PDA

View Full Version : Your fave kind of rock...

Fomas
30-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I saw that on the other poll, there was just rock and punk.
And ive noticed there is alot of other types of metal.

And before you vote, greenday/Blink 182 and stuff, is pop, not punk =D

Infractionized
30-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Well my taste is weird because right now i am listening to:

Head Automatica, who are a dance/rock band, but the last song i listened to was GlassJAw who are a post-hardcore band, so my taste varies usually whether i'm happy or not.

But generally my music is tagged on last.fm as alternative so i guess it's that.
Just look in my sig and you'll see all different kinds of rock/punk.

Kardan
30-08-2006, 04:21 PM
:( When I saw this thread I thought you were asking about your favourite type of rock. As in rock.

Mines a boulder.

But, in this case. Indy I guess.

thesubways<3
30-08-2006, 04:22 PM
post-hardcore or indie depending on my mood. post-hardcore probably comes under 'emo rock'

iluvben
30-08-2006, 04:24 PM
indie and emo rock probably.

Into The Void
30-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Indie all the way.

:dallsgreen
30-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Indie and emo rock, I dunno if emo rock covers like screamo and that stuff but I'm into that too, but I pretty much listen to whatever I'm in the mood for.

Axel
30-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Indie.

-Soph-
30-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Heavy metal, Ignore the songs in my signature, Its old and not updated because ive not been on my own PC in a while

Sazzle
30-08-2006, 05:24 PM
indie !!!!!!

Fomas
30-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Hoorah...
Someone else said heavy metal.

I dont look like such a loner now ;D

FrozenWhisper
30-08-2006, 05:40 PM
What's MCR, The Rasmus, Linkin Park, Green Day, SOAD, Good Charlotte and Evanescence count as?

Fomas
30-08-2006, 05:45 PM
What's MCR, The Rasmus, Linkin Park, Green Day, SOAD, Good Charlotte and Evanescence count as?

Ermmm... Mcr i would call emo.
Evanscense is like rock/pop in my opinion.

SOAD is rock and good charlotte is pop =p
Its quite mixed, but its more gothic rock/plain rock.

At a guess.

Matt.
30-08-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't have a clue :(. I like stuff like AC/DC, Feeder, Lost Prophets, Papa Roach, SOAD and sum 41. Ramdon stuff like that

Fomas
30-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't have a clue :(. I like stuff like AC/DC, Feeder, Lost Prophets, Papa Roach, SOAD and sum 41. Ramdon stuff like that

Oh my AC/DC
I love them.

I would say plain rock... I mean some has a bit of screaming in, but alot or rock does.

lust
30-08-2006, 05:47 PM
emo/screamo

Tash.
30-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Would probs be indie/emo/plain rock.

-Soph-
30-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Ermmm... Mcr i would call emo.

Sorry?

samsaBEAR
30-08-2006, 06:00 PM
MCR are one of those bands that are trying to be Emo. They're not a true Emo band.
I have a mixed, I like stuff like Trivium, Avenged Sevonfold and that, but I also like The Kooks, The Automatic. I'm gonna vote Plain Rock

FlyingJesus
30-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Horror-punk, followed by black metal (punk/BM fusion would be insane..)

JonJonStress
30-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I think Linkin Park is metal? So I just voted Heavy Metal.

RedStratocas
30-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Who are you to judge what's punk? You cant spell indie right:rolleyes: Also, 'pop' can be anything. Even old punk could be considered 'pop'.

And indie rock is probably my favorite.

manga21
30-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Who are you to judge what's punk? You cant spell indie right:rolleyes: Also, 'pop' can be anything. Even old punk could be considered 'pop'.

And indie rock is probably my favorite.

Come on whats punk about greenday.. LOL

Modern punk is not so good... billy talent i laugh at him I lvoe the english voice he puts on to try and sound "punk" meh I like old punk.. Btw heavy metal for me

Diablo10
30-08-2006, 10:45 PM
punk rock!

::d4nnyt::
30-08-2006, 10:48 PM

My Opionion, Rubish. But I guess they are all different.

Chaz
30-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Alternative, but its not on there.

Bef
30-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Candy... x

Gina♥
30-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Plain Rock & Metal For me <3_x

Porosity
30-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I put other, but If any of you listen to three days grace, what would you classify that as?

Sarah.
30-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Alternative, but its not on there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RedStratocas
30-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I put other, but If any of you listen to three days grace, what would you classify that as?

Hard Rock or Alternative probably.

RedStratocas
30-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Come on whats punk about greenday.. LOL

Modern punk is not so good... billy talent i laugh at him I lvoe the english voice he puts on to try and sound "punk" meh I like old punk.. Btw heavy metal for me

Green Day is punk, greenday isnt. (Green Day is what you say when youre talking about their old stuff, back in the day when Green and Day were two different words, greenday is what everyone calls the new stuff for some reason). Their old stuff without a doubt, was punk. If you say it isnt, youre just stubborn.

Even though I hate argueing what genre a band is, since its pointless.

Chaz
30-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Green Day is punk, greenday isnt. (Green Day is what you say when youre talking about their old stuff, back in the day when Green and Day were two different words, greenday is what everyone calls the new stuff for some reason). Their old stuff without a doubt, was punk. If you say it isnt, youre just stubborn.

Agreed

kasi
31-08-2006, 12:26 AM
metal, punk, emo, indie and alternative.

FlyingJesus
31-08-2006, 12:58 AM
I think Linkin Park is metal? So I just voted Heavy Metal.

You've just been trying to argue that rap is a load of rubbish.. Linkin Park is rap..

Something makes little sense.

JonJonStress
31-08-2006, 01:14 AM
You've just been trying to argue that rap is a load of rubbish.. Linkin Park is rap..

Some of it is... but mainly metal or whatever it is.

I like some rap, just not crap like 50 cent.

Homesrfan
31-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Alternative and I guess 'plain rock' o_o I donno.

Bono
31-08-2006, 02:28 AM
My favourite rock, must be a sedimental rock.

no jokes.
i am liking some emo, some punk, some rock, some oldies.. all sorts.

samsaBEAR
31-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Linkin Park would be classed as Rock in HMV probally, but really it's Rap Metal [it's a real genre ^^]

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 10:17 AM

There not, there Nu Metal, but not Heavy Metal, TBH, Green Day's old stuff's well better than there new stuff.

thesubways<3
31-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Linkin Park would be classed as Rock in HMV probally, but really it's Rap Metal [it's a real genre ^^]
HMV don't know anything. They put P!ATD in the metal section. :/

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 10:59 AM
HMV don't know anything. They put P!ATD in the metal section. :/
I'm a P!TAD fan and are they hell! There, like pop-rock or what ever you call it -.-

JonJonStress
31-08-2006, 11:12 AM
There not, there Nu Metal, but not Heavy Metal, TBH, Green Day's old stuff's well better than there new stuff.

OOOOH! Ye, I remember. New metal.

manga21
31-08-2006, 11:18 AM

To be honest I liked there old stuff.. there new stuff is lame to be honest .. but punk to me is lyrics .. In a way..
Btw Rap metal is Nu-metal

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 11:32 AM
To be honest I liked there old stuff.. there new stuff is lame to be honest .. but punk to me is lyrics .. In a way..
The new stuff is ok, just the old stuff's better.

Keelan
31-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh come on guys, Green Day or greenday was never ****ing punk. One song was punk and even that sucked. End of.

:Hazel
31-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Oh come on guys, Green Day or greenday was never ****ing punk. One song was punk and even that sucked. End of.

Green day own.

thesubways<3
31-08-2006, 11:40 AM
What song was punk then?

Keelan
31-08-2006, 11:42 AM
What song was punk then?

I don't know, I'm not a Green Day fan. I mean How can they be punk if they have a fan base of 8 year olds? And Green Day do not own, the mianstream and corporate *******s own YOU.

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't know, I'm not a Green Day fan. I mean How can they be punk if they have a fan base of 8 year olds? And Green Day do not own, the mianstream and corporate *******s own YOU.
WTH?
They have a fan based of 8 year olds O.o, My 8 year old brother likes there new stuff, but hates there old stuff. -.-

31-08-2006, 11:55 AM

I know plenty of people older than the age of 8 who like them. Whats with the ***** all the time? Ok you don't like them, big deal. :rolleyes:

manga21
31-08-2006, 11:56 AM
WTH?
They have a fan based of 8 year olds O.o, My 8 year old brother likes there new stuff, but hates there old stuff. -.-

I think thats what he ment somehow..

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I know plenty of people older than the age of 8 who like them. Whats with the ***** all the time? Ok you don't like them, big deal. :rolleyes:
Agree'd, all of my friends (12) like them not 8, 12 ;)
Ah, so he doesn't mean there old stuff?

31-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Good for you, my mum and dad like them and so do I. And I'm slightly older than 12. ;)

manga21
31-08-2006, 11:59 AM
My mum likes them she hates rock and metal..

FrozenWhisper
31-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Good for you, my mum and dad like them and so do I. And I'm slightly older than 12. ;)
My mum likes Linkin Park, my dad likes Hardcore O.o

Grindie
31-08-2006, 01:24 PM
What an idiot, he spells INDIE like indy :rolleyes:

RedStratocas
31-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Thats what I was saying wasent it?

No they were punk, youre just stubborn:)

8 year olds? I like them, I'm 16. I know tons of people at my school who like them, even if they like nothing other than Dookie.

And 'mainstream corporate *******s'? So you dont like ANY band with a record lable? I find that dumb. A band no one has ever heard of can be just a corporate as a band thats played on MTV 24/7.

Infractionized
31-08-2006, 03:57 PM

12 lmao that's nto helping your argument sorry.

louder
31-08-2006, 08:17 PM

i'm afraid it's pop-punk.

i voted emo.

Keelan
01-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Thats what I was saying wasent it?

No they were punk, youre just stubborn:)

8 year olds? I like them, I'm 16. I know tons of people at my school who like them, even if they like nothing other than Dookie.

And 'mainstream corporate *******s'? So you dont like ANY band with a record lable? I find that dumb. A band no one has ever heard of can be just a corporate as a band thats played on MTV 24/7.

They ARE not punk. What is punk about they? They sold-out because 'political' was in. And compare them to punk roots like Buzz****s, 'Pistols, etc. And I'm talking about people who do it for something other than the music. E.G. Slipknot.

foxyfox00
01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I can listen to everything.
Linkin Park, Blink, Greendays old stuff, Chilli Peppers, Oasis, Living End, Silverchair, most aussie bands aswell.

Heart Break Kid
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
motorhead king of kings =p

Cov.
01-09-2006, 01:18 PM
EMO rock Panic! the disco yeah man

FlyingJesus
01-09-2006, 03:05 PM
They ARE not punk. What is punk about they? They sold-out because 'political' was in. And compare them to punk roots like Buzz****s, 'Pistols, etc. And I'm talking about people who do it for something other than the music. E.G. Slipknot.

So you have to be financially unsuccessful to be punk? I'm not sure where SlipKnot come into this, as they play for money just as much as any band, and have truckloads of merchandise which could easily be viewed as "selling out". Oh, and the fact that when the emo fad was just coming in the video they brought out had Corey Taylor wearing Converse shoes.. and how they unmasked themselves when they realised people thought they were stupid for it..

I don't like Green Day myself, but I can understand that they're punk. They aren't the sort of punk I listen to (Misfits, Balzac, Michale Graves, Mister Monster etc.) but they are punk musically.

Infrontation
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Plain rock / Emo Rock

louder
01-09-2006, 07:41 PM

they didn't sell out, they got a recording contract. i don't see how thats selling out? i mean, if you want to produce records professionally your a sell out :s

also they're pop-punk.
all pop means is popular.
see pop - ular, notice how pop is the same as the beggining of popular? (y)

Green Day - pop-PUNK
blink-182 - pop-PUNK

:D

end of rant.

Muse
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I chose other, I listen to anything that sounds good and not really give a crap what Genre it is.

Muniflex
01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
well put muse, personally i listen to heavy metal, just coz i think that sounds good.

Fomas
01-09-2006, 07:49 PM

My record shops doesnt have a rock section.
They stick it all under metal.

I saw P!ATD under metal and i nearly cried.

Edit:

Can i just add, punk to me, is a way of being different, and rebellious to everything you do, saying **** you to everyone and living life the way you wanna. Its a uniqueness and a point to get accross.
Tbh nothing like that strikes me about Green Day

Muse
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
well put muse, personally i listen to heavy metal, just coz i think that sounds good.

Not everyone is the same though.

Fomas
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Well yeh i like everything, hell i listen to pop music.
But heavy metal is by far my fave.
Thats all i was asking =P

If you had too choose...

FlyingJesus
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Can i just add, punk to me, is a way of being different, and rebellious to everything you do, saying **** you to everyone and living life the way you wanna. Its a uniqueness and a point to get accross.

Punk attitude and punk music are two very different things.

Punk music: simple chord progressions, often based on 50s music (look it up if you don't believe me), usually quite short songs, catchy rhythms.

Punk attitude: believes that anarchy would be a good thing (for some reason..), generally dislikes the government even if it's quite a good one, enjoys being rebellious for the sake of it, often think they're more individual than they really are.

louder
01-09-2006, 08:17 PM

what punk is to you means nothing.
punk is a genre of music. green day didn't sell out, they just accepted a record deal to record professionally. their music sounded exactly the same as what it would have if they didn't have a recording contract. therefor; green day are punk. [:

manga21
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
they didn't sell out, they got a recording contract. i don't see how thats selling out? i mean, if you want to produce records professionally your a sell out :s

also they're pop-punk.
all pop means is popular.
see pop - ular, notice how pop is the same as the beggining of popular? (y)

Green Day - pop-PUNK
blink-182 - pop-PUNK

:D

end of rant.

So system of a down is pop-metal Because its popular? How the hell does that work out? stuipd reply btw btw they did sellout he didnt mean they solded out because they got a record deal .. It means .. That they change there style of music to suit the music sence of today ... see what selling out means now ... make sure you know what things mean before you post back :P
Btw green day are not punk billy joe said himself he killed punk .... Really he did

Oracle:
02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I listen to a wide variety from death metal to emotive. My favourite bands are:

Dashboard Confessionals
Trivium
Bullet for my Valentine
Cradle of Filth.

Josh-H
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Indy and Punk :D

~Hilton~
02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Punk, and by Blink and Green Day as being "pop" I don't quite think so. Pop, to me, is like Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson, and Blink and GD would atleast fall into some kind of category of rock if you don't consider them punk.

edit: after reading this thread I just want to throw my opinion in.

I mostly agree with RedStrat on the whole Green Day thing.

And because they sell records, signed to a bigger label, and have more fans makes them sellouts? How so? Anti-Flag signed to a bigger label does that make them sellouts? Or maybe Anti-Flag and Green Day just wanted to change the style of their music to something new?

Also, Dookie is Green Day's biggest selling album, it went diamond for god's sakes. So were they sellouts since they put out that cd?

HUGECOOL
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
JRock :>

Fomas
02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Punk, and by Blink and Green Day as being "pop" I don't quite think so. Pop, to me, is like Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson, and Blink and GD would atleast fall into some kind of category of rock if you don't consider them punk.

edit: after reading this thread I just want to throw my opinion in.

I mostly agree with RedStrat on the whole Green Day thing.

And because they sell records, signed to a bigger label, and have more fans makes them sellouts? How so? Anti-Flag signed to a bigger label does that make them sellouts? Or maybe Anti-Flag and Green Day just wanted to change the style of their music to something new?

Also, Dookie is Green Day's biggest selling album, it went diamond for god's sakes. So were they sellouts since they put out that cd?

Tbh i think GD became sell outs after american idiot.
They changed their style for the record company or something, but i really dont think GD were ever punk. They probally are some form or rock, pop rock to me.

FlyingJesus
03-09-2006, 09:43 AM
If you listen to any of their old stuff you can see that they were punk. I still don't like any of their stuff really, but I won't say they were never punk. What's wrong with being a sellout anyway? The idea of having a band as your job is to make money and to cater for what people want to listen to. There will always be bands in some category that you don't like, I know for a fact that Green Day aren't the only poor excuse for a punk band (check out that Pete w***er's band Daddy Fantastic), there's no point being arrogant just because they aren't what you want.

alexxxxx
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Ooohh. Indie and Punk. Probably Alternative too. I don't know.

Ree...
03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
im guessing indie is stuff like snow patrol????
dnt laugh at me if im rong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thesubways<3
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
im guessing indie is stuff like snow patrol????
dnt laugh at me if im rong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yh indie is like uh

snow patrol, franz ferdinand, the feeling etc.

FlyingJesus
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Indie is usually British college kids.

thesubways<3
03-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Indie is usually British college kids.
haha true. and nowadays they normally live by the seaside in like brighton or bournemouth.

Muse
03-09-2006, 11:38 AM
haha true. and nowadays they normally live by the seaside in like brighton or bournemouth.
Brighton get idiots like Fatboy Slim...

beth
03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
post-hardcore/screamo/indie.

FlyingJesus
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Fatboy Slim is a living legend! He even married Zoe Ball to get her off the telly, what a saviour.

I wonder, is there a difference between hardcore and post-hardcore? I've always just thought it's a different word for it so scenesters don't have to say they listen to the same stuff as 12 year olds.

thesubways<3
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Fatboy Slim is a living legend! He even married Zoe Ball to get her off the telly, what a saviour.

I wonder, is there a difference between hardcore and post-hardcore? I've always just thought it's a different word for it so scenesters don't have to say they listen to the same stuff as 12 year olds.
hardcore seems more metally and post-hardcore is more emoy?

bef:
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
meh. probs metal, indy, emo rock, rock, heavy metal yus anything like that

RedStratocas
05-09-2006, 02:59 AM
So system of a down is pop-metal Because its popular? How the hell does that work out? stuipd reply btw btw they did sellout he didnt mean they solded out because they got a record deal .. It means .. That they change there style of music to suit the music sence of today ... see what selling out means now ... make sure you know what things mean before you post back :P
Btw green day are not punk billy joe said himself he killed punk .... Really he did

Well actually, yes, if something becomes popular, you can put pop in front of it, no matter what the music is like. 'Pop' is short for 'popular', but the reason its affiliated with Brittney Spears etc is because that is what's popular.

Being different isnt what punk is about. I can think of a million different bands that are out of the ordinary, but arent punk.

MsTanya
05-09-2006, 05:34 AM
depends what you'd call We Are Lions, We Are Scientists & We Are The Fury..

indie i reckon

Liberation
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Coheed & Cambria FTW!. There awsome, Love them atm.
great would reccomend them

manga21
05-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Well actually, yes, if something becomes popular, you can put pop in front of it, no matter what the music is like. 'Pop' is short for 'popular', but the reason its affiliated with Brittney Spears etc is because that is what's popular.

Being different isnt what punk is about. I can think of a million different bands that are out of the ordinary, but arent punk.

So what would you call brittneys music on its own then?

RedStratocas
05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
So what would you call brittneys music on its own then?

From wikipedia. (they explained it best)

Pop "is designed to appeal to everyone" and "doesn't come from any particular place or mark off any particular taste." In musical terms, it is essentially "conservative" in that it attempts to resonate with a large segment of its target demographic rather than pushing artistic boundaries. It is "provided from on high (by record companies, radio programmers and concert promoters) rather than being made from below..." (Frith 2001, p.95-96). But over time, pop has gone from "popular in general" to "a genre" described as sounding musically similar to rap, but with singing. This is due to radio stations labeling themselves as "pop stations" taking heavy preference over certain sounds, tossing other popular bands who don't fit into the sound or other categories like rock into the "alternative" label.

Often used to describe the current popular genres of music of any given time, the term "pop" cannot be used describe any one particular style.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!