PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 favorite vocalists

RedStratocas
14-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Im not sure if this thread has been made, but I thought it would be interesting. Self explanitory title. Ill count backwards...

10. Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day): Even though I dont like their new stuff, the songs about nothing that Green Day used to sing will forever be in my head. He came up with the crazy idea of singing about depression in an up-beat way. If you read the lyrics before you heard the song, you would never guess that the tunes would be catchy.

9. Chris Martin (Coldplay): His voice is great, and his lyrics are even better. One of the very few vocalists today that can sing and still speak clearly without the listener looking up lyrics. Even though the song Clocks is obviously about clocks, time is almost always a theme in their songs.

8. Gavin Rossdale (Bush, Institute): Although he is often critisized for copying Nirvana, his lyrics seem sometimes even crazier. Not to mention his voice is incredibly always in tune with the music

7. Zack De La Rocha (Rage Against The Machine): Everyone knows how political RATM is, and Zack is the voice that delivers it. Many bands can scream and yell all they want, but none of them will ever match up to the anger about political issues that you can hear in Zack's voice.

6. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Audioslave): Obviously one of the greatest vocalists ever, and still able to keep it up after 20 years. Not many songs can match up to the vocals, tone and style he had in "Black Hole Sun".
5. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana): Obviously one of the most over rated bands of all time, but it doesnt take away his ability to write. He spoke for a generation of youth, depressing, yet sometimes cheerful like in "About A Girl"

4. Thom York (Radiohead): Creep seemed to be a tribute to Kurt Cobain, but after their first album, they turned into their own style, one which was driven by Thom's voice. My Iron Lung, Planet Telex and Karma Police are just a few of the songs that really bring out what he thinks.

3. Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse): Many of you probably didnt know who this, but to me, even though his voice may sound strange and almost drunk at times, the lyrics at times can get you thinking, or bring out the genious of play on words. Such as "I dont feel and it feels great" or "You wasted life, why wouldnt you waste the afterlife?"

2. Anthoney Kedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers): How can there be a list without him? His funky lyrics and voice which has gotten better and better over the years combine. Not to mention the energy when he sings has been and always will be there.

1. David Grohl (Nirvana [Back Up], Foo Fighters): Its almost a good thing about what happened to Nirvana (almost). Without Grohl's departure, the Foo Fighters may never have been made, or at least become as good. Even though his style has changed since Nirvana, he has stayed true to his grunge roots with songs like "Wind Up", "Stacked Actors" and "Free Me". He makes screaming catchy. Not to mention making classics such as "Hey, Johnny Park" and "Everlong".

Kyzy
14-04-2006, 09:54 PM
1. Jim Morrison (The Doors)
2. Axl Rose (G'n'r)
3. Robert Plant (Led Zepp)
4. Scott Weiland ( STP & Velvet revolver)
5. Neil Young (CST&Y)
6. Anthony Kiedis (RHCP)
7. Roger Daltrey (The Who)
8. Eddie Vedder (pear jam)
9. Kurt C (Nirvana)
10. Julian Casablancas (the strokes)

I came up with those after a while...

Chaz
14-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Everything strat said...

...couldn't put it any better ;]

SHEEPY
14-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm glad Chris is in there. Absolute genius.

kasi
14-04-2006, 10:22 PM
shane todd (silverstein)
sonny moore (from first to last)
matt good (from first to last)
dallas green (city and colour / alexisonfire)
tom delonge (blink 182 / box car racer / angels and airwaves)
billie joe armstrong (greenday)
patrick stump (fallout boy)
connor oberst (bright eyes)
spencer chamberlain (underoath)
and um the lead singer of thursday.

RedStratocas
14-04-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm glad Chris is in there. Absolute genius.

Haha, which chris?

kasi
14-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Haha, which chris?
bet you anything its from coldplay :P

[i've noticed sheepy's obsession with them]

SHEEPY
14-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah. Should of said full name.

Revis
15-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm glad you mentioned Dave Grohl because at time's his voice can be as strong and meaningfull as Kurt's. That's why I've always wanted to hear the Foo's cover nirvana.

I'd like to add Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, James Hetfield of Metallica and Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age.

RedStratocas
15-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm glad you mentioned Dave Grohl because at time's his voice can be as strong and meaningfull as Kurt's. That's why I've always wanted to hear the Foo's cover nirvana.

I'd like to add Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, James Hetfield of Metallica and Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age.

I used to idolize Jim Adkins as a matter of fact. Favorite band back in 2001, Get It Faster is still one of my favorite songs ever. I just dont see him as a GREAT vocalist. Joshua Homme almost made the list, he probably would have been 11th, but I think the people I put are ahead.

Revis
15-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I used to idolize Jim Adkins as a matter of fact. Favorite band back in 2001, Get It Faster is still one of my favorite songs ever. I just dont see him as a GREAT vocalist. Joshua Homme almost made the list, he probably would have been 11th, but I think the people I put are ahead.
Yeah, my girlfriend bought my the Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World album and the way they can vary between songs like Salt, Sweat, Sugar to The Middle and then to My Sundown is pretty awesome. The Middle is one of like 10 songs which can make me realise that whatever problem i'm having will change and get better.

RedStratocas
15-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, my girlfriend bought my the Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World album and the way they can vary between songs like Salt, Sweat, Sugar to The Middle and then to My Sundown is pretty awesome. The Middle is one of like 10 songs which can make me realise that whatever problem i'm having will change and get better.

Yeah, I got the version before 9/11 when the title was still Bleed American and Salt Sweat Sugar was called Bleed American. (Changed for obvious reasons). Its one of my favorite albums ever. Thats the album that truely got me into rock. Futures was a disappointment though.

Whadaya know? The Middle just came on from shuffling my playlist:rolleyes:

Revis
15-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I got the version before 9/11 when the title was still Bleed American and Salt Sweat Sugar was called Bleed American. (Changed for obvious reasons). Its one of my favorite albums ever. Thats the album that truely got me into rock. Futures was a disappointment though.

Whadaya know? The Middle just came on from shuffling my playlist:rolleyes:
I still like Work from Futures but I haven't really heard much of the album.

I've been listening to Garage Inc. by Metallica and that's a good example of how they can vary from heavy to lighter stuff, it's actually quite scary.

RedStratocas
15-04-2006, 01:20 AM
I still like Work from Futures but I haven't really heard much of the album.

I've been listening to Garage Inc. by Metallica and that's a good example of how they can vary from heavy to lighter stuff, it's actually quite scary.

I only liked Work and Nothingwrong. Pain was aweful.

Revis
15-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Right, I'm gonna grab a few songs from Futures and then turn in, tis nearlly 2:30... Blerh, whatever.

RedStratocas
15-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Right, I'm gonna grab a few songs from Futures and then turn in, tis nearlly 2:30... Blerh, whatever.

I liked Pain at first, but then I actually payed attention to the lyrics...

mynameishelen!
15-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Sonny Moore (from first to last)
Tom Delonge (blink 182 / box car racer)
Patrick Stump (fallout boy)
Spencer Chamberlain (underoath)
Brian Molko (i think thats his name) (Placebo)
Tom delonge (blink 182 / box car racer)
Jim adkins (Jimmy Eat World)
Lead singer of InMe
Lead singer of Linkin Park
Bert McCracken (the Used)
Shane Todd (silverstein)

Cba looking up the two i dont know the names of :p

Revis
15-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Sonny Moore (from first to last)
Tom Delonge (blink 182 / box car racer)
Patrick Stump (fallout boy)
Spencer Chamberlain (underoath)
Brian Molko (i think thats his name) (Placebo)
Tom delonge (blink 182 / box car racer)
Jim adkins (Jimmy Eat World)
Lead singer of InMe
Lead singer of Linkin Park
Bert McCracken (the Used)
Shane Todd (silverstein)

Linkin Park is Chester something.
You have Tom Delonge twice though...

Craig
15-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Off the top of my head I'd definately hate to say Chester Bennington and Corey Taylor. I'll think up my top 10 later.

And Lee I was looking through some of my Metallica and I see what you mean~Tuesdays Gone is a great example.

Jim Rotates
15-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm gonna have to think about this one. And just to let everyone know Gwen will NOT be #1 :P

Revis
16-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Off the top of my head I'd definately hate to say Chester Bennington and Corey Taylor. I'll think up my top 10 later.

And Lee I was looking through some of my Metallica and I see what you mean~Tuesdays Gone is a great example.
From what i've heard, the whole album is a great album. I don't usually listen to metallica but I might go and buy it...

RedStratocas
16-04-2006, 11:56 PM
The Jimmy Eat World album Disentegration that came out last year (5 songs, kinda a "songs that didnt make it to our albums" album) had one good song. It was 7 minutes, and a bit slow but it picked up.

Revis
17-04-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm kinder addicted to 'Pain' by JEW now...

RedStratocas
17-04-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm kinder addicted to 'Pain' by JEW now...

I liked it at first, but then I looked at the lyrics and saw how stupid they were.

Revis
17-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Unfortuately I can kinder relate to some of them... *shrug*

RedStratocas
17-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Unfortuately I can kinder relate to some of them... *shrug*

Usually lyrics dont bother me as long as the tune is good, but I could never understand what its supposed to be about...

Jordan3
18-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Zack De La Rocha (Rage Against The Machine)
Sonny Moore (From First To Last)
Bert McCracken (The Used)
Tom DeLonge (Blink-182 & Box Car Racer & Angels and Airwaves)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Marshall Mathers (Eminem)
Andrew Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Serj Takien (System Of A Down)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Finchie
20-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Basically all that Stratocas said but in the bunch I'd have to add Kurt Cobain and Bert McKraken (Spelling Error?)

Cubeh
20-04-2006, 09:19 AM
1. Corey Taylor (Slipknot)
2. Billy Joe (Green day)
3. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
4. Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
5. Tom Delonge' (Blink 182 etc)
6. Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold)
7. Amy Lee (Evanesence)
8. Keith Flint ( The Prodigy)
9. Jonathan Davis (KoRn)
10. 2D aka Damon Alburn (Gorillaz)

Jordan3
20-04-2006, 04:28 PM
1. Corey Taylor (Slipknot)
2. Billy Joe (Green day)
3. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
4. Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
5. Tom Delonge' (Blink 182 etc)
6. Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold)
7. Amy Lee (Evanesence)
8. Keith Flint ( The Prodigy)
9. Jonathan Davis (KoRn)
10. 2D aka Damon Alburn (Gorillaz)

Corey doesn't even sing.

Finchie
21-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Corey doesn't even sing.
Some songs he does and when he does sing instead of scream he has a realy nice voice. Listen to Vermillion Part 2 for example it the acoustic version of Vermillion.

Jordan3
21-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Meh, he's okay in Vermillion, but he's hardly one of the ten best vocalists ever.

Cubeh
21-04-2006, 04:36 PM
He is in my eyes.

Ezzie.
21-04-2006, 05:36 PM
The greatest vocalist all together (not in rock) Is defenitelyEva Cassidy, have you heard her voice it's like an angels (not that i've seen one recently :p) But it just brings a little tear to my eye everytime i hear some of the songs

kooldude23
21-04-2006, 07:56 PM
10 - Chad Kroeger (NickelBack)
9 - Bert McCracken (The Used)
8 - Matt Davies (FFAF)
7 - Brandon Urie
6 - Patrick Stump (Fall out boy)
5 - Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio)
4 - Dave grohl (Nirvana/Foo fighters)
3 - David McPherson (InMe)
2 - Daron Malakian (System Of A Down)
1 - Daveit Ferris (The Mascaray story/Rescure the astronauts/Daveit Ferris project)

Lead singer of InMe

And you call yourself a fan ?:P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!