PDA

View Full Version : What are dreams?

..::Tina::..
20-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this lately:
What are dreams? Are they wishes we make in our sleep, or things our heart wants, without us knowing it?
Or are they just stories we make up?
Yeah, some dreams are very unrealistic, but take the realistic details out, could those bits be what we want?
Put your answers here. ;)

GommeInc
20-01-2005, 09:13 PM
This is roughly easy, I dream about what happened in the day and then change what happened to make it funnier or to see what could of been avoided.

It's basically your eye are closed, but your Brain makes and paint images and sort of put them in place of your eyes, unless you wake up and the dream is destroyed.

Some people dream about wishes and hopes which, if they have had a good they, they dream about their wishes. If you have someone who is dying, you dream about them back up and well.

Nightmares on the other hand is when you are scared or uncomfortable and the dream sort of, makes itself scary to match your mood, some good dream turn to nightmares though, it is like a TV Channel, the program may change, dus making a nightmare as your dream goes with the flow if you get my drift?

Telling the future is apparently possible in your dream, as they are probably one original dream but strabgely comes true.

It is very fascinating!`

21-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Wow that's cool ;)
I usually dream what happened in the day, and several times I've had dreams about things that happened a couple of days later.
Sometimes it's really annoying.
And my nightmares? Don't get me started about those. They're the weirdest things ever.

2hd.
21-01-2005, 04:46 PM
dreams are great because there the one thing no-one can ever change

21-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Aww that's sweet.
But so, so true ;)

Ciaran
21-01-2005, 05:14 PM
over the past few years ive matured and when ive had bad dreams ive been able to addapt and change my dream all i had to do was realize it was a dream and tell myself to wake up... dreams use more of the mind than when your awake so i think in some ways they can help you realize things or use more of your mind maybe tell the future? i dunno

Jacko2kn3
21-01-2005, 05:22 PM
My dreams are not allowed on the forum :lol:

Seriously now, I see dreams like what we want in our life, although they aren't presented clearly. I think dreams do mean something, sometimes it is obvious. Eg. You dreaming your a professional footballer, you like football, it's an ambition. My friend had a dream that at the end of the school road was a waterfall, and people were playing in it. Strange, I don't think it's her ambition to make a waterfall, but it probably means something.

21-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah....what really confuses me is that you dream something but you don't know it :s it's so weird!
And probably every dream means something.
Oh yeah, my mum told me that actually every dream lasts around 2 seconds. THAT is SERIOUSLY confusing.

Pulchritudinous
21-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I think you're recent experiences persuade what you dream about, for instace if earlier that day you were playing tennis, or watching mtv, you may dream about something to do with that.

Sometimes you have the weirdest dreams, sometimes I wonder why an earth i would have thought of such a thing, I find it hard to remember my dreams, unless they are really 'eventful', I can't even remember them when I wake up sometimes.

wrestlin-kid
21-01-2005, 07:26 PM
wow,this is a good thread and a good question at that,last year my teacher had our class going about how if we close our eyes,everyone that we saw efore are gone,like they are stigments of our imagination,and that dreams are your second life and stuff,he really got into it,but my grape sized brain cant think too deeply into that lol

21-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I have so many dreams I can't remember them all.
I only remember nightmares or freaky dreams like ones that I kinda predict the future with.
Sometimes I get this feeling at school, like me and my mates go to the vending machine and 2 of my friends are messing around and they disappear and we all go looking for them and find them by the maths block. Well anyway, I feel like that happened before. But it was only me dreaming. :s

Pulchritudinous
21-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Uh-huh, same here, dah-ja-vu, (excuse the spelling).

21-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Lol. Dreams are strange little things ;)
P.S. I think it's déja-vu or something :s

Jacko2kn3
22-01-2005, 10:12 PM
I think you're recent experiences persuade what you dream about, for instace if earlier that day you were playing tennis, or watching mtv, you may dream about something to do with that.

Ahh, the old playing tennis on MTV dreams :p

I haven't remembered a dream for a long time. If I do remember one, and it is suitable :lol: I will post.

Pulchritudinous
23-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Lol, I never dreamnt about that, it was just that we did tennis in PE, and I was watching mtv at the time.

Now a remembered dream...
I'll just let you get the idea...

<STAIRS>

< BATHROOM> <HALLWAY> < MY BEDROOM >

I was about 6 or 7, and I was sleep walking, which is the weird part, because I remember it so clear, this is one of about the three dreams I remember, anyway, I walked along the hallway, and looked down the stairs, and I saw a train charging up them, I started screaming, and I didn't want to run into the bathroom (which was where I need to go) because my cat was sitting in-front of the door, and I hated my cat because it used to bite and scratch me, so as the train came closer I started screaming for my mum, and I was actually in hysterics crying, my mum came out, moved the cat, and I went into the bathroom, and when I woke up in the morning, I was asleep on the bathroom floor.

24-01-2005, 07:36 PM
:o Freakee!
Nothing like that has ever happened to me, except that when I was I dunno, 5 or something, apparently I walked into my parents room, with my eyes open (so undoubtedly awake), climbed onto the bed, put my head on my mum's pillow, got up again and walked back up the stairs to my bedroom. (this was at my old house, the stairs were kinda spiral-ish).
I don't remember any of this, so I think I sleepwalked which is really scary cos I've never sleep walked in my life (apart from then) and if I did, how did I get down the spiralling(ish), wooden, hard stairs without hurting myself?
It is a mystery.
Like dreams :p

Mined
24-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Dreams are just another figure of our imagination

25-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Dreams are just another figure of our imagination
Oo another argument :eusa_ange
That's good, another side of the story ;)
So....dreams are things that happen in life, dreams are our imaginations...
C'mon you guys, what d'you think?

MENTAL NUTTER
25-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Easy, Dreams are mini movies we see in our minds. They are ever events in our life that have happened, or things that we wish could happen (like skateboarding with tony hawk) They could either tell you something may happen in your life, that your struggling with something or that u should do when your awake. for example, if you have had a salty snack before going to bed, u may dream of u drinking something. Did i just say all that? Wow, i'm moving my I.Q up to 1!

Janumz
26-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Wow, This is a good thread, i always wondered this too..
I know this sounds wierd, But i always have dreams that I'm falling out of bed, And I just suddenly wake up, Its wierd.

Also, i had a dream that I was in bed with this boy I really fancied.. but i wont go there, Lol

26-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Good idea ;)
Yeah once I had a dream that I was in this Playland thing (I was around 6 ;)) and there were all these mats on a second floor thing, and I didn't notice and fell through, and just as I hit the ground I woke up with a pain in my back. I had this dream around 10 times. It's freaky :s
P.S. Please excuse the lack of info :p

GommeInc
26-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Dreams are our imagination and life!

We are alive and we imagine!

Some dream people about the day they had, some people dream of wishes, some people dream of hobbies, some people have nightmares

28-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Sometimes I dream of the day I had (like when I had a maths test. SO unfair that I had to see it again ;)) or I have nightmares. I never have a dream like my hobbies or wishes. Unfortunately ;)

MissAlice
28-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Dreams are your hearts desires :)

Nightmares are what your heart is dreading!

28-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Aww thats sweet ;)
My heart must be dreading a lot then. :p

Dahmed
29-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Dreams? Ive never faught of dem in that way, I ma self always thaught a dream was eiver a preminition of things 2 come,An image of something u wuld like or the past,It always has been for meh :s

And why do people bother about nightmares? Real life can be 10x as worse, nowadays If u have a nightmare about 'a monster in the closet'[a dunno how u would fink of it but keep readin] u will wake up and forget about it in 5 mins,maybe an hour,maybe 2,maybe even longer, but in real life, Ur not imagining it,Ur experiencing it,feeling,hearing, living and seeing it, In real life u cant wake up, u cant forget about it,loads of terrible fings can happen in this day n age, Stay Safe :D

Why? Cus a told yeh so ;)

Szam
29-01-2005, 05:59 PM
We have loads of dreams when we sleep apparently but we dont remember them only certain parts of them.

GommeInc
29-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Dreams are your hearts desires :)

Nightmares are what your heart is dreading!
Thats only when you have dreams about your wishes!

Sometimes you may dream about the day you had or something happened that you dream differently.

Azela
29-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Firstly, Jacko you dirrty mair

And secondly dreams are a compilation of memerable events...

e.g recently i watched 'Like father Like Son' and that girl hung her self, then whilst in school i was talking about it constantly thinking of the hanging.

Then my mum was rang by a teacher i dreamt that night that My teacher hung his self in our gym.

See how it works? :p

P.S that was a true dream :)

Jacko2kn3
29-01-2005, 07:03 PM
A dirty mair? Well thanks a lot :p

Azela
29-01-2005, 07:04 PM
My dreams are not allowed on the forum :lol:

Yes, my evidence :P

AngJum
29-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Hmm.. I don't dream, or maybe I do and I forget. I bought this book called Understanding Dreams - how to influence, record and interpret dreams. I'll just tell you what it says about dreams..

The Science of sleep and dreams
Science has come a long way since the 'heavy supper' theories of the ancient Greeks to explain the physiological proccesses of the sleeping state. However, we are no nearer to the understanding the necessity for sleep or the nature and purpose of our dreams than we were more than 2000 years ago. Science has indentified, measure and anilysed the biological and neurological procesesses involved and noted the traumatic effects of sleep deprivation, but has so far failed to explain the mysteries of the human mind.

I don't really have a clue what any of that means, but nevermind maybe you will..

Azela
29-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Ang i'm on graffiticreator best be a good site, or expect a poke :p

Dreams are kewl!

G-flow
29-01-2005, 07:25 PM
hmm a dream is....*drum roll* i dunno! :p

Edited By MissAlice - IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE PLEASE DONT POST.

AngJum
29-01-2005, 07:30 PM
:o YAY! I was on that site in Computing at school, it's soo cool! :D

I stopped remembering dreams when I was like 11.. I had this really scary dream. Not a nightmare, it was worse - I was walking in the place where I used to live.. and the world was going to end, I got really upset in my dream and I tried to go and say bye to everyone, my family etc.. But then, it went all white and all I heard was this soothing music and I woke up in my bed sweating, and I couldn't get back to sleep.. then after that I stopped sleeping for a while but then I started sleeping again. It was so scary and since then I think I have had 1 dream which I remembered, and it was about habbo..

Mentor
29-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this lately:
What are dreams? Are they wishes we make in our sleep, or things our heart wants, without us knowing it?
Or are they just stories we make up?
Yeah, some dreams are very unrealistic, but take the realistic details out, could those bits be what we want?
Put your answers here. ;)
As far as i know, dreams are simply your imagnition creating stories top help you interpret the days events, and store important stuff to long term memory and forget pointless stuff while you sleep, it is also what stops your brain from simply shutting off (u would be dead)

Athogh teh dreams themslves wil bair little resmbale to real life, they are most likly senrios genrted by subconises doubts worrys or hopes.

29-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Very scientific mentor ;)
I wish I could forget my dreams, they're beginning to annoy me. I have too many of them. I bet you tonight I'll have one of me rehearsing for our school's gym & dance display.
I bet u ;)

AngJum
29-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Rrr.. why do I even bother? :'(

29-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Rrr.. why do I even bother? :'(
What's wrong ang?

AngJum
29-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Why did I even go to all that bother to try and tell you what a dream was? I just got ignored, no one seems to care :l

-Soro-
29-01-2005, 09:20 PM
How do you know no one cares? Do you need worded confirmation everyone's read and understood the damn thing?

GommeInc
29-01-2005, 09:22 PM
It was a tiny bit useful Ang, but people didnt understand it!

I think all dreams are:

Either a review on what has happened in the day that you wished you could of avoided.
Or, our deepest desires deep from our Heart, like love, what you want, parents getting back together.

Nightmares are simply what you dont want, say your parents are in a loving relationship and during the day you saw something like a TV program of parents splitting up and you dream this happens to your parents etc etc

AngJum
29-01-2005, 09:22 PM
It would be nice, you don't need to go to alot of bother and say yeah Ang I understand, or no ang I don't understand.. anyway lets just drop it going totally off of topic

MissAlice
29-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Hmm.. I don't dream, or maybe I do and I forget. I bought this book called Understanding Dreams - how to influence, record and interpret dreams. I'll just tell you what it says about dreams..

The Science of sleep and dreams
Science has come a long way since the 'heavy supper' theories of the ancient Greeks to explain the physiological proccesses of the sleeping state. However, we are no nearer to the understanding the necessity for sleep or the nature and purpose of our dreams than we were more than 2000 years ago. Science has indentified, measure and anilysed the biological and neurological procesesses involved and noted the traumatic effects of sleep deprivation, but has so far failed to explain the mysteries of the human mind.

I don't really have a clue what any of that means, but nevermind maybe you will..

I read it with interest :)

Science has indentified, measure and anilysed the biological and neurological procesesses involved and noted the traumatic effects of sleep deprivation, but has so far failed to explain the mysteries of the human mind.

I am also aware why anilysed is mis-spelt ;)

AngJum
29-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Heheh Alice thanks :) Yes - lol I previwed it and it came up with *** I don't know why, but I shant ask

Mentor
30-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Why did I even go to all that bother to try and tell you what a dream was? I just got ignored, no one seems to care :l
If you mean the post i think you mean, it doesnt actaly say anything about what dreams are, just that where no where near knoing for shore, and its mainly just speculation

AngJum
30-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Oh well nevermind, sorry for that

Ryan
30-01-2005, 02:34 AM
dreams are stupid.... if they are wishes u make in ur sleep ... why would u dream ur trying to swim a length of a swimming pool... but never get there lol

i have some wierd dreams ... really wierd wierd dreams :(

Fingerboots
30-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I usually dream about what I was last thinking about before I go to sleep, which is understandable. Then again you have those strange - meaning dreams. Hmmm!
I have woken up twice now holding my house phone. :S

30-01-2005, 07:13 PM
:o loadsa new posts.
Sorry about before Ang. :eusa_shif I don't have a clue what that means either. Maybe I'm stupid, but....:)
That happens to me GommeInc. Like a few days ago I watched this programme about the railways being unsafe, and an aeroplane that crashed etc. I then had a nightmare that we were in a car crash :( and then I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.
Ryan - welcome to my world ;)
I have dreams of what I was thinking before I go to sleep. I think so much that I usually stay awake an hour or sometimes 2 after I go to bed :(

E
30-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I had a dream that i see somebody thats a alien out the window its like they say i have to jump but i cant so they throw me on my bed i end up falling off my bed after that anyway i try to scream as hard as i can AND I CANT SCREAM THE ALIENS END UP COMING and another dream is that there is a alien ship in the window i say oh no not again and another one. i had this morning is that i couldnt see myself and then i couldnt wake up the dream was still there thats the end of my presentation thanks are you still getting annoyed plz dont get annoyed hop on pop what the hell Da-Sha-Vu i said hop on pop this morning OMG IM BEING HYPNOTIZED HELP IM GETTING MONKEYIZED!

30-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Rofl monkeyized?!?
Do all your dreams have aliens in them? All my dreams have me in them tehe ;)

E
30-01-2005, 08:17 PM

Dreams are kewl! OMG thats what i used for habpics banner Dreams Are Kewl!
As far back as recorded history and probably further, dreams have been employed for guidance and healing. The dream temples of ancient Greece are a classic example where the ill would perform a sacred ritual and sleep in a specialized healing temple. The Greek god Asklepios would often appear in a visionary dream, perform a symbolic operation, and the seeker would awaken healed or having received guidance. Closer to home, many native American tribes such as the Ojibwa of the Great Lakes, have expanded their use of incubation beyond healing. Young adults would embark upon a dream or vision quest into the wilderness as a rite of passage into adulthood and would fast and pray until the anticipated dream was received. Blessed by the dream with guidance or revelations about latent personal talents, the youths would return to the tribe with the responsibility to apply and share their gifts for the benefit of the community.

The process of incubation is the basis for all the applications that follow. Although perhaps a forgotten art in our culture, it is innate and neither esoteric nor difficult, and often operates automatically as we fall asleep with a problem in mind. How often have you heard a friend with a pending decision, problem or question say, "Let me sleep on it"?

To consciously incubate a dream, simply hold your question or problem clearly in mind as you prepare for sleep. Then ask (rather than command) yourself to have and clearly remember a dream which reveals the answer as either an insight, an actual experience, or both. In the morning, record any dreams or thoughts which you have upon waking for later reflection. The answer may be obvious or may not be immediately apparent, but trust that the process is working and try to put any insights you get into practice. This last step often involves drawing upon courage and self-discipline to face personal fears and/or overcome present personal limitations, but is important, as explained by the following ****ogy: if you ask someone for a gift and they grant your wish, they won't be overly impressed or nearly as generous next time if you lose, ignore or forget about it, so try to maintain a grateful appreciation for having received such guidance and it will likely promote further insight and future success.

"After learning about dream incubation, I suggested to myself to have a healing dream since I'd been feeling drained of energy for some time and had a bad cold coming on, which is unusual for me. I dreamt that the pores of my legs opened and ugly leeches oozed out. I awoke feeling much better. I never did find out exactly what it represented, but it sure worked." (M.S., Palo Alto, CA)

"I'm a triathlete. After an important, upsetting race where I biked and ran well below my capability, I decided to incubate a dream about it. After a week of focusing, I remembered this dream: 'I'm with my coach discussing how I was so tight and cramped during the race. He suggests regular sports massages for the racing season and says he knows a guy who could do it.' When I awoke and phoned him, he confirmed the dream and connected me with his massage therapist. A few weeks later I won my first major race, becoming the New England Long Course Champion. Two weeks after that, I qualified for the World Championships in Hawaii." (R.C., Montreal, QC)

"A new relationship came into my life, except that communication suddenly broke off for a few days, so I asked for guidance from my dream as to whether this relationship would be healthy for me. That night, I dreamt I was trying to talk to my new boyfriend on the phone. The connection kept getting cut off his because his end of the line was made of many small bits of phone wire poorly patched together. The dream confirmed my feeling that keeping good communication with this new partner might prove difficult. On top of that, he even told me when he finally called a few days later that he wasn't yet ready to be close to anyone." (S.L., Montreal, QC)

Resolving Nightmares, Anxiety Dreams & Recurring Dreams
Almost everyone has experienced one or more dreams that contain anxiety or outright fear. These experiences can be quite traumatic or become recurrent. For some, unpleasant dreams or nightmares repeat in actual content. For others, the content may change while the theme remains the same, such as scenes of falling, or of being pursued or attacked, of being late or unprepared for class, a presentation or an exam. Some people even dream of being stuck in slow motion and unable to move, or of being naked in public, to name a few common themes. Research has shown that most recurring dreams are described as being unpleasant. Furthermore, many dream theories converge in their view that this type of experience is associated with lack of progress by the dreamer to recognize and solve related conflicts in life.

Fear of nightmares from early in life, or other anxieties or misguided beliefs about dreams and the unconscious can block dream recall, but this can usually be overcome by learning about the useful nature of dreams and by recognizing that many nightmares, like a bitter but quite necessary medicine, represent opportunities for healing and insight, and can warn of psychological imbalances that we need to remedy, or of current behaviors or decisions which may soon become detrimental unless we change them, as exemplified in this dream by Stanford University pioneer sleep researcher Dr. William Dement:

"Some years ago I was a heavy cigarette smoker, up to two packs a day. Then one night I had an exceptionally vivid and realistic dream in which I had inoperable cancer of the lung. I remember as though it were yesterday looking at the ominous shadow in my chest X-ray and realizing that the entire right lung was infiltrated. I experienced the incredible anguish of knowing my life was soon to end, that I would never see my children grow up, and that none of this would ever have happened if I had quit cigarettes when I first learned of their carcinogenic potential. I will never forget the surprise, joy, and exquisite relief of waking up. I felt I was reborn. Needless to say, the experience was sufficient to induce the immediate cessation of my cigarette habit."

Fortunately, there exist treatments for nightmares that do not involve medication and which have shown to be remarkably effective. Some of the most effective techniques presently being used in psychotherapy include voice dialogue work, dream lucidity, guided imagery, dream rehearsal.

Dream lucidity is a subject of current research with doctors at Montreal's Sacré Coeur Hospital Dream and Nightmare Laboratory. The lucid dreaming approach for resolving nightmares is demonstrated the following typical integration dream:

"After many recurring nightmares where I'm pursued by some terrifying figure, I learned of lucid dreaming and had the following dream: I'm in a frantic car chase with the pursuer right behind me. Swerving into a lot, I bolt out of the car and run with him hot on my heels. Suddenly, the scene seems familiar and I realize that I'm dreaming, though the parking lot and trees still seem more real than ever. Drawing upon every ounce of courage that I have, I swirl to face my pursuer, repeating to myself that it's only a dream. Still afraid, I scream at him, "You can't hurt me!" He stops, looking surprised. For the first time I see his beautiful, loving eyes. "Hurt You?" he says. "I don't want to hurt you. I've been running after you all this time to tell you that I love you!" With that, he holds out his hands, and as I touch them, he dissolves into me. I awake filled with energy, feeling great for days. The nightmare never returned." (M.R.,San Jose,CA)

A Rich Source of Creativity
Dreams have long proven themselves to be storehouses of creativity and may in fact be the well from which imagination springs. With dream incubation and the new opportunities presented by lucid dreaming, artists, musicians, dancers, sculptors, and inventors are able to dive deep into the source of inspiration and explore the vast reaches of their own creative potential by meeting face to face with the unconscious. The increased clarity and directable nature of the lucid state often enables the dreamer to return awake laden with creative insights.

A few example dream-inspired works are The Beatles' well-known hit "Yesterday", Samuel Taylor Coleridge's famous poem "Kubla Khan", Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Other artists who credit dreams as a source of inspiration include composers Sting, Peter Gabriel, Robert Palmer, Mozart, and Beethoven, poet-painter William Blake, painter Paul Klee, and screenwriters Judith Guest and Ingmar Bergman, to mention but a few.

A Valuable Problem-Solving Tool
The tale is now famous of how, after an embarrassing slump, golfer Jack Nicklaus claims to have solved a problem with his golf swing within a dream, which subsequently improved his game by ten strokes -- overnight! There are undoubtedly plenty more undocumented examples spread over history, but some well-documented ones include the dream-inspired experiment and resulting discovery of the chemical mediation of nerve impulses by Otto Leowi, which won him a Nobel prize, Elias Howe's discovery of the sewing machine, many of Thomas Edison's inventions and Friedrich Kekulé's discovery of the structure of the benzene ring from a hypnagogic dream where he saw a snake swallowing it's tail. Said an excited Kekulé to his colleagues, "Let us learn to dream!"

Physical & Professional Skill Rehearsal
Young children, especially babies, s??nd??or

MENTAL NUTTER
15-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey discontact, did u get that all out of a text book? But really, dreams are just pictures from life or fantasy fromed together to make a mini movie. In other words (this will just some it all up) dreams are movies.

so, in a....strange way of saying it, your mind is a huge cinema with tons of movies (your dreams) and every night, when ur a sleep, u go to the 'mind cinema', buy a ticket (u might dream this bit, lol) and watch a movie (dream).

Then when that movie is over, u will wake up. This may have confused you more, but, it's something to read.

:.bEx.:
15-02-2005, 05:51 PM
i like dreaming.....u get to get ya own back on ppl u hate without getin in trouble..one problem though...when u wake up dare still alive argh!

15-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey discontact, did u get that all out of a text book? But really, dreams are just pictures from life or fantasy fromed together to make a mini movie. In other words (this will just some it all up) dreams are movies.

so, in a....strange way of saying it, your mind is a huge cinema with tons of movies (your dreams) and every night, when ur a sleep, u go to the 'mind cinema', buy a ticket (u might dream this bit, lol) and watch a movie (dream).

Then when that movie is over, u will wake up. This may have confused you more, but, it's something to read.
Lolz that's funny :p but I get it. And when someone wakes you up in the middle of the dream it's like you leaving in the middle of the movie. Or someone throwing popcorn at the screen.
Bex I totally agree with you. Revenge!!

Jesus-Egg
15-02-2005, 08:30 PM
This might sound strange, but i've never had a proper nightmare before that's been really scary, but i have had some really wierd dreams.

I had this really wierd dream that i'll never forget about 4 years ago not long after xmas. Firstly this dream was strange, because normally when you dream, it's one main story, but this dream was 5 completely different stories joined together. I won't go into much detail, but in the first part, it was my best friend's birthday, and i forgot the present. In the next part, it was like some computer game where i was trying to get Homer Simpsons out of prison. Next, i was at school, and there were these two large buildings with these robotic elephants in. In the fourth part, I got lost in this huge shoe shop, and in the final part, it was sports day at school, and we were doing this game with a catapult and spaghetti.

Wierd :s

Note: this was a real dream!

16-02-2005, 11:51 AM
This might sound strange, but i've never had a proper nightmare before that's been really scary, but i have had some really wierd dreams.

I had this really wierd dream that i'll never forget about 4 years ago not long after xmas. Firstly this dream was strange, because normally when you dream, it's one main story, but this dream was 5 completely different stories joined together. I won't go into much detail, but in the first part, it was my best friend's birthday, and i forgot the present. In the next part, it was like some computer game where i was trying to get Homer Simpsons out of prison. Next, i was at school, and there were these two large buildings with these robotic elephants in. In the fourth part, I got lost in this huge shoe shop, and in the final part, it was sports day at school, and we were doing this game with a catapult and spaghetti.

Wierd :s

Note: this was a real dream!
Oh I get that. Lots. Practically every night ;)
I had a dream that my mum dyed my carpet bright blue and I went to the window, and then turned around and it turned out it was just a towel :s
And you thought you have weird dreams ;)

Jane
16-02-2005, 12:47 PM
When I wake up in the morning after having a dream ( you know when you wake up but you can't be bothered to get up so you keep your eyes closed and try to go back to sleep :p ) I often carry on dreaming, although I'm awake. Anyone else do that?

P.s If someone's already said this I couldn't be bothered reading all the pages :p

Jacko2kn3
16-02-2005, 12:51 PM
I attempt to go back to sleep, and imagine my dream, but I cannot go back to sleep, ever. If I wake up at 2am I'm up from 2am, or at least awake.

Also, I cannot be bothered reading through all the posts either :P

16-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah I get that. You're just kind of half asleep or something. Kind of like day dreaming but it's half-asleep-dreaming ;)
If I get up in the middle of the night I can get back to sleep (sometimes) but if I wake up at like 5 then I can't get back to sleep, so I just lie in bed for a few hours until it's 7 or something :p

Kyle441
16-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Dreams Can be scary. lol

16-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah....like my carpet one....it's just scarily weird :p

Ω
16-02-2005, 03:47 PM
In short: An altered state of consciousness in which remembered images and fantasies are temporarily confused with external reality.

MENTAL NUTTER
16-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Lolz that's funny :p but I get it. And when someone wakes you up in the middle of the dream it's like you leaving in the middle of the movie. Or someone throwing popcorn at the screen.
Bex I totally agree with you. Revenge!!

Well i agree but in 'the real world' if someone is calling out your name it will be transfered into 'the dream world' and u will think it is someone in your dream calling your name out when it is really in the outside world. strange isn't it?

16-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Well i agree but in 'the real world' if someone is calling out your name it will be transfered into 'the dream world' and u will think it is someone in your dream calling your name out when it is really in the outside world. strange isn't it?
Yeah but sometimes it wakes you up.
But yeah, it happens and it's really, really weird :s

Jane
17-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Ha ha the other day I was sort of half-awake half-asleep, and in my dream I dreamt my phone was ringing so I was here " hello? Hello? I SAID HELLO? WHOS THERE!? " then my mum came in and asked what all the shouting was about lmao

Hippygurl101
17-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Dreams are said to be either two things - There purely biological - alot of neuropyschologists beleive that the brain is activated during the REM stage of sleep and that this is the way of us allowing events to play out fro the day to releive our minds, also they beleivbe this is connected to your limbic areas and so your memory is connected, so why you see people you know..
Or there the freudian approach of repressed desires.. and that dreams symbolises repressed wishes that we want to come true.. But also that are socailly unacceptable.
Dreaming is pretty remarkable.. and freaky in so many ways.

Fingerboots
18-02-2005, 12:05 AM
:P When my friend was sleeptalking once, I quote "Mum you can't lock me in the cupboard yet, it's not Christmas!" ;]

Jacko2kn3
18-02-2005, 12:10 AM
LMAO at Dark and Jane's posts. They are funny dreams. My parents haven't said anything about me sleep talking, so I guess I don't! (I think :P)

Fingerboots
18-02-2005, 12:23 AM
:P I usually sleep talk, last one was about a best friend?
I can't remember if I've posted this before but once on like a year 6 camp we were staying in a huge.. building thing. This girl got kicked out of bed because she was naaaaughty and sent to the couch. I woke up in her bed. [Whistles] I went through about 5 rooms and climbed up the bunkbed.

Jacko2kn3
18-02-2005, 12:26 AM
A girl got sent out for being naughty, and you were in her bed?

Keep it family friendly please :P

Fingerboots
18-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Oi, mister clean-mind! :P She was just a rebel so she had to sleep on the cough.
Okay I don't really know how I ended up in her bed o_O
:D

Jacko2kn3
18-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Oh, now I understand :P

Hippygurl101
18-02-2005, 09:13 PM
shocking youth of today.. Sleeptalking is fun. Unless it tends to be swear words.. I cannt explain it..All the pent up agression i suppose.

Jane
19-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Ha ha Ash :') And one time when I was about * thinks * urr.. let's say 4, we were staying in this caravan...all was silent..until

" I WANT MY APPLE " Lmao I don't know where it came from..I hate apples :(

19-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Apparently I sleep talk every night. The only time I remember sleep talking was in Spain, when I was about 7, I laughed out loud (loudly) and then fell out of bed :s
I want my grape :p

Fingerboots
19-02-2005, 02:11 PM
:D That's hilarious. You and your apples Jane :') Sleeptalking is great I reckon.

la-ur-en
19-02-2005, 02:36 PM
This is a good thread, rep added...
I personally think that dreams are something that we can't control, we can't make up our own dreams, like when you lay at bed at night, and you think about happy things like that boy/girl you fancy, and you get to sleep just imagining them, 95% chances are that as soon as you fall asleep you dream of something else... I think dreams are something that nobody can explain, usually, it is to do with what you already know, or past experiences. like say you dream of being on holiday, usually the holiday will be places that you have seen before, and some of the events that are happening in the dream will either be mixed up and put together so it wont make sense, or it will be the same event of what has happened. I don't think it has anything to do with your future or anything as about 90% chance is you will forget the dream, as it is just your brain making up small images in your mind...

19-02-2005, 02:42 PM
This is a good thread, rep added...
I personally think that dreams are something that we can't control, we can't make up our own dreams, like when you lay at bed at night, and you think about happy things like that boy/girl you fancy, and you get to sleep just imagining them, 95% chances are that as soon as you fall asleep you dream of something else... I think dreams are something that nobody can explain, usually, it is to do with what you already know, or past experiences. like say you dream of being on holiday, usually the holiday will be places that you have seen before, and some of the events that are happening in the dream will either be mixed up and put together so it wont make sense, or it will be the same event of what has happened. I don't think it has anything to do with your future or anything as about 90% chance is you will forget the dream, as it is just your brain making up small images in your mind...
Yeah dreams are un-explainable. Apparently you dream every night, but you forget about it. Also apparently (:p) dreams last about 2 seconds which, to me, is just confusing.
And yeah, my dreams never make sense. Like the carpet one :p

EDIT*~*~*~* Sorry if I said this before, if I did, then I forgot...:)

Fingerboots
19-02-2005, 07:20 PM
There is some information about dreaming here. (http://www.sleeps.com/basics.html)
I think you have about 4-7 dreams a night, but when you're drunk you can have a lot more and quicker dreams.

Hippygurl101
19-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah I think I saw somewhere we only remember around 30% of our dreams or something like that. Its quite weird.. There also this weird thing where they can tap into you while your sleeping using flashing lights on yuor eyes, and you can actually realise your in a dream.. Sounds so freaky you could control what happens.

Fingerboots
19-02-2005, 10:02 PM
My friend often has dreams where she knows she's in it so she like controls it and does stuff she'd never usually do.

Jamie
19-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Dreams are made of broken promises

la-ur-en
20-02-2005, 12:23 AM
:S Did you just get that off of the greenday song boulevard of broken dreams :S

21-02-2005, 05:28 PM
There also this weird thing where they can tap into you while your sleeping using flashing lights on yuor eyes, and you can actually realise your in a dream.. Sounds so freaky you could control what happens.
I normally realised I'm in nightmares near the end of them :p But I can only control my dreams when I wake myself up (doesn't happen often :p)

I think you have about 4-7 dreams a night, but when you're drunk you can have a lot more and quicker dreams.
4-7 dreams a night? That's really weird, do they like 'join together' so it feels like one? :s
I think dreams are confusing things :)

Fingerboots
06-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Naw, I don't think they join together you just occasionally only remember one of those each time you wake up.
I usually remember my dream at like 3am then go back to sleep and I forget about it again. xD

Jacko2kn3
07-03-2005, 05:03 PM
I had a few dreams last night that I remember. One was that I went to my nanas with the girl I like (;)) and my cousins were there and we were outside playing football (except the girl she just sat on the bench and watched)...

Weird :P

-JT-
07-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I dream about things i want but dreams have hidden meanings

Fingerboots
07-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I have always remembered this dream from when I was younger, I was in this canoe and there were low droopy trees and all of this honey started to drip off them. It filled up, I got stuck in it and drowned. xD Odd, I don't even like honey!

Max
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Uh-huh, same here, dah-ja-vu, (excuse the spelling).
déjà vu (Means already seen.)

Dreams are so hard to understand. Its unbelievable what the brain can do.

This is what I think:
Basicly dreams are what you are thinking about before you fall asleep.
You cant remember the moment but you where thinking about something, you fall 'asleep' and your brain keeps thinking, but let's say 'you' are not really there to control what you are thinking about, so your brain does it for you and thats where you get the weirdest pictures from.
Eg. If your thinking (Before you fall asleep) about the history test that you hardly learned, your brain keeps thinking about that and makes up a possible future for it. Sometimes your brain is correct, thats when you get a déjà vu, because your recognise it but you cant explain why. Sometimes ofcourse it's not right.
If you do not dream, you wont sleep well and you will be tired the next day.
Dreams are needed if you want to rest, to restore yourself for the next day.

Sometimes I forget my dreams, right after awaking.
Sometimes I still remember them.

Someone said dreams last about 2 seconds, Yes I heard that too, its hard to believe because sometimes you dreamed about something that last a whole day. Its amazing what the brain can do. But it's probably true.

I also heard you get nightmares when it's very hot in the room or when you have a fever (You body also gets hot)

http://www.psywww.com/books/interp/toc.htm
There is alot about dreams there..

Fingerboots
07-03-2005, 06:02 PM
:] That's interesting Max, woohh!

07-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Cool I didn't know that. I always forget the boring dreams I have cos I get too many of them :).
I normally dream what I did during the day, but sometime I dream what I think about before I go to sleep (but not usually)

Fingerboots
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I end up dreaming of the very last thought I had in my mind before I sleep. I don't usually know what this is going to be though.

07-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I forget what I think about before I go to sleep :p

Jacko2kn3
07-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Wow Max, great website! *+ rep*

la-ur-en
07-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Nobody can really explain dreams, as everyones dreams are different, and its not as if there is a video camera in our minds to record everything we are dream or thinking, dreams are just events and experiences we have had before, except all mixed up, half the things that are said in a dream, have been said by yourself or someone else...

Eric30
07-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I had a bad dream once...

I drempt (cant spell :o) that i went on my pc and loged on to habbo. and all my furni was gone.

hehe dont laugh :P

Max
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM

I drempt (cant spell :o) that i went on my pc and loged on to habbo. and all my furni was gone.

You have a habbo addiction my friend xP lol, dreaming about habbo.
I have the weirdest dreams :s

Fawne
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd say Dreams are thing's that may happen in your life, or are there trying to tell you something in a 'riddled' form.
I don't Dream much, or i don't remember them. They're probably a way of warning u of something.

Jacko2kn3
08-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Dreamt :)

This is an honest to god dream I had, it is so strange lol

I was about 9 (I think) and it was the time when Pokemon was popular. I had just been playing on Pokemon Red then I turned it off and went to bed.

My dream was that my mum was standing next to my garage, and I was facing her. Someone's hands came from under the garage, grabbed her heels, and dragged her under. I took my shoes off, and then my socks, but whenever I took my socks off another pair would appear on my feet. I (finally) climbed under the garage and there was a tunnel. I threw a pokeball and Moltres (I think it's the name - rare fire bird on pokemon red) came out, and I started flying on it. Then I woke up, LOL

Scary.

08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Sounds like something my brother would've dreamt many years ago :p
Actually, I don't think dreaming about habbo means you're addicted, I think it just happens when you go on habbo before you go to bed. But I dunno so....:p

RedStratocas
08-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Ahhhh dreams... To clear this up, You have dreams everytime you sleep, but you dont remember it. You have to be woken up by something/someone or even just naturally while you are in one of the deeper sleep states. Most of the time when you wake up on a weekend, you dont have a dream because you wake up when you arent in that deep of a sleep.

Bielby
08-03-2005, 05:46 PM
MY DREAM IS TO HAVE A DREAM

:.bEx.:
08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
omg!! dis is such a long thread!!!! i wrote in it agessss ago lol!!!
i have such weird dreams but the one that sticks in mi mind most woz one i had wen i woz all lil and like 6 years old or sumfing (awww lol!)
it scared me to death at the time now i just larf bout it....

i was at some place like a big faire on a field near mi house and i was walking around and all of a sudden a bouncy castle fell on top of me!

mite sound daft but hey! scary lol! took me a lot of courage to ever go on a bouncy castle again!

08-03-2005, 07:00 PM
omg!! dis is such a long thread!!!! i wrote in it agessss ago lol!!!
i have such weird dreams but the one that sticks in mi mind most woz one i had wen i woz all lil and like 6 years old or sumfing (awww lol!)
it scared me to death at the time now i just larf bout it....

i was at some place like a big faire on a field near mi house and i was walking around and all of a sudden a bouncy castle fell on top of me!

mite sound daft but hey! scary lol! took me a lot of courage to ever go on a bouncy castle again!
I can remember one I had, it was probably my first nightmare, and there's one I can vaguely remember...but they're both so daft I won't post them ;)

jesus
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
I dunno but one thing i do know is: I have had a lot of dodgy dreams. 'Nuff said.

09-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Welcome to my world ;)
For the past few days I've had totally weird dreams (weirder than usual) :s

jesus
12-03-2005, 12:36 PM
I have had some [you could say] rude ones recently ;o

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!