PDA

View Full Version : IE & Firefox

cocaine
20-08-2006, 12:13 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of getting Firefox instead of IE? As I am considering getting Firefox for my own PC.

Ty

Nixt
20-08-2006, 12:35 PM
For me, it's the following:

Tabbed Browsing
Download Manager thingy
-this allows you to pause downloads, see all download status etc
Pop ub blocker
It's generally faster than IE, that is, typical pages will load faster on Mozilla than IE.
Firefox is safer... It stops malicious activeX controls or something...
You can download some cool themes :P
The options thing is alot better, it allows you to do things like view saved passwords, so you can delete them as a whole or just one alone. There are loads of other things on this tooOkay, there is a few things that I know about.. I am sure there are more, but yeah.. :)

Herman
20-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Tabbed Browsing
Download Manager thingy
Pop ub blocker
It's generally faster than IE, that is, typical pages will load faster on Mozilla than IE.
The options thing is alot better, it allows you to do things like view saved passwords, so you can delete them as a whole or just one alone. There are loads of other things on this tooOkay, there is a few things that I know about.. I am sure there are more, but yeah.. :)
Haha, he probably sums up all that I have to say. But I'll just explain abit more in detail.

-Firstly, yeah tab browsing. (which means you can be at alot of different websites at one time but only use one window)

-The download thingy is better, you can pause downloads, check all the downloads (it's all in one small window), and it's pretty easy to use.

-Pop up blocker, it blocks all pop-ups.

-Alot faster for the speed, I would say.

And yeah, lots of other great features, alot better than IE.

:LeKevin:
20-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Tabbed Browsing
Pop ub blocker

IE has tabbed browsing and pop up blocker. xP

RedStratocas
20-08-2006, 01:17 PM
IE has tabbed browsing and pop up blocker. xP

Since when did it have tabbed browsing? Mine sure doesnt:P

And you guys forgot about Skins.

Nixt
20-08-2006, 01:19 PM
^^^^

And you guys forgot about Skins.

Mmmmk.

It got updated to have tabbed browsing I believe? :s

RedStratocas
20-08-2006, 01:24 PM
^^^^

Mmmmk.

It got updated to have tabbed browsing I believe? :s

Really? Can you post a screen shot?

Wootzeh
20-08-2006, 01:25 PM
A Better Web Experience
Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers Web pages faster than ever. And it’s easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.
Faster Browsing
Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex Web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.
Automatic Updates
The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.
Tabbed Browsing
Use tabbed browsing to open multiple Web pages in a single browser window, and quickly flip back and forth. Drag and drop open tabs to keep related pages together.
Improved Pop-up Blocking
Firefox’s built-in pop-up blocker has been enhanced to block more unwanted pop-up and pop-under ads.
Integrated Search
Tap into the power of the Web’s most popular search engines with the built-in Search bar, and easily add new engines.
Stronger Security
Firefox keeps you more secure when you’re browsing the Web, closing the door on spyware, worms, and viruses. The Firefox community of developers and security experts works around the clock to monitor security issues and release updates to better protect you.
Clear Private Data
Protect your privacy with the new Clear Private Data tool. With a single click, you can delete all personal data, including browsing history, cookies, Web form entries and passwords.
Live Bookmarks
Stay up to date with your favorite Web sites and blogs. Use Live Bookmarks that update themselves automatically with the latest content from the Web.
Accessibility
Firefox 1.5 delivers easier navigation for everyone, including those who are visually or motor-impaired. Firefox is the first browser to support DHTML accessibility, which, when enabled by Web authors, allows rich Web applications to be read aloud. Users may navigate with keystrokes rather than mouse clicks, reducing the tabbing required to navigate documents such as spreadsheets. Firefox 1.5 (Windows version) is also the first browser to meet US federal government requirements that software be easily accessible to users with physical impairments.
Customize Firefox
Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes - the way Firefox looks and works is under your control.
Next Generation Web Support
Innovative new Web applications and services deliver a richer Web experience. Support for open Web standards in Firefox ensures you can get the most out of this emerging class of Web-based tools.

-------

IE7 has tabbed browsing.

Mentor
20-08-2006, 01:34 PM
It also.

- Has Exstentions
- Can render pages properly (conforms to w3 standards)

//FF2
- Built in spell checker
- Phishing protection
- far more securty features

Herman
20-08-2006, 02:01 PM
IE7 has tabbed browsing.
Ooh, it does? Well. I'd still prefer Firefox anyway, faster speed.

DMB-Hosting
20-08-2006, 02:14 PM
"IE is the swiss cheese of all browsers - Full of holes"

cocaine
21-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Ok thanks everyone

NekkLe
21-08-2006, 02:48 PM
HmmK, I downloaded FireFox lastnight and the tabbed browsing is pretty cool.

Clarissaa
21-08-2006, 02:54 PM
ie is just.. slow?

cocaine
21-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Im sticking with IE, Firefox is doing my head in

and tbh, IE isnt that bad

samsaBEAR
21-08-2006, 06:38 PM
IE has many security holes left behind so Microsoft can check what your doing.
The Extensions are great, they're really helpful, and their's one for your every need!

cocaine
21-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Firefox gives me headaches though lmao :P

NekkLe
21-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Ahh well, I just updated to IE7 so I have the benefits of both :p

Mentor
22-08-2006, 12:52 PM
IE7 has benifits? o.0

cocaine
22-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Ahh well, I just updated to IE7 so I have the benefits of both :p

is it any good?

NekkLe
22-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Meh, i've used it and its pretty much the same as Mozilla with the tabbed browsing etc..
The icon is shinyful though :p

Mentor
22-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Meh, i've used it and its pretty much the same as Mozilla with the tabbed browsing etc..
The icon is shinyful though :p

It does also include a load of bugs, slow rendering, which still dosnt confrom W3 correct, and render pages correctly.
As well as still lacking alot of features Firefox 1 had... Firefox 1.5 is better firefox 2.0 Is Way Way Better :D ... although they realy need to get the thing but on time "/

NekkLe
22-08-2006, 03:38 PM
It does also include a load of bugs, slow rendering, which still dosnt confrom W3 correct, and render pages correctly.
As well as still lacking alot of features Firefox 1 had... Firefox 1.5 is better firefox 2.0 Is Way Way Better :D ... although they realy need to get the thing but on time "/

Hmm, I havn't seen Fire Fox 2.0? I prefer FireFox though.

beth
22-08-2006, 04:24 PM
firefox is just better.. i mean theres no need for reasons. it is just good.
you're kinda obsessed with browsers love rofl.

iluvben
22-08-2006, 04:27 PM
i don't like firefox, certain sites get all mucked up in it.

cocaine
22-08-2006, 06:02 PM

You're only the 31st person to say that

cocaine
22-08-2006, 06:07 PM

DaveTaylor
22-08-2006, 06:21 PM
i like IE so ***** firefox

Adam$
22-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Meh, I tried firefox, but I didn't see what the fuss was about. I just use IE.

Halting
22-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Tabbed Browsing
Download Manager thingy
Pop ub blocker

I agree with all of the above advantages. However, IE7 has tabs too.

It is a lot faster, or at least it 'feels' a lot easier to use and it's more user-friendly.

Internet Explorer is owned by Windows of course, so it's worth trying both. All browsers have their own advantages.

I don't have a default browser. I use IE7 if I am visiting one website or I use Mozilla Firefox if I am going to view multiple websites.

Mentor
22-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Becuse its true o.0

I agree with all of the above advantages. However, IE7 has tabs too.

It is a lot faster, or at least it 'feels' a lot easier to use and it's more user-friendly.

Internet Explorer is owned by Windows of course, so it's worth trying both. All browsers have their own advantages.

I don't have a default browser. I use IE7 if I am visiting one website or I use Mozilla Firefox if I am going to view multiple websites.
FF is still faster, better standards support and is equaly user friendly. Plus if u use it for multiple site viewing that means it can do something IE cant hence must be better?

beth
22-08-2006, 07:39 PM
rofl, voicing my opinion dear ;D. i can't help if it's universally shared.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!