PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - Not so good this year?

Bear-Max
09-05-2006, 06:49 AM
While last year PS3 seemed to many to be the "ultimate console", this year the news from Sony doesn't seem to be as good.

First off, the great news is that the hideous controller is gone. It's been replaced with a uch more familiar looking one, which (like the Wii) will have motion sensor capabilities. Unfortunately this means no rumble pack, so no more good vibrations for you guys. Oh, and it's got a 360 style "guide" button.

Now to the more important stuff. Despite heavy criticism of MS's release of 2 different spec consoles, Sony are doing the same. The basic version is going to cost 499 euros (around £340) and the more advanced version 599 euros (around £410). While the advanced version has a 60GB hardrive, the basic one has just 20GB, and it also loses the advanced capabilities of Memory Stick and Compact Flash Inputs, Wi-Fi intergration and HDMI output.

Both consoles will now only support one ethernet port (as opposed to the previously said 2) and four USB ports (as opposed to 6).

Still, I'm sure the console will be great; but a bunch of (frankly) nicked ideas and a downgrade from what everyone was expecting isn't exactly impressive, to say the least.

HUGECOOL
09-05-2006, 07:03 AM
"PS3- Now featuring Wiimote and Xbox Live!"

They failed. They tried combining all 3 consoles into one only to release a super expensive console with half-assed features. Sounds like the PSP to an extent.

I'll be getting a Wii and 360 as soon as I'm sure it won't explode/implode out of the box.

NekkLe
09-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Hmm, quite shameful really, I was waiting for it but from what it seems, it won't match up to whats been 'said' about it :/

I'm still in a predicament of what console to choose from.

kano
09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
sony has just run out of ideas, so they steal from the other consoles. i will still be gettin a ps3 but not til i get a wii and they come down in price

Neversoft
09-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Click here (http://www.e3insider.com/news/?articleID=P2OHHFJPJ4) to see the new Playstation 3 controller. Is it just me or does it look exactally the same as the PS2 one?

NekkLe
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Yep. Pretty shameful seeing as this has been the original modeled controller since the Playstation come out :s

Billabong
10-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Sony are always overated and the graphics you all see them show you ARN'T in real time! (So they are just CGI videos like... Shrek or something)

They are conning you into thinking it will be great when infact is just another console that you will throw in the cupboard

Lord Zero
10-05-2006, 07:34 AM
sony has just run out of ideas, so they steal from the other consoles. i will still be gettin a ps3 but not til i get a wii and they come down in price

There are only so many things you can do with a console, and these companies base a lot of features on user input.

PS3 will be a disappointment, that much is obvious, but so are all releases. The fact is, Microsoft and Sony know they can get away with telling people tales about the consoles because they know everyone will buy it anyway.

360 is NOT a particularly nice console. It had the potential, but failed. Hopefully the PS3 will work out better. It's sure to have at least superior hardware, but unless they integrate EVERYTHING well, that doesn't matter.

NekkLe
10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Sony are always overated and the graphics you all see them show you ARN'T in real time! (So they are just CGI videos like... Shrek or something)

They are conning you into thinking it will be great when infact is just another console that you will throw in the cupboard
I disagree, Playstation has been a success to Sony, since the Playstation came out I was baffled by the amount of fun I had. I feel that they let themsleves down a little when they say somethings going to be big but really isn't much change :/

HUGECOOL
11-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I disagree, Playstation has been a success to Sony, since the Playstation came out I was baffled by the amount of fun I had. I feel that they let themsleves down a little when they say somethings going to be big but really isn't much change :/ Yes, I agree, but its the casual gamer thats unaware of these things.

Many of the consumers won't even be aware the PS3 will have online capabilities or even know what a Core processor is, but they'll buy one anyway. Why? Well, simply because its the most expensive. Because people see a big price tag, they'll expect the PS3 to be a great quality product. The idealogy behind this is- if its that expensive, it must be worth it. Yep, ignorance is bliss, and it's what keeps our economy going. If people were wise about their purchases, we would see very different results in the market.

However, this too, can change. A great majority of retailers have a tendancy of pullling products from their stock and selling it online for a major profit. This is what happened to the 360. Retailers would claim they've been sold out when all of them would actual be for sale on eBay.

Anyway, I'm seeing this happen for the PS3 as well since it'll be anticipated by a more larger crowd than the 360, and the prices won't be pretty.

JoeyK.
12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
While last year PS3 seemed to many to be the "ultimate console", this year the news from Sony doesn't seem to be as good.

First off, the great news is that the hideous controller is gone. It's been replaced with a uch more familiar looking one, which (like the Wii) will have motion sensor capabilities. Unfortunately this means no rumble pack, so no more good vibrations for you guys. Oh, and it's got a 360 style "guide" button.

Now to the more important stuff. Despite heavy criticism of MS's release of 2 different spec consoles, Sony are doing the same. The basic version is going to cost 499 euros (around £340) and the more advanced version 599 euros (around £410). While the advanced version has a 60GB hardrive, the basic one has just 20GB, and it also loses the advanced capabilities of Memory Stick and Compact Flash Inputs, Wi-Fi intergration and HDMI output.

Both consoles will now only support one ethernet port (as opposed to the previously said 2) and four USB ports (as opposed to 6).

Still, I'm sure the console will be great; but a bunch of (frankly) nicked ideas and a downgrade from what everyone was expecting isn't exactly impressive, to say the least.
Actually, the 499.99 and 599.99 are in USD, not Euros... So a bit cheaper...

And about the controller- At least Sony listens. Everyone complained about the boomerang, so they went with something more familiar.

Bear-Max
12-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Actually, the 499.99 and 599.99 are in USD, not Euros... So a bit cheaper...

And about the controller- At least Sony listens. Everyone complained about the boomerang, so they went with something more familiar.

Actually the USD and euro prices are the same.

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6149470

Timewarp
12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Actually the USD and euro prices are the same.

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6149470
yup i knew that they will translate into £ and then bump it up loads
lol
go wii

NekkLe
13-05-2006, 10:12 AM
yup i knew that they will translate into £ and then bump it up loads
lol
go wii
Its a universal price, ofcourse its going to be the same from no matter what country there purchased from, its not going to be bumped.

paradox
13-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I have enough money, I prefer PS2 games to Xbox.
Don't know whether to get a 360 or spend all my cash on a PS3.
Decisions, decisions. Maybe the Wii will impress me.

Jordan3
13-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Well a Wii and a Xbox 360 will probably cost the same amount combined as the PS3, as the 360 price will have gone down to about £250 by then, and the Wii is expected to be £150.

Bear-Max
13-05-2006, 11:24 AM
To be honest, the price isn't universal. Those of us in Europe seriously get the raw end of the deal, as the get the crap taxed out of us on the system.

If we look at the American prices to the European prices, the lower tier PS3 is £260 in the US, but £340 over here. And the higher tier is around £320 in the US, and will be £410 here.

It's ludicrous.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!