PDA

View Full Version : Kilbane goes to Wigan Athletic!

edible
31-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Title.

Kevin Kilbane has completed a transfer to Wigan Athletic and ironically he is set to make his debut for his new club at Goodison in a fortnight's time!
After hours of negotiation Everton officials have now agreed an undisclosed fee for the 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international.
During the talks Kilbane has been at the JJB Stadium this afternoon undergoing a medical and once he returns from international duty next week he will meet up with his new team-mates.
However, his sending off at Spurs last weekend means he will have to wait for his chance and the first opportunity he will be given is when Wigan travel to Merseyside on September 16th.
The deal to take Kilbane to Wigan comes exactly three years after his arrival at Goodison from Sunderland in a £1m deadline beating transfer.
Kilbane has expressed his gratitude to everyone at Everton for the three years he has enjoyed at the club.
He said: "I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone at Everton. I've had great support from everyone there and there's always a bit of you that's sad to say goodbye when you leave such a great club. But I'm a Wigan player now and I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead."

In his three years with the Blues Kilbane has made 131 appearances for the club, netting five goals.

When Kilbane signed for Everton he was able to renew acquaintances with manager David Moyes, who had coached him as a teenager at Preston North End.

Kevin started his career at Deepdale, making more than 50 appearances before moving to West Brom for £1.25 million in May 1997. He then joined Sunderland in a £2.5 million deal in December 1999.

He was part of Mick McCarthy's squad for the 2002 World Cup finals in Japan and Korea, featuring in every game for Ireland.

He signed a two year contract extension to a deal that still had 12 months to run in the summer of 2005.

Kilbane had competition from Andy van der Meyde and James McFadden throughout the 2005/6 season but made 43 appearances in a variety of positions.

For 2 million!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!