PDA

View Full Version : How To Install a MOD - Step-by-Step & BASIC vBulletin Skinning Guide.

Homesrfan
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
How To Install Mods
by Homesrfan

I have reposted this because many people are asking how to install a mod and no one really looked at my old post, so here it is again. I may decide to add more on to it later, but for now here it is.
ATTENTION:
No one, and I mean NO ONE may repost my tutorials ANYWHERE without my permission. And if I give you permission there are guidlines. I have found many of my guides/tutorials reposted on many Habbo forums. Please DO NOT repost this forum without my permission. I work hard on my tutorials.

PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS!
To make a backup, download the files that you edited. For more information scroll down.

I'm not responcible for any mistakes that you might make when installing mods. Install at your own risk. Any database errors or any errors for that matter, I'm not responcible for.

So, you want install mods? Well, this guide will let you do it.
First of all, do not be overwhelmed by mods. They are not that complicated as they are cracked up to be. Not a lot of PHP knowledge is needed to install mods. I knew next to nothing about PHP when I first started installing mods, and I haven't learned much since I have started. So please, be careful, but DO NOT giveup. :)

What do I need?

A Forum (of course)
Notepad or a PHP Editor
FTP Client
A Mod (duh?)Step 1
Download a mod in the form of a .zip file.

Looking for a mod?

Mods for IPB

Invisionize (http://www.invisionize.com/)
Invision Hacks (http://www.invisionhacks.com/)
IPBHelpers (http://www.ipbhelpers.com/resources/index.php?act=home)Mods for phpBB

phpBB Website (http://www.phpbb.com/)
phpBBHacks (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/)Mods for vBulletin

vBulletin.org (http://www.vbulletin.org/)Step 2
Extract your files and folders to My Documents, or any location on your computer.
Please view the files. Look through all the files. There should be many folders, if your mod is a big mod. There should also be a install.txt or readme.txt or something. There might also be .html or .htm file you may need to view in your browser. Whatever it may be, open it.

If it was a .txt file it should look something like this:

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/5923/mod10sk.png

Notice the labels.

Uploading Files
Now, we actually start installing the mod. Remember before I told you to look through your files and notice all the folders? Well this is where that comes in handy.
Open up your FTP client. In your FTP client, connect to your forum.
Go to your forum root (the main part of the forum where you can see all the folders... if in IPB admin.php will be there).
Now, open up your mod files on the other side of the FTP. Notice the folders on your mod files. Some of them should be the same as the ones on your forum. Upload all the files to your forum, in the proper places.

Example:
If, in your mod files, you see a folder called: /sources/ with files and other folders in side.
You will upload the files in that /sources/ folder to your /sources/ folder on your forum via FTP.
Does this make sense? :P

Editing Files
Now you must edit files. To edit files, open up your install file. You must also open up notepad or a PHP file editor.
Editing files is pretty self explanitory.

PLEASE BE SURE TO MAKE COPIES OF ALL FILES THAT YOU HAVE EDITED. EX. MAKE A FOLDER ON YOUR COMPUTER CALLED /backup AND COPY ALL ORIGINAL FILES THERE.

In your install file. It will say something like:

open file.php files being whatever file it says

For this you must open whatever file it says, using your php editor or notepad.open sources/file.php file being whatever file it says

For this you must open a file inside a folder on your forum.[find] <php_stuff> in file.php

For this you must find text inside the given file that you previously opened.
To find something in a file, press Ctrl+F. Copy and paste the text you are suppose to find, and click find. The text will be highlighted.Add <the_rest_of_the_php_stuff> after <php_stuff>

For this you must add text after the text you previously found. In most cases, you will need to start a new line of code for this to work.EXAMPLE:

Open sources/file.php

Find <php_stuff>

<?php
<all this crazy file stuff that I don't know about>
<title="forum">
<php_stuff>
<php fileopen("file.php"); ?>
<text blahlblhadjflkjflkajlkfajslfjakf;jldajf;ldjsadsksa lfaj;ljadlf;ajfjafadfdsafajd;laj>
?>
Now that we have found <php_stuff> bold[/B]] we must add text.

Add <the_rest_of_the_php_stuff> after <php_stuff>

<?php
<all this crazy file stuff that I don't know about>
<title="forum">
<php_stuff>
[I]<the_rest_of_the_php_stuff> after <php_stuff>
<php fileopen("file.php"); ?>
<text blahlblhadjflkjflkajlkfajslfjakf;jldajf;ldjsadsksa lfaj;ljadlf;ajfjafadfdsafajd;laj>
?>
CHMODMany mods require you to CHMOD a file. This means that you are changing the permissions of a file.
There are two ways to change the permissions of a file.

1. Through cPanel
You can change ther permissions of a file straight through cPanel!
Okay, let's say that the install.txt file says to CHMOD /sources/blah.php to 777.
You would go to your cPanel and click 'File Manager'.
Then you go to sources/ folder and you click blah.php. Then click Permissions on the right side menu. After that, check all the boxes until the numbers at the top say 7 7 7. Then click okay.
You have now chmoded a file.

2. Through FTP Client
This is a more practical way.
Go to your FTP client and connect to your sites FTP Server. Let's say that the install.txt file says to CHMOD the file /sources/blah.php to 777.
Go to the /sources/ folder and click blah.php. Right click it and click 'permissions'. Type in 777 and click okay.
You have now chmoded a file.
Instructions may vary depending on your FTP Client.

Saving And Uploading
After you have fully moddified all the files that are needed, you need to save and upload the modified files over the original files.
To do this, just upload the files via FTP to the correct file that it originally came from.
Be sure it is in the right folder.

For now this is it.
YOUR DONE!
I wll add more stuff as I see I need to, but I need to stop writing becuase my computer is about to turn off any second.

MORE COMING SOON!

Edited By nvrspk4 (Super Moderator): Great tutorial, thread stuck!

Hmm... it seems that this toipc is not very popular. Must be because it's a hard task to LEARN how to install a mod by reading.. the best way to do it is just try and do it on a test forum.

Edited by Bomb-Head (Forum Moderator): Posts merged.

mat64
13-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok I decided to create a real basic guide to try to get some of you guys to have a go at making your own rather than constantly requesting. This guide is deadly Basic.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1209/skinguideyb6.png

Edited by Bomb-Head (Forum Moderator): Thread stuck, nice work :)

Homesrfan
13-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Brilliant Guide - hasd helped me a lot, +rep
Thanks a lot, glad to see someone likes it. :D

JoeComins
13-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Skim Read it. Looks nice

I dont vyer much read tutorials of things I can do though, so many people can either do it, or just plain ignorant (L)

mat64
22-08-2006, 11:43 PM
<Reserved for future use>

Aeon
22-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Good guide

This should be stickied I think.

+rep also :P

:Alpha
23-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Nice + Rep

Should Be stickied.

Matt would you be interrested in making skins for a forum?

Ill pay

mat64
23-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Hehe depends what sort of things you want. It's been over 2 months since i've been behind the Admin CP of my own forum that's why the guide is a little rusty and don't have much time these days =P

Italic
23-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I already know this but good guide :)

mat64
23-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Supposed to be the most basic bottom guide ;)

Steven.
23-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Hehe depends what sort of things you want. It's been over 2 months since i've been behind the Admin CP of my own forum that's why the guide is a little rusty and don't have much time these days =P

You're forum? i thought someone stole it -COUGH THEHABBOS -COUGH- :P

Awww, how sweet how mat has grown up after my training. :P

nice guide. ;)

---MAD---
23-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice. Useful for some :).

mat64
23-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Don't think you ever taught me how to skin ste. I was self taught :).

You're forum? i thought someone stole it -COUGH THEHABBOS -COUGH- :P

Awww, how sweet how mat has grown up after my training. :P

nice guide. ;)

Steven.
23-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Don't think you ever taught me how to skin ste. I was self taught :).

but still. if it wasn't for me you would be still learning. ;) :p

again great guide anyhow. :]

mat64
24-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Hehe I suppose so, Take not kids Ste is knowlageable.

but still. if it wasn't for me you would be still learning. ;) :p

again great guide anyhow. :]

Sygon.
25-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Its not skinning its called changing css.

mat64
25-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Just went for a commonly used phrase..

uber
25-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Great guide will help lots.
+rep

mat64
28-08-2006, 05:33 PM
So is this gonna get stuck or?

Bomb-Head
08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
V. Helpfull :) +rep

Typoh.
21-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Brill Tutuial even though i knew it may help some new starters

RNelson
29-01-2007, 05:39 PM
:P Like Sygon said this is just changing CSS now how do you code vBulletin skins :)

Mr.OSH
06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Nice tutorial. :D + rep.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!