PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or PS3?

Sazzle
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Ah, so I decided not to get the Xbox 360 as I wanted to wait for the PS3. However, the fact that the PS3 is now delayed until November (and it could even be delayed until '07 according to some tech site blogs) has affected my plans. I don't know whether to wait for the PS3 or buy the Xbox 360 now?
I just wanted to ask some of you who may have the Xbox 360, is it worth it? Well in comparison, the PS3 is better than the Xbox 360, but is it worth the wait?

Tyed
04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Buy xBox Now Get PS3 For Crimbo Or W.e

Magnet
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Ah, so I decided not to get the Xbox 360 as I wanted to wait for the PS3. However, the fact that the PS3 is now delayed until November (and it could even be delayed until '07 according to some tech site blogs) has affected my plans. I don't know whether to wait for the PS3 or buy the Xbox 360 now?
I just wanted to ask some of you who may have the Xbox 360, is it worth it? Well in comparison, the PS3 is better than the Xbox 360, but is it worth the wait?

You don't know the PS3 is better then the 360 until you've tried them both. So don't judge by what you read.

Also, I have an Xbox 360. T'is awesome, Live is great, graphics are astonishing (Even on my 14" tiny TV), and the design is great, also, great games (Oblivion, Dead Rising, Saints row, GR:AW, Halo 3 etc.). So, unless you want to wait, get the 360.

Sazzle
04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah I suppose you're right, you only really know whats better once you've tried it yourself. However..
'The PS3 seems to do everything the 360 does, but is more ambitious:

1. The PS3 has a 60 GB detachable hard drive that is standard - the Xbox 360 only has 20 GB. Not exactly a huge leap over 10 GB.
2. The PlayStation Network Platform will have all the features of Xbox Live silver, including free online multiplayer.
3. Built-in next-gen media instead of a peripheral.
4. The PS3 has next-gen media. Every generation there is a step up from media - PS1 used CD's while PS2 used DVD's, the PS3 will use BD's and it will turn out to be worth it. The PS3 discs (Blu-ray) can hold 50 GB's of data while the 360's DVD's can only hold 9 GB. Except bigger worlds with the PS3.
5. 90%+ backward compatibility with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games; Xbox 360 has an embarassing 200 game backward compatibility list with many AAA titles not included (such as Chronicles of Riddick).
6. The PS3 has 6 USB ports + a Compact Flash slot + an SD/MMD slot + Bluetooth + 7 controllers at once. The 360 has none of these.
7. The PS3 not only has HDMI output instead of only component video and DVI output, but it can also reach a 1080p resolution. The 360 can only do 1080i.'
(got that off a review)

Yeah..I might just end up getting the Xbox 360, get PS3 sometime next year. It really has put a downer on my plans this delay ;[ But it will probably will be worth it, it seemed microsoft just rushed the xbox 360's release.

Magnet
04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah I suppose you're right, you only really know whats better once you've tried it yourself. However..

1. The PS3 has a 60 GB detachable hard drive that is standard - the Xbox 360 only has 20 GB. Not exactly a huge leap over 10 GB.
2. The PlayStation Network Platform will have all the features of Xbox Live silver, including free online multiplayer.
4. The PS3 has next-gen media. Every generation there is a step up from media - PS1 used CD's while PS2 used DVD's, the PS3 will use BD's and it will turn out to be worth it. The PS3 discs (Blu-ray) can hold 50 GB's of data while the 360's DVD's can only hold 9 GB. Except bigger worlds with the PS3.
5. 90%+ backward compatibility with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games; Xbox 360 has an embarassing 200 game backward compatibility list with many AAA titles not included (such as Chronicles of Riddick).
6. The PS3 has 6 USB ports + a Compact Flash slot + an SD/MMD slot + Bluetooth + 7 controllers at once. The 360 has none of these.
7. The PS3 not only has HDMI output instead of only component video and DVI output, but it can also reach a 1080p resolution. The 360 can only do 1080i.'
(got that off a review)

Yeah..I might just end up getting the Xbox 360, get PS3 sometime next year. It really has put a downer on my plans this delay ;[ But it will probably will be worth it, it seemed microsoft just rushed the xbox 360's release.

At the same time with number 6, Sony confirmed they're changing the design of the PS3, so that could change.

But nice information their, the backwards compatibility is embarressing for the 360, Microsoft need to spend more time translating the codes of the Xbox games to make it compatible.

The thing about Sony's online system, I seriously doubt that will work, I mean, it won't be as good as Live, ever. Although I don't know this, Sony could make it better, I don't know what extra features sony could make (Although chat rooms could be cleaner then those of Live, and maybe animated chat rooms where you control a character from a game you play).

Same with the hard drive, I feel Microsoft need to make their hard drive bigger, whilst it's 20GB, 7gb of that has been used for all the menu's etc. on the 360, so possibly, and extremely likely, the PS3 will only have around 50gb storage to be able to use.

HUGECOOL
04-04-2006, 07:59 PM

(got that off a review)

Point number 2 is actually a little off. Unlike Live, the PS3 online service will not be extremely centralized. Sources say it "looks a lot like the PlayStation 2 with an online store and some inexpensive community features added on." Playstation 2's online was horrible. [source]

Point number 3 can can leave you kind of skeptical. Although Sony is using the PS3 as a gateway to the BluRay industry, it is very doubtful that it will become the next mainstream media. The popularity of the DVD was created when DVD playback was enabled in computers as standard. DVD went mainstream and stayed there. Some movie ompanies (Universal) have already deemed BD a flop because all that space isn't very necessary- they used UMDs, MDs, and various other useless formats by Sony as examples. The media industry is most likely leaning towards HD-DVD at this time because of price and convenience. (BD players aren't exactly customer priced.)

Point 4 is not exatly true. Although developers will have more space to work with, it won't necessarily mean the games will all be one-hit wonders.- it just means the games will be larger, not exactly worth waiting for.

Basically the 360 has everything the PS3 has exept you won't have to pay another $100 to have the Sony name imprinted on the console.

Beef Samich
05-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Point number 2 is actually a little off. Unlike Live, the PS3 online service will not be extremely centralized. Sources say it "looks a lot like the PlayStation 2 with an online store and some inexpensive community features added on." Playstation 2's online was horrible. [source]

Point number 3 can can leave you kind of skeptical. Although Sony is using the PS3 as a gateway to the BluRay industry, it is very doubtful that it will become the next mainstream media. The popularity of the DVD was created when DVD playback was enabled in computers as standard. DVD went mainstream and stayed there. Some movie ompanies (Universal) have already deemed BD a flop because all that space isn't very necessary- they used UMDs, MDs, and various other useless formats by Sony as examples. The media industry is most likely leaning towards HD-DVD at this time because of price and convenience. (BD players aren't exactly customer priced.)

Point 4 is not exatly true. Although developers will have more space to work with, it won't necessarily mean the games will all be one-hit wonders.- it just means the games will be larger, not exactly worth waiting for.

Basically the 360 has everything the PS3 has exept you won't have to pay another $100 to have the Sony name imprinted on the console.

geeezz you need to get outside. it's just a clunk a metal.

HUGECOOL
05-04-2006, 01:29 AM
geeezz you need to get outside. it's just a clunk a metal.
It's called making sense. ;D
And actually, it's a clunk of plastic, silicon, copper, and other non-organic material.

Jaw
05-04-2006, 03:08 AM
I have the 360.
All i can say is, this is one hell of a sic console..

Buy Buy Buy

wtuo
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
xbox 360 is overrated at this point in time. my opinion: save your money and get it with a bunch of games when
a) the console is cheaper
b) there's a better range of games that aren't average
c) when games aren't RRP'd at £50!
d) when they become more popular so Xbox Live becomes more popular
e) When Halo 3 comes out

there's just not enough reasoning for me to buy one right now, considering most of the games are shocking beyond belief.

Tomm
05-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Personally I would buy a PS3 as I am a PS fan not a XBox fan..

Bear-Max
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM

1. I'll give it to Sony, a big hard-drive is good. But then again, I haven't filled up my 360's 20GB HDD yet, and who says that a bigger one won't come out in the future?
2. Free online multiplayer is good, but I can't see it being as good. Microsoft is expert in user communities.
3. & 4. There's no solid way to say that either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be a success; it's just like the old Betamax vs. Video war. Some people are just going to buy PS3's to be a cheap Blu-ray player. I'm not interested in the next gen discs though, all that space isn't needed and I don't have a hi-def TV set to play hi-def movies on.
5. Although it is quite a poor list of games, I didn't buy my 360 to play Xbox games on it. I'm content with 360 titles.
6. I never use more than 2 USB ports, and I can state with certainty that I would never use 7 controllers.
7. I haven't got a hi-def television set. Plus, there's not that much difference between 1080i and 1080p.

So my advice? Make up your own mind :P

.:Subarusti:.
06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 360, its just astonishing, i recently got a 17" LCD tv (not HD) and used the RGB connectors, the graphics on things like menus were more crips and detailed, and so were the crowds on PGR3, Im not a big fan of the PS3 but in reality ill probably end up getting one, just for F1 07, Gran turismo, and of course GTA. But the revoloution is the one im excited about! :8

mnbvjifhgtge
06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
do i HAVE to have a hd ready tv to use either of these or can i use it with my standard tv

Timewarp
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
do i HAVE to have a hd ready tv to use either of these or can i use it with my standard tv
dunno but ninty said the revo will be great with normal tvs aswell because graphics arent the way forward

ssricky
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
again with these threads stop comparing 360 and ps3 u cant compare cuz ps3 isnt even out yet they dont even have a solid design for it and to let u ps3 lovers know its gunna cost u 2 grand to get one 1000dollars for frame 1000 for external harddrive and controlers -.-"

Jordan3
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
You can't really compare at the moment. All I can say is that the PS3 has a LOT to live up to.

Jordan3
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
there's just not enough reasoning for me to buy one right now, considering most of the games are shocking beyond belief.

Shocking? DOA4, Perfect Dark Zero, Oblivion, PGR 3, Fifa World Cup, GRAW to name a few. I could hardly even think of calling them average, let alone shocking.

Sabu
07-04-2006, 12:31 AM
You don't know the PS3 is better then the 360 until you've tried them both. So don't judge by what you read.

Yup. I have both Xbox and PS2, but I dont want to get a PS3 and a 360 because I mainly play my laptop, PS2 or GBASP/DS

JoeyK.
07-04-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd say to wait for PS3, 360 looks like the worst of the three systems right now. It'd be worth the wait.

HUGECOOL
07-04-2006, 03:10 AM
I'd say to wait for PS3, 360 looks like the worst of the three systems right now. It'd be worth the wait.
Sorry, but how does it look worst? I'm finding hard to understand.

I dislike the 360, but not as far as calling it the worst of the three knowing that the Rev or the PS3 could very well be horrendous, much more the PS3 than the Rev since Nintendo already said it was underpowered, meaning Nintendo's customers won't be disappointed without 4D graphics. :rolleyes:

So far, Microsoft is shining amongst the threee companies because its next-gen console is out in the market. Sony has a propensity to lie to the public- promising unrealistic goals (Matrix-like interfaces, etc.), Microsoft loves to milk its customers (Xbox Live), and Nintendo usually offers less powerful systems.

wtuo
10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Shocking? DOA4, Perfect Dark Zero, Oblivion, PGR 3, Fifa World Cup, GRAW to name a few. I could hardly even think of calling them average, let alone shocking.

6 great games hardly justifys either spending 40-50 quid each on ONE game, and 180+ on the damn console. Live out the xbox and ps2 first, they still got life in them. People are just too eager to get ahead of the game. Chill out and enjoy some quality gamage!

Neversoft
10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Save your money for something better.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!