PDA

View Full Version : Who wants 250k?

omgabear
17-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Sure you can have it, but you have to find something for me.

Roller coaster name: Kingda Ka

See im currently doing investigating Roller Coaster Physics. In order for me to calculate PE, KE, Acceleration etc i need to find the weight of the cart. The Kingda Ka is the fastest, heighest coaster in the world, so I just need to cart weight.

If anyone can find the weight of the cart with or without people in it, i will give you 250k.

You must link it to site in which you found it.

Scriptermone
17-08-2006, 06:49 AM
This is soooo hard, im gonna keep trying - but I reckon the only way to find out if you actually went there and asked the technicians or someone rofl.
but ill keep trying.

omgabear
17-08-2006, 06:59 AM
This is soooo hard, im gonna keep trying - but I reckon the only way to find out if you actually went there and asked the technicians or someone rofl.
but ill keep trying.

Yea, ive made most calculations but half need the general mass of the cart.

REWARD OF FINDING IT IS NOW DOUBLED. 500K CASH

Ekalb
17-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Arghh.. I'll look for you I really need as much money as I can grab :P
Talks about about stats: http://www.amusementpics.com/Kingda%20Ka.htm
Kingda Ka Statistics
Height: 456 Feet
Speed: 128 mph
Length: 3118 Feet
Drop: 418 Feet
Designed and built by INTAMIN AG
Does it/it's creators have a website?

Scriptermone
17-08-2006, 07:25 AM
I can't find it :'(
I really dont think it's possible - I googled like 15 different things to do with mass of cart on the Kingda Ka.

Ah well, at least I tried.
Your best luck is to probably phone them.

Mr.Sam
17-08-2006, 07:37 AM
i found this but theres nothing about weight :(

Length: 3118 ft
Height: 456 ft
Drop: 418 ft
Descent Angle: 90°
Inversions: 0
Duration: 0:28

Based on the length and duration figures above, Kingda Ka has an average speed of 75.92 mph.

http://www.bannister.org/coasters/parks/six_flags_great_adventure.htm#kk

|toast|
17-08-2006, 07:39 AM
i no the weight of the whole thing but i cant find the weight of 1 cart sorry

[Jay]
17-08-2006, 10:04 AM
i found this but i dont think its what your looking for :P
http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/KingdaKa.html

Crimson
17-08-2006, 10:11 AM
18 passengers per train

Average weight of human in the US is around 70kg therefore the average weight of passengers is 1260kg ... I'm not sure about the cart itsself tho O_O

Kardan
17-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Here's info about the train don't know if there's anything here you need:

Each train only loads and unloads at its own station; it does not go to any others. During operation, the trains on one side are loaded while the trains on the other side are launched. This system works extremely efficiently as long as all four trains are running and there are no significant delays in loading and checking the trains. It also results in a very fast-moving queue before the station, but a long wait inside the station, especially if waiting for the front row. An employee directs riders in line to go to a particular side of the station, but riders will then be able to choose the front or rear train. The four trains are color coded for easy identification: green, dark blue, light blue and orange. These four colors are also used on the seats and restraints.

Two operators load, check and dispatch each train, and one launches the trains. Kingda Ka's trains seat 18 people, with two per row. The rear car has one row, while the rest have two. The rear row of each car is positioned higher than its front row for better visibility. The trains do not have official names, only numbers.

The dark blue train is currently out of service, awaiting new parts from Intamin. This was the train being launched when 2005's major malfunction (see below) occurred, and problems stemming from this malfunction were discovered in the train's off-season rehab. The orange train has also not been used for most of the 2006 season. The orange train was often in the front left portion of the station or on the storage track. The restraints for its first two rows have were sometimes open (the rest were closed) when the train was not being used, indicating that there may have been a problem with them. However, on July 27, 2006, after being closed for a few days, Kingda Ka opened with the orange and light blue trains running and the green train on the storage track with some of its covers removed.

Kingda Ka's seats with the restraints downKingda Ka's over-the-shoulder restraint system consists of a thick, rigid lap bar and two thin, flexible over-the-shoulder elements. Because the over-the-shoulder portions of the restraint are not rigid, the hand grips are mounted to the lap bar. This type of restraint feels like a lap bar restraint, while still providing the safety of a traditional over-the-shoulder restraint.

These restraints use a hydraulic locking system (rather than a ratchet) which allows them to be pulled down to any position; when "locked", they can move down to any position but not up. In contrast, a ratchet-based restraint only locks at each "notch", and will often be too loose or uncomfortably tight. Like those of most other coasters, Kingda Ka's restraints are also held down by a belt in case the main locking system fails. In order to speed up loading, riders are asked to secure their own restraints if they are able to.

Kingda Ka's towerEach of Kingda Ka's trains has a panel behind the last row of seats that covers an extra row of seat mounts. These panels could be removed for the installation of additional seats at some future time. This modification would increase the capacity of each train to from 18 to 20 guests and the hourly capacity of the coaster from 1400 to 1600 guests per hour. Kingda Ka's station is already set up for this modification, it has the entrance gates for the currently nonexistant row of seats.

Crimson
17-08-2006, 10:17 AM
why do people just copy and paste stuff... :l

Sly
17-08-2006, 10:18 AM
why do people just copy and paste stuff... :l

It's quicker than typing it out....

Chickenblob
17-08-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.rcdb.com/id2832.htm

Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka
Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure (Jackson, New Jersey 08527 USA)
Type: Steel - Sit Down
Make / Model: Intamin AG / Accelerator Coaster
Designer: Ingenieur Büro Stengel GmbH
Lift / Launch System: Hydraulic Launch
Capacity: 1400 riders per hour

Length: 3118'
Height: 456'
Drop: 418'
Inversions: 0
Duration: 0:28
Max Vertical Angle: 90 Degrees
Max Acceleration: 0 − 128 mph in 3.5 seconds
Elements: 90° Vertical Spiral
456' tall Top Hat − Outside
270° Vertical Spiral
129' tall Hill

Trains: 4 trains with 5 cars per train. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 20 riders per train.
Trains: Built by Intamin AG
Trains: The last car seats only two riders so the number of riders per train is actually 18, not 20.
A dual-loading station with switch track allows four trains to load and unload simultaneously on two tracks.

History: Part of a new area named "The Golden Kingdom", featuring new family rides and a new tiger area in a jungle-like environment.
Like so many record breaking roller coasters, the Kingda Ka has experienced multiple mechanical issues forcing its closure for days and sometimes weeks at a time. If you are going to Great Adventure specifically to ride the Kingda Ka it is highly recommended to check the ride's status via park's website. It is beyond the scope of this site to keep the operational status of roller coasters current on a day-to-day basis.

Crimson
17-08-2006, 10:30 AM
It's quicker than typing it out....

Its not as if Omgabear cant just look at the websites i bet he has seen this stuff over and over again... And he pointed out he only needed to know the weight of a train (people in or out im not sure).

Kardan
17-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Its not as if Omgabear cant just look at the websites i bet he has seen this stuff over and over again... And he pointed out he only needed to know the weight of a train (people in or out im not sure).

I did say this:

Here's info about the train don't know if there's anything here you need:

Anyways, I'll try and look up the nearest similar rollercoaster next to Kinda Ka (Thrill coaster or something like that) and see if they have anything...

Here we go:

each train on Top Thrill Dragster weighs 6.3 tons

That's the most similar coaster to the Kingda Ka, i'll check passanger numbers to see if they're the same.

Ok TTD has 18 people per train...

And the KK has 18 people per train :D

So I would estimate that one train is about 6.3 Tons, might not be exactly accurate due to design though. That's my rough guess done.

Chickenblob
17-08-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.rcdb.com/id1896.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Thrill_Dragster#Theme

The Top Thrill Dragster should be about the same as the
Kingda Ka so I calculated that each cart should be about 1.26 tons.

6.3 tons = train mass divide by 5 = carts on train = 1.26 tons

Kardan
17-08-2006, 11:02 AM
http://www.rcdb.com/id1896.htm

The Top Thrill Dragster should be about the same as the
Kingda Ka so I calculated that each cart should be about 1.26 tons.

*Laughs*
*Cries*
I knew that.

Albion
17-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Last cart only has 2 seats in, not 4/

Scriptermone
17-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Who repped me on this thread?

Crimson
17-08-2006, 11:55 AM
but weights the same.. probably. Seeing as most of the machanicle parts are on the last cart

Kardan
17-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Last cart only has 2 seats in, not 4/

With that in mind = 6.3 tons / 4.5 carts (4 carts with half a cart on the back) = 1.4 ton per cart... but as the poster above said mechnical parts could be suituated in the back and bring the weight to 1.26t.

Crimson
17-08-2006, 12:29 PM
The Poster above was called Crimson ^^

Chickenblob
17-08-2006, 01:01 PM
So does that mean when I first said 1.26 tons I was right?

JonJon
17-08-2006, 01:31 PM
6.3 tonnes for all the carts. (about)

Wait, I also found this:

Train Information

Trains 4
Cars Per Train 5
Rows Per Car 2 of 2 riders (last car single row)
Total Riders Per Train 18
Unofficial Train Names Orange = School Bus budoncadonk
Green = GAK
Dark Blue = Blueberry Muffin
Light Blue = CPBeatIt
Height Requirement 54"
Restraints Shoulder Harness, Check Strap fastens to Shoulder Harness
Station A dual-loading station with switch track allows four trains to load and unload simultaneously on two tracks

On http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com/gadv/kingdaka.htm

-sFusion-
17-08-2006, 05:43 PM
6.3 tonnes for all the carts. (about)

Wait, I also found this:

Train Information

Trains 4
Cars Per Train 5
Rows Per Car 2 of 2 riders (last car single row)
Total Riders Per Train 18
Unofficial Train Names Orange = School Bus budoncadonk
Green = GAK
Dark Blue = Blueberry Muffin
Light Blue = CPBeatIt
Height Requirement 54"
Restraints Shoulder Harness, Check Strap fastens to Shoulder Harness
Station A dual-loading station with switch track allows four trains to load and unload simultaneously on two tracks

On http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com/gadv/kingdaka.htm

Maybe I'm simple-minded, but if this information is true:

If the total weight of the carts is 6.3 tonnes or 6300 kilograms, and there are 20 carts (4 trains of 5 carts, 4x5), then wouldnt each cart weigh about 315 kilograms or 0.315 tonnes (6300kg/20carts)?

Makes sense to me... I think :D

Bielby2ooo
17-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Location: Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, N.J. "The Golden Kingdom" section

Description: As the tallest and fastest roller coaster on earth, Kingda Ka will join Six Flags Great Adventure's world-renowned coaster collection. This jawdropping experience will launch riders 456 feet into the air at 128 mph.

Opening Date: Spring 2005

Typer of Coaster: Hydraulic launch coaster

Maximum Height: 456 feet

Maximum Speed: 128 mph

Stracking Up To Nitro: 230 feet, 80 mph

Its Siblings: Great American Scream Machine: 173 feet, 68 mph Medusa: 143 feet, 55 mph

Ride Features: A hydraulic launch rockets riders horizontally from 0 to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds, then vertically 90 degrees into a quarter turn. Riders crest the coaster's tower an exhilarating 458 feet from the ground, then plunge vertically into a 270-degree (three-quarter) spiral. The train will swoop down a valley and climb a 129-foot second hill, leaving guests feeling weightless before making a left turn back into the station.

Station Design: Dual-loading station with switch track allows four trains to load and unload simultaneously on two tracks.

Number of Trains: 4

Number of Passengers Per Train: 18

Track Length: 3,118 feet

Length of the Ride: 50.6 seconds

Safety Systems: Redundant safety system. Shoulder harness contains two locking devices- hydraulic cylinders and "check strap" that fastens into the shoulder harness. Dispatch Inhibit System ensures passengers are secured before dispatching.

Capacity - Riders Per Hour: 1,400

Peak Horsepower To Train: 7400 HP

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/themeparks/new05/kingdaka/sfgadv_kingdaka_facts.shtml

Kardan
17-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm simple-minded, but if this information is true:

If the total weight of the carts is 6.3 tonnes or 6300 kilograms, and there are 20 carts (4 trains of 5 carts, 4x5), then wouldnt each cart weigh about 315 kilograms or 0.315 tonnes (6300kg/20carts)?

Makes sense to me... I think :D

If yor theory is correct it would be 6300kg/18 carts which would make each cart 350 kg each, which I think is rather light.

omgabear
18-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Alright guys, thanks for trying.

I decided to go with the amount of force exerted on a passenger instead of the cart, so yea... again. I need to do all calcs.

Thanks again.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!