PDA

View Full Version : English Question Help + 4 rep and Loads of hcs

Troubling
17-08-2006, 04:00 PM
My english h/w question is:

Compare the poems ‘London’, by William Blake and the poem ‘Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3rd, 1802”, By William Wordsworth.

If anyone has any good notes on this or has already done the essay and could provide me it as a guide then i will give them the rep n hcs. Also posts links to good websites thankies. Pm me or post here asap thanks. All good relative post will get + rep

I will only use the information provided as a guide it will not be copied.I want to make that clear

FlyingJesus
17-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't know these poems myself (have seen the Blake one but not the other, and haven't done any work on them) but here's some general information about how to get yourself some good marks:

When you compare poems, one of the most important things is to write what it is that you think the poet means by each part. For example, in "London", does Blake mean in the first stanza simply that he is walking around looking at things, or does it infer a deeper meaning? - Such as a general mood that is all around.

You can also try getting some extra marks for general knowledge about the poems or poets. Blake was an intellectual man interested in the politics of Britain - take a quick scan of a Google search on him and you can get yourself some information to boost your mark. Don't go overboard on this though, there's no point talking about the poets and completely forgetting the poems. However, if you manage to combine the two (as in, "I believe his thoughts on this point stem from this experience") it makes quite an impressive piece of writing.

As well as putting in some of this stuff, remember not to stray too far from the point - you are trying to compare the two poems, and so you have to make sure you're doing that, not just talking about each one individually. Use whatever you can to make links, you won't lose marks for being a bit wild with your ideas, so note down whatever you can come up with.

For websites, Google search is good for information about the poets (and also you may find some pieces already written about the poems). The BBC education site also has quite a bit on poetry.

Good luck!

DCeption
19-08-2006, 11:33 AM
www.sparknotes.com - think, they have many helpful pieces of infomration etc, although i do not know if the poems you are looking for will be on there.

and basicslly just have a good essay structure dont be talking about one thing and then suddenly chnage out the blue.

I hope this helps

Troubling
19-08-2006, 01:00 PM
no body had been any help so far soz

Memmish
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I just studied Blake for a level, and I once did a question very similar to this.

When you compare poems you are meant to discuss the similarities and differences, so i will break my main points down into this:

Similarities;
(i cant think of many at the moment, they are very different really)
-they both belong to the same time period, so they both took inspiration from a very similar london.

Differences;

-Wordsworth idealises London. unlike blake who discusses the harshness of london and delves into deeper issues such as the mistreatment of chimney sweepers.
-Blake looks at real people whereas Wordsworth seems to personify the city and talks of it as a whole, and how it affects him.
- Blakes poem "takes place" as he wonders the city, Wordsworth is viewing it from the bridge. Perhaps this is symbolic of why and how Blake can delve further into the harshness of the city, because he is more involved in it. (Blake also lived their, knew the city very well)
-Wordsworth is a quintessential romantic poet, and this style comes across in his poem, he makes the city appear more like nature/countryside, typical of romantics.
-major point - Wordsworth focuses on the city, Blake focuses on the people of the city.

That should be enough to get you started! hope it helps <3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!