PDA

View Full Version : Anti Cyber Bullying!

Ashhizzle
28-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Many people have been hearing about the anti cyber bullying campaign launched by AOL that has many people backing its cause and there is currnetly a 'green shorts' Group in welcome lounge. Helping to fight cyber-bullying

Menshevik
29-07-2006, 12:49 AM
I got suspended from school for cyber bullying another person in the school.
It's total bs.

Art
29-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Whats cyber bullying...... i know what bullying and cybering is.... but not together..... and Jesus did it in r/l so it seems like im missing something. :)

Y!
29-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I think sites should personally do more to stop eBullying it shouldn't be left up to ISPs.

alteration
29-07-2006, 06:49 AM
cyber bulling is bullying someone on a virtual game or chat or site:)

Art
29-07-2006, 07:06 AM
ohhhhh i thought it involved cybering ;) rofl and Jesus said he did it in rl and yeh....

alteration
29-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Its quite simple its online bullying Cyber... Its no joke;)

Shatterstar
29-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Well on a place like Habbo it's kinda hard to avoid what I'd call cyber bullying, everyone just insults everyone over nothing because they know they can get away with it and won't suffer the consequences.

I don't some how see how people wearing green tops will help..

Rizla
29-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Being honest, how sad do you have to be to get bullied on the net though? :rolleyes:

Art
29-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Thats true rofl. Cant you just.... leave ;o

brandon
29-07-2006, 09:42 AM
True Ryan, especially if you don't know the person in r/l, you can say whatever you like to them and they can't physically hurt you anyway.

Rizla
29-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah, which is why people flame so badly on the internet when they wouldn't do it IRL. If you get affected by something on the internet you have to be either really touchy or really sad. I suppose if it's somebody you know IRL you could get affected, since some people use the net to "escape" their life, if it's following them then it's a bit harsh.

[Chris]
29-07-2006, 10:04 AM
well you dont see that much bullying on habbo but i agree websites should do more

brandon
29-07-2006, 10:08 AM
well you dont see that much bullying on habbo but i agree websites should do more
It's not really bullying on habbo, although there's racism and people just provoke you and get on your nerves.

[Chris]
29-07-2006, 10:10 AM
well there can be sometimes but most is racism because someone changes their skin colour to black

WOW someones white and someone else is black its only a skin colour

Nightcrawler
29-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Cyberbullying should be stopped!!!!!

but on Messengers you reject the bullys invite to add you, you must be stupied if you accept and you no there a bully

Rizla
29-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't see the big deal with it. And people are scared to admit they get bullied in real life, right? How bad must it be to say you're being bullied by a bunch of spotty kids who can't find a bird? o.O

brandon
29-07-2006, 10:23 AM
well there can be sometimes but most is racism because someone changes their skin colour to black

WOW someones white and someone else is black its only a skin colour
and on habbo it's only even a pixel colour ;l

brodeo
29-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Omigod, those pixels in green shorts really made me think about the cause of cyberbullying. Thankyou for posting this absolutely splendid news.

Charlie
29-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, i think that by people on habbo wearing the green shorts, it may make habbos more aware of the cyber bullying that is happening. Also, people can say things over the internet, such as racist comments, or about someones family etc. that can really hurt some people, even if its not being said to them in real life, it could still hurt them.

JackBuddy
29-07-2006, 12:22 PM
At least they're trying something!

FrozenWhisper
29-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Tbh, people have TRIED too bully me on habbo, doesn't work thoyugh. Even in r/l I just don't give a damn. I mean, someone followed me round habbo calling me a "man" when I was non HC cause I was wearing boyish clothes. It's like, WOW YOURRR INSULTING MY PIXELZZZ!!11!!1ONEONESPACEBAR4543!!2
:rolleyes:

Y!
29-07-2006, 05:27 PM
People who try to bully you online probably get bullied at school lol

And sometimes some comments about people's family might affect them if they are going through a certain thing in their life like their mum or dad dying or having cancer or something...

Barmi
29-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Tbh, people have TRIED too bully me on habbo, doesn't work thoyugh. Even in r/l I just don't give a damn. I mean, someone followed me round habbo calling me a "man" when I was non HC cause I was wearing boyish clothes. It's like, WOW YOURRR INSULTING MY PIXELZZZ!!11!!1ONEONESPACEBAR4543!!2
:rolleyes:
I know exactly what mean. Some people, including yourself and I, are like that. No matter what anyone calls you, you know it's not true, so you have nothing to be worried about.

However, there are some people who might be in a more fragile state of mind, due to an event that has affected them in real life, and even the slightest trigger-word could send them spiralling to tears.

Bullies are usually filled with jealousy and envy: "Ooh, let's bully that kid because he is more intelligent than us..."
OR
Bullies are immature and big-headed fools who like to show off: "Ooh, let's bully that kid because he is not as rich as we are. Look, he's not got HC, 'coz he can't afford it!"

Bullies are the ones who usually stereotype someone. Cyber-bullying, (IMO), is not as bad as physical 1-to-1 bullying, however it affects people differently. As I've said, only in my opinion is it not as bad, because it isn't something that affects me. On the other hand though, there may be individuals that are more emotional and sensitive, who can really take things to heart.

As someone previously said; a lot of cyber-bullies will be those who have been bullied in real life. Not necessarily always true, but is an interesting pattern to follow. Those who have been bullied (generally) feel inferior. It revolves around power. The bully feels powerful. The victim feels inferior. Say... in a school environment, with that bully still present, how is that victim going to get the chance to "show off" his power from bullying other people. The answer is that it would be difficult for them to.

With the Internet expanding as it is, this "victim" could log into a website on the Internet, such as Habbo, which is a totally different environment to say... their school. There are no chains of power already established, and with such a large population, even if a "head bully" was to exist, there would be no way that everyone would be aware of it. Thus, this "victim" as I put it, now has the reassurance he requires. He has the ability to bully others, where he can pretend to be someone he's not. He might be a little 1 metre tall sprout, but on the Internet, he could be any height, his dad could be a murderer, and he could be "well 'ard".

If this victim wants reassurance that they are powerful, they are not going to start saying "sorry, sorry" if they tug on someone elses heart string. They feel better for themselves, and no longer feel "the bottom of the food chain". At school, they may be the victim; but at home they may be the bully. Cyber bullying is all psychological and emotional. Every human has emotions, and is thus succeptible to emotional bullying. However, with age, they will learn to shield their emotions from other people on the Internet, and to take things with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, if someone's parent had recently died from cancer, and someone started spouting "hahahaha your mum's dead coz of cancer", although that idiot might not have known that the victim's mum had died of cancer, it might have flicked a switch in their mind which reduced them to tears in seconds, remembering the negative aspects of her illness, and ultimately her death. If this was a random spouting, it's bad. If it was a bully targeting that person whilst saying it, that's 50 times worse! (Obviously.)

It's hard to totally get rid of cyber-bullying, simply because some people are affected in different ways. Some content may not affect person A, but emotionally hurt person B. Where do you draw the line, and call it bullying? In my opinion, that would be when it is targeted at an individual, with the intention of offending. Whether it does offend them or not, that's not part of the question. If it could be interpreted as offensive, and is targeted at a specific person, it's clearly bullying.

Putting it clearly though: how difficult is it to remove all bullies from one school? Now think of all over the world at once. There is no way of monitoring absolutely everything on the Internet. Why would ISPs spend time to track down "cyber-bullies"? Raising awareness about them is all well and good, but I cannot see other ISPs saying "oh, let's go and hunt down cyber-bullies even though we're not being paid for it". Charitable people would do that, but not everyday people who are working for an ISP company for a living.

As much as I hate bullying, isolation and degredation of others, there is very little that can be done. Bullying has gone on as long as humans have existed, and will not stop just because *1* ISP has decided to raise awareness on the matter. Bullying will never (dare I say "ever"?) go away. More bullies might get punished for their actions, but they will never go away. The circle will just repeat itself. The bullies bully a group of people. In turn, a small number of that group become bullies themselves, who bully other small groups. A number of people out of those small groups begin to bully other people... and so on.

Actually, I think with this rant I've gone 5 miles off-course, and said nothing wholly valuable, but I sorta got carried away and... I'll post it anyway.

Condas
31-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I Dont realy understand this

Lubricant
31-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Being honest, how sad do you have to be to get bullied on the net though? :rolleyes:

Erm. It's more like how sad do you have to be to bully someone on the internet?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!