III. Behavior of noobs

IV. Noob religion

V. More about noob habitats

C. AVOIDING NOOBS

I. Make sure you aren´t one

II. Major noob avoiding strategies

A. INTRO

I. What is this?

This guide is designed to give you a better understanding of what a noob is, how to recognize them, some details about them, and how to avoid or get rid of them. It mostly applies to online forums, which are the main targets of migrating noobs.

II. Defining ´Noob´

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. Noobs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

Noobs are often referred to as n00bs as a sign of disrespect toward them, and it´s often hella funny, but I will refer to them as noobs during this reading.

* Usually the topic at hand on an internet forum.

B. COMMON NOOB CHARACTERISTICS

I. Noobish

Often, but not always, noobs will attempt to communicate in their own primitive language, known as noobish. It is a variant of the hacker language that exposes them as having little intelligence or will to learn. Here is an example of some noobish. Do not attempt to comprehend it: it cannot be discerned without professionals at hand.

stFU /\/\an, i r teh r0xx0rz liek emin3m, u cna go tO EHLL OR ATLE4St help m3 wit hthIS!!111!!!!!!!1~~1!!``!! LOLLOLOLLOLOLlOoLLOlollLLl u n00b

Although you may find this unbelievably funny and/or annoying, it is best to restrain yourself and keep from talking back to them, as they are very territorial and easily angered. This will result in their attempted verbal abuse of you, possibly backed up by other noobs, because they work in packs when doing offensive tasks. It is not an easy task to learn this language because our intelligent accent will keep it from sounding quite right when spoken. You can write some simple noobish of your own, however, by slamming your face into your keyboard repeatedly.

II. Where to find noobs

On the internet, noobs make their colonies on forums. They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to be on a board large enough to attract migrating noobs, there will hopefully be authority in charge who is smart enough to take extermination measures before they can make nests and larger colonies.

Larger colonies can result in the mutation of some into spammers. Not commercial spammers, but pointless spammers. A noob can become one of these at any point, but the larger the amount of noobs, the more chance pointless spammers will appear.

Off the internet, noobs appear anywhere the focus is on learning or discussing something specific.

III. Behavior of noobs

Since noobs are basically ignorant ...., they have a lot in common. The most often seen characteristic is their fluency in noobish, which is why it got its own section. They will also be very self confident as if they were the absolute best at what they are in fact the worst at. Also, they are quite agressive and self-centered, and tend to laugh a lot using many L´s and O´s in rapid sucession .

It is their instinct to assemble in packs for defense, and they often attempt to organize packs that they call teams. Unfortunately for them, teams usually result in a total loss of communication and they can often begin to fight amongst each other. These teams are quite unlike those formed by non-noobs.

Noobs have difficulty reading english and cannot comprehend the idea of authority.

Therefore, they have an all-out disregard for rules, basic or not. A good way to identify a noob (bad) vs. a newb (good) is to tell them (or have an authority tell them) which rule they are unknowingly breaking. If they respond with an apology and fix it, they are probably not a noob. If they react by insulting everything around them in rapid noobish and causing general mayhem, it is because they are a noob and have had a small seizure due to their inability to understand what is happening.

IV. Noob religion

Noobs follow a variation of the one thousand three hundred and thirty seven (sometimes 7331) religion, in which they worship the number in odd rituals and put altars in their forum avatars and signatures. They often call themselves one thousand three hundred and thirty seven, which experts say is somewhat like calling themselves godly in a human language. It´s best to not interfere with their religious fantasies and practices because that can lead to a noob uprising, which can turn a forum to mush in less than a week.

V. More about noob habitats

Noobs often attempt to maintain their own web pages. Some common features of these lairs are a terrible lack of content, background music, lots of pointless animated gifs, and pages that say some variation of ´tHEir isnothinG H34r yEtt LOLLOLOL!111!1!!~~~!!`! 13371337´, which means ´Nothing here yet´ in noobish.

They will also have large, seemingly infinite marquees of 88X31 affiliate buttons replaced with red X´s scattered here and there, and possibly a hit counter showing a number less than 100. These habitats are numerous but fairly easy to avoid because only noobs link to them. So if you can identify a noob, don´t go to its homepage. Simple as that.

C. AVOIDING NOOBS

I. Make sure you aren´t one

Note: This section is bilingual so even noobs can make the discovery if they haven´t already.

English (T4lk)-

Read the above parts of this guide carefully. If you find yourself unable to comprehend any of it but are instead beginning to think about how great you are and how awesome ´teh one thousand three hundred and thirty seven´ is, you might want to take one of the many available online quizzes to check your noobancy.

Noobish (133713371337)- Liek, u gott4 re3D teh gudieCAREFUl1y and tehn OMG LIEK I AM R0XX0RZ ya anD ify 0u turn into teh ******ED u gota go 2 MY WEBP4GE LOLLOLOL!!111~11 ad check 4 warez n stfuu. if u r a n00b go2HELL LOLLOLOlROFLMFAO11!!!11!!!! a/s/l pos gtg n00b suxx0rz ur b0xx0rz OLOOOLOLLLL HELP HELP HELP 1337133713371337

II. Major noob avoiding strategies

The main factor in attracting migrating herds of noobs is a large, active forum. If you find one of these, look to see if it has the management to avoid noob infestation. If not, look for a small or mid-sized forum that covers the same topic so you can enjoy your time there before the noobs find it.

Another way to keep noobs from interfering with your life is to become part of the authority on one of these forums. But that´s often hard to do so you´ll probably be better off avoiding larger forums first off. If you do manage to become part of the authority, however, take full advantage of it and establish extermination policies so that normal people can have a nice time without noob infestations.

G-flow
28-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Lol i read some of it. lmao . very amusing . lol. well done!

Mentor
28-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Athogh it sound slike a documnetry of the descovry chanle it is inaccurent.

1337 means leet or eleat, it dates back to a hacking group of windows 95 (forgot name of vunrablitys they used), athogh only people predting to be hackers still use it.... mostly.

Secondsly noob more commnly refers to teh definition of newb, and is commely used on codieng forums etc, or in the php mailing lists, to put over your clules on the subject.

lukeisok
28-12-2004, 12:22 PM
I Red A Bout 10% Then Gave Up. X)

Mr.Kylee
28-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Lol I was bored :)

Hippygurl101
28-12-2004, 06:42 PM
I read all of it. Hmm Interesting. Must of been quite bored.

GommeInc
29-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree, bored you are.

Pulchritudinous
29-12-2004, 08:08 PM
How can you avoid being a noob, you'd just have to do nothing, so you never start anything, so your new to nothing..how fun.

I read the 'contents' and about the first paragraph, and it sounded like an essay so I scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled and it was veryyyyy long so I could not be bothered to read anymore.

Case closed.

la-ur-en
29-12-2004, 10:03 PM
How can you avoid being a noob, you'd just have to do nothing, so you never start anything, so your new to nothing..how fun.

I read the 'contents' and about the first paragraph, and it sounded like an essay so I scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled and it was veryyyyy long so I could not be bothered to read anymore.

Case closed.

I agree with you...

Noobs isn't a very nice word to use, Newbie is alot more... Kinder....

Mentor
29-12-2004, 10:45 PM
N00b and newbie are the same word? is that so hard to understand? n00b has less letters and is easyer to type. that the ONLY diffternce?

Butcher11
29-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Good job Kyle, but still, the whole idea of stereotyping this way is appalling in itself.

Jacko2kn3
30-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Good job Kyle, but still, the whole idea of stereotyping this way is appalling in itself.

I totally agree.

Being singled out because they are new to something is shocking. Shouldn't you be teaching them what habbo is, and getting a few to sign up on habboxforum ;)

Instead of avoiding them, and treating them with no respect, help them. We were all new once (except for me, I've been here forever :P)

Mr.Kylee
30-12-2004, 12:08 PM
This isn't about habbo..is in general because on some forums..the newbs are just really annoying, they're trying to annoy you..and I wasn't in really good mood..so I wrote this? :) plus boredum some newbs are really nice and fun to chat with thought. I tried to help some ( on other forums ) and they laughed at me and called me names..etc. Some of them are really so inmature.

Jacko2kn3
30-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Then you don't help them, but what is the harm in trying? If they are annoying, you don't help them, if they aren't, then you do.

I'll agree that some noobs can be annoying, but that is mainly to the fact that they don't know what to do.

Mentor
30-12-2004, 02:19 PM
The anonying ones on forum fall better under the term spammers. There not acatly new to anything there just trying to annoy and get there postcounds up. I dont see teh realtion to noobs / newbies, wich are just people who are new to what ever there taryoing to do

Hippygurl101
30-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah now spammers I cant stand really because there jsut taggin on to anything. I think the thing is New people all desrve a chance, we were all new and we earened respect from others. Some people go out of there way to deliberately annoy everyone.. But then from my experience they dont have to be new at all either. Some people just wind people up for fun..Sad exsistances.

GommeInc
31-12-2004, 05:05 PM
For Gommes sake, I am a n00b to HTML which is very true, am I crying La-ur-en? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a n00b to Habos alts, oh christ I am in tears...

FOr the love of Life, NOOB = NEWBIE, get it into your HEADS!!!!

la-ur-en
31-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Oh yes, i cry all the time because people on habbox think im a noob! :(
Actually, i didn't mention at all that i cry!
For god sake, why dont you get it into your mind that ITS NOT THE ACTUAL WORD THAT IS OFFENSIVE, IT IS THE WAY SOME PEOPLE USE IT IN SENTENCES! THEY CALL HABBOS NOOBS FOR NO REASON (EVEN IF THEY AREN'T A NEWBIE) AND MAKE RUDE GESTURES TO THEM!

Mentor
31-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok so u think an inoffnecive word can be used as in inuslt. i dont think it can unless u blive teh word is offence. unles u would get offened, by someone coming up to you and shout, "you exstarly nice and smart person!!!" wow i must be so offened. "you person who is new to this game" i must be so offened.

The "you person who is new to this game" happebns to be the meaning of teh word noob, evn thogh its not persifly to a game or forum. i dont see it as offnecice? it just means NEWBIE

dj-ally
31-12-2004, 06:26 PM
OMG THATS SOOOOOOO FUNNY IM SORRY BUT IT IS!

la-ur-en
31-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Ok so u think an inoffnecive word can be used as in inuslt. i dont think it can unless u blive teh word is offence. unles u would get offened, by someone coming up to you and shout, "you exstarly nice and smart person!!!" wow i must be so offened. "you person who is new to this game" i must be so offened.

The "you person who is new to this game" happebns to be the meaning of teh word noob, evn thogh its not persifly to a game or forum. i dont see it as offnecice? it just means NEWBIE

Why do we call noobs then? is it not simpler to just call them there habbo name? GET IT INTO YOUR HEAD, people walk into a club, and try to make friends, then someone turns around and says 'go away you noob' that would make you feel unwanted in the hotel!

And who said i get offended? I said it is offensive, that does not mean it offends me, it means it could offend me, if someone says to your friend 'oh my god you're soo ugly' it is still offensive to some people, even although it may not be offensive to you! but it could be offensive to you, if someone said that to you!

Mentor
31-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Becuse noob a 4 letter word is easyer to taye than the names of 6 difrent people who have a laod a radom Speacl chraiters in there name.

if its not offenciev to you, how do you know its offencive?
Why woudl u wnat to be friedns with an idiot nayway, if u cant figure out whta noobs means, your far worse off than a noob. Noobs are newbies, people that cant be bother to lern simple things, wich are the ones that fit the description of this topic, there not noobs just idots and spammers. BIG diffrnece.
Im not shore if any knows but noob is prenounced newbie. N ooo sound - Bee sound.

Hippygurl101
01-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the pronounceation lesson.
Mentor sometimes I really dont understand what your writing.. You say sometimes its easier to call them 'Noobs' then there names, Laziness is an insult to itself.
Just because someone is not offended by something doesn not mean they dont know its offensive. For example In life I wouldnt find someone making a remark at me offense in a funny way cos thats who I am but i know that other people are more sensitive to others and so i know it would offend them.

All Im sayin is that next time your dishing out the word that you dont find offensive think about who your saying it to, the person behind the pixels. For all you know they may be more sensitive to you, have diferent out looks on life and overall get insulted by your throwaway remark.

Pulchritudinous
01-01-2005, 05:06 PM
They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to be on a board large enough to attract migrating noobs, there will hopefully be authority in charge who is smart enough to take extermination measures before they can make nests and larger colonies.

Thats a funny bit, I don't really care, it's just a made up word, I don't think anyone who has commen sense would get offended by the word, I think kyle just made it for fun.

Mentor is dyslexic and thats why it looks like gobble-de-goop.

Mentor
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Callling some isnt offencive. I dont find it offenceive. The words not ment to be offencive. Its means newbie, its a description, it the rank you strat out on on habbox, if noob offneds u may as well be offned byu your title, noob is an incoffncive word, wich if said to somone with a few brain cells on them wont be misintrtped as offencive.

Newbie, your new to somthing. its not ment to be offncive by any stretch of teh imagnition? why can posple not seem to grasp this conspet?
Its probly becue some peopel dont mix up to very idffrnt things.
Noobs = a newbie
Spammer = a idot who alks stupid questions, annoys people, clogs band wipth, and fist the genral descriptio nof what this topic thinsk noob are.
The topic describes spammers noit noobs.
Everey single person on this forum is a noob at somthing. Everyone is technily a noob? hwo is it offnecive, if your not new to a particlar thing u wont be called a noob on it, exspet by otehr noobs trying to be cool, idots and spammers

la-ur-en
01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Mentor, i'm sorry, but i have explained so many times, so look carefully this time... It's not the WORD that is offensive, it is the way some people use it, and if they are 'noobs' then obviously they wont know what the word means, so they will take it offensively!
God, its like talking to a damn brick wall :eusa_wall

Mentor
01-01-2005, 11:28 PM
God, its like talking to a damn brick wall
Now u know how you feel.
Ho hard is it to get teh conspet that teh WORD isnt offencive, If you use an inofncive word as an insult it not insulting. If you an turn a computer on, you should be able to figure out n00b means newbie. most people can tell teh when some types y, on msn they mean why, those saem peope can usely tell noob means newbie. If you denye your a noob when you are your just nyeve and proving u are a noob. Its not offencie and cant be miscouted as offencved exspet by a few idots who sit there tryinhg to be cool.

Adzeh
01-01-2005, 11:34 PM
expect us to read that.

n00b = a person who is new to a site or idea.

-JT-
02-01-2005, 12:55 AM
this has to be the most pointless guid in the world. My friend was making a site about n00bs, which was a v. n00bish site, which i touched up of course but i was a n00b back then :P

also la-ur-en, did you wish me a merry christmas?

Mr.Kylee
02-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Omg chill guys :) it was a joke ok? woo x]

Hippygurl101
02-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Mentor You really dont get what im trying to say. Just because you dont find it offensive, Doesnt mean others dont. You constantly repeat you dont find it Offensive, we grasp this, but you dont understand that not every one in the world thinks like you do they? Other people may find it offensive and can see how it can be offensive. I also agree with La-ur-en (never thought this would happen huh, lol the debates we used to have.) People use the word in such a meaning to be offensive way. Some people use it as a obvious insult, its there motive to get at this person. So How can it not be an insult?

Mentor
02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
I keep making the point becuse you still havent got it. *head butts wall*

Look, If somone calls you a noob, your very first time on habbo, and say you dont know what the word is, why do u say people wil instanly jump to the conclusin its an insult?
Alot of people use words in offenove ways, thast art offencive, some have become to deep set in to teh lange to change, its quite sick that people always pervert words. Alot of sop called sware words arent even rude?
The flushing toilet was known as a ****per
*******, was what jesus in the bible if correctly tranletd is called, and means somone who paraents arent marryed. (its also i type of sugar )
2 exsamples. Now you are trying to pervert noob in to a bad word, And i serioly do think tahst a bit sick, People who use words without knowing there means are idiots, to the full exsetnt of the word.

FRISC0
02-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Lmao it's good but i can't read it all :eusa_clap

la-ur-en
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I keep making the point becuse you still havent got it. *head butts wall*

Look, If somone calls you a noob, your very first time on habbo, and say you dont know what the word is, why do u say people wil instanly jump to the conclusin its an insult?
Alot of people use words in offenove ways, thast art offencive, some have become to deep set in to teh lange to change, its quite sick that people always pervert words. Alot of sop called sware words arent even rude?
The flushing toilet was known as a ****per
*******, was what jesus in the bible if correctly tranletd is called, and means somone who paraents arent marryed. (its also i type of sugar )
2 exsamples. Now you are trying to pervert noob in to a bad word, And i serioly do think tahst a bit sick, People who use words without knowing there means are idiots, to the full exsetnt of the word.

If someone said to you 'Omg go away you pallywag' (made up word i think) if you do not know the meaning of the word, you will straight away find it offensive, and if people are using it as a insult to enhance the sentence 'go away' then it will also immediately become an insult... And we are not trying to pervert 'noob' into a bad word, we are not even saying it is a bad word, 'fat, ugly, stupid ect.' arnt bad words, but they are still offensive, just because people dont see the world in the light that you do, doesnt mean they are 'noobs/stupid...

DiscoMania
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
....,HOW DARE YOU!
you Speak Bad Of Jesus.
SINNER in my relegion.
>:(
How dare you ,Make front at someone cause thier different
How dare you.
Im Never speaking to you ever agian.
GoodBye Mentor.
Hmph

Hippygurl101
02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Wait so lets reverse around your thinking.. People shouldnt get offended because there being called a word they dont know.. Ha Ha to them.. But its ok for you too know what the word means and use it aganist them. Hey I could call you spanish swearwords.. and Hey thats ok cos you wont know what thye mean.. You shouldnt get offended. Even if you go find a dicitonary and work out what it means. You wont get offended.
"People who use words without knowing there means are idiots" well I say people who use words they know others wont understand are pretty good Idiots themselves.
Trying to pervert Noob as a bad word? Were sick? Your the one who thinks its ok to use and say it to people who have no concept what the word is.. (And how do you even know they wont know what it is.. Judge a book by its cover why dont you.)

Mentor
03-01-2005, 12:56 AM
I dont treat others any differntly than id exspect them to treat me. Ive been called a noob, i call my slef a noob, If no one uses a word you wont ever learn it, i dint come on to habbo and maigcly know everything there is to know about it, i asked i learned, i admited i was a noob. And you have it so improted in your mind noob is derogtive. I use the word noob, but i dont use it agaist them, if ther a noob, then youl know if they ask ovios questiosn there not being sarcastic, To know thinsg you must learn, to learn you must start, so unless you are a compleat idot, you have been a noob, and to some things you still are. Im a noob at php, im a noob at rune scape, im a noob to Vb, im Noob at alot of things, if it were offencive, why would so many people say," i know this is a noobish question but..." its just a shortend version of newbie. And if its use like the word pallywag, ill probly start laughing again.

To me noob will always be an infoncive word, if its already to imprinted in your minds taht it a bad one, i may as well give up, and it can fit alog with a few other 4 letted words, as thats seems to be what your saying.

(ps. Serioly speaking no i woulnt realy get offened, athogh i would ask why your getting so angry, im treating this as a debate, not an argumnt? At the moment, im oviosly looseing it, but it wont change my opions, i just wnat people to know facts before tehy make there minds up. The worst thing i belive in the world are people with a close minds, You may think i pay no attention to what you say, and i do. Ill admit you have some good points, but they dont effect the rout of this argumnt. so im staying with what i belive in, if it changes it chnages, but then again, theres no proof it will. <i get the felling you think i hate you, in wich case id just make it clear taht i dont, insted i respect you from being able to make your own desions, and puting over your case, if you wer on my forum ypu would havegot an sanity poinst bonus belive it or not> anyway all thsi baraket is mostly serpet form the actaly debate, i just didnt want people to get the wrong ideas.)

DiscoMania , noobs a holy word in your religion ?

Hippygurl101
03-01-2005, 05:50 PM
You realise in another thread you said 'Ive never been called a noob'. I Just think the idea of calling them Noob in some mixed way your educating them to know ther place and who they are isnt right. To be honest yeah im always gonne think its an insultive word.. But thats me..
I also hate closed mindedness in the world... People are closed minded if they judge someone for being a 'Noob' on what there wearing.. and people do that too often for my liking. (Im not saynig you do.. Being clear here.. I have seen this though.)

(Btw Same.. Im not getting angry I just like debating seriously If you read some old thread between me and Lauren on another forum.. We love this stuff. I dont think ya hate me.. Neither do I hate you.. I value the fact you like to fight for your opnion many people dont always stand up for there convictions.)

Mentor
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Ok good to hear.

But noob isnt raely a position? its a stadge, if you doint go threw its you would never get or do anything? Noob rather than being a bad thing, i would actaly consider better than being an exsprinced player, if your a noob it means you are trying or leaning somthing new. If you dont understand somthing you ask, rather than try and pretedn your not a noob, and become some of the people who use it as an insult becus ethey are not aware of its true meaing.
If i hated noobs, why would i be helping people who are trying to learn hwo to make websites? i rairly use the word noob in normal convertion, or when talking to people indevidualy. If everyoen hate noobs there woulnt be any help desks, and no one would learn naything. I just dont see why it must be misconeved as a bad or derogtive things.

Hippygurl101
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
I work for a number of help desks I dont hate 'Noobs'.. I just there to help people with question and I have seen people who have been on habbo for years come in with queries.. Everyone need help sometme or another. I also never said you Hated 'Noobs' .
Yeah people go through stages, and they help who you become its jsut I think people judge someone becasue of that stage and suggest to them it is a bad thing by using a term like 'Noob' in a mannor that makes them seem worthless Example 'Oh there just a Noob'

Mentor
03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
i personly dont think a person who thinsk like that would be worth the trouble fo trying to be friends with anyway. when i use noob, i dont use it in a bad way, when thinking about it the main person i call a noob is myself when im asking a question that sounds pretty oviols, liek on teh cutenews forum, when i was palying about with it, and accdinkly archive all my news.
if your a noob you have more questiosn and your likly to have less exprince, and i personly dont rely think the time or lengh youve been on something is what defines wherther or not your a noob, its more how exprinced and conftabel you are with somthing, Plus just becue your not a noob doent relay mean you know everything, of corse some people would ask, when im confused i usely just qurie google, wich tend to help.

Hippygurl101
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
You said it was someone new to something..But now its a different definition. Obviously people who think like that arent really people you wanna be friends with. Meh cutenews isnt easy.. You just made a mistake.
Yeah you say with the label 'Noob' you expect them to have less experience but isnt that a sterotype in its self.. I mean a new poster on here would be called 'Newbie' but it doesnt mean they havent been on forums before. They could have been using them for years, and even own there own forum.

Mentor
03-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes but it still means you would have had less exsprince at this forum, im on alot of forum's and there mostly pretty diffrence, some are strict, some our fun, some our helpful, some are filled with spammers, some are filed withe xsperets at things. You still have to get to know what an indeviual forum is like, and understand whats deemed accpble and not acceptable on it, how people will responed to differnt things.
If your on newgroudns people wont blink twice as a bllodfisty and vilent flash, if you psote dthe same thing here, you would probly get in trouble for it.
You can still be a noob to a forum, even thogh your not a noob at acatly suing the forum software.

ps. in teh cutnes exspample, i was a noob, i was new to the thing, and the answer i got was exstramly logical and pretty ovios when i think back to it.

DiscoMania
03-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Mentor , i never said anything about noobs being in my relegion , i dont think you should talk about jesus on this forums or i will report it.i dont think its right and i am offended.i dont think you should call anyone names.your part of the problem of this world, the problem of hate, of people hateing each other because of thier type or thier style.AND I NEVER TOLD YOU MY RELEGION SO HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

Mentor
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
1. I call most people names, alot of people prefer being called by there names, rather than just person.
2. You got offened on a topic about noobs so its the ovios asumption
3. your doing all the hating.
4. your being offtopic.
5. i thoght you wernt talking to me
As your to bisy hating me to say what offened you, ill just go back on topic now.

Im still pretty convinced, the noob bad word thing orignates from habbo. As previly i havent seen it used in a dergtive fashion, until i joined a few forums about habbo and habbo itself.

GommeInc
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I call a teacher woman, it gets her attention and she knows I want something.

N00b means newbie deal with it, I could write an essay saying this but I am far to lazy.

Pulchritudinous
04-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Blimey, l don't think I'd be offended if someone called me a pallywag and if you would, then you are way to bloody sensitive.

la-ur-en
04-01-2005, 05:56 PM
No, but pallywag isn't a offensive word, but if people used it in a sentence to enhance what they are meaning like get lost/shut up... it will then be hurtful... and mentor her wasn't going off topic, he was commenting on something you said, you do not need to talk about jesus in your posts...
You can use the word 'noob' in a nice way, but i never see people saying it in a nice way, it's like school nearly... there is:
The popular group
The not so popular group...
A well known phrase by the popular group is 'omg freak'...
Freak COULD be used in a nice way, but is hardly ever is used in a nice way...

It is the same matter with noob, it is seperating diffrent habbos, i remember on another forum, they said
usually you can tell if someone is a n00b with there mission/name!
Calling people names, no matter what names (even if it is on habbo) is like being racist...
No matter what name it is, you get offended, because you are being outcasted from other people...

Pulchritudinous
04-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry but I'm talking about a word, and plus even if someone said get lost you pallywag, or even **** off you pallywag, I don't think I'd be offended, I'd think they were a blimmen loser for using such a childish word.

You really need to be less sensitive, and ignore people if they call you a name, everyone gets called names, you just need to rise above it.

Mentor
04-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Im far happyer in the not so popular group, beating each other up and gets u's in exsams isnt my idea of fun. id prefer to be a freek in your eg.

Ps. rasist? you relay need to put som thinsg in prosputive, i cant rember the last time we disied to dicrimated agaist everyone whos name starts with a B for instance, or mybe those people with a name startsiong with c, or worse still k, or worst of all M.
Ps. Most people i fidn prefer being call by there names, and there just as mauch anmes as any other word you want to try and pervert in to a rude one.
The noob things is a habbo problem, most non habbo relted things still mangae toi use words for what thay actaly mean.

ps, u can if there mittion name is " HI im a n00b "

Theres such thing as being overe sensitive. Anyway what does jesus have to do iwth being or what not being noob

la-ur-en
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Look its like bringing up a child!
If you teach a child that knifes are bad, they will grow up to know not to touch knifes!
If you teach a child that swearing is bad, while growing up they wont swear!
If you teach a child that name calling is bad and hurtful, when they grow up knowing that name calling is wrong!
It's the same with habbo, if you come onto habbo, and a few idiots say 'go away you noob' you will then think the word is an offencive word, so you will think it is an insult towards you!

Mentor
04-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Must have trouble eating if there sacred of knifes, sware words are just words, just like noob is, insults are bad, noob isnt one. even thogh a few idots on habbo may use it as one. If people lisne to you they probly think noob is a bad word, and your infect anotehr load of people, use it properly it may bacme a nromal word again.

Ps. Abosulte morratily in my opion is none exsitant, everything has a siturtion in wich it can be right.

la-ur-en
04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Okay, first of all, its not the eating knifes, its the knifes you see in the kitchen, you wouldn't go running about with one!
You cannot have such a big impact on people that it will become a normal word again, PEOPLE JUDGE PEOPLE BY CALLING THEM NEW, i have never seen someone get to know someone then call them a noob, its always, a guessing game, its like guess who, only instead of guessing the name, its presuming the name! There is actually NO need to call people noob! even if it did get its old meaning back, there is still no need! The only reason people use 'noob' now is because they know it will hurt others or annoy others! I find it annoying when i go into a room and someone says 'shut up you noob' I am far from a noob, i have been on since 2001, and i will not take any sort of insults like that! We must all be noobs if we are looking at it as 'new' at something, cause everyone is new to something on habbo, we might go to a room, where everyone knows one another, who will be the noob then? I bet you that noob will lose its meaning soon, and just become an insult, if people dont start using it properly, it will be filtered. but nobody will use it properly, because they enjoy insulting people, its like when you laugh when you see someone fall...

Mentor
04-01-2005, 09:08 PM
you know if u read mny posts ive acatly made that point, a few times now, everyones is technly a noob at somthing, its what ive been pointing out, wether i know someone or not doent chnage the fact there a noob, noob means new to somthing, everyon is a noob at somthing unless they are some boring person who never trys anything. theres no need to call someone a noob.
Yes there are some diost who like insulting people, not everyons like that. its oviosl you wnat noob to be a bad word, but its not, i donmt cair if a few 1000 poeple on habbo are to udmb to use it right, the rest fo the nets seems ok?

Hippygurl101
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah But were talking bout habbo.. Hence the habbo fansite forum.
Thing is Its like la-ur-en was saying we associate words and prhases with the reawrd adn punishment that follows on and we cant help that becasue its how our minds and bahviour work. Example if some one calls us a Noob in an offensive way, and we contunued to be calle that the perrson associates the word as an insult ans it becomes a negative punishment.
Its just conditioning pretty much.
Also 'Want Noob' to be a bad word thats stupid. You would go on a crusade jsut to make something bad when it already is.
Another fact is you realise habboa ctually agrees about N00b. I remmeber reading an article published in the newsie aboutn people calling other people Noob and how it actually falled under a bannable offesne as harrasmenty and absuve comments.. So its obviously not jsut us that think this way is it.

Btw The jesus thing was because you made this earlier reference
"*******, was what jesus in the bible if correctly tranletd is called, and means somone who paraents arent marryed" Didnt really have to bring that in.

Mentor
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I was refencing to make the point perfectly normal and nice words get perverted in to one taht are consideded bad or horrible. Its a perfectly true fact. its part of the point of the bible story, as ist trying to show god accepts those who most look down on, wich is why he was born to an unmarryed in the first place.

When people say braitans turning in to a nanny state, all that does is prove them right. I think its kind of sad realy that people do this to words and then everyoen agrees with it.

It just ads to my belife that humans are stupid, and eventaly were going to kill are selves off, in some poinless war, with no real purpos.

Hippygurl101
05-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Write so because a word you dont beleiuve to be bad, but we do.. we must be supportingt the fact that humans are stupid.
Im gooing to use a nice obvious example tht just sprang to mind but is based on harry potter (Randomly). Now wizards do not get offended by the term 'muddlebood' (Having not read this very recently.. its something like that but People who are half wizrd/ hal normal do get offended as thye find it an insult'. The fact is words mean different things to different people and you cantjudge what people wont get offended by as you dont know them.
Seriously Kill ourselves off for no real purpose.. Were talkin bout a word not world destruction but that will never happen.

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 02:58 PM
You guys shouldn't be using these types of words, n00bs, noobs, Newbs etc originated from gaming... Hardly any of you are interested in any sort of online gaming are you?

Kyle, nice definition, most people do not know there is any difference, we had a big discussion on another forum about this, except most of the replies to that actually knew what they were talking about, as oppose to these previous replies. :rolleyes:

Edit: From the mouth of an experienced gamer; I have been in every type of flaming fight under the hot burning sun... Few use 'newbie' anymore in the gaming community (not the games I play anyhow), it's more n00b... There is a difference, any of you disagree with me? I'll give you a link to one of my gaming forums... You wouldn't last 10 minutes!

I think calling someone new at something a n00b is out of order, and I put my foot in if I see someone doing that anywhere. I only call teamkillers and lamers n00bs!

n00bish laming n00by n00bs!

Hippygurl101
05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I hate the word Noob hence if you have read my countless arguments you would see i dont even know why we use it.
You cant say "You guys shouldn't be using these types of words"
Its like saying you cant say Pie thats my word!. (Even though I wouldnt actually mind people stop using these words.. No problem with me.)

"Hardly any of you are interested in any sort of online gaming are you?"
How do you even know? You 'assume' alot of things.

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I know because of your attitude towards Habbo and your priorities..

If I'm wrong please correct me, Hippygirl - do you play for 4kings in RTCW? or Nervclan in SW:BF..? I doubt any more than 5 people here play for clans in an online community regularly with voice comms, IRC, gaming forums and XFire.

The word 'shouldn't' is normally used as a suggestion, I suggested you guys didn't use them - and you agree you shouldn't use them, so what's your problem?

Pie and n00b have a big difference, for one thing - pie can be used under any circumstance.

Hippygurl101
05-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I was saying that yuo assumed people didnt when you dont know. I dont play those games.. Oh god does that make me bad. Its the way you suggested that one palce couldnt use words as they were from another place on the net.
Perfectly Honest I would love to see them not used, so claim them all you want.
'Its Like' Not 'It is'.. There was a comparison there. Every circumstance.. Cant say i see pie being used so commonly..lol.. A great word though.

My Attitude and My priorites.. these are..?

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I was saying that yuo assumed people didnt when you dont know. I dont play those games.. Oh god does that make me bad. Its the way you suggested that one palce couldnt use words as they were from another place on the net.
Perfectly Honest I would love to see them not used, so claim them all you want.
'Its Like' Not 'It is'.. There was a comparison there. Every circumstance.. Cant say i see pie being used so commonly..lol.. A great word though.

My Attitude and My priorites.. these are..?

Well when most people are on here most of the time I assumed on a good basis because playing for a clan is a lot of work and very time-consuming, no it does not make you bad that you aren't a gamer, it makes someone bad that they use n00b, then think they are using it correctly (NO I'M NOT SAYING YOU DID FOR JESUS' SAKE) :p ... And I didn't say you couldn't use 'n00b', but I see know point in doing so when the true meaning is based on online gaming. I don't need to claim them, the gaming community doesn't care about who uses it, but they slate who uses it improperly.The difference between Pie and n00b is that Pie could be mentioned in any sentence and no one would care, whereas n00b has seemed to have become a world-wide world when it's usually bad gamers that are labelled one.

I know what your attitude 'is like' and I like it, but I'm not going to say what I think of it, because I'd probably lose my job and get banned. Your priorities right now are HabboHotel, and arguing with me... Are they not? :p

But seriously, getting involved with this was a mistake, I need to adjust myself to simple mode when I reply to threads like this, I need to get in touch with my younger side.

Anyway, I really can't be bothered to keep this argument going, can you? Give me your final comeback and let's just forget it.

Hippygurl101
05-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I was saying the 'Am I bad' as a touch of humour.. I see its appreciated. MY attitude is interesting.. Maybe you better not go down that road its a good job dont wanna lose it. My actually priorities are avoiding doing a Pyschology essay and 'Debating' with you. I dont argue, People figure cos i get so het up that im turning it into an argument but I simply like to play off others veiws and have a good time talking things over. Its who I am.
So Its no argument.. But yeah my fingers are getting tired. Touche.
That was no comeback as I think Ive said everything and Btw I do not have anything aganist you. Everyone figures I do in time slike this.. ah well. :)

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering why we keep disagreeing about the same things, then I thought - we're different people, different perspectives. I don't have anything against you either.

Pulchritudinous
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Whoa, what an argument over a word.
To be honest, you just need to be strong, and remember, its a word, its a word, it doesn't matter, I just do that, and now it doesn't bother me if people say anything, especially noob, thats the least of my worrys.

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Nice, see I like the way you look at it too, woah I've discovered a new personality inside me!

GommeInc
05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Thats what I am trying to say, it is a word short for newbie!!!
Swear words are just words that arent rude but people have been led onto it.

Pulchritudinous
05-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Nice, see I like the way you look at it too, woah I've discovered a new personality inside me!

I hope your not being sarcastic thanks...:eusa_eh:

Mentor
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
noob means newbie, I do play on online games, anything form old age of empires (not any more) to newly starting counter strike sorse. (there alot im to lazy to mention)
Its realy only the noobie players that use teh word noob, you will find the realy good players one tahts been around for longer will still lose it correctly, i think peopel in genral are pretty stupid, myslef included, so maybe it will cahneg in to anotehr bad word to satife a few idiots.

Ive made my point, for that last few pages ive basly just been reaprting myslef and oits getting boaring, so i probly wont be posting unless a new good point is made, or i get very board

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I hope your not being sarcastic thanks...:eusa_eh:

Actually no I wasn't. :@

GommeInc
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Sounded like that but noob mena snewbie full stop.

P@ND@
05-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I stopped reading because you already are rong at the defining.
n00b/noob/naab/n44b/noop/nooby/noopy/Snoob/Sn00b/Newb/...
Are all the perfect same definition.
Totally not knowing where you are or what you're doing!
Or now what to do..

Mr.Kylee
05-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Omg..I KNOW THAT NOOB AND NEWB IS THE SAME THING! Ok?
but people make it sound like it's something bad get it?
wo -gasp-

-Soro-
05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
They do have similar meanings aye, but when they were first used they were used in different meanings as explained in the first post...

But they aren't really real words, so ofcourse everyone is bound to have different opinions on what they are...

This is pointless anyway, hardly anyone uses newbie or newb anymore. :D

Pulchritudinous
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Lol kyle I bet you wish you never made it...:p

GommeInc
06-01-2005, 07:54 PM
It isnt bad, when people say stuff to me i say you were one once and yo're the noob, you dont know what it means.

-Soro-
06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Everyone was a Newbie once, but n00b is actually different, which is why n00b is offensive and Newbie is just someone doing something new, that's why this forum even has a rank called Newbie. Newb is just Newbie abreviated.

N00b, however, is an insult.

That's the difference and plenty of definitions on the net will tell you...

Mentor
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Serioly n00b is an abbrivition of newbie. its more form the old l33t stuff, newb newbie and noob are the same word. noobs prencounced n(sound) oooo (ooo sound) b (beee sound)

if this is to complext for you to grasp i give up.

Mr.Kylee
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Lol kyle I bet you wish you never made it...:p
LOOL, yep..and Mentor omg.. we all know that noob and newb is the same? OK? you don't need to tell it over and over again..it's THE WAY people use it....I'm not new on habbo? I've been on for like 2 years or more and I still get called noob so...and topic will be closed soon.. :) making my head in hehe..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!