PDA

View Full Version : Runaway Mine Train crash at Alton Towers.

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, you read the title correct.. The RMT at Alton Towers has crashed, 26 people injured however only 3 that have serious injuries. In total their where 46 people on the ride at the time of the accident.

BBC News says:

Three people have been taken to hospital and 26 others treated for cuts and bruises following an accident on a ride at Alton Towers.

It happened when the front carriages of the Runaway Mine Train became separated and rolled back into the rest of the ride at the Staffordshire theme park.

It took 40 minutes to evacuate the train which was full with 46 passengers at the time and has since been closed.

Alton Towers and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating the crash.

Two women were flown by air ambulance to North Staffordshire Hospital while a third person was taken by land ambulance.

'Rickety rails'

A spokeswoman for the theme park said: "The health and safety of our guests is our primary objective. The ride has been closed and will remain so whilst a thorough investigation is carried out."

The rollercoaster ride is one of the older attractions at the theme park.

Its description on the theme park's website invites customers to "rattle along the rickety rails and mine shafts, past trees and rivers, on a speeding locomotive that's out of control - and getting faster every second."

The rest of the theme park remains open.

Kardan
20-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Some people on this forum have gone to Alton towers today...

Craig
20-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank heck no-one is dead.

Wizzdom
20-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Ditto.

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Some people on this forum have gone to Alton towers today...

They'll be fine, I don't think anyone who was on the ride is in a life threattening situation - My guess is that everyone is screaming whiplash (Wouldn't you? ;))

-Soph-
20-07-2006, 01:53 PM

I know..

Don't think its going to do much for the rides reputation when they start running it again..

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I know..

Don't think its going to do much for the rides reputation when they start running it again..

Im glad no-ones dead.

As for the last comment, well at least that cuts the queues so I can have more rides ^_^ - Only joking, I don't think it will make any difference to its reputation - Accidents happen, and this certainly won't be repeated. :rolleyes:

-Soph-
20-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I guess.. How much damage has it done to the actual ride..?
Excluding the carriages

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I guess.. How much damage has it done to the actual ride..?
Excluding the carriages

Couldn't say yet, but after reading stuff about the accident..

It appears that the train will just need replacing, and possible a little track work - Don't quote me on it though.. It might need less or more.

The Runaway Mine Train and Congo River Rapids will be closed until further notice, I advise you contact the park for more information.

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok, this sounds like a bad accident. But you gotta remember that the press over exhaguarate (sp?) things like this. When Slammer got stuck, on various websites and papers it said stuff like this:

"People were screaming, they were stuck upside down for about half an hour"

When it was upright...

The stuff written above could be true, but I'm just saying that it might not be as serious as it sounds!

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Ok, this sounds like a bad accident. But you gotta remember that the press over exhaguarate (sp?) things like this. When Slammer got stuck, on various websites and papers it said stuff like this:

"People were screaming, they were stuck upside down for about half an hour"

When it was upright...

The stuff written above could be true, but I'm just saying that it might not be as serious as it sounds!

Yep, I already thought that anyway ^_^!

However, it's confirmed by Tussauds that what they said was true about the train detatching.

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I blame John Wardley for designing it badly! (joking)

Why didn't the operator press the e-stop button? He/she should have seen the train come apart.

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I blame John Wardley for designing it badly! (joking)

Why didn't the operator press the e-stop button? He/she should have seen the train come apart.

The detatch happened in the "tunnel" where you go past the rapids, there are no CCTV cameras in there, so the ride-op wouldn't have known.

I don't understand why they closed CRR's though, but there must be a reason. :rolleyes:

Edit (News update): Six Patients in total were taken to North Staffordshire Hospital, four of them have been released after receiving treatment for minor injuires.
Two Patients are still receiving treatment and maybe kept in overnight for observation. No other information is being released at this time.

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Hmmm, if the tunnel is that big, then there should be CCTV! But the op should have seen it. I mean, a train coming apart!?

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Hmmm, if the tunnel is that big, then there should be CCTV! But the op should have seen it. I mean, a train coming apart!?

Their are CCTV cameras before you enter, and after.. However I do agree that they should now install CCTV in the tunnel.

Vibe
20-07-2006, 07:53 PM
This dont go that fast.

So not much damage was caused.
thank god.

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 08:01 PM
This dont go that fast.

So not much damage was caused.
thank god.

26mph is fast enough to cause damage.

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 08:19 PM
About the area thing, I remember when Stealth was down, that area was closed. The same applied for Slammer when it was stuck, all of Ranger County, and from Colossus' turn around was fenced off.

Impossible
20-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I was there and all i can say is it was worse than you think i saw the train de-rail from a cable-car thing..

OMG it looked horrible but at least i weren't on it :eusa_pray

JackBuddy
20-07-2006, 08:38 PM
I know what happened now... I think.

Basically, the front of the train came off, (In the tunnel) the e-stop button was pressed, so the rest of the train rolled backwards down the 'drop' with the front eventually colliding into it. I wouldn't really say it was going 26mph at the time.

Ryan+Joe
20-07-2006, 08:57 PM
It's a shame, it's actually a good ride.
At least no one died.

Vibe
20-07-2006, 08:59 PM
indeed.

Is it reopen?

Impossible
20-07-2006, 09:17 PM
indeed.

Is it reopen?

Nope...

Ryan+Joe
20-07-2006, 09:28 PM
indeed.

Is it reopen?
Nope, an investigation has to be done :p
I'm sure it will open again though, it was popular and a ride for all, and one of the parks oldest rides with only one collision

iGroves
20-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I remember that ride, it was amazing, the first ride I went on there when I went to Alton Towers last time.

I hope everyones alright though.

AdamCookie!
20-07-2006, 09:39 PM
indeed.

Is it reopen?

No the RMT will be closed for about 2 weeks until further investigations are completed. :rolleyes:

Halting
20-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow. That was my first ever roller coaster and it was a good'n.

JackBuddy
21-07-2006, 08:08 AM
No the RMT will be closed for about 2 weeks until further investigations are completed. :rolleyes:
I would have thought longer than that!
Heh, the site describes it as an "Adrenaline buster". Yeh right!

AdamCookie!
21-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I would have thought longer than that!
Heh, the site describes it as an "Adrenaline buster". Yeh right!

Well the sun describes it as a white knuckle ride!

-Soph-
21-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Congo River Rapids will be closed

Is that because they have to have an investigation on the accident and it happened in the tunnel where the rapids run through?

JackBuddy
21-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Probably. ;P

Expanding
21-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Does that train ride go backwards, Im trying to place it in my head?

Ryan+Joe
21-07-2006, 08:59 PM
uh, the tunnels so loud when you enter it.

JackBuddy
22-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Basically, whilst going up an incline, the front of the train got detached from the rest, and rolled back down, into the rest of the train. It wasn't going fast, so I don't see how there were so many injuries. perhaps it's media over-exhaguration.

AdamCookie!
22-07-2006, 08:37 AM
River rapids are re-open, RMT is still closed.

The media have twisted it, the mirror seem to think the RMT broke free and riders where threw into mid-air! - It's also a white knuckle ride apparently - ROFL.

The Star think the RMT crashed at 80mph.

The mirror call it Alton Terrors.

I can't stop laughing at some of the things the media are saying!

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 09:24 AM
The Star think the RMT crashed at 80mph.

Lmaooo at that.

AdamCookie!
22-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Like, next time i'll queue 2 hours for RMT instead of Rita!

It goes like about the same speed omgzzz you av dis little lapbarz right n omgzzzzz itz so fazts! - Erm, I don't think so.. Stupid media, they need to get their facts right. xD

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Rofl the lapbars are safe, Rides like the pepsi max have lapbars..

AdamCookie!
22-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Rofl the lapbars are safe, Rides like the pepsi max have lapbars..

Plus a seatbelt :P

-Soph-
22-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Forgot about that:rolleyes:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!