PDA

View Full Version : PS3 delayed in Europe (and beyond)

Bear-Max
06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
CHRISTMAS has just been ruined for those hoping to get their hands on Sony's latest console - in Europe at least.

Sony has just announced that it's PS3 console will now not ship outside of Japan and the US until March 2007 - a hefty 4 month setback. And guess what? It's all down to a "blue laser diode" (no, I don't know what it is either but I'm willing to bet money that it has something to do with Blu-Ray) having mass production problems.

Terretories affected include Europe, Australasia, Russia, Middle-East and Africa, where the news is damning not only for fans but for retailers who were relying heavily on the PS3 for sales during the Christmas period. Release date of 11th and 17th of November in Japan and the US respectively still stand.

The upshot is that this is good for Nintendo, whose Wii console will now have the holiday launch window to itself. Microsoft will also benefit with an extra 4 months for it's Xbox 360 to gain a headstart on it's Sony-born competitor.

I bet Bill Gates just wet his pants with joy.

Neversoft
06-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Roflmao. How many times is that now? :rolleyes_

HUGECOOL
06-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Lmao, I just read that. I kinda pity Sony fanboys though. They got slapped in the face so many times and still claimed loyalty to the company. Ah, well. History repeats itself.

:Hazel
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Their loss if it isn't going to be out till after xmas because they won't make the money. Not the first time either...

womanizer
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
What's the blue-ray? I wasn't going to get a PS3 anyway.

HUGECOOL
06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
What's the blue-ray? I wasn't going to get a PS3 anyway.
Blu-Ray is the type of medium Sony opted out for using on their games. It has a lot more storage, but also loads slower. The blue laser diode that reads these discs had a shortage so Sony was unable to meet demand for their game console.

Oh and did anyone else hear?

US only get 400K units and Japan gets 100K. Are they failing on purpose? O_O

Azza
06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
i just saw that
maybe if outside of japans lucky they be here for nxt x-mas? its jsut delay after delay least there gonig some where and letting japan get um but this will give nintendo an upper hand when they release the Wii doubt it will do any diffrence with xbox 360's

Joahh
06-09-2006, 04:30 PM
That hurts i was hoping for one for christmas.

brandon
06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
That hurts i was hoping for one for christmas.
Same

nvm I will just opt for something else.

Bear-Max
06-09-2006, 06:51 PM
US only get 400K units and Japan gets 100K. Are they failing on purpose? O_O

Microsoft only shipped 400k units to the US when the 360 launched, so the story there isn't that different. The Japan launch is surprising though.

MS could do with the shortage though, there were no direct competitors that people could walk out with. Can't find a PS3? Well, you'll just get a 360 instead. This is gonna hurt Sony.

SimplyTech
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
lol 500k around the world thats nothing as other fairly recent consoles have sold 40x that eg nintendo ds [20 million]

HUGECOOL
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Microsoft only shipped 400k units to the US when the 360 launched, so the story there isn't that different. The Japan launch is surprising though.

MS could do with the shortage though, there were no direct competitors that people could walk out with. Can't find a PS3? Well, you'll just get a 360 instead. This is gonna hurt Sony.
The difference between the Sony and Microsoft launches was that Microsoft actually launched the console in Europe while Sony isn't planning to.

Europe is one of Sony's strongest markets and I think its just silly to shun them altogether.

Ashhizzle
06-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I bet Bill Gates just wet his pants with joy.
LOLOLOL >:( i'll have longer to save up :)

FlyingJesus
06-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Are they failing on purpose?

Haha amazing ^_^

JoeyK.
07-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh well, at least I still get mine on time ;)

Sorry to the rest of you who have to wait until March though :(

HUGECOOL
07-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Oh well, at least I still get mine on time ;)

Sorry to the rest of you who have to wait until March though :(
Really? 400K units for the whole US and you're planning on getting one? You do realize Sony never authorized pre-orders, so if you have pre-ordered, that's pretty much going down the drain. First come first serve.

I'm waiting for Sony to put a postiive spin on this and transform this from limited supply to excessive demand when they all sell out. :rolleyes:

Bear-Max
07-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Really? 400K units for the whole US and you're planning on getting one? You do realize Sony never authorized pre-orders, so if you have pre-ordered, that's pretty much going down the drain. First come first serve.

I'm waiting for Sony to put a postiive spin on this and transform this from limited supply to excessive demand when they all sell out. :rolleyes:

"The fastest console to sell out in video game history..."

HUGECOOL
07-09-2006, 12:50 PM
"The fastest console to sell out in video game history..."
xD
What would actually be funny is if they didn't all sell out.

N!ck
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Sony are going to lose out so much now, as Europe is a huge market, as already mentioned.

http://www.thisiswaiting.com - Some amusing pictures on the subject of the delay.

Sony.Com
08-09-2006, 01:57 AM
:)

Its still still comming out in north america on the expected date:)

Why dont people just buy the USA or Canada?
They will be cheaper anyway:)

HUGECOOL
08-09-2006, 04:52 AM
:)

Its still still comming out in north america on the expected date:)

Why dont people just buy the USA or Canada?
They will be cheaper anyway:)
Well, there are three main issues:

1- Limited quantities: Because Sony decided to launch with only 500,000 units, there will be very few that will be sold to other countries. Local residents are most likely to get their hands on one before other people start ordering them on eBay.
2- AC Adapter: It will need to be different for other countries and most people would rather not bother with that and wait until an offical console is made for their country.
3- Cost: While it might seem that a PS3 from the US might cost less to other people, it can actually be the complete opposite. Sellers are most likely to sell the console for as much profit as possible and that doesn't include shipping, games, and optional accesories.

Bear-Max
08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Plus I don't think the PS3 has even been confirmed to be region-free.

JoeyK.
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM

I also know that I have plenty of money to spend on it, & I know a LOT of people will be selling them on eBay... For a huge profit I assume, but that's not about to stop me. I'd rather have a PS3 than ten 360's.

Machine Head
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Bit depressing...

Just builds up more hype in my eyes. I bet it will be the next-gen console ;)

Care to take a liking into Sony Christopher :P

Sony.Com
09-09-2006, 09:52 PM
400 000 units?

There will be more. Sony uses that as an excuse to be able to raise price.
Also stores can't up the price.
sony already releced the price online and will be selling them online. It would be easier and probs cheaper to buy it online:P

HUGECOOL
09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
400 000 units?

There will be more. Sony uses that as an excuse to be able to raise price.
Also stores can't up the price.
sony already releced the price online and will be selling them online. It would be easier and probs cheaper to buy it online:P
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540261/20060906/index.jhtml?headlines=true

The price is already high, there is no excuse. And no, stores can't raise the price, but most will most likely sell their stock on eBay anyway. (For massive profit.)

Bear-Max
09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540261/20060906/index.jhtml?headlines=true

The price is already high, there is no excuse. And no, stores can't raise the price, but most will most likely sell their stock on eBay anyway. (For massive profit.)

Or more likely just sell their stock in ridiculous $1000+ bundles.

alexxxxx
09-09-2006, 10:40 PM
PS3 was meant to be out for last christmas. =] Sounds like sony all over. Over-spec their products, show made-up graphics, set a deadline that they intentionally won't finish so fanboys will keep on and not convert to M$ or Nintendo. It's a farce.

Josh-H
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Sony are going to lose out so much now, as Europe is a huge market, as already mentioned.

http://www.thisiswaiting.com - Some amusing pictures on the subject of the delay.

Pmsl Some stupidly funny stuff though!

I would like to just say :) >>>

http://www.thisiswaiting.com/j2.jpg

Frodo13.
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Thats my Christmas down the pan.

O well, my birthday is in April, so Ill just have one for my birthday I guess.

Looks like X-Box and Wii is next gen. But seems like PS3 is going to be be the next gen of the next gen!!

Josh-H
10-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Or maybe itll just be a big flop!

Joe™
10-09-2006, 06:03 PM
i ordered one aswell they cancelled all orders

Frodo13.
10-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Or maybe itll just be a big flop!

Playstation has never been a flop. I don't know how thats going to change with a diferent release date. :rolleyes:

Josh-H
10-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Sony fanboys will have a 360 thats how ittl change

Frodo13.
10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
But if they are true fanboys then they would stay loyal...Like I am.

I hate Xboxs, hate Nitendo...Love Playstation! (Just for the record I hate Xbox the most, at least Nintendo has worked hard for its status)

united-champ
10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO!

:(

I WANTED A PS3 HIS YEAR!!

Illhave to settle OFr WII :(

Neversoft
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Bit depressing...

Just builds up more hype in my eyes. I bet it will be the next-gen console ;)

Care to take a liking into Sony Christopher :P

You must be joking right Warren? Ew sony fanboy. What happened to your likings of Nintendo? I really don't think its going to do aswell as Nintendo this time, and delaying it isnt going to help at all.

mnbvjifhgtge
10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
why are you bothered about a console that you have to pay for its "potential" been delayed? it just means that we're saved from a load of crap

Azza
10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
in my opinion

Sony will be last in the contest

and
xbox360 will be 2nd out selling sony by many

and the Wii will follow the succes of the DS and sell millions.

So delay just lets nintendo get sales better and slight chance for MS

like i said my opinion.

VersionUpdate
10-09-2006, 09:02 PM
:o I saw that the other week on newsround -_- lol i well anoyed I was lookin forward to xmas for one >:(

HUGECOOL
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Playstation has never been a flop. I don't know how thats going to change with a diferent release date. :rolleyes:
It's a known fact that consoles sell most during the holidays. Europe is one of Sony's strongest gaming markets. Sony is not launching the PS3 in Europe this year, therefore, it will face a giant loss in market share these coming holidays.
Parents looking for a PS3 for their child on Christmas will instead buy them a 360 or a Wii. This is why a simple date change can cause massive, uh, damage.

JoeyK.
10-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Sony fanboys will have a 360 thats how ittl change
I sure as hell won't. I'll buy a PS3 & a Wii and I'll be happy :)

Bear-Max
11-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Thats my Christmas down the pan.

O well, my birthday is in April, so Ill just have one for my birthday I guess.

Looks like X-Box and Wii is next gen. But seems like PS3 is going to be be the next gen of the next gen!!

The first sign of complete and utter fanboyism: pretending bad news is actually good news.

Sony messed up with this, big time. And they know it: even Kutarugi has said "If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true". Sony is losing it's grip on the hardware market because it's becoming too unreliable.

It's only going to get worse. Firstly, with the PS3 delayed, the only next-gen movie players will be the standalone ones. That means that the £999 Samsung Blu-Ray player is going head-to-head with the £450 Toshiba HD-DVD player. Even then, it's been suggested that the HD-DVD player is giving better quality. Add into the equation the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on that's expected to ship for under £200, and immediately Blu-Ray has quite a hurdle to overcome.

And without a doubt, if you thought the Xbox 360 hardware problems were bad, just wait until the PS3 comes out. It uses unproven technology such as Blu-Ray and the new Cell chip, so you can imagine the teething problems.

Troubling
11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
sony have missed the christmas sales so maybe theyll lower the price :D lol. The Wii will sell millions upon millions becuase the nintendo DS outsold the PSP becuase people in china and japan prefer new technology such as the DS touch screen. and the Wii is much cheaper.

Bear-Max
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Don't get me wrong though - the PS3 will sell millions because whatever price it's at, the Japanese just want to play Final Fantasy. FFIII on the DS sold a massive 500 000 copies last week - more than the rest of the chart combined.

I've never understood why Microsoft just didn't buy out Square-Enix - it might pee off the Japanese, but they'd certainly start shalling out for Xbox 360s.

Frodo13.
11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
There is only one thing I will agree with on this. The fact that Playstation have lost out majorly on the 06 winter sales. But in the long-term, they will just make just as much money as they will in USA and Japan because they will have 07, 08, 09 maybe even 10 to make up for it.

Frodo13.
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
The first sign of complete and utter fanboyism: pretending bad news is actually good news.

Sony messed up with this, big time. And they know it: even Kutarugi has said "If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true". Sony is losing it's grip on the hardware market because it's becoming too unreliable.

It's only going to get worse. Firstly, with the PS3 delayed, the only next-gen movie players will be the standalone ones. That means that the £999 Samsung Blu-Ray player is going head-to-head with the £450 Toshiba HD-DVD player. Even then, it's been suggested that the HD-DVD player is giving better quality. Add into the equation the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on that's expected to ship for under £200, and immediately Blu-Ray has quite a hurdle to overcome.

And without a doubt, if you thought the Xbox 360 hardware problems were bad, just wait until the PS3 comes out. It uses unproven technology such as Blu-Ray and the new Cell chip, so you can imagine the teething problems.

Sorry for the double post, but why do you think they witheld it in the 1st place? To fix glitches of course. We will all see what does better when sale figures come out.

HUGECOOL
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Sorry for the double post, but why do you think they witheld it in the 1st place? To fix glitches of course. We will all see what does better when sale figures come out.
Glitches will always be there, especially for Sony right now. They didn't delay production of the console on purpose. It was delayed because there weren't enough laser diodes to fill their needs. It's also already been said that the Cell processor yields 10x slower than its supposed to, but Sony has decided to ship it that way anyway.

For people hoping on a cheaper price for May, you too are out of luck. The delayed release is only costing Sony millions upon millions of dollars plus, the PS3 will gather major loses per console sold. Having a price drop on a system not even a year after its offical release is not possible. at the minimum, a fiscal year has to pass before Sony even think about a price drop- that's how it works. The 360 might get a price drop soon because its fiscal year is almost over.

alexxxxx
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
The Wii will sell millions upon millions becuase the nintendo DS outsold the PSP becuase people in china and japan prefer new technology such as the DS touch screen.

I'm sorry..

BS ALERT

Touch Screen ain't exactly groundbreaking new technology. PDAs have had them for years and years. The DS graphics arn't exactly groundbreaking, I like the fun games though. I love my PSP for easy wireless internet and music and videos. =]

@K
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm so glad now that I said I didn't want one and opted for a moped instead, which I'm getting this week :D lol well I will get one evetually though, I don't care when it comes out I just know I will end up with 1 :P

Crouch
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Nice comment about Bill Gates rofl! I was hoping to get PS3, but I think a lot of people are gonna be dissapointed when it DOES come out, it doesn't even have a vibrating controller! :P

Neversoft
11-09-2006, 11:08 PM
;2204375']I'm sorry..

BS ALERT

Touch Screen ain't exactly groundbreaking new technology. PDAs have had them for years and years. The DS graphics arn't exactly groundbreaking, I like the fun games though. I love my PSP for easy wireless internet and music and videos. =]

Sorry, but DS Wi-Fi beats the PSP's internet capabilities anyday.

Sony.Com
11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
But if they are true fanboys then they would stay loyal...Like I am.

I hate Xboxs, hate Nitendo...Love Playstation! (Just for the record I hate Xbox the most, at least Nintendo has worked hard for its status)

I couldn't agree more!!!
I too hate nintendo and xbox.

HUGECOOL
12-09-2006, 07:16 AM
I couldn't agree more!!!
I too hate nintendo and xbox.
I'd ask you why you them, but it's most likely that you won't have an original answer, and you don't actually hate these companies, but you feel that your needs have not been satisfied by their content. Or perhaps you just want to get on the hate bandwagon. oO

Bear-Max
13-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd ask you why you them, but it's most likely that you won't have an original answer, and you don't actually hate these companies, but you feel that your needs have not been satisfied by their content. Or perhaps you just want to get on the hate bandwagon. oO

Or perhaps he's just a mindless robotic fanboy. A fanbot, if you will.

Troubling
14-09-2006, 05:11 PM
im just going on the fact the longer we wait the better it will be becuause the xbox 360 had loads of problems when it was first released so this will hopefully cure those problems

HUGECOOL
15-09-2006, 06:50 PM
im just going on the fact the longer we wait the better it will be becuause the xbox 360 had loads of problems when it was first released so this will hopefully cure those problems
Well, that's not exactly true.

You see, all the PS3 parts have already been manufactured with the exception of the blue laser diodes, so Sony has already done whatever error-checking they had to do and are now waiting on the lasers regardless of the state of the older hardware.

alexxxxx
15-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Sorry, but DS Wi-Fi beats the PSP's internet capabilities anyday.

I like my PSP Wi-Fi thanks. =]

Sony.Com
15-09-2006, 10:00 PM
No,
I find microsofts system not as good overall as the ps2.
They are trying to copy sony and nintendo way to much.

Bear-Max
15-09-2006, 10:22 PM
No,
I find microsofts system not as good overall as the ps2.
They are trying to copy sony and nintendo way to much.

In what ways? Microsoft made online gaming on consoles mainstream with Xbox Live - something that is now being copied by Sony and Nintendo with their PNP and WiiConnect24 serivces. Microsoft also improved controller design with the first Xbox with better-placed analogue sticks, and the Xbox has also done a hell of a lot for the FPS genre on consoles.

Sony.Com
16-09-2006, 01:38 AM
They also took the whole general concept from the PS2. Dvd player , same general control design ( button and joystick wise AND placement ) , sony came out with PS2 long before xbox come out. Only when the ps2 came out was when microsoft was really intrested in getting into the market when they saw how much money sony was making.

SimplyTech
16-09-2006, 08:06 AM
In what ways? Microsoft made online gaming on consoles mainstream with Xbox Live - something that is now being copied by Sony and Nintendo with their PNP and WiiConnect24 serivces. Microsoft also improved controller design with the first Xbox with better-placed analogue sticks, and the Xbox has also done a hell of a lot for the FPS genre on consoles.
Not true with nintendo, Nintendo always had plans for online originally it was planned for the dieing N64 but they then decided it wouldnt be popular enough so they waited till the gamecube then developed it and it basically failed due to lack of supported games. I mean afterall nintendo invented wifi.

Also johnz you say ms steals stuff off sony. What has sony ever invented?

---MAD---
16-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Well if you really want it bad I am sure the internet will help ;). I am sure there will be a few sites you can buy the ps3 and get it shipped to where you are :p.

HUGECOOL
16-09-2006, 08:58 AM
They also took the whole general concept from the PS2. Dvd player , same general control design ( button and joystick wise AND placement ) , sony came out with PS2 long before xbox come out. Only when the ps2 came out was when microsoft was really intrested in getting into the market when they saw how much money sony was making.
Which general concept was that? The Playstation 2 was released as an incremental upgrade of the original PLaystation only because the actual Playstation console created a fanbase larger than expected, thus, the PS2 gained instant popularity. "/

You can say Microsoft stole DVD from Sony, but then again, DVD was a new concept at the release of these two consoles, and DVD originated from Toshiba, not Sony. Also, you can argue that Microsoft stole the joystick from the PS2, but interestingly enough, the N64 had a joystick long before the PS2, and even longer than that, the Atari game console sported a joystick as well. So, who stole what again? Microsoft has been interested in the gaming market long before Sony. Microsoft had tried buying off Nintendo in the past in order to go into console gaming, but finally decided to make their own console instead.

You can put water in a glass, but you can't claim you invented water. :/

Well if you really want it bad I am sure the internet will help ;). I am sure there will be a few sites you can buy the ps3 and get it shipped to where you are :P.
Of course the Internet will have them. Most people that are buying a PS3 aren't doing so beacause they want one for themselves, but to resell it for a profit. I suppose if you're desperate enough you'll shell out all the money in the world for one, but I'd rather wait until I'm convinced it's worth it. Besides, I just bought a $3000 computer and I'm not really desperate for the graphical power the PS3 has to offer.

Bear-Max
16-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Not true with nintendo, Nintendo always had plans for online originally it was planned for the dieing N64 but they then decided it wouldnt be popular enough so they waited till the gamecube then developed it and it basically failed due to lack of supported games. I mean afterall nintendo invented wifi.

Also johnz you say ms steals stuff off sony. What has sony ever invented?
Regardless of Nintendo's plans, a centralised online system was done first (successfully) by Microsoft, and that has had an impact on the new generation of consoles.

Plus, I'd like to see some proof that Nintendo invented Wi-Fi, because I don't believe that for a second.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!