PDA

View Full Version : Video game violence

G-flow
30-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Do you think that Violence in Video Games leads to some children being violent in real life? Should we ban games like gta? Tell me your views

-Soro-
30-12-2004, 08:19 PM
It's something some parents believe.

My opinion is that if kids are so easily influenced by them to follow in their favourite game's footsteps, then they need to mature and grow up until they aren't. At a young age kids shouldn't be playing GTA, the certificate is there for a reason - GTA is banned in austrailia I have heard... (Arcanum is this true?) But I think parents and children should follow the certificates more, if it says recommended age of 18, then so be it.

G-flow
30-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah i agree with you all the way coldshot!

zainx
30-12-2004, 08:35 PM
yeh ur agreeing that you should be 18 to play it but then i bet hardly any 1 on this forum would have played the game

G-flow
30-12-2004, 08:54 PM
well , i dont like the idea of kids playing it but if ur old enough to understand then u could play it.

Concentric
30-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I think it is up to the parents. In my opinion the age restriction should be a guide for the parents that the game may be inappropriate, and they should therefore monitor their child and the game and moderate it if they feel it necessary. What i would do is expand on the warning label more, on films and things you get some boxes saying whether it contains violence or strong language and so on, and this would help the parents to understand why it was given that age limit. Some parents may not mind their child being exposed to swearing but would prefer for them not to be subject to violence. If they saw that the game was 18 they would not know what the reason for this was, but if the label was more specific they woul see that it contained swearing but no violence, and then they would let the child have it.
It is impossible to stop everyone below 18 playing on the game, even if an over 18 buys the game it could still be played by an under 18.

Pfft i hope you understood that :rolleyes:

:kader
31-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Couple of weeks ago, a boy of about 14 was playng Manhunt. (18) It involved running away from psychotic villains carrying weapons. It was branded the most violent and gory game ever made. But one day this boy actually killed his friend, using a weapon which was featured in the game. After this event Manhunt came off the shelves forever, this boy liked the game so much he went crazy. Weird eh?

Lincoln Imp!
31-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Couple of weeks ago, a boy of about 14 was playng Manhunt. (18) It involved running away from psychotic villains carrying weapons. It was branded the most violent and gory game ever made. But one day this boy actually killed his friend, using a weapon which was featured in the game. After this event Manhunt came off the shelves forever, this boy liked the game so much he went crazy. Weird eh?

Wow, thats true? That's terrible :o :eusa_snoo

Concentric
31-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Yes i don't think that Manhunt should ever have been allowed to go on sale, but i don't think we can base this discussion around it as it was a huge exception - most games are not as violent by far.

G-flow
31-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Ok , gta is a pretty gory game with all the weapons n blood and stuff but manhunt , well that game was just kinda sick. one of the worst games made by rockstar. I'm glad its banned , its disgusting. i played it for 5 minutes lol!

-Soro-
31-12-2004, 12:49 PM
The wannabe gangster stuff bores me, and I wouldn't be influenced by it.

It's one of the few games where there is absolutely no aspect of good or positive things about life. Lol.

Besides, Halflife2 is 100 x better than GTA will ever be.

G-flow
31-12-2004, 12:53 PM
hmm i've never played half life . i'v heard its just about giant bugs and u have to kill them . 1 person view shoot em up. how original

L!TE
31-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I totally agree that some games like GTA relate to others being violent in real life. I also note that the certificate of the games which contain violence are 18 yrs old. This does not allow children to buy these games but does not stop anyone from playing them.
I do not think that these type of games shall be banned unless they contain too much violence like that PS2 game which got banned.
Unfortunatly I cannot remember the game but it lead one lad to kill another using the way they did in the Game.

This topic has two different ways of looking at it.

Thanks Alot.
L!TE

zainx
31-12-2004, 06:05 PM
i got manhunt not long ago and i dont no y that game made that lad kill that other lad cus to me its just a normal game.

Jasmin
31-12-2004, 06:17 PM
arrgh wot is the matter with games like that if kids/parents are stupid enough 2 buy them tough luck
they are just fun good games.
l33tpunk here:
The wannabe gangster stuff bores me, and I wouldn't be influenced by it.

It's one of the few games where there is absolutely no aspect of good or positive things about life. Lol.

Besides, Halflife2 is 100 x better than GTA will ever be.
yeh rite but halo 2 is the best game ever then gta

Mentor
31-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Anyone who tryes to ban vidio games becue they cause vilnce needs good wack
Think back, all those hundereds of wars, fights, and battles, all a long time before vido games, the actaly truth is people are more likly to be Vilent, without the vido games, there entertainmnt, there not real, without them people wount know this and the sort of thinsg in tehma re more likly to become real, and were real, as thats where the vidos games get there ideas from, vilnce infulnces vido games, rather than the other way around, if u dont like them or are offened by, then why are you pla=ying them to start with no ones forcing u?

(ps, maybe this should be in the deabts/ disccusin forum :/ )

Ciaran
31-12-2004, 07:57 PM
If a child gets affected by it then thats why its an 18 because 99% of 18 year olds have experianced most game voilence like fighting and swearing so its the parents fault then

-Soro-
31-12-2004, 08:29 PM
hmm i've never played half life .

There, you said it... You realise it won 'Innovation of the year' award officially?

how original

Err yes, an Innovation IS origninal.

Play they game man, then judge it.. There's a whole HL2 community out there, grown bigger in 2 months than GTA ever will, it's a brilliant game and I recommend it.

then why are you pla=ying them to start with no ones forcing u?

That, my friend, is the right question... :)

yeh rite but halo 2 is the best game ever then gta

Yes, Halo 2 is better than GTA no doubt - but whether it's better than HL2 or not is your opinion, Halo 2 is a brilliant game.

G-flow
01-01-2005, 03:13 AM
no but there are so many 1 person view shoot em ups. i watched my mate play half life 1 . It didnt look very interesting. however , if i get the chance to play it i will.

-=rooty987=-
01-01-2005, 01:56 PM
It shouldnt be banned just some people are stupid 'eliot gibson' cough cough and bring a knife in to school to stab me, but still it shudnt be banned cos i lyk them games, what do they expect us to play power puff girls!

BTW the part about someone bringing a knife into school to stab me is a true story so dont diss, i thought it was funny hehe

P.S BattleField Vietnam is really good go and buy it it wont dissapoint you, Internet play is the best! Its fun cos u fly planes and helicpoters and ride scooters, basically its a war game! I HATE WAR GAMES but this one won me over!

G-flow
01-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Ummm i wouldnt really class Someone trying to stab you funny. if it is indeed true

-=rooty987=-
01-01-2005, 03:09 PM
It is true he was following me everywhere so i told him didnt wanna be his mate and thats hwy he did it! Honest! I wudnt lie about it! But it was a bad move cos i now i can hurt him for the rest of his life and have a reason!

Mentor
01-01-2005, 03:24 PM
As a question, how exscatly do people say mangae to blame, someone coming in with a nife, on vilent vidio games? is it becus ethey cant accpet responoblty. Games are given age ratings so vilnt games are only seen by people deemed oldenogh top understnd it isnt real, athogh in realty most people over the age of 4 shoudl know this. There fun, there entertinmnt, there not thert to try and breed crimnlas. Crime and vilnce didnt start with vidio games, so hwo can that be balmed.

ps. I just compleated HL2 it put every other game ive ever played to shame. :D

-Soro-
01-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I just compleated HL2 it put every other game ive ever played to shame. :D

Amen, Mentor my friend... Amen. :p

@K
08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
NO NO NO NO! Remember that kid who killed his mate after playing ManHunt, he must have been sick in the head, never does a video game do anything to harm someone's health.

davy880
08-01-2005, 08:33 PM
u must be kidding games like GTA will proberly around for years to come, the games designers make too much money to give them up now, anyway if i say soo myself they r really addicted :eusa_ange

G-flow
22-01-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah i do like games like gta i have to admit, its just not good if people go out and hurt people or themselves

-Soro-
22-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Normally if people are influenced by games, they don't have very strong willpower, so there's something wrong with them, rather than there being something wrong with the game... :D

G-flow
22-01-2005, 05:11 PM
yeah thats true

.:Watters91:.
24-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Firstly, GtA isnt banned in Australia coz i myself own all three that are on ps2, (gta3, gta vice city, gta san andreas) and i think games like that are awesome, im ont really into the whole half life 2 thing :/. Games can encourage violence which is why they have ratings on all games! Same with movies! But if the child/teenager is mature enough, (decided by the parents) then the child/teenager should be a ble to to get the game!!!!

NeonPunx
24-01-2005, 02:42 PM
my mom allows me to play it btu she doesnt allow my little brother who is only 6 play or watch it just like he cant watch adult swim. but i think it is because some kdis turn out like that but kids with common sense knows that its not right my brother will tell if you say stupid btu i sitll dont let him play he can watch and thats all he can do until hes older

BlackGarden
25-01-2005, 04:49 PM
It depends entirely upon the context of the violence. In, say, Doom, the violence is so unrealistic and exaggerated that children are capable of distinguishing it from "real" violence, so it has far less effect on them. There's a game that I forget the name of in which you are a serial killer and you use a variety of very real objects as weapons to kill people. In that context, the violence is far more realistic and could influence children.

What has far more influence on children is real violence. If a child sees something on the news about a horrific murder, then it is likely that it will affect them.

In short, children are far more media-literate than most researchers assume. The grounds for the current UK film and computer game certificates comes from a piece of sociological research by Bandura, Ross, and Ross (bobo doll - look it up on Google). Many people question this experiment as it made some very patronising assumptions about a child's media awareness.

See, I did revise for my AS Sociology retake...

Butcher11
25-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Here in US you ahve to be 17 or older to buy it, so I assume it's made for 17 or older to play it. GTA is so realistic with it's graphics that you don't know whether it's a game or like real life. Parents are to blame for letting there children play the games.

BlackGarden
26-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Here in US you ahve to be 17 or older to buy it, so I assume it's made for 17 or older to play it. GTA is so realistic with it's graphics that you don't know whether it's a game or like real life. Parents are to blame for letting there children play the games.
Also, a lot of the time in the UK people fail to check whether someone is old enough to buy a game. There was some research shown on TV recently where three 13-year-olds, clearly under 18, bought Vice City at several different stores. Only a few turned them down.

-Soro-
26-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Firstly, GtA isnt banned in Australia coz i myself own all three that are on ps2, (gta3, gta vice city, gta san andreas) and i think games like that are awesome, im ont really into the whole half life 2 thing :/. Games can encourage violence which is why they have ratings on all games! Same with movies! But if the child/teenager is mature enough, (decided by the parents) then the child/teenager should be a ble to to get the game!!!!

Ok but I heard it was in a magazine, obviously it was wrong.

Remember guys that if some kids get influenced and some don't... Who's fault is that? The reason why it's certificate 18 is because 18 year olds do not (in most cases) get influenced by this, because they are adults. If you're 13 and have the game, and accuse the game of influencing 13 year olds to be violent - it's the game store's fault for selling it to them, and it's the parent's fault for letting the kid buy it, in no case whatsoever is the kid the innocent victim. The kid wants to the game, the kid gets the game.

ramjet
26-01-2005, 05:25 PM
i heard that the boy was actually 17 and nearly 18 so i agree that game shud be taken off the shelves my m8 has it and i dont like it one bit. gta is kool tho and i fail to see how sum1 wud turn violent from playing it. personally tho i prefer the old overhead less gory ones as they were more challenging.

sum1 being so influenced to kill a frend because of a game tho is just sick :eusa_sick

G-flow
26-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts guys! its great to hear about what you all think :p, keep the comments comin' in :D

Tom.Harrop
26-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Shut up you pareny-like child. I lurrrrrrrrrrrve gta!!!

G-flow
26-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Who tom? Who is a " pareny-like child"

martin.wood
26-01-2005, 09:25 PM

not true u can still buy manhunt the shop game took it off there shelvs for 1 mounth a mark of respect only some shops stoped selling it

Dave,
01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Do be honest I don't think it leads to any physocoligical damge. There is violance in films. Videogames are being used for the blame. There is also no proof, just people being really daft and spoling it for the rest of us. And these mums who start protesting to ban it are just going over the top, I would have to move out if my mum ever did anythign like that.

Xaction
02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Video Games.......

Alot Of The Time It's not The Video Game

Most Parents Bring Kids Up Worng And Blame The First Bad Thing They See

In That Case When They Guys Dressed Up At Guys From A Game A Went Looking For Ppl

You Can Blame The Video Games, Or You Can Say They Are Just Nutters

lil:quizical:quigly
02-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I dont think it does, I play those games all the time, and im not even close to violent. I think its just cus of the columbine incident that people are believing that.

G-flow
09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
yeah , people believed MArilyn Manson was the person who inflicted the kids at columbine to do that..i dont though,

ramjet
09-02-2005, 05:05 PM
yeah , people believed MArilyn Manson was the person who inflicted the kids at columbine to do that..i dont though,
have u seen bowling for columbine by michael moore? that explains and prooves it wasnt him

Jane
10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't think video game violence influences the majority of people. I mean I played on aged 18 games when i was younger and they didn't effect me. I mean I played GTA and I didn't go round killing people, although I do think manhunt was a particularly sick game, it disturbed me.

G-flow
11-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah I agree, I can Handle Gta But Manhunts a Bit OTT!

Masterman12
11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I think if kids get so easily influenced by games then they should grow up. I mean its just a game and if its very violent then their parents should look at it 1st if they are under 18.

Dave,
11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Video games don't even look realistic so I odn't know how people can even say they are sick.

Seacat
11-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Do you think that Violence in Video Games leads to some children being violent in real life? Should we ban games like gta? Tell me your views
No I don't think games like GTA should be banned. They are only allowed to be sold to people 18+ so its the parents fault if anyone below 18 gets their hands on them :p

poloolop
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
i love manhunt :) mwa ha ha but ive not killed any1!!! yet...... lol

CoolMichael22
20-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I think that all this nonsense about video games affecting people is stupid cause if they actually believe the video games then they are abseolute ******s

BURN3LL
20-02-2005, 10:25 PM
MANHUNT IS A SICK GAME its well a bad game

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!