony 'hoped' to achieve! And the godfather of Metal Gear Solid said the preview he made for the PS3 was easy to recreate on the 360

Also, its another GT4 case, Gran turismo 1 was good as it was the original, GT2 was the sequal and was saught after because of that, Gt3 was the new Ps2 title, but there was nothing special about GT4 so there wasnt as much hype over it. And its the same with these new consoles. The Revoloution has the awsome new controller, the 360 has the cool features coming soon like: Full internet, Sky HD box (it will be able to become one in the future) Online MArketplace etc. As Official Xbox 360 magazine said "its like the internet 2.0" But the only good thing about the PS3 is Gran turismo (in HD) and GTA, oh and blu-ray, the excuse for an overpriced console!

Magnet
24-03-2006, 10:11 PM
I have a gut feeling Sony are gonna lose so much on this console they will stop making consoles, only handhelds aand games will still be made. I don't know why, it seems way overpriced, and, from what I've heard of it not playing DVD's, only Blu-ray movies is so pathetic. But of course, it may not be true.

Bear-Max
25-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Just so everyone knows that pic is not going to be the controller... It's someone's concept fanart.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!