PDA

View Full Version : Essence Update

Frozen..
20-04-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/img/title/blank.gif 20 April 2006 - Rune Essence adjustment http://www.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/img/news/arrow_forward.gif (http://news.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/newsitem.ws?id=570&dir=n)
Today we have made an adjustment to rune essence mining due to players breaking rule 7 and rule 12 (http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/viewcategory.ws?cat_id=823), using macros to mine the rune essence and then selling it.
As you are probably aware we have various systems in place to detect people breaking rule 7 and ban them. These systems work very effectively at detecting people breaking this rule, and make macroing a really bad way to try and train a high level character.
The problem we are now solving is not a problem with our macro detection systems which are still working well, but rather a problem with banning being an ineffective punishment against abusers who only use very low level accounts, and who have no intention of ever playing the game properly.
Over the last few weeks we have banned literally hundreds of accounts a day for macroing at the rune essence mine. However the bans were ineffective as the abusers could just create more low level accounts that they didn't care about to mine more. We also track trades so we can ban the recipiant of the illegally obtained items, but the abusers in this case were swapping the runes for gp, and then selling the gp for real world money on auction sites. Of course the person buying the gp for real world money gets banned, because we track the money they received in an unbalanced trade to a macro account, but the seller doesn't care that their customers get banned shortly after, as they have their real world money by then.
The fundamental problem is that rune essence was one of the few areas of the game which could be used to generate a reasonable amount of RuneScape money on a 'throwaway' low level free account. Normally to earn large amounts of money quickly you need to level up an account first, and then of course you care if it gets banned so our normal deterrant is effective.
We have therefore split rune essence to have 2 grades. Normal essence can only be used to make the six basic runes (http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/viewarticle.ws?article_id=1904), whereas pure essence can be used to make any rune. You can mine both types of essence at the same place as before. The kind of essence you receive is automatically decided when you mine the rock. You will always get pure essence only if your mining is over 30 and you are on a members' world, otherwise you will get normal essence.
As a one-off event whilst we introduce this, existing essence in your bank and inventory will have been automatically converted to pure essence if you are a member or have other members-only items in your bank.
Since free players can only craft the six basic runes (http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/viewarticle.ws?article_id=1904) anyway, the normal essence is just as good for its intended purpose of letting free players do low level rune crafting. However it is not so useful for selling to members who want to make law and nature runes (who we believe buy the vast majority of rune essence in Runescape) which should reduce its price significantly and make it a much less appealing proposition for real world traders.
The only people who should be significantly affected by this are players mining very large amounts of essence on free accounts purely to sell to members. There are better way of making money on high level free accounts anyway, so this change should only really affect players trying to making large amounts of money on a low level free account - which is of course the exact idea.
We would also like to yet again remind our players NOT to break rule 12 (http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/runescape/viewcategory.ws?cat_id=823) and be tempted to buy RuneScape gold for real world money. Nearly all the gold being offered for sale in this way was generated by cheating on 'throwaway' accounts. If you buy it not only are you encouraging further cheating, but you run the very real risk of being banned yourself as the money you receive is dirty money and will be tracked. Again we have banned countless players for breaking rule 12 and fuelling this problem, and will continue to do so. We hope most players will agree we shouldn't let rule breakers spoil this game, and we are determined to not let them do so. As well as banning, where necessary we will also make minimal changes to the game to make rule breaking unviable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a crap update.

Dudey!
20-04-2006, 10:35 AM
So, whats the difference ?? :S

iAdam
20-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Well that's stupid.

Racoon
20-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Theres another update now.

iAdam
20-04-2006, 10:48 AM
What this time?

Bielby2ooo
20-04-2006, 11:00 AM
i think u have to keep clicking everytime u get an essance =\

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Hyper inflation on forums.

People trying to get 100 ea.

Ive bought 24k ess for 35 ea before it rises anymore

Bielby2ooo
20-04-2006, 11:06 AM
So

Members can mine pure essance [can make any rune]
Non-members can sell non pure [only made for low level runes][

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 11:07 AM
But how many members actually mine essence compared to none members.

They really have ruined the market, autoers kept the prices low.

Bielby2ooo
20-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Mhmmmm

No members mine it

its for nooob's to make a quick buck -.-

Royksopp
20-04-2006, 11:22 AM
lol what bout the low lvls who aint mebers who try 2 make cash by selling ess then all the non pure ess will go down in price

iAdam
20-04-2006, 11:22 AM
*cracks knuckles* Time to Mine.

:Jamie
20-04-2006, 11:25 AM
so is pure essence members only? lil confused :S

iAdam
20-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I think it is I'm not sure if non members can sell it or not.

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah

Pure ess members only and 30+ mining. I think none members can have the ess, but cant mine it.

And pure ess has doubled/tripled maybe even more if u check what people want on forums

20-04-2006, 11:29 AM
not bad then.

prices have gone up then? :rolleyes:

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 11:33 AM
A LOT

Check the forums

iAdam
20-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Normal ess still same price?

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Not sure, ive only checked official forums.

It probably will be though

20-04-2006, 12:01 PM
cant check forums AT college i check it l8r tho

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 12:04 PM
OMG! That is stupid!
The price of laws and nats better don't go up! That would ruin fletching and alching the bows and still making some profit! :@ :@

DarkPharoh
20-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm going to shoot someone for this!!!!!!

Emo Tom
20-04-2006, 02:50 PM
this is lame, this now means that all the prices of nats, laws deaths chaos will rise!

bowrox
20-04-2006, 03:02 PM
It is well thought out and works apart from the knock on effect of nats and laws

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 03:32 PM
It is well thought out and works apart from the knock on effect of nats and laws
Lmao! No it isn't. People will just continue macroing but prices will go up so they might make even more.

JonJon
20-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Whats the diffence between Essence and Pure Essence? :s Ive always got essence that can craft every rune, even in non members.

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Whats the diffence between Essence and Pure Essence? :s Ive always got essence that can craft every rune, even in non members.
Pures now alow you to make all rune (members only)
Normal ones now only alow you to make elemental runes, minds and bodies.

JoeyK.
20-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I lost 10k ess through this... My other account ran out of members a while ago, and I'd had the ess stored on it... I'd still had a herb on the account though, and all the ess got converted to pure -.-

And I don't feel like paying 500k for a pin just to get them off :P

Finchie
20-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Damn that's stupid.

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I lost 10k ess through this... My other account ran out of members a while ago, and I'd had the ess stored on it... I'd still had a herb on the account though, and all the ess got converted to pure -.-

And I don't feel like paying 500k for a pin just to get them off :P
Woah! That's anoying! But you could sell them for 500k so you got the 500k of your membership back. (prices might be higher, don't really know or care)

Sly
20-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Bad for Alchers and Good for Runecrafters :P

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Bad for Alchers and Good for Runecrafters :P
Too bad I'm an alcher. =@
Oh well, the new mini-game gives me 1k+ xp per point so that will do fine.

bowrox
20-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Just get a j mod to go down and ban all the macroers and sorted

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Haven't you read it? It says they don't care (obviously) because those are accounts are throw away accounts anyway, they just make new ones.

bowrox
20-04-2006, 06:54 PM
I have read it but if a j mod just bans them all they will get fed up eventually,

20-04-2006, 06:59 PM

they have a system that bans them automatically?

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 07:03 PM
they have a system that bans them automatically?
Their system only detects suspicious behaviour and stuff, after that they have to deside wether to ban them or not. (That's what they said in a different post)

Mr.Sam
20-04-2006, 07:06 PM
my friend from school is a mod and he says when ever he goes downt he mines and speaks they all log out, but if he suspects someone is macroing then have to send a report to jagex then they scam files (something along those lines) and if they are found to be macro'n they ban all accounts that have been on that pc..

micky.blue.eyes
20-04-2006, 07:09 PM
my friend from school is a mod and he says when ever he goes downt he mines and speaks they all log out, but if he suspects someone is macroing then have to send a report to jagex then they scam files (something along those lines) and if they are found to be macro'n they ban all accounts that have been on that pc..
But if they use different computers it doesn't have much use. Most of them buy new parts for their computer and stuff so their software and stuff keeps changing.
Woudl be stupid if you played rs at a friend and he macro's and gets caught. Banned for nothing.

20-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Their system only detects suspicious behaviour and stuff, after that they have to deside wether to ban them or not. (That's what they said in a different post)

ohh ok thanks :)

Steve330
20-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, I bought 170k more ess for 40 each :)

Prices are relatively low at the moment, I believe they will really start going up once the huge supply of pure ess is sold and used up in the member worlds. Since hardly anyone mines rune ess on members servers, pure ess will be a lot harder to buy in mass.

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah.

Once all these people who sell like 200k ess on forums have sold, and their ess been used there wont be much around.

I spent loads of my money on ess today, managed to get 35 ea :eusa_danc

Emo Tom
20-04-2006, 09:30 PM
there going tog oup to like 70 each.

Ashley 12344
20-04-2006, 09:31 PM
People are slowly edging up the price, it'll sky rocket a fair bit i expect.

Its already doubled

bowrox
21-04-2006, 07:06 AM
I reckon it will go up to 75ish then some p2p will start mining it more and go down to 60ea

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!