PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking Training (Getting Fitter)

Jargit
29-08-2006, 09:57 PM
My uncle recently took me mountain biking on quite a simple course.
IT scared the hell out of me. And getting up the mountain was too hard work. Does anyone on here do mountain biking and know any good ways to make going uphill much easier?

Im not very fit, im quite overweight. Im described in school as "Chunky" :P
NOT Obese or anythign but not muscle or fit :D

Anyone got any tips on hwo i should train for going uphill.

( NOTE: it took me about 1 hour to get up to the top )

Which my uncle said wasn't very bad, but i wanna try and get up without being dead on the floor :D

Thanks +REP for those who can help or find any sites that give very good info :D

Ostinato
29-08-2006, 10:08 PM
My uncle recently took me mountain biking on quite a simple course.
IT scared the hell out of me. And getting up the mountain was too hard work. Does anyone on here do mountain biking and know any good ways to make going uphill much easier?

Im not very fit, im quite overweight. Im described in school as "Chunky" :P
NOT Obese or anythign but not muscle or fit :D

Anyone got any tips on hwo i should train for going uphill.

( NOTE: it took me about 1 hour to get up to the top )

Which my uncle said wasn't very bad, but i wanna try and get up without being dead on the floor :D

Thanks +REP for those who can help or find any sites that give very good info :D

It's good to see you've found something your interested in and that you have ambition to do well in, so first of all - well done for that! :]

I think, to allow you to cycle well without you getting too tired easily, you need to work on your leg, thigh muscles etc.

You should work out on treadmills etc. and maybe just pop down to your local gym where you'll be surprised at the huge amount of equipment you could use to tone up your legs etc.

Good luck! :]

Lindzi
29-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Why don't you start off by seeing what you can do easily and start increasing that over time getting you more and more fit so you'll eventually be able to easily do stuff like up big mountains and that (Hope that made sence It did in my head :P)

xMicHeLlEx
29-08-2006, 10:37 PM
ere a little tip !
dnt fall off x

ilovejordan
29-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Get an exercise bike ?
I got one and i've got a lot more strength in my legs now

BL!NKEY
30-08-2006, 12:12 AM
well maybe buy a better bike to ride up the mountain in.

If you get a bike with a lot of gears you can change into an easier gear when going up the mountain and it will help you.

If you want a good bike you will have to spend $700-2000

If you have a really bad bike now then a better, lighter bike will make the climb a lot easier.

ItsDave
30-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Its a cool ambition to get fitter. And doing moutain biking helps. But how about like doing, a mile a day, do it for like 2 days, then make your route longer each day.

Then, it should have made your stamina better and done something to your thighs, then see how you do on the mountain, like try and beat your old time.

I started it last week, pretty good idea of my Dad.

Good luck.

Jargit
30-08-2006, 08:28 AM
The bike i have now isnt very good. its ok for roads but not really for mountains. So i use my uncles spare when i go on proper trails, but when i go training EG, down the other side of the village , and up a hill i use my bike>

Thanks you all been really helpfull, I will take all ur advice into consideration

Corq
30-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I do alot of Mountain Biking...

Personally I think its easier to go up hills in quite a high gear (not to high though) as you won't be constantly pedalling round and round as much to get up. This may seem stupid but it makes it alot easier saying '1,2 - 1,2 - 1,2' for every time you do one full pedal.

Oh, and if your bike has adjustable suspension make it quite hard so you don't bounce up and down when you are going up a hill.

Jargit
30-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Corq. +REP

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!