PDA

View Full Version : NSPCC

Smiddy
16-06-2006, 03:52 PM
OK, usually I have no problems with charities.

But this charity, I don't understand the logic behind.

They try to help kids who are abused by their parents, or other elder relatives like uncles. (By the way, that is abuse of a physical and sexual abuse).

But they ask for donations of £2 a month?

What would that £2 go towards? Will that really stop a poor child being molestered?
The only suggestion I could possibly think of, for a charity of this nature, would be to start a court case against the offenders (to pay the lawyers or whoever defends them).

It's not as if £2 will really benefit the children is it? :s Surely just support from the public to get more actions taken against the offenders (by the government) would be better for the children involved?

Opinions?

louder
16-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I can see what your saying.
Maybe to buy them things they need for everyday things as if they get beaten up it's not asif thier parents buy them new clothes etc.

Nick.
16-06-2006, 03:57 PM
It's to pay phone line workers, pay workers who go round and fish it out. etc.

Craig
16-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Is it not for homes/places to look after these children if their parents/when more like their parents get locked up for doing these sick sick sick things?

Jasminz0r
16-06-2006, 03:59 PM
with about thousands of people donating to the charity, they do get a bit more then 2 pound when you add it all together ;)

Steven.
16-06-2006, 03:59 PM
OK, usually I have no problems with charities.

But this charity, I don't understand the logic behind.

They try to help kids who are abused by their parents, or other elder relatives like uncles. (By the way, that is abuse of a physical and sexual abuse).

But they ask for donations of £2 a month?

What would that £2 go towards? Will that really stop a poor child being molestered?
The only suggestion I could possibly think of, for a charity of this nature, would be to start a court case against the offenders (to pay the lawyers or whoever defends them).

It's not as if £2 will really benefit the children is it? :s Surely just support from the public to get more actions taken against the offenders (by the government) would be better for the children involved?

Opinions?

I agree with what you're getting at but;

As far as i'm aware of the Charity doesn't get much -- if any funding from the Govermant -- It also pays for extra phones etc.. and to pay little donations to supporters. i think recently there was a Thing on Blue peter that you can send old mobiles in for a charity like this it could be even NSPCC? not sure.

anyhow.

Smiddy
16-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Is it not for homes/places to look after these children if their parents/when more like their parents get locked up for doing these sick sick sick things?I'm not sure; that could be a solution, but they cannot find homes for -Figure taken from a TV advert- 35,000 children (yearly) who suffer such abuse.

And I doubt even a handful of that number actually get put away..

Yeah that could be a solution Nick. but don't charity workers, work for free?

Again, lunk could be right too.

Steven, surely the money would go to benefit the children, not the charity itself?

JT-Fan
16-06-2006, 04:05 PM
To ring the nspcc for advice I think its like 25p a minute coz its not 0800 its like 09001001 or whatever

Steven.
16-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure; that could be a solution, but they cannot find homes for -Figure taken from a TV advert- 35,000 children (yearly) who suffer such abuse.

And I doubt even a handful of that number actually get put away..

Yeah that could be a solution Nick. but don't charity workers, work for free?

Again, lunk could be right too.

Steven, surely the money would go to benefit the children, not the charity itself?

But most of it is based on phone calls. and thinking 'bout the Blue peter thing it was for NSPCC as they done some storys on it. I would take it would be for phone support and for visits to school etc for help and guide-ence. However you do have a point on benefit for the children so i'm unsure.

Maybe this could be a question that could be asked to them in a email or something? it must be stated somewhere on there site.

It's like Most of these 'Donations though, you don't really have a clue on what it is going to. :)

Charlie
16-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Maybe the money goes towards buying stuff for the children, as they could not only be physical and sexual abused, but left with nothing to eat or drink or to wear. Like on the advert, i think it shows a child searching through a trashbag for food so it could be that.

It could also be used to keep the adverts running and stuff like that, to get more people aware of whats going on.

Nightrose
16-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I agree with what you're getting at but;

As far as i'm aware of the Charity doesn't get much -- if any funding from the Govermant -- It also pays for extra phones etc.. and to pay little donations to supporters. i think recently there was a Thing on Blue peter that you can send old mobiles in for a charity like this it could be even NSPCC? not sure.

anyhow.

the blue peter one was for child line which is 0800 number which is free phone

Smiddy
16-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah those are both good idea's (Modern. + Steven.)

I might look on their site when i'm bored (Won't be tonight), you say it'll benefit the charity though, and if it does that, to improove their services, then it isn't instantly benefiting the children.

But I can see what you mean about the lack of goods they have (like food, clothes, drinks).

Steven.
16-06-2006, 04:15 PM
the blue peter one was for child line which is 0800 number which is free phone

Ahh, thank s for correcting me, there is so many of these Charitys around no wonder i get confused. :)

Charlie
16-06-2006, 04:17 PM
We rely on the support of the general public for 85 per cent of our funding - without your support we would have to close our services within six months

I got that from the site, so i guess the £2 a month might help keep the charity going?

Steven.
16-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I got that from the site, so i guess the £2 a month might help keep the charity going?

Proberlly So. It would i guess needs to pay alot just to keep the site up and running, also for adverts, flyers, leaflets and Resources.

Nightrose
16-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Ahh, thank s for correcting me, there is so many of these Charitys around no wonder i get confused. :)

No problem :D :D :D

louder
16-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Probably.

ilovejordan
16-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Im sure the money goes towards helping the charity run, fight court cases against adults or whoever is in the wrong, pay for soliciters[sp?] etc. Also paying for the childs needs etc..

Mentor
16-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Meh, its supposedly to pay for staff costs, phonelines etc. But in realty it doesnt go that way. Most the money is just spent on advertisers the rest is on turning over 1000s of incompleate and useless reports to socal services wasteing there time and money that could actaly be used to help the people "/
Most the time they hand over a report thats useless and accidnly alert abusers of the problem just makeing it worse for them. Hence why the majorty of socal workers hate them so much "/

Adam$
16-06-2006, 08:06 PM
The NSPCC Helpline is a confidential and free service open 24 hours a day

The free helpline means that they have to pay for the calls. I don't think they have to pay for workers (I think its voluntray) but I'm not completley sure.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!