PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion - Alton Towers

AdamCookie!
16-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Come on then, who else has been stuck over the drop on Oblivion for more than 2 minutes?!?

I've been stuck for 15 ^_^ :P

benjirofl
16-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I was less Than tht lamos. Seconds..

Same on Sheikra..

I'd be scared if i was there for 15 mins !! ++rep. Brave

Expanding
16-07-2006, 11:21 AM
15 minutes! Im scared of heights so I would of fainted up there

AdamCookie!
16-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I was loving it! - Im not scared of heights, thankfully. My cousin is though, she was nearly crying - I had to laugh xD

JackBuddy
16-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Oblivion isn't that high off the ground though.
Although, the drop is the same length as Sheikra.

Nixt
16-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Me going to Alton Towers tomorrow!!
Most I was stuck up there for is about ten minutes... Some idiot got there phone out >.>

AdamCookie!
16-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Oblivion isn't that high off the ground though.
Although, the drop is the same length as Sheikra.

Thats good for people scared of heights though, it's not far from the ground but what you don't realise is that it goes quiet far underground too ;D

Most I was stuck up there for is about ten minutes... Some idiot got there phone out >.>

I hate it when people do that, if you ask the ride op's permission they will let you film if the camera/phone is secured correctly.

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Only for about a minute, Not sure why..

Got stuck on the hill though because someone was drinking I think.. we were right at the top of the hill so it took a while for them to get up it and sort it..
The hills quite steep and the seats are reclined so it was really uncomfortable..

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Only for about a minute, Not sure why..

Got stuck on the hill though because someone was drinking I think.. we were right at the top of the hill so it took a while for them to get up it and sort it..
The hills quite steep and the seats are reclined so it was really uncomfortable..

I could think of worse rides to get stuck on while on the lift hill *Cough* Air and Nemesis *Cough*

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Suppose air wouldn't be nice to get stuck on.. I got stuck on the brake run.. Its not comfy at all.. and the seats stink

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Suppose air wouldn't be nice to get stuck on.. I got stuck on the brake run.. Its not comfy at all.. and the seats stink

I got stuck on the brake run, I had to close my eyes because the floor EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Lololol I was just concentrating on breathing because the guy but my harness on way too tight.. I usually like to make out that im fat so I have a little bit of room

What was on the floor lmaoo?

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Lololol I was just concentrating on breathing because the guy but my harness on way too tight.. I usually like to make out that im fat so I have a little bit of room

What was on the floor lmaoo?

Spit, as always.. But not just a little bit, the whole floor is covered in it!

Tip: If you want your harness loose, make your hands into fists and put them near your belly.. Make sure you pull your harness down first though! - When they try to push it in some more, it wont budge so you have lots of room, which is very very fun on rides such as Nemesis, Air, Oblivion etc - You jump around alot!!!!!

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I just don't sit with my back on the back of the seat, Its really fun on oblivion I think.. Not tried it on air, Tried it on nemesis but my harness went back in on the first hill :rolleyes:

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I just don't sit with my back on the back of the seat, Its really fun on oblivion I think.. Not tried it on air, Tried it on nemesis but my harness went back in on the first hill :rolleyes:

Fun on Rita too, I know one of the ride hosts who usually works on Rita so I can get my harness very loose! - So it JUST registers locked (It does hurt a little though, so be warned!)

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Haha the first time on rita, The lights were delayed or something.. so we went at a different time to when it said we were.. So I had my head forward trying to see something, and when we went.. Ouch!

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Haha the first time on rita, The lights were delayed or something.. so we went at a different time to when it said we were.. So I had my head forward trying to see something, and when we went.. Ouch!

Lights never work accuratly! - It's funny for first-timers when they are waiting for the green and it goes on the 2nd red!

Keep your heads back and hold on tight the tention.. *Shoots off* is mounting..................... GO GO GO!

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Rofl when we were going up the hill, I heard the Go Go Go!
The lights were really off time :rolleyes:

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Rofl when we were going up the hill, I heard the Go Go Go!
The lights were really off time :rolleyes:

Sounds about right from Team Rita ;)

JackBuddy
17-07-2006, 04:22 PM
But doesn't it play automatically, when the ride launches?
Cos Stealth does. ;p

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Haha my picture was terrible seeing that I wacked my head so hard on the back of the seat

And my friend has to go and buy it don't they :rolleyes:

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:26 PM
But doesn't it play automatically, when the ride launches?
Cos Stealth does. ;p

Yeah, but team rita mess with everything..

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Haha my picture was terrible seeing that I wacked my head so hard on the back of the seat

And my friend has to go and buy it don't they :rolleyes:

LOL! - I've got some strange on-ride photos hanging about!

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm not any better lmao

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm not any better lmao

:D I can hear Air calling my name!

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:32 PM
my corkscrew one is funny :p And whenever I see my picture on air, Im always looking up even though i know where the camera is and I look at it :s

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:36 PM
my corkscrew one is funny :p And whenever I see my picture on air, Im always looking up even though i know where the camera is and I look at it :s

My nemesis photo:
Me looking at the camera, with my thumbs up hands streached out about a mile.. And my tounge out which looks like it's being ripped out my mouth and its also slightly blue in colour.

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:45 PM
My arms look like they've been stretched to an abnormal length on my nemesis picture...

AdamCookie!
17-07-2006, 04:47 PM
My arms look like they've been stretched to an abnormal length on my nemesis picture...

Nemesis: The worlds most intense ride

-Soph-
17-07-2006, 04:48 PM
How old is that sign exactly?

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 04:17 PM
How old is that sign exactly?

I think it was put there when Nemesis was constructed.. Sooo!

However, it must be in the top 3 most intense rides.. It's one of the most intense i've EVER been on! (You really don't want to know how many i've been on!)

sock
19-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I've never gone to alton towers! I'm only 11! You made me jealous! Going in Summer Holz :] I woul of gone with skl next week but i'm on holiday.

alexxxxx
19-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I might be going on Saturday, up Oblivion again. What an experience! :D

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I might be going on Saturday, up Oblivion again. What an experience! :D

Oblivion is so good! ;D

Nothing to special when you've rode it 56 times :$

Ryan+Joe
19-07-2006, 05:25 PM
i've been on it and no delays or anything. queue is suprisingly fast for it, i waited for like 5 mins :]
i think that the ride could be better, but it's ok.

Halting
19-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Suppose air wouldn't be nice to get stuck on.. I got stuck on the brake run.. Its not comfy at all.. and the seats stinkOMG. The exact same thing happened to me. Lying down on the station and the seats stink of BO,

Mitch4?
19-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry to pop your bubble, but you can't get stuck hanging over the top of oblivion, you can going up the hill but thats about it. As i've broke down going up the hill, i asked the op guy what would happen if you stopped right at the top of the thing. And he said nothing, the mechagnism they use to hold you over the edge wouldn't move, so you'd turn around the corner at like 5mph, then just go straight down without stopping.

-Soph-
19-07-2006, 07:48 PM
I think it was put there when Nemesis was constructed.. Sooo!

However, it must be in the top 3 most intense rides.. It's one of the most intense i've EVER been on! (You really don't want to know how many i've been on!)

I bet it wouldn't stand up to any of the rides in USA though would it?

OMG. The exact same thing happened to me. Lying down on the station and the seats stink of BO,

I knoww :[
They feel really uncomfortable as well.
On that day my friend lost £20 and almost his phone on air rofl
We knew where the £20 was, It was on the brake run, And still no one would get it..

YellowParasol
19-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Only time it stopped foir me was when it should do, dangling at top where u look down for about 5-10 seconds

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry to pop your bubble, but you can't get stuck hanging over the top of oblivion, you can going up the hill but thats about it. As i've broke down going up the hill, i asked the op guy what would happen if you stopped right at the top of the thing. And he said nothing, the mechagnism they use to hold you over the edge wouldn't move, so you'd turn around the corner at like 5mph, then just go straight down without stopping.

Yes it can..

The "mechagnism" as you call it is actually a brake system, which holds the car at the top. Therefore, should there be any kind of technical problem then the car will stop there "/

-Soph-
19-07-2006, 08:29 PM

Surely it would be possible for it to jam on a brake..

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Surely it would be possible for it to jam on a brake..

It is, lol.

-Illusions.
19-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I went to alton towers, went on Oblivion, hang of the side for... 5 seconds around that, scared hell first time, then i ended up going on it over 8 times ^_^

-Soph-
19-07-2006, 09:12 PM
It is, lol.

Thats what I thought :P

Mitch4?
19-07-2006, 10:31 PM
It's not even a break that holds you down, it's gears. And if they are not working and are free loose because the power has shut down or theres technical difficulties, the car would just slide through

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 10:44 PM
It's not even a break that holds you down, it's gears. And if they are not working and are free loose because the power has shut down or theres technical difficulties, the car would just slide through

:-| - It's a brake system, which involves a chain and 2 drive motors.. If there was a power cut, the car would lock onto the chain and fail to be released!

Im willing to email John Wardley and B&M to prove this!

Mitch4?
19-07-2006, 11:04 PM
:-| - It's a brake system, which involves a chain and 2 drive motors.. If there was a power cut, the car would lock onto the chain and fail to be released!

Im willing to email John Wardley and B&M to prove this!

Okay then you do that. Rofl John Wardley if i remeber correctly didn't make oblivion? He designed nemisis air and somethin g else but i dont remeber it being oblivion.

Also how would you proove it's him?

AdamCookie!
19-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Okay then you do that. Rofl John Wardley if i remeber correctly didn't make oblivion? He designed nemisis air and somethin g else but i dont remeber it being oblivion.

Also how would you proove it's him?

He knows alot more than we do about rollercoasters and their design!

He personally gave it to me at Alton Towers, thats how I know it's him.. Weather you believe me or not, thats your problem.

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Gave what to you?

Kukuthebird
20-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Have you heard? Sorry off topic i know.

Twenty-nine hurt in theme park accident

Thursday July 20, 02:53 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - Twenty-nine people were hurt and two evacuated by helicopter after an accident on a theme park ride on Thursday, the park said.

The front part of the Runaway Mine Train ride at Alton Towers detached from the rest of it and rolled backwards into the rear, the park said in a statement.
It said four people were taken to hospital and 25 others treated on site for cuts, bruises and minor injuries. Health and safety inspectors were investigating the incident and the ride is to remain closed. The remainder of the park stayed open. Alton Towers, one of Britain's most popular tourist attractions, is owned by theme park and attraction group Tussauds.

Im going their in a few days [:

Mitch4?
20-07-2006, 03:08 PM
He knows alot more than we do about rollercoasters and their design!

He personally gave it to me at Alton Towers, thats how I know it's him.. Weather you believe me or not, thats your problem.

Sure so you just randomly went, saw him and he gave you it. Sounds a bit wrong in more ways than one ;)

Also i just got an e-mail from him, and he said that it's impossible to get there. See anyone can say they met him, so i wouldn't believe you unless i met John Warldey k <3

-Soph-
21-07-2006, 03:16 PM
How come so many people have been hung over the top for more time than there ment to then..?

Mitch4?
21-07-2006, 06:27 PM
How come so many people have been hung over the top for more time than there ment to then..?

Because they're lying most probably... I've been to alton towers about 40 times and rode Oblivion more than a human body should do. And must of seen thousands of cars drop through the shaft of doom. I've seen it break down about 20 times, but still even if they're right at the top, you'll stil ldrop down, then land in the block breaks

AdamCookie!
21-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Because they're lying most probably... I've been to alton towers about 40 times and rode Oblivion more than a human body should do. And must of seen thousands of cars drop through the shaft of doom. I've seen it break down about 20 times, but still even if they're right at the top, you'll stil ldrop down, then land in the block breaks

Total BS. I've been on it stuck over the top, seen it..

Oh wait, remember 1999? - It got stuck over the edge and the press coverage was amazing.

-Soph-
21-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I've seen it stuck over the top before..

AdamCookie!
21-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I've seen it stuck over the top before..

:) - It's only n00bs that think that a rollercoaster cannot get stuck on brakes.

What Yesum has being saying is like me saying, OMGZ NO ROLLERCOASTER CAN GET STUCKZ ON THE LIFT HILZ ITS IMPOSSIBLE!1ONEONE

-Soph-
21-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Lololol almost every rollercoaster has broken down on its breaks :rolleyes:

-Illusions.
21-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Omg now im scared too go. :(

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Omg now im scared too go. :(

Yes your going to die.

Lmaoo

AdamCookie!
22-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes your going to die.

Lmaoo

LOLOL! - I died once at Alton Towers, but I came back alive.

"It was on a cold autumn night in 1821, when the thunder of hooves singled the return of the wealthy 15th early Shrewsbury back to his home Alton Towers. As the journey neared it's end, a mysterious figure suddenly appeared in the road, the earl impatiently demanded that the driver why the carriage had stopped - With harm and stretched an old woman pleaded with the early for the charity of a coin. The earl cruelly dismissed her and instructed his driver to head back to the Towers. Scorned, the old woman screamed the curse 'For every branch of the old oak tree that fell, a member of the earls family will die'"

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 10:05 AM
LOLOL! - I died once at Alton Towers, but I came back alive.

Me too :D

AdamCookie!
22-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Me too :D

So much in common, xD.

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I know :O

AdamCookie!
26-07-2006, 04:40 PM
John wardley kindly replied to my email:

John Wardley (removed)

To:
Adam Cooke (removed)

Subject:
Re: Alton Towers.

Dear Adam,

Yes, you are almost right! There is a chain conveyor at the top of the drop which engages with the car (the reverse of the lift conveyor, which propels the car forward, whereas the drop conveyor holds it back). This conveyor is motor driven, and when it senses that the car is hanging over the top, it stops and is held by a brake for a pre-determined time. When the control system is ready for the car to drop, a clutch disengages the chain drive, and the car drops forward.

I hope this solves any arguments!

All the best,

John Wardley.

-Soph-
27-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Haha, that sorts it all then.

[Can see someone will post OMGHZZZLYKPROVEITSHIM!!ONE!"!]

Mitch4?
27-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Subject:
Re: Alton Towers.

Dear Mitchell,

Yes, you are right!

All the best,

John Wardley.

Anyone can make an email. Not hard, and not proof.

JackBuddy
27-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Dear Jack,

Yes, you are uber cool!

All the best,

John Wardley.
This one's real.

-Soph-
27-07-2006, 09:54 PM
No thats like fake ^_^
my one is real.

Dear soph,

Yes everyone knows you are actually very cool.
Hopes this solves any arguments
All the best.
John wardley.

AdamCookie!
27-07-2006, 10:49 PM
:rolleyes: - Like I said, your problem if you don't believe me.

-Soph-
27-07-2006, 10:54 PM
I believe you ^_^

AdamCookie!
27-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I believe you ^_^

xD - Well it's from him, I guess people are just jelous because they want his email address haha!

-Soph-
28-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Don't blame them for wanting it rofl:D

JackBuddy
28-07-2006, 08:08 AM
You two shuold make out. ;p

Mitch4?
28-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Are you joking? I'm asexual anyway so why would i?

-Soph-
28-07-2006, 09:41 AM

ROFL
what makes you think thoughts like that :s

JackBuddy
28-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I can smell love.
Anyway, on-topic: Oblivion is steep!

AdamCookie!
28-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Lmao, you strange person :D

Oh yeah, Oblivion is steep - Too scary for Soph!

-Soph-
28-07-2006, 03:28 PM
LOL.

on my ride photo I have a shiny head K?

AdamCookie!
28-07-2006, 03:30 PM
LOL.

on my ride photo I have a shiny head K?

On my onride photo you can see my restraint is like loose and im jumping about in my chair ^_^

-Soph-
28-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a shiny head though ;[
because it was raining like hell.

I was suffering.

Kukuthebird
01-08-2006, 02:30 PM
um i went their 2 weeks ago. i rocked.

i was up their for.. um, 3 seconds? but when we left about an hour later it closed down. a couple of groups from my school where up their for 15.

;D if i was i would have died.

AdamCookie!
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Oblivion actually holds you at the top for 2.9348 seconds.

Hahahaha!

-Soph-
02-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Oblivion actually holds you at the top for 2.9348 seconds.

Hahahaha!

hahaha couldn't they have just made it 3 seconds:rolleyes:
Trust them..

.:.:jjm261:.:.
02-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Adam Sometimes You Can Be Really Sad :P

Anyway I Went On Oblivion I Was Actually Looking Forward To It Then I Heard That Strange Moovie Thingy

"This Ride Is Opperated By Magnets If One Of The Magnets Slip You Will Die"

-Soph-
03-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Rofll that video made me laugh when I first went on it ^_^

JackBuddy
03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
I was bored... OK?!
http://www.towersnerd.com/videos/oblivion/OblivionQueue1High.wmv

-Soph-
03-08-2006, 09:38 AM
everyone does strange things when your bored ^_^

Frodo13.
08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Oblivion is there for almost 3 seconds? Seems much longer, I fitted a whole convo in whilst wating. It went something along these lines

'O my God IM BRIKING IT, O my God!!!'

Halting
08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
I can't wait. I'm going to for the second time this year in a week today (15th). Last time was the first time I had ever rid a steel rollercoaster. I have the oppurtunity many times before - twice in Orlando. But I was scared of them, then I went to Alton Towers earlier in the year and rid out Spinball Whizzer - loved it. Then Rita - Loved it even more. Finally, Air - Loved it even more!

What kind of feeling do you experience on Nemisis, Oblivion and Cork***** - I still haven't rid a rollercoaster with a cork***** where you are physically sitting down (rather than lying down like on Air). And what does it feel like when you're riding a Loop? Still haven't experienced one of them either.

-Soph-
08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
What kind of feeling do you experience on Nemisis, Oblivion and Cork***** - I still haven't rid a rollercoaster with a cork***** where you are physically sitting down (rather than lying down like on Air). And what does it feel like when you're riding a Loop? Still haven't experienced one of them either.

Nemesis is great =D Theming definatly adds to it, Oblivion feels what it looks like, And you bang your head a lot on corkscrew =D
Oh and on loops, It doesn't actually feel like your upside down (well I don't think it really does, its over so quickly)

Frodo13.
08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
I can't wait. I'm going to for the second time this year in a week today (15th). Last time was the first time I had ever rid a steel rollercoaster. I have the oppurtunity many times before - twice in Orlando. But I was scared of them, then I went to Alton Towers earlier in the year and rid out Spinball Whizzer - loved it. Then Rita - Loved it even more. Finally, Air - Loved it even more!

You experiance loops on Air? I wouldnt go on On the Corkscarew as it about breaks your neck!!! Nemisis is good, I love that <3

Halting
08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Air is full of twists or whatever they're called. I thought they were called cork*****s, aren't they?

-Soph-
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah you can't exactly describe corkscrew as smooth:rolleyes:
Mmm, what do you expect for its age anyway:P

Halting
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Is cork***** like Rita? Because Rita shuffles your head alot, or is it worse? If it's worse then I'm not going on it. I've learnt how to handle with Rita. Keep your head back :).

AdamCookie!
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Corky bashes your head about ALOT more than Rita, but it's still a good ride.

Rita doesn't bash your head if you follow boarding instructions..

Keep your head back and hold on tight the tention is mounting

If you follow that, you'll have a comfy ride. If not, you'll proberbly have a saw neck.

-Soph-
08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah if you put your head forward on rita, it does hurt a little.

Halting
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
As I experienced...

AdamCookie!
08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
As I experienced...

You learnt the hard way then.

-Soph-
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
^_^ so did I..
it was actually worse for me, Because I put my head right out to talk to my friend (the lights were.. on 5, counting down when I did it) Two seconds later..
Off we go:rolleyes: Smash my head goes on the back of the seat
Bah still fun though =D

Halting
09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
When I was on Rita two teachers from my school were that. That was one heck of a coincedence. Our school is 150 miles away from that park, and to see TWO teachers in the same place, in the same park, on the same ride at the same time right in front of you is some coincedence.

brownfromtown
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
sorry to sound stupid but ive never been on oblivion, why cant you get your phone out at the top?

Frodo13.
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Rita = Whiplash

-Soph-
10-08-2006, 05:47 AM
sorry to sound stupid but ive never been on oblivion, why cant you get your phone out at the top?

Oh, because if you drop it, It will seriously hurt someone.
Health and saftey really:P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!