PDA

View Full Version : Are you a computer nerd?

Sabu
18-04-2006, 05:58 PM
I decided to create this thread out of complete boredom.

Are you a computer nerd?

I am :) And Im proud to be one :D

Many people think of me a weirdo, as Im obsessed with my laptop, the internet, games, game consoles and anything as such.

If they decide to start calling me a geek or something, I just say to them
"So what?" or "I know I am, whats wrong with it?"

All my friends respect me when I tell them,even though there not intomy kind of stuff, wrestling, computers etc.

Edit: - If you are not and decide to post here, please respect them and dont take the mick!

Well, I spoke out loud, hopefully you will to :P

blaster.
18-04-2006, 05:59 PM
-Looks at the label in my thong-
No

ilovejordan
18-04-2006, 05:59 PM
lol no i only go on it cos i'm bored.

Rawr
18-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I thought you needed to know like proper internet stuff to be a nerd?

Wootzeh
18-04-2006, 06:02 PM
You must have a boring life :rolleyes:

NekkLe
18-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't call myself a computor nerd, i mostly play cs: source on it, listen to music, chat to freinds etc.. nope, i'm not a nerd :)

Biseinen
18-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't class my self as a geek or a nerd... But I'm on the verge... But I'm oh so cool.

issaa.
18-04-2006, 06:05 PM
i don't know anything about computers. so i dont think so.

Sabu
18-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I thought you needed to know like proper internet stuff to be a nerd?

I know quite a lot of stuff, but I consider myself c' nerd. I can acceptr if others dont, though :)

Mentor
18-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Althogh i suspect many people probaly do lable me as a bit of a computer geek, i dont realy belive in labeling myself, since all that is is a attemt to fill a certain predefined roll due to haveing to weaker will to suatain one of your own makeing "/ I act, and think like Me. not like a steriotype "/

Chaz
18-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Labeling yourself is degrading

Sabu
18-04-2006, 06:22 PM
So your calling computer nerds steriotypes?

Mentor
18-04-2006, 06:24 PM
So your calling computer nerds steriotypes?
What else do you think it is? the conspet of "computer nerd" is a steriotype, just like goths chavs and the rest of them... there sterio types, there not ****ing breeds of humasn 0.o

Jordan3
18-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't know loads about the insides of computers and stuff, all I need to know is how to install and play a game, how to charge my 'Pod, how to use the net, and how to use iTunes to play music. I manage all them tasks well I guess..

crash
18-04-2006, 06:54 PM
no sorry i only know 1 thing and thats to defragment your pc to compact files.

GJay
18-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm a nerd...and proud :P

Sabu
18-04-2006, 07:33 PM
What else do you think it is? the conspet of "computer nerd" is a steriotype, just like goths chavs and the rest of them... there sterio types, there not ****ing breeds of humasn 0.o

As we all have our own opinions, Im forced to respect yours. But we are a breed of human. A computer nerd, goth and chav come from humans, dont they? Goth is promoted by peoples interests, like punk rock, the colour black etc.

Do you even know what a Chav is? It originated from a greek word, though I dunno its meaning. Again, this is promoted by peoples interests. And I believe they come from humans, do they not?

Computer nerds, once again, promoted by peoples interests, like internet, html coding, expert website designing and know computer parts inside out.

Anyone can consider themselves a punk, chav, computer nerd, goth etc.

:-Mystical.Dave-
18-04-2006, 07:37 PM
On the Computer like all the time? Yes.
Know how to take apart computers and install physical parts of a computer? No.
Can fix things on the computer? Yes.

Hope it helped ;)

Adam$
18-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Not really. I know basic stuff about a computer, how to work it etc, but I don't let it dominate my life.

heartQUIVER
18-04-2006, 08:06 PM
no sorry i only know 1 thing and thats to defragment your pc to compact files.

Um haha you told me that er i was like, wth whats that.

errr.. I wouldn't classifly my self as `nerd` on computers but i er outwit everyone in ITC/IT group - (MUAHA) i know alot. I guess, i can design layouts (i hate ps)..

Um, yeh im good wid computers my uncle bought a computer & i had to do EVERYTHING for him. Install everything, set it up (PLUGS ETC) and all that moosified boredums.

Motherboards aka sam, aka techie ;o. Is good at computers if you didn't know he did:

Design a website at 8 years old.
Code a website at 10
Built a computer at 12He also helped habbo with the ss patching last year. Hes not lieing - as far as i know. He has his site xkdesigns.com (think thats it) and dupion/ilu/crash has seen some pics of the comps hes made.

He made a monitor which was the size of like, a plasma MASSIVE tv, and then he has a screen with like 17 screens (!!)

NekkLe
18-04-2006, 08:15 PM
As we all have our own opinions, Im forced to respect yours. But we are a breed of human. A computer nerd, goth and chav come from humans, dont they? Goth is promoted by peoples interests, like punk rock, the colour black etc.

Do you even know what a Chav is? It originated from a greek word, though I dunno its meaning. Again, this is promoted by peoples interests. And I believe they come from humans, do they not?

Computer nerds, once again, promoted by peoples interests, like internet, html coding, expert website designing and know computer parts inside out.

Your missing the point I think? although the phrase is 'created' by humans, its a social group, its not a race of human nor do you become one, you either label yourself as one or get named one, simple really. Again on the social group thing, you may be apart of a social group because you and others feel comfortable discussing and expressing in the same way, thats how groups are formed.

Colourfulâ„¢
18-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Not really, even though I go on quite a lot. Basically I either go on the computer to talk to you guys or play football. :P

deltateamaplha
18-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I decided to create this thread out of complete boredom.

Are you a computer nerd?

I am :) And Im proud to be one :D

Many people think of me a weirdo, as Im obsessed with my laptop, the internet, games, game consoles and anything as such.

If they decide to start calling me a geek or something, I just say to them
"So what?" or "I know I am, whats wrong with it?"

All my friends respect me when I tell them,even though there not intomy kind of stuff, wrestling, computers etc.

Edit: - If you are not and decide to post here, please respect them and dont take the mick!

Well, I spoke out loud, hopefully you will to :P

Have you got like no social life? some advice... open your window and get some sunlight and fresh air *Throws paper*

Mentor
18-04-2006, 08:34 PM

Do you actaly understand what a breed is, a breed is a subsect of a specices devided by a notable genetic diffence, humans are all to close genticaly to serpate in to anything that could realy be considered a breed "/
We have monkeys, take a guess how many specises there are.
We have humans, we are one specaices not a grouping

No its not, althogh its true routes remain debatable, what your probaly refering to is the collins dictonarys opinoion on which it belives its dervived from the Anglo-Romany word chavi.
There are plenty of other ideas to, most being the derviatives of the slang term, althogh its origanl coining is non tracable.

and yes, that would still make it a sterio type. A steriotyopical human, to which people whom shair the ideolgy of the steriotype will follow.

So you therfor lable me as a "computer geek" i do not place that label upon myself, i do not follow the steriotype. I lack the glasses for one.
All the socal group names are simply sterio types, its what there are, its the very essents of the word.

And just to check, since you classife yourself as one, do you have the sligest idea of how your pc works? can you program an application? contrsuct a pc, understand the tcp/ip protacols that govern the interenet?

If not, by what measure do you fill the sterio type, even under your own deffintion "/

Yes, they can follow the trates of a steriotype...

feel free to exspand your mind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype
After all its part of the geek steriotype.

also, please dont over use the BB code, its pointless, theres no marks for presentation here, id rather you just made your points "/

--ss--
18-04-2006, 08:35 PM
I dont think i am :s

HUGECOOL
18-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I have an obsession with electronics, computers being my specialty, so I can be (poorly) described as a computer geek in our narrowminded, ignorant society. x]

Having an obsession with computers does not necessarily mean having no social life, Meyaz. To some, the meaning of social life varies between people and can be described differently. Although it isn't direct communication, a forum provides people with a sense of community where they can socialize, like you and I are doing. Like society, the Internet posseses good qualities as well as its down sides. Your idea of social life may mean having people around you all the time and being with people physically while you disregard communicating with people over the Internet as being social.

Sabu
18-04-2006, 08:58 PM
also, please dont over use the BB code, its pointless, theres no marks for presentation here, id rather you just made your points "/

No. Forgive me, but I have started to take interest in this font, and yes, I know there are no marks for presentation.

And, to I have the right to classify myself as a computer nerd, weather I wear glasses or not. No, I dont know how to construct a computer yet, as I barely give this a fought. If your so curious, I will just write out a list of why I think I am a computer nerd :

I have little knowledge of http coding
What I use the internet for, I know inside out
I can help my friends when they need something considering computers. Setting up a new computer, advanced installing, spyware, downloading and importing files etc.

I know there not alot, but thats what makes me consider my self a computer nerd.

Meyaz, I do have a social life. I have great mates, a beautiful girlfriend, a sister-in-law to be, 2 and a half year old niece and a small gang of punks, which we label ourselves. I do get fresh air. I bounce about on my friends trampoline, play runouts in the dark, go to the park after school and go to the town with my girlfriend/mates.

Infrontation
18-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Hmm.. I would believe you if you didn't have 7k posts <3 Anyways, I probably am.. I typer fast, can touch type, and know computer stuff. I am more of Xbox 360 gamer though please.

Magnet
18-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I lack the glasses for one.

What do you mean by that? Are you basically saying people with glasses become 'computer nerds'?

And I'm not a computer nerd, no, I go on the comptuer when their is nothing else to do, I only go on for HxF, MSN, music, pixel art sometimes, making my game when bored, but I don't go on all the time, I used to.

I go out alot, play football, go out with mates, go to school basically, do the usual stuff.

MsTanya
18-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Naww [:

Infrontation
18-04-2006, 10:34 PM
What do you mean by that? Are you basically saying people with glasses become 'computer nerds'?
And I'm not a computer nerd, no, I go on the comptuer when their is nothing else to do, I only go on for HxF, MSN, music, pixel art sometimes, making my game when bored, but I don't go on all the time, I used to.

I go out alot, play football, go out with mates, go to school basically, do the usual stuff.

Probably not. If you are on the computer too much generally the looking at the screen messes with your eyes after a while. This means they get glasses and that is why a lot of computer nerds have glasses. That is where the computer nerd look comes from really.

Kasabian
18-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I know the in's and out's of a computer, I can reformat etc.

Not exactly a nerd as i don't spend 24/7 on it.

Infrontation
18-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I know the in's and out's of a computer, I can reformat etc.

Not exactly a nerd as i don't spend 24/7 on it.
Aye Just 20/7 :P

Mentor
19-04-2006, 12:20 AM
becuse somthing has fur, it doesnt make it a cat. There are many trates to fill to add up to a steriotype, or even fit a particalar body*(carteaian use) "/

And, to I have the right to classify myself as a computer nerd, weather I wear glasses or not. No, I dont know how to construct a computer yet, as I barely give this a fought. If your so curious, I will just write out a list of why I think I am a computer nerd :

I have little knowledge of http coding
What I use the internet for, I know inside out
I can help my friends when they need something considering computers. Setting up a new computer, advanced installing, spyware, downloading and importing files etc.

I know there not alot, but thats what makes me consider my self a computer nerd.

Ill refer to my origanal points. People labe themselves becuse there to week willed to maintain an indervidcal presents, insted they conform to a steriotype. Whether there good at it or not is another matter, you label you will try and fit in.

Will other people label you it maybe? maybe not? my granparents could probaly match the computer knolage youve just mentioned, so know i woulnt classife you anywhere near fitting steriotype to make you a computer geek.
Lableing yourself, is just weekness of will, it doesnt actaly class you in to that steriotype, as much as you may try to confrom to it, and Fit in to it.

Probably not. If you are on the computer too much generally the looking at the screen messes with your eyes after a while. This means they get glasses and that is why a lot of computer nerds have glasses. That is where the computer nerd look comes from really.
Im not even sure this justifes a responce... If you watch tv you will get sqaure eyes, the moons made of cheese.
There pretty much the equivlents to what youve said, a high res moniter of decent standing will do your eyes less damage than watching a tv "/

I use a pc in to double figured hours, even on collage days, my vision has remained in perfect condition "/

dannyboymed
19-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Mentor's right in everything... Computers have never affected my eyes and I don't class myself.

I don't think I'm a nerd, although I know one hell of a lot about computers and spend most of my time on them. I'm just trapped indoors.

Encryptions!
19-04-2006, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't class myself as a 'Computer Geek / Nerd' because i'm not one to label myself or others. I have been labelled Computer Geek many times as I use the computer 12 hours + on school nights and 16 hours + on weekends and holidays. I have also been labelled for my knowledge in Computing on the whole which would range from:

Website Design
Website Development
Programming
Flash Design & Actionscript
Application Design
Use of correct grammar and not slang e.g 'i tlk in slang lyk3'
I purchase computer magazines weeklyAnd really many many more but I am far from an expert or a nerd in computing as Carl said I don't have extensive knowledge in TCP/IP Protocols, I lack information to do with OS and Kernals and how to program one. I don't and can't even begin to understand some of the things about the advanced internet based programming and inteligence or even how software enginerring and administration works.

The basis of what you seem to think a 'computer geek' means is spending more than a few hours on Windows Live Messenger doing doodles on Photoshop and writing a bit of HTML clde and I can assure you that you are far from correct. The main basis of people who know the first thing about computers would have to be people whom frequently post in the Computers and Web Design section and also :Jin: who from what I understand has extensive knowledge in Website Development and vBulletin forums etc etc.

A computer geek in my opinion would have to be somebody who knows 100% of all computer based things which are from:

Windows
Macintosh
Linux
Unix
Custom-Built
Computer Componants (Graphics Cards, Motherboards etc)
Website Design & Development
Programming
Software & Hardware Programming & Administration
Animation (2D & 3D, Vector, Pixelated etc)
CGI & Special Effects
Graphics Design
3D Modelling
System Commands
Computer Repair
Server Configuration
Serverside Coding
Client-Side coding
Mathamatics Knowledge
Marketing Plans
SEOThere are thousands and that is just a short preview of what you would have to be knowledged in before you could even succsessfully be able to label yourself as a Computer Geek I mean for example the one person who probably could label himself is Bill Gates but all he did was create Microsoft and Windows and know he gets most of his Engineers and whatnot to do more as well he was a real geek back in College when he built it using stuff I wouldn't understand.

So from long-to-short you seem to be mis-using the concept Computer Geek as there is no point in steriotyping people on a Habbo Fansite which could never begin to be a computer expert, sure they may know a lot but not enough to be deemed an expert. Another example would have to be Science, a great discovery would make the discoverer famous but he wouldn't be an expert in it, the person who researches and studies it would be.

Sorry for writing so much but I tried to shorten it as much as I could. Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Geek

emo...
19-04-2006, 06:56 AM
im not a computer nerd, but i just like going n the computer. :eusa_danc

cocaine
19-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't belive in labels.

Sabu
19-04-2006, 04:13 PM
becuse somthing has fur, it doesnt make it a cat. There are many trates to fill to add up to a steriotype, or even fit a particalar body*(carteaian use) "/

Ill refer to my origanal points. People labe themselves becuse there to week willed to maintain an indervidcal presents, insted they conform to a steriotype. Whether there good at it or not is another matter, you label you will try and fit in.

Will other people label you it maybe? maybe not? my granparents could probaly match the computer knolage youve just mentioned, so know i woulnt classife you anywhere near fitting steriotype to make you a computer geek.
Lableing yourself, is just weekness of will, it doesnt actaly class you in to that steriotype, as much as you may try to confrom to it, and Fit in to it.

Im not even sure this justifes a responce... If you watch tv you will get sqaure eyes, the moons made of cheese.
There pretty much the equivlents to what youve said, a high res moniter of decent standing will do your eyes less damage than watching a tv "/

I use a pc in to double figured hours, even on collage days, my vision has remained in perfect condition "/

I classify myself weather I dont actually class, as a computer nerd. Im not weak willed. I work out 4 times a day, play sports, go to the shops with my friends etc. I also do extremely well in school.
Ive had many fights with my enemies, and weather I win or lose, I always put it behind me.

FrozenWhisper
19-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't belive in labels.
Leave the labels to soup cans <3

Infrontation
19-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't class myself as a 'Computer Geek / Nerd' because i'm not one to label myself or others. I have been labelled Computer Geek many times as I use the computer 12 hours + on school nights and 16 hours + on weekends and holidays. I have also been labelled for my knowledge in Computing on the whole which would range from:

Website Design
Website Development
Programming
Application Design
I purchase computer magazines weeklyAnd really many many more but I am far from an expert or a nerd in computing as Carl said I don't have extensive knowledge in TCP/IP Protocols, I lack information to do with OS and Kernals and how to program one. I don't and can't even begin to understand some of the things about the advanced internet based programming and inteligence or even how software enginerring and administration works.

The basis of what you seem to think a 'computer geek' means is spending more than a few hours on Windows Live Messenger doing doodles on Photoshop and writing a bit of HTML clde and I can assure you that you are far from correct. The main basis of people who know the first thing about computers would have to be people whom frequently post in the Computers and Web Design section and also :Jin: who from what I understand has extensive knowledge in Website Development and vBulletin forums etc etc.

A computer geek in my opinion would have to be somebody who knows 100% of all computer based things which are from:

Windows
Macintosh
Linux
Unix
Custom-Built
Programming
CGI & Special Effects
Graphics Design
3D Modelling
System Commands
Computer Repair
Server Configuration
Serverside Coding
Client-Side coding
Mathamatics Knowledge
Marketing Plans
SEOThere are thousands and that is just a short preview of what you would have to be knowledged in before you could even succsessfully be able to label yourself as a Computer Geek I mean for example the one person who probably could label himself is Bill Gates but all he did was create Microsoft and Windows and know he gets most of his Engineers and whatnot to do more as well he was a real geek back in College when he built it using stuff I wouldn't understand.

So from long-to-short you seem to be mis-using the concept Computer Geek as there is no point in steriotyping people on a Habbo Fansite which could never begin to be a computer expert, sure they may know a lot but not enough to be deemed an expert. Another example would have to be Science, a great discovery would make the discoverer famous but he wouldn't be an expert in it, the person who researches and studies it would be.

Sorry for writing so much but I tried to shorten it as much as I could. Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Geek
How do you manage 12 hours on a school night? ;o

OMGitsaROSS
19-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I kinda am but kinda aint so no :D

Mentor
19-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I classify myself weather I dont actually class, as a computer nerd. Im not weak willed. I work out 4 times a day, play sports, go to the shops with my friends etc. I also do extremely well in school.
Ive had many fights with my enemies, and weather I win or lose, I always put it behind me.

All your doing is thuther proveing your weekness of will, its shown by the fact your trying to disprive the comment by repeateing again again whats compleaty irelavent. You can be a ****ing body builder shash hitman if you want, That has no effect on the strengh of you will, resolve or charicter.
You classifey yousefl as a computer geek for that reason.
Your not classsifed as it by other people, as you are more aless computer illtate and dont even scrape close the the knolage level in computing requred to forfill even the lower end of the steriotype "/

How do you manage 12 hours on a school night? ;o
It envolves cutting in to the time traditionaly used for sleep :)

Sabu
19-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Can a moderator please clode this thread now. Im starting to get annoyed :rolleyes: Thanks x

Mentor
19-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Can a moderator please clode this thread now. Im starting to get annoyed :rolleyes: Thanks x
i though you respected others views no matter what "/

To any who have read this, i rest the case i made on this exsample.

asher_
19-04-2006, 05:55 PM
technology is killing todays generation, go outside and play football.

FrozenWhisper
19-04-2006, 05:56 PM
NEVER!! I most work on my 1337ness

Mentor
19-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Killing? for the most part its keeping em alive "/ plus football sucks

Recursion
19-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Totally Obsessed am Teachers Pet in ICT which im not to proud of... The one lesson when I never get Warnings in my Diary lol (4 Warings In Week = Lunchtime Detention)

I dont think you have to meet loads of Qualities to be Computer Geek. I have been labeled it before. I am good at a good some of those Qualities...

Website Design
Website Development
Programming
Application Design
I purchase computer magazines weekly
And really many many more but I am far from an expert or a nerd in computing as Carl said I don't have extensive knowledge in TCP/IP Protocols, I lack information to do with OS and Kernals and how to program one. I don't and can't even begin to understand some of the things about the advanced internet based programming and inteligence or even how software enginerring and administration works.

Windows
Macintosh
Linux
Unix
Custom-Built
Programming
CGI & Special Effects
Graphics Design
3D Modelling
System Commands
Computer Repair
Server Configuration
Serverside Coding
Client-Side coding
Mathamatics Knowledge
Marketing Plans
SEO
There are thousands and that is just a short preview of what you would have to be knowledged in before you could even succsessfully be able to label yourself as a Computer Geek I mean for example the one person who probably could label himself is Bill Gates but all he did was create Microsoft and Windows and know he gets most of his Engineers and whatnot to do more as well he was a real geek back in College when he built it using stuff I wouldn't understand.

Sabu
19-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Meyaz, I do have a social life. I have great mates, a beautiful girlfriend, a sister-in-law to be, 2 and a half year old niece and a small gang of punks, which we label ourselves. I do get fresh air. I bounce about on my friends trampoline, play runouts in the dark, go to the park after school and go to the town with my girlfriend/mates.

Since football is social :rolleyes:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!