PDA

View Full Version : Sony Wii-mote on the way?

HUGECOOL
20-07-2006, 06:33 PM
According to a report on Japanese language website Tech-On!, a new Sony patent has been discovered which describes a motion sensing device which appears very similar to the Wii remote, albeit using an EyeToy-style camera to work out a controller's position.

The patent, which is also viewable on the Japanese patent website (http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg_e.ipdl) under the patent code 2006-178948, reveals the following:

"This invention focuses on an object with a video camera and... maps the location and direction of an object to three-dimensional space. The three-dimensional information on an object is stored in memory and the rendering of the virtual object in the scene on a video screen, being used for control of action in a game program."

Sony have already received notable feedback for the more limited tilt sensors built into the new PlayStation 3 controller. The new patent appears to show a controller even closer in form and concept to the Wii, with a wand like controller moving in front of camera in order to track its movement in 3D space - though the method of creating the control is different, since it uses visual information gained from the camera, rather than locational information from the controller.

As well as outward similarities to the Wii, the patent also recalls technical demonstrations given by Sony prior to the PlayStation 2 launch, in which a wand like controller was used to control a simple flight simulation. These demonstrations are generally assumed to have been the genesis of the EyeToy line of titles, and indeed in this case, the camera featured in the patent is assumed to be EyeToy related.

However, as with all patents, it is unclear whether this invention is something that is actively in development for PlayStation 3, or whether it is simply a technical patent for something Sony is still experimenting with. Nonetheless, elements of the patent recall the Sony The Eye of Judgement demonstration, which used spatial recognition of cards as part of gameplay.
I have to quote now

..and we're certainly not interested in gimmicks.

You can watch the highlights of the Press Conference here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4)

Sony.Com
21-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Intresting..

I thought they already had a controller like that comming out for PS3?

It was based off the PS1..

HUGECOOL
21-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Intresting..

I thought they already had a controller like that comming out for PS3?

It was based off the PS1.. No, it's a brand new (using the term new very lososely) apparatus Sony patented for the Eye Toy.

This is basically what it is.

http://www4.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/NSAPITMP2/web204/IMAGE/20060721103913798457.gif

190- Eye Toy
60- Console
80- Television
301/303- 'Wand'

Basically, it'll use visual information to interpret data from the wand and translate it to the game.

Although both the Wii-mote and this wand seem very similar, it's pretty obvious that the Wii-mote still has the advantage because it uses sensors and not a camera, therfore, being in line of sight isnt a requirement when using the Wii-mote.

Of course, mostly all patent die, but the similarities between the two wands show's Sony's lack of creativity.

Neversoft
21-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Need I say they copy Nintendo with basically everything?

Barwy
21-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Knowing Sony, they will copy something clever and try and make money out of it. They always do

JonJon
21-07-2006, 03:55 PM

What, one thing?

And the PS3 has the same basic controler design as the beloved PS2.

Sony.Com
21-07-2006, 04:02 PM
No, Sony does not copy nintendo with everything.

INFACT nintendo is copying Sony by putting internet on their DS since PSP had it last june. Also nintendo copyied sony when the game cube came out when they switched to disks not cartidges. Also the PS3 internet was releced before nintendo announced their new system will has internet.

Nintendo copy sony A LOT more.

Bear-Max
21-07-2006, 04:28 PM

INFACT nintendo is copying Sony by putting internet on their DS since PSP had it last june. Also nintendo copyied sony when the game cube came out when they switched to disks not cartidges. Also the PS3 internet was releced before nintendo announced their new system will has internet.

Personally, I think that's rubbish. Sony do steal and copy, and the lawsuit against Immersion showed that - there's even another claim of patent infringement waiting to go to trial at the moment: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6153997.html.

Neversoft
21-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Way to go, woo. Proved me wrong! NO.
You really think Nintendo would stick with cartidges after the retro period, even though they found alot of things wrong with them? No, not at all. So you're basically saying anything with disc's copied sony? Oh no, that means all the DVD players did aswell! Also, Nintendo had plans for the internet on the DS even befor the PSP was released. Do some research next time please. Oh, and finally. Playstation 3 internet was not announced befor Nintendo's... As I said... Reeesearch... and you'll find many sites saying Sony copy others, and none the other way round. :rolleyes_

Charles
21-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Way to go, woo. Proved me wrong! NO.
You really think Nintendo would stick with cartidges after the retro period? No, not at all. So you're basically saying anything with disc's copied sony? Oh no, that means all the DVD players did aswell! Also, Nintendo had plans for the internet on the DS even befor the PSP was released. Do some research next time please. Oh, and finally. Playstation 3 internet was not announced befor Nintendo's... As I said... Reeesearch... and you'll find many sites saying Sony copy others, and none the other way round. :rolleyes_
Pwned.

SnowTwist
21-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Oh No......
Sony are just taking the mick this time.....
Nintendo have always been better and sony are just jealous.
And a big LOL to Sony Fanboy, JohnZ.
Get your facts right next time. :D

lEddy
21-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I'd Thought Nintendo Are better Sony & There games Like.. Such as the
Playstation , Playstation 2, Playstation 3 , PSP. But Then Again Nintendo
Made SNES, Nintendo 64 , Segadrive ( Not sure about it) , Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Sp, Old-Skool Gameboy's And Gamecube. & Now the Nintendo DS
But Now.. Nintendo Will Release Nintendo Wii™ (November 2006).
But I Like Sony™ & Nintendo They make Excellcent Qualite Games.
And this is Just my What i Think.

Azza
21-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I'd Thought Nintendo Are better Sony & There games Like.. Such as the
Playstation , Playstation 2, Playstation 3 , PSP. But Then Again Nintendo
Made SNES, Nintendo 64 , Segadrive ( Not sure about it) , Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Sp, Old-Skool Gameboy's And Gamecube. & Now the Nintendo DS
But Now.. Nintendo Will Release Nintendo Wii™ (November 2006).
But I Like Sony™ & Nintendo They make Excellcent Qualite Games.
And this is Just my What i Think.

segamega drive was SEGA thus sega in the name ^^ + u forgot NES

anyway its normally third parties who make sony games and bout half of nintendos games r third parties ^^

anyway looks like sony gonna make big fall and nintendo is gonna rise ^^

lEddy
21-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Azza Thanks For Remindeding me About The NES. My favourite Game on the SNES Was super Mario Smash Bros Nintendo are A hard working company.

SimplyTech
21-07-2006, 09:22 PM

Right Ds had internet before psp as the ds' wifi capabilities were announced before psps and nintendo invented wifi that and pokemon is what kept them afloat in the gameboy years. Do you really think sony invented disks? Nintendo didnt use disks before this because there was no need for them as cartriges could hold enough space for them and as for ps3 internet once again nintendo invented wifi so they didnt copy that and sony didnt invent the internet either.

Sony nicks everything even the eyetoy was out on pc first i had it when i was younger although obviously it wasnt actually called the eyetoy and nintendo invented dpads etc and the whole concept of handheld gaming so really the entire psp is 'nicked'

Dudeitsme
22-07-2006, 03:47 AM
All i have to say none of you cant say anything about which is better till you own all 3 consoles, so just stop the arguing.

HUGECOOL
22-07-2006, 05:46 AM
All i have to say none of you cant say anything about which is better till you own all 3 consoles, so just stop the arguing.
If you've read correctly, which I see you haven't, you can see that no one is attacking next-gen consoles' abilities- just their physical properties.

PriceTags
22-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Right Ds had internet before psp as the ds' wifi capabilities were announced before psps and nintendo invented wifi that and pokemon is what kept them afloat in the gameboy years. Do you really think sony invented disks? Nintendo didnt use disks before this because there was no need for them as cartriges could hold enough space for them and as for ps3 internet once again nintendo invented wifi so they didnt copy that and sony didnt invent the internet either.

Sony nicks everything even the eyetoy was out on pc first i had it when i was younger although obviously it wasnt actually called the eyetoy and nintendo invented dpads etc and the whole concept of handheld gaming so really the entire psp is 'nicked'

Nintendo didn't invent WI-FI ITSELF.
They invented their wi-fi gaming system thingy.

But he does have a point, DSs Wi-Fi capabilities were announced in... 2004?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!