PDA

View Full Version : New Wii Specs leaked?

HUGECOOL
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
As you may or may have not known, it was confirmed by Nintendo that Wii software at E3 was actually running on Gamecubes with Wii hardware. Why? According to Nintendo.com, the final GPU for the Wii had not been finalized. A question that rises up a lot of times is why its taken Nintendo close to 5 years just to make a GPU?

EasyNintendo.net spoke to Xavier Poix of Ubisoft in an exclusive interview which suggests that Wii is much more powerful then what was originally thought. The following is what was revealed in the interview in terms of specifications of the Wii:

CPU is comparable to an AthlonXP 2400+ to an AthlonXP 3000+. This new revelation shows that the clock speed is possibly between 2.0 Ghz to 2.2 Ghz but can perform much better as AthlonXP’s do.

GPU is comparable to an ATi Radeon X1400 and X1600. In comparison to the Xbox 360, the GPU on the 360 is sometimes compared to an X1800. As for Red Steel it will have 4x Antialiasing and 8x Anisotropic Filtering. Wii will have around 8 Pixel Pipelines (which suggests that if the GPU according to IGN was at 243Mhz, the number of MPixels is at 1944 compared to Gamecube’s 648). GPU processes physics, in the sense that it takes a load off of the CPU. For EDRAM, 2MB for framebuffer, 2MB for Zbuffer and 4mb for texture cache.

RAM Speed at 640Mhz. Gamecube was at 325Mhz.

Even though new specs have been leaked, I believe the graphics will improve over time as they do with any game console. In the end, it is the developers who really have control over the graphics.

Bear-Max
01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
For me, the Wii isn't about graphics anyway. The Wii is pushing away from filling it's shelves with multi-platform games, and is moving towards originality. And I like it.

SnowTwist
01-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Nintendo Arn't One For Rushing Things,
Yes They Were GameCubes,
But Doesnt That Mean If A GameCube Could Give Games And Graphics Like That,
Doesn't It Mean The Final Product Will Be Better?

Billay
01-06-2006, 09:54 PM
For me, the Wii isn't about graphics anyway. The Wii is pushing away from filling it's shelves with multi-platform games, and is moving towards originality. And I like it.
true, so true

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!