PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft ditches Backwards Compatibility

HUGECOOL
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
In an unfortunate move for Xbox 360 fans, Microsoft is planning to ditch backwards compatibility on the Xbox 360 although there are many titles that are already backwards compatible. While Microsoft may not see this as important going further with BC support, this gives the upper edge to Sony and Nintendo, who plans to have complete backwards compatibility support for their systems. Wii will have the best advantage due to familiarity in the architecture with the Gamecube.

[Source] (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151161)

Billay
02-06-2006, 01:12 AM
wow this is big. i don't see why they did this. now theyre gonna slump down big time.

kano
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Bad, but most of the popular xbox titles are backwards compatable (sorry for the spelling) are ready so whats the point in making every title work on 360 when most people are playing 360 games.

and since games are coming down in price now for the 360, i dont see it that important to make a game like tony hawks underground (the first one) work on 360.

Bear-Max
02-06-2006, 01:40 PM
They haven't officially "ditched" backwards compatibility, just said that gamers aren't really bothered about it and they've done what they said they would. And to be honest I think that's true.

I installed the files necessary for backwards compatibility, but since doing so I haven't play an Xbox game on my 360 once, I just don't see the point. If I wanted to play Xbox games I would have kept my Xbox console. I found the PS2 backwards compatibility just as pointless; I suppose I only used it for the Konami Dancing Stage games, but did not do so for any other titles.

While I do see backwards compatibility pointless in most consoles, I think it's actually a great selling point for the Wii. Cheap and legal downloads of games from a whole host of consoles sounds pretty good to me, but whether I'll actually bother to use Nintendo's virtual console that much is something that I shall find out soon enough.

Marky.
02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
who cares about back wards compat.. we wanna be goin forwards not backwards NEX GEN! if you want to play xbox games buy an xbox not a 360

HUGECOOL
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
The thought of havng BC, I think, is for users to have the assurance that they'll have support for title from the previous console and have the convenience of buying 2 systems for the price of one. The 360's price tag very much suggests that the console is worth its value, but when faults like these are found, its would seem very unlikely that things like these would happen.

Suppose a title was released or the Xbox- a really good title- yet without BC, one has no other way of playing that game other than buying an Xbox (assuming they don't own one) or playing on someone else's. While the idea seems convenient for most gamers, I'm unsure as to why Microsoft (the most financially secure company this side of the universe) would want to stop giving support despite small complexities.

Bear-Max
03-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I suppose it's because Microsoft see it as an inconvenience to have to emulate each game individually. But then that was their own fault for going for a completely different graphics card.

Sony.Com
05-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeh thats really dumb, They will lose a lot of money on that. It dumb because they will probs just re make all the xbox games for 360 so people will go out and buy them again but no one actualy will.

Bear-Max
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Well the team behind the BC project have just said there'll be a new update in the next few weeks.

And Xbox Live gets a spring clean tomorrow :D Background downloading - THANK GOD.

kano
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Erm what do you mean 2moz the update came out on yestaday :eusa_danc

Sony.Com
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Lol,
My friend just updated it:p

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!