PDA

View Full Version : Accidents + deaths

Calum
25-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Let's get one thing clear : Roller coasters are statistically very, very, very safe. Think about it: Out of the millions of people that ride the thousands of rides every year, there are only a small handful of incidents. You are statistically more likely to be involved in an accident driving to the park than having an accident on a ride. Fact.

Reputable theme parks check all of their rides daily. The coaster track is "walked" and inspected as are all the other important elements, such as winch cables and chains. One slight imperfection could cause an accident, and no theme park wants that to happen. Strict Health & Safety governing bodies also have the power to close a ride, or park, if they are considered unsafe.

Having said all that, accidents still happen...

March - Atlantis Adventure, Lotte World, Seoul, South Korea
A 28 year old ride op fell to his death after riding under the influence of alcohol and not securing the restraint properly.

May - Train, Gullivers Milton Keynes, Beds, UK.
A 56 year old worker died after his head struck a tunnel that the train enters.

March - Storybook Land Canal, Disneyland, Anaheim, California, USA
A young boy lost the top of his thumb after trapping it between the boat and the station.

May - Bob Express, Bobbejaanland, Brussels, Belgium
25 people suffered minor injuries after two trains collided following an emergency stop!

July - California Screamin' , Disneyland, Anaheim, California, USA
Two trains collided after a train entering the station failed to stop in the brake run.

(Image from NBC4.com)

August - Lady Bug Coaster, Adventureland, Farmingdale, New York, USA
A ride op died from severe injuries after being struck by an empty train.

January - Men In Black, Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida, USA
A boy seriously injured his foot after he kept sticking it outside the car.

February - Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA
A worker was killed when he was struck by a float from the parade.

April - Scream, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, California, USA
A female employee was struck by a train as she crossed the track in a restricted area.

April - Hyrdo, Oakwood, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK
A 16 year old girl died after falling 100ft due to to rider error and, to some extent, inappropriate restraints.
BBC News Report

May - Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Massachusetts, USA
A 55 year old man was ejected from the ride mid-ride and died from severe injuries.

June - Magnum Force, Flamingoland, Yorkshire, England, UK
A 32 year old ride op was airlifted to hospital after stepping in front of a moving train.
BBC News Report

July - Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio, USA
Four riders were injured by flying debris when the launch cable snapped.

July - Joker's Jukebox, Six Flags New Orleans, USA
A 53 woman was killed when she was struck by the ride after leaning over the guard rails to check the security of her grandsons safety belt.

July - Two Face, Six Flag America, Maryland, USA
An electrical failure stranded passengers on the lift hill. No injuries. You can watch footage of this here!

August - Steel Dragon, Nagashima Spaland, Nagashima, Japan
Two riders were injured when the train derailed following a wheel coming loose.

May - Batman The Ride, Six Flags Over Georgia, Atlanta, USA
A 56 year old employee was killed when he was in a restricted area beneath the train. He was struck by a riders foot.

May - Rainbow Ride, Six Flags Elitch Gardens, Denver, Colorado, USA
A man fell to his death after unfastening his seat belt mid-ride. Idiot.

May - Nemesis, Alton Towers, Staffs, England, UK
A young boy was struck by the train after he entered a restricted area. He suffered head injuries.

May - The Whip, Kennywood Park, West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, USA
The ride collapsed during a storm killing a 30 year old woman and injuring numerous others.

May - Grand Canyon, Phantasialand, Bruehl, Germany
63 people were injured following a fire suspected to have started by a faulty cable.

May - Birdmen, Fujikyu Highland, Fujiyoshida, Japan
2 people were injured when one of the flying trains derailed.

June - Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce, Bristol, Connecticut, USA
A 23 year old working was killed when he was stuck by a train in the morning's test run.

June - Tree Top Twister, Lightwayer Valley, Ripon, Yorks, England, UK
A 20 year old woman died and three others were injured when two trains collided.
BBC News Report

August - Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Massachusetts, USA
22 people were injured when two trains collided in the station.

September - Perlious Plunge, Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, California, USA
A 40 year old woman fell 100ft to her death after not sitting correctly and poor safety checks beforehand.

October - Beast, Paramount's Kings Island, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Two trains collided in wet weather injuring 20 people.

October - Guantlet, Camelot, Lancs, England, UK
A 59 year old worker was killed when he was struck by a train.

May - Batman Knight Flight, Six Flags Ohio, Aurora, Ohio, USA
A 17 year old ride op is injured when this flying coaster's loading platform move out from under her.

June - X:\No Way Out, Thrope Park, Surrey, England, UK
An 11 year old boy is flung from the ride and escapes with slight injuries. Cause of accident unknown.

June - Zach's Zoomer, Michigan's Adventure, Muskegon, Michigan, USA
A 38 year old woman was killed when she fell out mid-ride after turning round to photograph her family.

July - Space Invader, Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, Lancs, England, UK
An 11 year old boy died after falling from this enclosed roller coaster.

August - Pepsi Max Big One, Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, Lancs, England, UK
14 people were injured when a moving train collided with a stationery train.
BBC News Report

November - Splash Mountain, Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA
A 37 year old man was struck by another boat and died later in hospital after he left his boat mid-ride.

March - Roaring Rapids, Six Flags Over Texas, Arlington, Texas, USA
One woman drowned and 10 others were injured when a boat capsized trapping passengers underneath.

April - Thunder Road, Paramount's Carowinds, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Seven people were injured after two trains collided following a brake failure.

May - Superman: Ride of Steel, Six Flags Darien Lake, Darien Center, New York, USA
A man suffered slight injuries when he was ejected mid ride.

June - Super Himalaya, Coney Island Amusement Park in Brooklyn, New York, USA
A 17 year old woman was killed and 8 others were injured when a train left the track, flipped and fell 15ft.

July - Thunder Bolt, Kennywood Amusement Park in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, USA
35 people were injured when two trains collided.

August - Tornado, Lake Compounce, Bristol, Connecticut, USA
A 16 year old employee got caught from the waist down underneath a train and died in hospital from his injuries.

August - Drop Zone Stunt Tower, Paramount's Great America, Santa Clara, California, USA
A 12 year old boy fell out of this 224ft tower ride. The exact cause of boy's fall and subsequent death is unknown.

August - Boomerang, Six Flags Marine World, San Fransisco, CA, USA
Riders were stranded in 100 degrees Fahrenheit heat when the ride malfunctioned due to technical problems.

(Image from CNN.com)

August - Paul Bunyan Log Chute, Knott's Camp Snoopy, Bloomington, Minnesota, USA
A 12 year old boy fell about 35ft after grabbing a railing on a fixed part of the ride.

August - Screaming Yellow Eagle, Knott's Camp Snoopy, Bloomington, Minnesota, USA
An 8 year old girl with heart problems died of a heart attack.

September - Top Gun, Paramount's Great America, Santa Clara, California, USA
A 24 year old man died after entering a restricted area beneath the ride and being struck by a riders foot.

September - Tower of Terror, Disney MGM Studios, Orlando, Florida, USA
20 people were taken to hospital after the lift car malfunctions. Emergency stopping procedures prevented any deaths.

December - Columbia, Disneyland, Anaheim, California, USA
A 33 year old man died and two women sustained injuries from a flying piece of metal which broke away.

April - Wildcat, Bell's Amusement Park, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
One person died and five others were injured when two trains collided following a mechanical failure.

August - Excaliber, Six Flags Astroworld, Houston, Texas, USA
A 51 year old employee dies when he's struck by a train during testing.

May - Revolution, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, California, USA
A 25 year old employee was hit by a train and killed as he crossed the tracks in the station.

October - Knottā€™s Berry Farm, Buena Park, California, USA
A 56 year old employee died when he was caught between two steam train cars.

June - Timber Wolf, Worlds of Fun, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
A 14 year old girl dies after falling 25ft due to sitting incorrectly when the ride was in motion.

August - Great Nor'Easter, Morey's Pier, Wildwood, New Jersey, USA
A 36 year old park employee dies after being struck by the foot of a passenger traveling overhead.

June - Kings Island, Ohio, USA
Two men died in a pond after being electrocuted trying to save another man.

July - Ferris Wheel, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
A 17 year old man dies after a Ferris wheel gondola breaks free caused by the occupants rocking it.

July - Log Flume, Marine World, Santa Clara, California, USA
A 9 year old boy tried to exit the boat as it was mid-ride, causing him to get stuck under the boat.

August - Cyclone, Astroland, Coney Island, New York, USA
A park employee stood up on the first drop and fell 30ft to his death.

September - Dragon, Playland, Rye, New York, USA
An 8 year old girl died when chewing gum became lodged at the back of her throat.

June - Lightnin' Loops, Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, New Jersey, USA
Negligent ride ops caused a 19 year old woman to fell to her death after the restraints were not checked properly.

June - Mind Bender, Galaxyland, Canada
The worst accident in roller coaster history. A wheel sheered off the last car on the train of this Schwarzkopf Triple Looper and the train smashed at high speed into a concrete pillar killing all the riders.

More Information here.

August - Comet, Lincoln Park, North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
A 27 year old employee died after falling out.

May - Cyclone, Astroland, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, USA
A 29 year old man stands up during the ride and WHACK! Head hits a support. Family attend funeral.

January - Matterhorn, Disneyland, California, USA
Due to a seat belt malfunction, a woman died when she fell out of the train and into the path of another one.

May - Haunted Castle, Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson Township, New Jersey, USA
Eight teenagers died in a fire caused by a cigarette lighter igniting the themeing. The lighter was being used after the attractions main lights failed.

July - Rail Blazer, Six Flags Over Mid-America, Eureka, Missouri, USA
A woman falls out mid-ride and plunges 20ft to her death. The exact cause is unknown.

August - Rolling Thunder, Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, New Jersey, USA
A 20 year old employee died during testing after not securing his restraint properly.

March - Willard's Whizzer, Marriott's Great America, Santa Clara, California, USA
A 13 year old boy was killed as he boarded a train. Another train coming from behind and struck him.

Remember to hold on tight, keep out of restricted areas, sit correctly and follow all instructions given on ride information signs and by ride operators and it's very unlikely that you'll have an accident.

Taken from
coasterforce.com

:)
25-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Final Destination 3 put me off Rollercosters..

Calum
25-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Omg when did you see that ?

:)
25-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Havn't yet, Traliors ;o

JackBuddy
25-05-2006, 07:27 PM
You got that from Coasterforce?
I recognise it. ;)
Btw, you got more chance of dieing/getting injured on the WAY to the Theme Park than in it.

Bono
25-05-2006, 07:37 PM
that's actually made me less fearfull of rollercoasters. Ty.

Flap
26-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow somes been doing his homework xD
Quite a few of those are the peoples own faults, And if you notice, theyres more accidents in the early years, So it is getting safer xD

JackBuddy
07-06-2006, 05:15 PM
A 12 year old boy fell out of this 224ft tower ride. The exact cause of boy's fall and subsequent death is unknown.
The word ouch comes to mind. :(

Faye
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
weve got this pleasure island like across the road and this ride got stuck upside down
aparently theve got to remove the ride before there are any more 'serious' accidents
anyway , my mum says you hear it happening to people so why wouldnt it happen to you ?

JackBuddy
07-06-2006, 08:12 PM
There's allways a chance it can happen to you, It's just VERY unlikey.

Flap
07-06-2006, 08:25 PM
The word ouch comes to mind. :(

And splat..

I take it he didn't live..? [Stupid question alert..]

JackBuddy
07-06-2006, 08:37 PM
And splat..

I take it he didn't live..? [Stupid question alert..]
Very stupid! :D

Flap
07-06-2006, 08:49 PM
i'm good at those ;p

Confused
11-06-2006, 09:30 AM
"May - Train, Gullivers Milton Keynes, Beds, UK.
A 56 year old worker died after his head struck a tunnel that the train enters"

I've been on that ;o

Condas
11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
same :o!

Its at a very very random place,

anyway weres the photos

Flap
12-06-2006, 04:28 PM
ive never been to guillvers world :rolleyes:

JackBuddy
12-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Count yourself lucky.

Joe.
12-06-2006, 06:07 PM
thanx for than :S

i really like rollercoasters too :(

Neil
12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Alot of that was people stepping infront of trains and trains colliding, it's not that bad, more of a human error because the trains should be set on the right times and idiots shouldn't step infront of trains

Flap
13-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Some people are really stupid stepping into the trains way, I know not all of it were peoples fault.. but the people who purposly climb over fences and walk to the track..

clarizza
13-06-2006, 09:22 PM
June - X:\No Way Out, Thrope Park, Surrey, England, UK
An 11 year old boy is flung from the ride and escapes with slight injuries. Cause of accident unknown.

i've been on that ;ooo

jordybumz!
13-06-2006, 09:31 PM
X No Way Out is shiz.

I heard some guy on it stood up and his heads and arms smacked against something and got ripped off.

JackBuddy
14-06-2006, 02:17 PM
The only injury that's ever happened on X:/NOWAYOUT is some breaking their leg.
That 'swung from the train' thing is a slight exaguration.

Flap
14-06-2006, 02:48 PM
if he was flung from it i'm sure he'd be hurt a bit more..

JackBuddy
14-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Same thing. :P
But he only broke his leg.

Flap
14-06-2006, 05:16 PM
he was lucky then..
that wouldn't be so bad actually.. no PE.. and a cast to draw on when your bored ;p

Charlie
14-06-2006, 08:50 PM
January - Men In Black, Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida, USA
A boy seriously injured his foot after he kept sticking it outside the car.

Been on that, quite a few times. But i mean why stick your foot out? Even tho i did once or twice.

A 56 year old employee was killed when he was in a restricted area beneath the train. He was struck by a riders foot.

Ha at that too, he got hit by a riders foot and it killed him? The rider must of been going fast or i'm just stupid and not realising how bad it could of been.

Like its been said, most of the accidents were the people fault as they walkeds out in front of stuff or never sat properly or something.

Sammeth.
15-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Im so glad yuo listed all those. Now Ill be able to breath easy next time I go on a rolelrcoaster....:rolleyes:

Nah, but seriously, good post and all, but the chances are very slim as you mentioned.

Alterate
16-06-2006, 03:11 PM
May - Batman The Ride, Six Flags Over Georgia, Atlanta, USA

Thats just pure nasty. Just imagine that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

May - Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Massachusetts, USA
A 55 year old man was ejected from the ride mid-ride and died from severe injuries.

May - Superman: Ride of Steel, Six Flags Darien Lake, Darien Center, New York, USA
A man suffered slight injuries when he was ejected mid ride.

August - Superman Ride of Steel, Six Flags New England, Agawam, Massachusetts, USA
22 people were injured when two trains collided in the station.

They should close that ride down.

Ryan+Joe
23-06-2006, 07:38 PM
ouch at some of them

Mitch4?
23-06-2006, 11:18 PM
/I'm an avid coaster fan. And an avid www.coasterforce.com kinda guy :D So i did kind of get that straight away :D But nice find couldn't be bothered reading again :p

JackBuddy
24-06-2006, 09:43 AM
You a member on the forums?

cocaine
24-06-2006, 09:49 AM
A 16 year old girl died after falling 100ft due to to rider error and, to some extent, inappropriate restraints.
BBC News Report

I've been on that!

Demynx
27-06-2006, 12:56 AM
why were most people who died 50?

Moose
27-06-2006, 01:03 AM
September - Top Gun, Paramount's Great America, Santa Clara, California, USA
A 24 year old man died after entering a restricted area beneath the ride and being struck by a riders foot.

I love that ride "(

Also, its fun to read the deaths on the Disney article on Wiki.

JackBuddy
27-06-2006, 02:19 PM
why were most people who died 50?
Heart attacks? Weird though. :S

Clo
27-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I know last year at Alton Towers, a boy from my school on the trip was on nemisis on the farthest seat out. The daft get stuck his leg out and he banged it on the rock and it bent back. He broke it. F00l. Serves him right really.

-Soph-
27-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I know last year at Alton Towers, a boy from my school on the trip was on nemisis on the farthest seat out. The daft get stuck his leg out and he banged it on the rock and it bent back. He broke it. F00l. Serves him right really.

Ouch that must of really hurt being hit with a rock at that speed..

Clo
28-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah I guess so. And to think, he still had to go the duration of the ride with his leg swinging and that. Oo, the pain. >.<

Nixt
28-06-2006, 03:39 PM
You have now officially worked alongside Final Destination III, my friend and my teacher, put me off my trip to Alton Towers. :P

-Soph-
28-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah I guess so. And to think, he still had to go the duration of the ride with his leg swinging and that. Oo, the pain. >.<

Yeahh, I got hit by a little branchy thing on that going down the hill.. and that hurt enough, I bet a rock would kill.. and having to stay like that for the rest of the ride

a:p
12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
BBC News Report

I was there that day. Probably the most sickening day of my life. That poor girl.

jackass
12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
You forgot the runaway mine train at alton towers when the carriges came off. :)

jackass
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
BBC News Report

I was there that day. Probably the most sickening day of my life. That poor girl.

That was my sisters friends girlfriend, which was also my sisters friend. She was really sad. What really happened was her waterproof got caught in the harness and she pulled it out making he harness loose... :(

benjirofl
12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
a young boy at disney world, florida died after he came off rock n rollercoaster unconcious

Condas
19-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Oh there should be one

Thorpepark X:- No way out

Kid falls Of X: no way out Because he stood on hes seat he Only broken some bones.

That must of been scary Traped in No way out cos is dark very dark x[ i've seen pictures with the lights On before.

Trust me i know

JackBuddy
21-08-2006, 08:17 PM
They often turn the lights on, and the site you got it from is generally full of lies. ;p

sock
04-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I heard that the Blackhole in Alton Towers got someoone killed too.

Blue
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM
black hole was a well good ride though i'm not sure someone got killed on it. Also hasn't there already been a post like this ages ago.

Code
04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
A guy was almost sick directly on me at that big swinging boat thing at Chessington about 5 years ago. I was sitting at one end and he was at the other end and I seriously thought he was gonna be sick on me, he looked like he was about to be. I know it's not as bad as a death but I almost got a faceful of stomach juice.

-Soph-
07-09-2006, 05:01 PM
You forgot the runaway mine train at alton towers when the carriges came off. :)

This thread was made before that I think

Iluminations
12-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I've been told that the superman ride at six flag, USA lifts you off your seat.. and it's in there a few times "People being ejected mid way"

I'm going there next year. :rolleyes:gah!

But yeah.. very unlikely, I'm sure theres some other ridiculous statistic you're more likely to die of.. like being attacked by a blind emu..

-Soph-
12-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Bah, you'll be fine, The odds of anything happening are massive.

i luv rosie
12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been told that the superman ride at six flag, USA lifts you off your seat.. and it's in there a few times "People being ejected mid way"

I'm going there next year. :rolleyes:gah!

But yeah.. very unlikely, I'm sure theres some other ridiculous statistic you're more likely to die of.. like being attacked by a blind emu..

theres more than one six flags mate.

Iluminations
12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Did it matter all that much?

Six flags, New England, Mass.

Mate.

-Soph-
13-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Nothing will happen to you though. (Well its very unlikely)

Mate.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!