PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

omgabear
24-06-2006, 05:49 PM
It's been bugging me lately, is time travel actually possible?, if so when do you think it will be possible, how will it be made or why is it impossible.

I personally think its impossible and useless. For example, with the Grandfather theory. If you were to go back in time and kill your grandfather before he had your father then theoretically you wouldnt exsist in the first place to kill your grandfather. Therefor nobody could timetravel. Another example, if you didnt like a tree in your backyard, and decided to go back in time to kill it, you wouldnt need to cause you would of already done it.

Also, time as a man made creation states the future is inifite. Therefor, if timetravel was invented in the future we should theoretically know about it, due to the fact that they would of time travelled to this time and us knowing about it, that hasnt happened so its impossble.

Discuss ladies.

I'll give +rep to good responses... not just "LOL I CAN TIME TRAVEL I GOT 58 MAGE LOL LMAO ROFL"

louder
24-06-2006, 05:51 PM
There is actually a way of time travel and how you can be a day forward and then go a day backwards. It's all to do with time difference etc. it's confusing though.

cocaine
24-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I think its possible if you need it? Like if someone you cared about was about to fall off a cliff you could save them? And if theres something else you regret then you can reverse that?

omgabear
24-06-2006, 06:04 PM
There is actually a way of time travel and how you can be a day forward and then go a day backwards. It's all to do with time difference etc. it's confusing though.

Your not reversing what you done before hand, and your going back in time theoretically. Time is a creation by man, your going back a couple of hours yet you still age and those reactions are acted upon you.

Wootzeh
24-06-2006, 06:08 PM
To begin with, it is theorized that a black hole can serve as a wormhole. The vertex of the blackhole (the extremely small point) is thought to be connected the the vertex of another blackhole. It is also possible that these blackholes are in two different universes, yes there COULD be more than one universe. Now to create a "time machine", you would first get somewhere near the blackhole. Now we all know that a blackhole has an extreme gravity force and it is supposedly impossible to travel through one. Now if there was something that could be made or found
to be "antigravity" as in "repelling gravity", travelling through this blackhole could be a possiblity. You would travel, surrounded by this antigravity, to the vertex of the blackhole where the antigravity would have enough force to expand the throat/vertex of the blackhole. This would give you enough space to travel through the blackhole to the other side, where you are in another blackhole. The people on the opposite side (on the side of the blackhole you just travelled through) would encage the whole blackhole with something called cosmic strings.

They would then proceed in warping this encaged blackhole at the speed of light. As theorized, anything that travels at the speed of light will not age. This would cause the blackholes to be de-synchronized and the blackhole warped at the speed of light would be sucking things in at an earlier time than the blackhole on the opposite side. You then travel back through the vertexes, back to your original side, and you will have travelled to a blackhole of an earlier time than the one you were just previously in.
Read that. Dunno if it's what you want

Kasabian
24-06-2006, 06:10 PM
LOL I CAN TIME TRAVEL I GOT 58 MAGE LOL LMAO ROFL

Edit:// Ok, So it was a joke. Personally, I don't believe it will every be possible as:
Other futuristic things need to be invented first. i.e, A plane that can fly to space.

RedStratocas
24-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Haha, that isnt time travel though, and its not that confusing. Its when you are in a place of different time zones, and are on a plane (usually can pass through different time zones in less than an hour), you can arive at a destination before you left. But it isnt like time turned backwards.

And no, traveling back in time isnt possible. If it were, then we would know, because someone would have seen someone from the future by now. That means they didnt invent one, or arent using it.

However, Einstein says that if you travel at the speed of light, time slows down.

omgabear
24-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Read that. Dunno if it's what you want

It states that going at a very fast speed (ie, the speed of light) has different time differences to those at normal working paces. It is true but not time travel, for your not traveling through time you just speed others down.

DMB-Hosting
24-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I doubt this would ever be possible, however if it did i think you could only go back as far as your own life or something?

HellyBelly
24-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't see how it could be possible.
even trying to think about it confuses me.

omgabear
24-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Another thing, matter cannot just be created. It cant be created out of thin air. So if you went back in time, would there be 2 of yourself? :)

I know im asking alot of stonner questions.

Neversoft
24-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Nope, not possible. The world will end befor anyone even comes close to time travel.

Another thing, matter cannot just be created. It cant be created out of thin air. So if you went back in time, would there be 2 of yourself? :)

Have you not seen Back to the Future?

Wootzeh
24-06-2006, 06:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

Read that lol

FlyingJesus
24-06-2006, 06:32 PM
As mentioned in the quote from another forum, anything travelling at the speed of light will not age (ie: time stands still) so theoretically if you move faster than the speed of light you may well move back in time, but it could be that you'd just get "younger" but stay in the same time zone.

However, consider that if time travel was possible, any time that we wanted could be the present, and so time would not actually exist.

ilovejordan
24-06-2006, 06:33 PM
For example, with the Grandfather theory. If you were to go back in time and kill your grandfather before he had your father then theoretically you wouldnt exsist in the first place to kill your grandfather.

Which is why nobody would do that?

I do think it is possible we just haven't figured it out.

Charlie
24-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Just thinking about how it would work and just about time travel it's self is confusing me.

But i don't think it is possible.

RedStratocas
24-06-2006, 06:42 PM

Not many stoner questions begin with "Matter cannot just be created"

PaintYourTarget
24-06-2006, 10:29 PM
http://tinwiki.org/wiki/John_Titor
An interesting read concerning 'Time Travel'.

GJay
25-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I reckon it can be done. You've just got to have the mind to create a time machine that is capable of going faster than the speed of light. Simple ;P

iluvben
25-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Urr just get a tardis.

Splinky
25-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I sent an email over an ocean on a plane to the day before because of the time differences.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!