PDA

View Full Version : 'Plot to blow up planes foiled'

timROGERS
10-08-2006, 08:13 AM
'Plots to blow up planes' foiled

A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate up to three explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.

Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are reported. MI5 has raised the UK threat level to critical - the highest possible.

According to MI5's website, critical threat level means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

Home Secretary John Reid confirmed that there had apparently been a plot "to bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions causing a considerable loss of life".

According to BBC sources the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born.

In other major developments:

# The US Department of Homeland Security said the increased threat level applied to commercial flights originating in the UK

# The Home Office confirmed there had been three meetings overnight and on Thursday morning of the Cabinet's emergency committee, Cobra, chaired by Mr Reid, to discuss the terror alert

# A spokesman for Number 10 said Tony Blair had briefed US President George Bush on the situation during the night

# All passengers were banned from taking hand luggage onto flights, while the government warned of delays. Heathrow Airport has warned travellers to stay at home if possible

# Heathrow airport operator BAA asked that all in-bound services not already in the air be suspended, National Air Traffic Services said

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said he did not think the police believed an attack was imminent.

"The reason for raising the threat level is in case there is some other sub-plot, back-up plot around this that the police aren't aware of," he said.

Scotland Yard said in a statement that their investigation into the alleged plot was a "major operation" which would be "lengthy and complex".

"We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds."

Prime Minister Tony Blair is on holiday in the Caribbean, but Downing Street said the police operation was undertaken with his full support and he had been "in constant touch".

Read the full article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm)
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/icons/video_live.gif (http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/shared/player/player.stm?title=Latest%20from%20BBC%20TV&clipurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/live/bb/rm/video/now3_bb.ram&cs=news)

?!?jAy2k6!?!
10-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Old news :eusa_danc

Craig
10-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Old news :eusa_danc

Not really. Anyway well pointed out Tim I been following this this morning after hearing about it all over the news.

YouFail
10-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Ye but Tim explained it in much more detail than the other guy.
Thank god my holidays are nearly over and I ain't got to fly anywhere

?!?jAy2k6!?!
10-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Has been all over news/radio and was posted on the forum before him.

Not really. Anyway well pointed out Tim I been following this this morning after hearing about it all over the news.
I know but it's still old news.

jordybumz!
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM

No he just copy + pasted what I linked to ;S

timROGERS
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I'd already seen it. Why are you so protective of your first post? Half the world knows about it.

jordybumz!
10-08-2006, 08:30 AM
If you'd already seen it, why post again? ;s

J1MI
10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
These people should be shot, If they have the mentality to kill a hell of alot of innocence people, then in my opinion they are not wanted in this world.

Bit of an extreame view, i know.

[Chris]
10-08-2006, 09:25 AM
These people should be shot, If they have the mentality to kill a hell of alot of innocence people, then in my opinion they are not wanted in this world.

Bit of an extreame view, i know.

they should kill them slowly to make them feel pain like if some had killed people and the bomber survived

because how will all those peoples families feel if they killed their son/daughter/wife/husband ect

Fujitsu
10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Watching about it on Sky News now.

jordybumz!
10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I was watching it on GMTV this morning.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!