PDA

View Full Version : Online Friends

HUGECOOL
29-05-2006, 07:30 PM
When I made my first online friend, I thought there could be nothing better in the world. I thought, "Here I am in my room and I find this person across the world who understands me and knows what to say every time."

I spent hours talking to people, sharing my thoughts and hearing theirs, but then it hit it. I realized that these wonderful people I've come to know won't be there forever, and one day, we will drift away and eventually never speak to each other again.

I just think its cruel that the Internet's solution to relationships is its own destruction. You make friends easily, but at the same time, you cannot keep them because you can't really know them other than how they think or what their opinions are. Because of that, you both lose interest in each other, and one day, you both depart. Theres always meeting with them (not that I recommend it), but the risks are always there.

I've lost many friends, but I can't say I've felt sad because they left since I never really noticed they were gone. I met new people and forgot the old ones. Time goes by, I suppose, but the memories never fade.

Mentor
29-05-2006, 08:06 PM
You can make aquantences easy, most people feel less inhibited with the internets anonimty, hence people are happyer to talk to total starngers as if they were freinds.
Friends in my opinion, is a step futher, there are plenty of people i talk to regualy on the internet, many i get on very well with in fact? but i dont think id realy class them as friends, in the proper sence, intenet friends as a lower level maybe.
Althogh i do have people who i would class as friends on the internet, people i know pretty well, and for a relativly large exspance of time "/
As long as they have the internet, i can talk to them and vice versa, so i dont see how they can just dissapear, any diffenly from someone you actaly know in the phiscal sence "/
People change over time, but change doesnt nessary stop people from being freineds "/

Uber-Jason
29-05-2006, 08:36 PM
online friends r great, they cant pass judgement on appearance or anything just personality and it good that they only no what u tell them to

Honesty
29-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Isn't it just the same with rl friends?

Neversoft
29-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, I must say Fyta. Your brain never stops ticking, you always have somthing wearth posting. :) But I guess thats nothing that can be solved. Life goes on. As it does with friends in the real world.

Playgirl
29-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I know what you mean, I made some great online friends near the end of last year and we said all this stuff about how we would meet up one day and blah blah and now we're all drifting apart. I hardly ever talk to most of them except one and not as much as we used to.

It upsets me that I've met people who I like so much but live halfway across the world. :(

louder
30-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I must say Fyta. Your brain never stops ticking, you always have somthing wearth posting. :) But I guess thats nothing that can be solved. Life goes on. As it does with friends in the real world.

HUGECOOL
30-05-2006, 02:31 AM
You can make aquantences easy, most people feel less inhibited with the internets anonimty, hence people are happyer to talk to total starngers as if they were freinds.
Friends in my opinion, is a step futher, there are plenty of people i talk to regualy on the internet, many i get on very well with in fact? but i dont think id realy class them as friends, in the proper sence, intenet friends as a lower level maybe.
Althogh i do have people who i would class as friends on the internet, people i know pretty well, and for a relativly large exspance of time "/
As long as they have the internet, i can talk to them and vice versa, so i dont see how they can just dissapear, any diffenly from someone you actaly know in the phiscal sence "/
People change over time, but change doesnt nessary stop people from being freineds "/ I also believe that many interpersonal relationships on the Internet are mostly based on acquaintances, but I too have friends I've known for about 5-6 years now.

Of the people I've known, 2 of them simply never came online anymore, and initially I was worried, but over time I've simply forgotten about them. Recently, one of them came back online, and had trouble remembering things. (He was gone for a 9 month period because of personal issues)

While I also believe that change in people shouldn't matter in a friendship, the changes he went through changed them completely to a point where the friendship had no foundation.

lol Well, thank you very much. :)

I see the only difference in the real world would be that your emotion towards those individuals is perhaps stronger than it would be on the internet. And I agree, life goes on no matter what.

Mentor
30-05-2006, 10:05 AM
[COLOR=Black] I also believe that many interpersonal relationships on the Internet are mostly based on acquaintances, but I too have friends I've known for about 5-6 years now.

Of the people I've known, 2 of them simply never came online anymore, and initially I was worried, but over time I've simply forgotten about them. Recently, one of them came back online, and had trouble remembering things. (He was gone for a 9 month period because of personal issues)

While I also believe that change in people shouldn't matter in a friendship, the changes he went through changed them completely to a point where the friendship had no foundation.

And i exspect you had quite likely changed quite dramatically from his prospective as well, if your in constant contact with someone, the change isnt noticeable, if your cutt of for a significant time period the change becomes very notiocable "/
And is not the exsact same thing still eqaly true of real life, if you went to meet one of your best friends from primary school now, who you haddnt seen in years, would they not have equaly changed "/

Nightrose
30-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I havnt lost much contact with my online friends i actually met one this weekend Lunk. we had been speaking for ages, i wouldnt wnat our friendship to fade out as we are close friends but it might happen soon, I have lost contact with a few i think about them sometimes but i dont really miss them or wonder what they are up to, its only a few people i think that with. Theres some people also who i couldnt bare never talking to again, i just like them to much :) but it is cruel how realationships and friendships fade out and u drift further and further apart

FlyingJesus
30-05-2006, 05:39 PM
No-one ever stops talking to me, I'm just too damned interesting.

HUGECOOL
30-05-2006, 07:43 PM
No-one ever stops talking to me, I'm just too damned interesting.Imaginary friends don't count. ;D

Sir.Pixels
31-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Aww so cute ;]] If you want some new friends you can always come to me
Jordan <3

Nightrose
31-05-2006, 10:42 AM
No-one ever stops talking to me, I'm just too damned interesting.

You wish :P

Craig
31-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't care about all this statistics stuff I'm going to aim to be with my online girlfriend forever xP

Nightrose
31-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I had a online bf but we drifted apart and apart

Mrs Smith
31-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I do not have an online bf right.
but i well love this guy who like lives miles away.
but we won't drift apart s0z ;)

joshuar
31-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Yea, I have a very good friend who lives miles and miles away, but I text her all the time and we are very good, not gonna drift apart sometime soon.
But we will probably meet up soon.

Nightrose
31-05-2006, 05:36 PM
:P Didnt say that everyone drifts apart, just some people do

JT-Fan
02-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I have one really special friend, she lives 4 hours away though. When we aren't chatting on msn we are texting each other etc. I tell her everything about everything. We are also very similar!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!