PDA

View Full Version : Britain: Are We Really Getting Fatter?

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 11:37 AM
The Department of Health have released a report predicting that by 2010 one million children and twelve million adults in the UK, will be obese.
This could mean that 19% of boys and 22% of girls ages two - fifteen could be obese. "Well that's not many" I hear you say. But if you think about it, if you take 100 boys, and 100 girls, aged two - fifteen. Put them in a room. Forty one people in that room would be obese.

The questions I am asking you are, Why are we getting fatter, can we stop getting fatter and is there really any need for it?

Click Here for the BBC's Extensive Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5282446.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42004000/jpg/_42004504_obesity_203.jpg

brandon
25-08-2006, 11:38 AM
No offense, but I'm not really bothered if it's not me my friends or family that is fat. Of course I wouldn't wish anyone to be fat.

laurenx
25-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Well,

If people start eating junk food..you can't really get them off it unless you go on a tv program etc. Some children get it from the parents, because there parents are slightly overweight, so yeah.

Nixt
25-08-2006, 11:42 AM
This is a hard one to grasp really... I mean, what is it that causes all this obesity? Is it the couch potato "culture"? Or are fatty foods just considered more appealing. The whole fat thing confuses me, I mean... you get fat people that moan about being overweight, and unless it's not their fault, why get that way in the first place?
It's harsh I know, but true.

DMB-Hosting
25-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Huh turning into the USA

laurenx
25-08-2006, 11:43 AM
This is a hard one to grasp really... I mean, what is it that causes all this obesity? Is it the couch potato "culture"? Or are fatty foods just considered more appealing. The whole fat thing confuses me, I mean... you get fat people that moan about being overweight, and unless it's not their fault, why get that way in the first place?
It's harsh I know, but true.

How did 'junk food' come? I really dont know. But the UK can't be perfect "/

Nixt
25-08-2006, 11:46 AM

True. We can't be perfect! But I mean, it must be so hard for bigger people who are victims of bullying, who also feel depressed because they hate being fat.
We should at least try to stop it all before it gets out of control. I hate the way I have made it sound like a disease; but in a way, it is true.

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 11:49 AM

I think Junk food came along the same time as America became popular in the UK.
After the Second World War America had been a great help to the UK within both WW1 and WW2. This was the point where American "touches" were added to Britain. America's popularity in this country has only started to decrease over the past decade or so.

xxMATTGxx
25-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Well i really dunno but im not fat.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:02 PM
basically it all really started with fast food companies trying to make the biggest profit so more came along like McDonalds, Burger King etc. The natural course is that they would expand out to different countries to capture the fast food market there

NekkLe
25-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Fast food resturants going commercial, more choice in what you eat, cheap foods, ready meals, advertisement.

All of these contribute to the way we look at food nowdays. In London, you can't walk 2 minutes down the road without seeing a resturant. Advertisment also plays a key factor in food e.g, billboards, buses, trains, tv, internet, signs. There billions of pounds in the food industry and targeting a hungry audience with mouth watering ads will win the right to make them this kind of money.
This is why its hard to bring down fast food giants such as McDonalds, it was said to have taken a blow from the movie made about it and thats why they have a 'healthy' section and encourage that alot more now.
Britain i think work the most hours in Europe alone and when we get home we want a nice dinner, ready meals solve this, there quick to make, cheap and seem to benefit our lifestyles.
Its easy to sit infront of the tv all day, get a couple movies, eat, get bored, eat. Boredom leads to many things and eating is one of them. But being a 'couch potato' is down to yourself, its your problem, you either get up and go out or stay in all day and get fat.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:13 PM
yep but i mainly think mc donald's healthy section is a load of **** cause who goes out to a fast food resteraunt to buy healthy food like carrot sticks?? not me

Nixt
25-08-2006, 12:13 PM
yep but i mainly think mc donald's healthy section is a load of **** cause who goes out to a fast food resteraunt to buy healthy food like carrot sticks?? not me
Most of their "healthy food" is just as unhealthy anyway x]

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:15 PM
lol it probably is the carrot sticks are probably grown genetically modified

NekkLe
25-08-2006, 12:18 PM
The healthy section is there so no one can argue that all of there foods arn't fatty. But when you go to a fast food resturant, you eat a meal and it fills you up for about 20-30 minites and you want to eat some more. Its chemicals in the food that kinda don't 'quench' you hunger.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:20 PM
so say if you've gone out for the day shopping u go to mcdonalds, have lunch, get filled up, go shop some more, 30 mins later u feel hungry agen, go back and buy mc flurry :P

NekkLe
25-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Yep, they always leave you wanting more.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:24 PM
has any one ever played the online mc donalds rpg?? if no one has ill find a link for it and post it

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:25 PM
The healthy section is there because the Governent say it's got to be there.

Have you tried any of it though? It's disgusting, Maybe they do this on purpose so we go back to eating their junk food.

Can't you imagine the owner of McDonalds being someone like Hurley out of Lost?

NekkLe
25-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I doubt he/she/they arn't even fat, there probably really healthy and don't touch the stuff.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:27 PM
don't watch lost post pic of him and ill imagine :p and did the government actually say they had to have a healthy option?

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Or to be ridiculous, Maybe its a bad guy from a cartoon, wanting to take over the world by making every one fat.

Gawd. How Sad Am I

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:29 PM
lol i can imagine him with a ciagarette in his mouth like that guy who kidnaps olive from popeye *toot toot*

xMicHeLlEx
25-08-2006, 12:33 PM
idk, ask allan.

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Nah I see him/her as one of them real conservative people. Dont care about anyone but themselves, hence why they own a fast food restaurant which makes people fat xD

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:37 PM
did u kno that the original owner of mc donalds sold it to this guy for 1million in 1930 and then the new owner became very rich

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:40 PM
did u kno that the original owner of mc donalds sold it to this guy for 1million in 1930 and then the new owner became very rich

No I did not know. Why do you know that? Lol.

Hitman
25-08-2006, 12:44 PM
People start eating fatty foods, because they taste nice, then they eat more and get fatter, then stop doing exersise, therefor getting even more fatter from not burning anything off untill they're too fat and can't do much.

Heh, I'm not overweight. TBH, it's peoples own fault.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:44 PM
i read a book on fast food for some random reason really interesting cant remember the title or author but the author also wrote fast food nation

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:47 PM
So, we've started invading countries for pathetic reasons, we have US WoMDs on UK soil, and now more of us are becoming obese.

What "American Touches" are we going to get Next?

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:49 PM
So, we've started invading countries for pathetic reasons, we have US WoMDs on UK soil, and now more of us are becoming obese.

What "American Touches" are we going to get Next?

we may never know...

Ryan+Joe
25-08-2006, 12:51 PM
idk, ask allan.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o well, tony blair can stop dis. ban mcdonalds lol!!!

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Maybe Blair will start making as many ***** ups like Bush.

Can I just add my favourite Bushism.

Dubya: "The French Don't Have a Word for entrapeneur"

If you don't get it, Entrapeneur is a french word.

Blue
25-08-2006, 12:56 PM
lmao. Blair has been useless from day 1. Look at our education system. Im in high school and half the people in my class can hardly read. Anyway if blair did ban mc donalds then mc donalds would probably sue saying why havent any of the others been shut down

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 12:59 PM
lmao. Blair has been useless from day 1. Look at our education system. Im in high school and half the people in my class can hardly read. Anyway if blair did ban mc donalds then mc donalds would probably sue saying why havent any of the others been shut down

Look at the NHS, Can't cure cancer patients 'cause they can't afford it.

Have you seen the little card in mcdonalds where it says:

"EVER WONDERED WHAT'S IN OUR BURGERS"?

You pick it up. And on the back it tells you how to submit a comment/question to macdonalds.

Blue
25-08-2006, 01:01 PM
lol thats random

the card thing not NHS thing

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 01:03 PM
lol thats random

the card thing not NHS thing

Random. But True. They are little red cards.

Blue
25-08-2006, 01:05 PM
i never seen the cards but they have a nutrition thing on which they put on the trays but u have never seen an ingrediants list

Mentor
25-08-2006, 01:15 PM
According to what the governments advice is, i should be massively obease, yet in reality im underweight. The governments response to problems such as these tends to me knee jerk reactions, and often are flawed on many levels as is the evidence there based on.

RedStratocas
25-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I think Junk food came along the same time as America became popular in the UK.
After the Second World War America had been a great help to the UK within both WW1 and WW2. This was the point where American "touches" were added to Britain. America's popularity in this country has only started to decrease over the past decade or so.

Maybe the popularity among people there, but the UK has definatly been embracing our culture, that definatly isnt slowing down.

And yeah, this is probably our fault. Every problem calls for "Blame America first". Its probably the spread of Fast Food places.

Lubricant
25-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Haven't they stopped showing junk food adverts on childrens channels?

Also, McDonalds and fast food restaurants sell healthier food but when you walk in there, what are you gonna choose seriously? Big beef burger or caeser salad?

FrozenWhisper
25-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Haven't they stopped showing junk food adverts on childrens channels?

Also, McDonalds and fast food restaurants sell healthier food but when you walk in there, what are you gonna choose seriously? Big beef burger or caeser salad?
My mum gets the salad :)
I think schools are going abit OTT.
They stopped selling Ribena at my school -.-

Victimized
25-08-2006, 03:50 PM
My school took all of the crisps and cakes out of the cafeteria but they still sell burgers and chips, lol?

FrozenWhisper
25-08-2006, 03:54 PM
My school took all of the crisps and cakes out of the cafeteria but they still sell burgers and chips, lol?
I think, it's pointless taking crisps away, cause kids still bring them to school -.-.
Our school stopped selling crisps, and the prices went up on everything, I wonder why. They were obvilously losing money cause kids just went in to get crisps. We have chips once a wekk, and some gross caked. They are, gross. We have to drink, Water (ok), Pure Orange (Ok), fruit smoothies (gross, minging and wierd, I mean STRAWBERRY AND BANANANA?)

Victimized
25-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah we've got some horrible smoothies too and their so gloopy and sick, urgh.
Also, their are pot meals, like spaghetti bolognese, casserole etc, and the ammount of grease on them is so sick.
I usually just buy a sandwich at school or wait to get home.

FrozenWhisper
25-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah we've got some horrible smoothies too and their so gloopy and sick, urgh.
Also, their are pot meals, like spaghetti bolognese, casserole etc, and the ammount of grease on them is so sick.
I usually just buy a sandwich at school or wait to get home.
I get a Jacket Potato, only nice thing left...

Victimized
25-08-2006, 04:00 PM
The only problem with the jacket potatoes at my school is they use the same knife to spread the tuna and butter and i hate tuna.

NekkLe
25-08-2006, 04:01 PM
My college can't care less about what food you eat. There burgers, kebabs, chips, chocolate, fizzy drinks, chips, crisps and all the other junk. Some of its horrible so I tend to just get a chicken sandwhich.

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 04:08 PM
So I think that we are in agreement that it is down to the person to stop making themself obese?

FrozenWhisper
25-08-2006, 04:11 PM
The only problem with the jacket potatoes at my school is they use the same knife to spread the tuna and butter and i hate tuna.
Ohh, we pay 10 pence for a small square of butter.

Jasmin
25-08-2006, 04:12 PM
My schools taken away eveyrything, no sausage rolls, no cakes, no crisps, no burgers, no pies, no pastry products, no cookies, basicly all they sell now is salads and pizza :/

Victimized
25-08-2006, 04:12 PM
You pay for your butter!
I think it's £1.20 for a potato with just butter and then cheese and beans are 15p each.

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 04:28 PM
You pay for butter at our School. And if your cheese is 15p, you're lucky ours is 40p.

Another thing, at our school, they charge MORE for the salad etc than they do for the burgers etc.

Victimized
25-08-2006, 04:30 PM
My schools salad is a joke, 2 bits of tomato, a few bits of lettuce and one slice of cucumber.

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 04:31 PM
My schools salad is a joke, 2 bits of tomato, a few bits of lettuce and one slice of cucumber.

That sounds.. delightful... our school put chicken in it, but its still £2.40 when a cheese burger is £1.20

Nixt
25-08-2006, 04:32 PM
My school's food thingy was changed according to that Jamie Oliver stuff x]

Hecktix
25-08-2006, 04:34 PM
My school's food thingy was changed according to that Jamie Oliver stuff x]

I think that Jamie Oliver is being paid by the Government.

But really, what do the Government do to stop us becoming Americans, i mean obese. Sorry if there are any Americans reading this.

beth
25-08-2006, 07:44 PM
there's more younger kids that are fat. i did work experience in a primary school and i was well shocked at how big some kids are.. i think it's more lifestyle now though than like overeating and stuff? i mean alot of kids will like sit on their a'ss all day on the pc or watching tv and doing no exercise.

jordybumz!
25-08-2006, 07:45 PM
i mean alot of kids will like sit on their a'ss all day on the pc or watching tv and doing no exercise.

hi my name is jordan and i do the previous sentence.

beth
25-08-2006, 07:47 PM
hi my name is jordan and i do the previous sentence.
rofl. so do i BUT YOU KNOW.. rofl. have to make the point ;D

jordybumz!
25-08-2006, 07:49 PM
rofl. so do i BUT YOU KNOW.. rofl. have to make the point ;D
yeh i have to pay the price though.. being fat ]:

RedStratocas
25-08-2006, 10:54 PM
So I think that we are in agreement that it is down to the person to stop making themself obese?

Well the arguement comes in is fast food companies misleading people about what is in it and how much is apropriate to eat.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!