PDA

View Full Version : Peter Brock the Australian motor ledgend dead at 61

foxyfox00
08-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Peter Brock the Australian motor ledgend dead at 61
I really cant believe it, first Steve now Peter. All Australia's ledgends are dying out.

Although ambulances were reportedly not called to the accident, which occurred just before midday about 40km out of Perth, police investigators have travelled to the scene.

Brock appeared to lose control of his vehicle on a tight hairpin bend before slamming into a tree, a witness to the fatal crash says.

A rally spectator, identified only as Jock, told Macquarie Radio that he was standing just metres from the site of the accident.

"The back end just slid out and that was it, it was all over," he said.

"The car didn't roll, the back end just slid out from behind him and slammed straight into a tree and it got him right in the driver's door."

In the meantime, the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said it was working with evet officials and police to investigate the crash.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," a CAMS statement said.

The Targa West rally takes place over four days and is divided into two categories, competition and challenge, the latter catering for relatively standard specification road cars.

The rally began in Perth yesterday.

Brock and Hone, in a 2001 Daytona Coupe, were well back in the 80-team field and would have been one of the last teams to begin today's leg.

Brock is a nine-time winner of Australia's most prestigious racing event, the Bathurst 1000.

The 61-year-old father of three rose to national fame for his racing victories in the 70s and 80s, becoming known as "Peter Perfect" and evolving into a full-blown television personality.www.ninemsn.com

alexxxxx
08-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Don't know him soz. :[ Sad anyway.

foxyfox00
08-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Well he was a great motor car racing ledgend that paved the was for current motor GP races over here.

NekkLe
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Can't say i've heard of him :s

:Hazel
08-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think many English will have heard of him, sad anyway :(

foxyfox00
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Probarbly not but I thought if anyone Australia reads it . . .
He was a great driver =)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!