PDA

View Full Version : PS3 News

Sabu
13-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Taken from Gamemaster Magazine, Issue GM175. (Hand-typed)

Out: November 17th
Price: 340 pounds (Core)
425 pounds (Premium)

The Lowdown

Thanks to the staggering popularity of PS2, PS3 is odds-on favourite to clean up this time round - or so you'd think. In fact, problems regarding Blu-ray spec finilisation, launch dates, and price points have given pause for thought. Still, given their top reputation with the average game, only a fool would bet against Sony.

Future Prospects

* Playstation guru Ken Kutaragi's latest comments mention that PS3 is an "entertainment computer" that will eventually render hard drives obsolete - instead 'cyberworlds' powered by Cell processors will reign supreme.

* PS3 will be upgradeable . "I think it's okay to release (PS3) configuration every year", say Kutaragi. Could we see a wealth of PS3 upgrades - like larger hard drives or re-writeable Blu-ray functions - in the years to come?

* PS3's basic online service will be free. Kutagari said: "On the PS3, basic services will be taken for granted while content will be the bread and butter of our business."

* Phil Harrison delcared PS3 will kill off the PC: "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the web, and use other computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer, we do not need the PC."

* Core and Premium PS3s won't just differ in terms of innards, you'll also get more bling - a sleeker black finish, silver trim and chrome logo - if you opt for the pricier model.

E3 Performance

Disappointing. The reality of Sony's machine seemed to rely on the odd pinched idea (the tilt-sensitive contoller), a hefty price tag (400 pounds +) and some variable-looking games. Cue a miserable 6/10 in our E3 ratings. Still, that MGS4 trailer was the star of the show, and it's massively powerful.

GM Says

The PlayStation brand enjoys a cult level of fanboydom that it'd take a seismic slip-up by Sony to ruin PS3's chances. Will that really happen? Not a chance... expect PS3 to be massive

HUGECOOL
13-08-2006, 08:14 PM
This is pretty old news. I mean, the report may have been new, but the content has been around since E3 ended. I'm surprised the report failed to mention the various lawsuits Sony has been through regarding the Playstation brand lately. :/

Sabu
13-08-2006, 08:18 PM
This is pretty old news. I mean, the report may have been new, but the content has been around since E3 ended. I'm surprised the report failed to mention the various lawsuits Sony has been through regarding the Playstation brand lately. :/

Ahh, I see. I didn't know it was old.

Grindie
13-08-2006, 08:40 PM
I'll still stick to my 360 though kfnx.

SnowTwist
13-08-2006, 09:16 PM
GM Says

The PlayStation brand enjoys a cult level of fanboydom that it'd take a seismic slip-up by Sony to ruin PS3's chances. Will that really happen? Not a chance... expect PS3 to be massive

Massive In Price,
Massive In Size. ;]

Nick-
14-08-2006, 10:21 AM
I'll still stick to my 360 though kfnx.

Agreed

Massive In Price,
Massive In Size. ;]

Ditto

And regarding the replacement of the trusty computer?
i dont think so :rolleyes:
Sony need to be taken down a peg if theyre thinking of taking on the likes of Alienware and dare i say the XPS

A4AOwen
14-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Thats great new and I cant wait for the realease.

Aeon
14-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Im wanting the release now, Theres always going to be hardcore 360 fans who got the first ever XBox's who hate sony all together. But having been there from the beginning of sony, How could i say no?

Of course im going to buy one!!!

Also, I've heard its coming out november - christmas time so ...

Its on my christmas list :D

Grindie
14-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Well, I thought I was going to be sony for life, having had the ps1 & ps2, but seriously, don't waste your money ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!