PDA

View Full Version : FTP and MySQL tutorial

beer
13-09-2006, 09:57 AM
OK I could not find one of these (i did use the search button first) so I thought id make one. Here goes:

Ok I got annoyed with telling peeps how to do this so i thought id write them a tutorial on here so I can link them to it. Also this is my first tutorial like EVER so please dont put me down if it looks crap or if i put any errors.

Right ere goes.

First, you need a host to put your website on. You can either go for free ones like www.addyour.net (http://www.addyour.net/) or you can go for paid. If you want any host your gonna after google it. Search for web hosting on google. Like i said if you do want a free host you can go for addyour as they give you a free domain aswell. I think theres 9 different ones and the shortest ones are .u13.biz or .t34.biz (i prefer .t34.biz). If you go for paid you may or may not get a domain for it. Same goes with free. If you dont get a domain, search domain names on google. Your host should give you some DNS (i think thats what their called) addresses (2 of) to point your domain to once you have purchased it. Once you have your host and domain you can move onto step 2.

Step 2:
To put your website on your host, you will need an FTP program to connect to it. You can download a brilliant one at http://www.smartftp.com/. Once you have your FTP client, you need to connect to your host. To do this in smart FTP theres a couple of bars at the top. You need to type in your domain, your username that you registered with the hosting and the pass you registered with the hosting. Leave the port at its default (21). Once you have entered the details in SmartFTP, press the green arrow button. If successful, it will connect and you will see a list of folders. To upload, simply go to the folder on your computer where you keep your website and click edit>select all. Then simply click and hold on a file with your left mouse button and drag it into SmartFTP. It needs to be dropped in the folder called public_html or if there isnt one, the folder called www. Then simply sit back and wait for the files to upload. Once their uploaded, you may need to CHMOD a few files to a specific number. If the script asks you to do this, right click on the files/folders it asks you to CHMOD and select properties/CHMOD and enter the number in the little box where it should already say a 3-digit number i.e. 666 or something likr that. Change that to the number it asks you. You can then go to your domain and view the site/install the script. If you can't see your site, you have either uploaded it to the wrong folder or your private data needs clearing (it does that to me). Im not sure how you do it in IE but in Firefox go to tools>clear private data. Your site should then work. If you want to update your site, simply re-upload and a window should pop-up. When it does, you need to select overwrite. Then thats it! You now have your own site! Enjoy!

I bet your now thinking "what about MySQL?"
Well here it is:
To create a MySQL database in cpanel, simply log into your hosting's cpanel and you should see a link that says MySQL databases. Click that. Then at the top it should say "create database". Simply type in a name and click the create database button. If you want to create tables in a MySQL database, simply click the link at the bottom that says "phpmyadmin". This will open a pop-up window where you can administer MySQL tables. theres a link at the left of the screen called SQL. Click that then a white window should come up that says "run MySQL query on database XXX (where XXX refers to your database name). You can then copy and paste MySQL queries from things like DJ panels etc. Its not often that you will have to do this because most scripts generate the MySQL queries automatically but you will have to create the database yourself.

Thats it!!!!! Enjoy the tutorial!

NellyMc
13-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Nice + rep when i am uncautioned

beer
13-09-2006, 12:43 PM

ADAM:
13-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Good tutorial! BUT i think images will make it better and easier to read :)

NellyMc
13-09-2006, 02:17 PM
You mean easier to understand you can't read image xD
Good tutorial! BUT i think images will make it better and easier to read :)

beer
13-09-2006, 02:21 PM
theres screenshots of SmartFTP on their site. And screenshots will only make it cluttered

ADAM:
13-09-2006, 03:03 PM
You mean easier to understand you can't read image xD

Sorry :)

I ment to say easier to understand :)

beer
14-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Lol ok

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!