PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami

Mined
23-01-2005, 12:36 PM
How did you people feel about the Tsunami disaster, i thought i was tragic but i also thought that the American Government and the American aid were pretty slow to react. Can you imagine if this had happened to America, they would expect the whole world to come over and help. But when Sri Lanka and around there got hit, the Americans were very slow. What do you people think about this.
Also did you do anything for the Disaster i know my School did and we are still doing it now, just my form have raised about £100 for the Appeal.
What have you done?

Corey777
23-01-2005, 08:00 PM
How did you people feel about the Tsunami disaster, i thought i was tragic but i also thought that the American Government and the American aid were pretty slow to react. Can you imagine if this had happened to America, they would expect the whole world to come over and help. But when Sri Lanka and around there got hit, the Americans were very slow. What do you people think about this.
Also did you do anything for the Disaster i know my School did and we are still doing it now, just my form have raised about £100 for the Appeal.
What have you done?
Actually, America as well as many other countries were quick to respond. And no, America would not have expected the whole world to aid them if it happened to them. America can afford to help themselves. I think parts of florida experienced extreme weather conditions too. Many houses wrecked. People evacuated. I didn't see them asking for international help?

Ryan
23-01-2005, 08:03 PM
didnt america send like 1.8million to em then 10x it ? ? ? or summit like tha it was

i chucked £5 into a collection point in ikea all i had i would give more but i cant :(

Corey777
23-01-2005, 08:05 PM
didnt america send like 1.8million to em then 10x it ? ? ? or summit like tha it was

i chucked £5 into a collection point in ikea all i had i would give more but i cant :(
Lol, I think the USA has given 10's of millions! I don;t know a precise amount, but it is a LOT! If Canada has given over 80 Million now, USA surely has given more!

Ryan
23-01-2005, 08:08 PM
ah rite i aint up with the latest stuff as soon as i found ma mate was ok i kinda stopped watching the news

GommeInc
23-01-2005, 10:22 PM
England has raised £200, 000, 000!

America is shameful but we all know most of them don't care unless it effects them badly. When the terrorist thing happened they were basically crying.

Concentric
23-01-2005, 11:02 PM
America is shameful but we all know most of them don't care unless it effects them badly. When the terrorist thing happened they were basically crying.
I don't see how you can compare this to the world trade centre attacks, they were deliberate and this was a natural disaster. I think if something had happened to any country they would be pretty worked up about it.

sconicca
24-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I dident donate but i think it is so harsh i no they cant help pit but ya no !

Edited By MissAlice
The Question was - What have you done?
PLEASE DONT POST IF YOUR NOT GOING TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS DISCUSSION.

ttranquility.
24-01-2005, 05:33 PM
I thought it was trajic too. And that so many people have died its just so cruel. And some people make fun of it! How mean ! I mean whats the point? What if you were there and you got squashed by a huge wave? I mean how would you feel ? And i Think it was horrible how the news reporters are all trying to get the "best" story on the Tsunami .

Azela
24-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't see how you can compare this to the world trade centre attacks, they were deliberate and this was a natural disaster. I think if something had happened to any country they would be pretty worked up about it.

Totally argree, however if theres one thing America can be blamed for it's when tornados ripped through california or one of the states washington pledge 8.2 BILLION however for this they have currently only pledge about 2.4 when the disaster and wide spread destruction is twice as much... I know it's their own state but still....

Pulchritudinous
24-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't think we need to keep making threads about it...
But yeah, my mum donated, and we did a thing at school aswell, we all had to bring a pound in.
It's terrible, you shouldn't say America were slow to react, I don't think they were, and you can't just say every single person in that country are selfish, not everyone is, it's just like racism, prejudging.
My love goes out to all the victims, and even those who were not injured, as they are probably still greiving over their dead family members.

Corey777
24-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Totally argree, however if theres one thing America can be blamed for it's when tornados ripped through california or one of the states washington pledge 8.2 BILLION however for this they have currently only pledge about 2.4 when the disaster and wide spread destruction is twice as much... I know it's their own state but still....
Well, do you think that the United States would give more to countries that aren't to fond with America, or to their own country? Think about it.

Jase
25-01-2005, 04:26 PM
ppl r making sick jokes bout the disaster it sickens me when i hear em plus robberys took £100 tsunami donation from meh local newagent!!!!!!!!!!! i have donated £5 in it meh skool is makin a sponsered "roll the egg round the skool field 1st 1 back wins!!!"

Mined
25-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I know i think at the moment America should bury there head in shame :P

Pulchritudinous
25-01-2005, 04:43 PM
ppl r making sick jokes bout the disaster it sickens me when i hear em plus robberys took £100 tsunami donation from meh local newagent!!!!!!!!!!! i have donated £5 in it meh skool is makin a sponsered "roll the egg round the skool field 1st 1 back wins!!!"

Lol thats...different, thumbs up for donating.

ddred
26-01-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't see what you guys got aganist America?
Not everyone here is the way you people say. Yeah there are some selfish people but alot of people in America have helped by donating to the Red Cross which is helping the tsunami victims. See if you noticed we have raised so much money for them it's crazy. Yeah our presidet may do some wierd things but not everyone here is a bad person. I myself donated $20 to my school for a fundraiser. My school raised about $1000 dollars, and thats just one school, for the victims yet you are saying Americans are selfish? Explain to me, please?

Concentric
26-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I completely agree, America is not selfish at all and has donated quite generously, for example according to this source they have donated £350 million dollars; http://wpblog.ohpinion.com/index.php?p=76. I think a lot of people are hugely ignorant about how much is actually given, and I get very irritated by people saying that we should all give all our life savings to such a charity. While i recognise how hugely important the work is, it is not purely down to our nations to provide the funding. We have given generously enough, now i want to see it spent, wisely.

Pulchritudinous
26-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't see what you guys got aganist America?
Not everyone here is the way you people say. Yeah there are some selfish people but alot of people in America have helped by donating to the Red Cross which is helping the tsunami victims. See if you noticed we have raised so much money for them it's crazy. Yeah our presidet may do some wierd things but not everyone here is a bad person. I myself donated $20 to my school for a fundraiser. My school raised about $1000 dollars, and thats just one school, for the victims yet you are saying Americans are selfish? Explain to me, please?

Certainly, that's what I was trying to say, it annoys me when people label everyone in one country 'selfish' or 'rude'.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sconicca
28-01-2005, 04:43 PM
i feel so soz 4 em all :(

.mcgovlau.
01-02-2005, 11:28 PM
get off america's back, im from america and that offends me greatly, ive been donating to the tsunami fund every day during lunch >;(! dont accuse so quickly, ull end up in shame, stuff like that really hurt, whenever there is a donation thing at skool, EVERYONE donates to it, before class starts and during lunch. ive used up all my lunch money sometimes jsut to donate.

ramjet
07-02-2005, 10:24 PM
i gave 25squid and me parents gave 100squid but more is needed

GommeInc
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
America are giving less money to the world and to think they are the richest is worse. In RSS, we earnt that America give 0.12% of its income to chairty which is a bit less than our 10% considering the different sizes.

America think they are to good for this world, but if a Tsunami destroyed half of America (which is unlikely) they would basically be wetting themselves as they don't know what they're doing!

I would donate if America got hit but not as much as I would for somewhere that truly deserves.

Concentric
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
America are giving less money to the world and to think they are the richest is worse. In RSS, we earnt that America give 0.12% of its income to chairty which is a bit less than our 10% considering the different sizes.
I disagree, 0.12% of the "income" of the United States is a lot of money, for example in 2003, the the United States records GDP in excess of 10 trillion dollars. (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004935.html), making 0.12% $120 Billion dollars.

America think they are to good for this world, but if a Tsunami destroyed half of America (which is unlikely) they would basically be wetting themselves
I think it's fair to say that any country would wet themselves in that kind of situation, if every country wet themselves every time there was a natural disaster then nobody would be considering their own internal affairs, which could be just as damaging.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!