PDA

View Full Version : Friends

Zample
14-09-2006, 05:07 AM
Dan thought there was something wrong. He not much knew it, but he sensed it. Usually as he passed Haylie in the hallways, she would look at him and smile, give a little 'hello', or possibly even walk up to him and have a small conversation with him in the way to class. But now, she rarely looked at him. When she did, her eyes were filled with mixed hatred and sorrow. This made Dan think a lot. Of course, it's not like he liked her or anything, of course not. She was a good friend, and that was it. He was sure that is exactly what she thought of him.
But lately, Dan didn't have much time for Haylie. His girlfriend, a very popular and pretty girl by the name of Shell, had a very nice lunch table, so he decided he'd be a great gentleman to sit with his girlfriend at lunch. Plus, sitting there would make him much more popular, right? This meant that Dan and Haylie only saw eachother in the hallways, but that was usually when Dan was walking Shell to her classes, so he couldn't talk to Haylie then. So he just resolved to ignoring her presence, but he did so in the most loving way he could (Though he didn't know if she knew that.).
The only class he had with Haylie was Science, but they sat across the room from eachother and two of Shell's friends were in that class. Dan spent his Science period talking to Shell's friends.
Dan started to miss her presence after a while of this, of course. For some reason he felt an odd feeling in the pit of his stomach every time she gave him that hatefully sad look. It was as if she was going to cry out in anger, and he just couldn't take that. Dan loved Haylie... as a friend, of course.
The next day, Dan walked into school. He heard Shell and one of her friends passing a little rumour.
"Someone is going to ask out Haylie today!"Shell whispered.
"Which Haylie?" Dan asked curiously.
"The one you used to be friends with?" Shell replied.
Dan was taken aback. Someone was going to ask out Haylie? His Haylie? Anger boiled inside him. But then suddenly, the boiling anger turned into a monster as he realized that Shell just used the term "used to be" with him and Haylie. Dan stormed away from Shell, leaving her behind. He must see Haylie, and now.
When he spotted Haylie, he ran to her.
"I hear someone is going to ask you out today," Dan panted when he caught up to her.
"Maybe," Haylie replied, seeming ferocious but surprised Dan was talking to her.
"I have a question," Dan said. When he realized what he just said, he had to think of a real question.
Ask her out. A tiny voice in his mind said.
But I don't like her like that. Dan answered it.
You do to.
I don't.
You do.
I don't.
You get a feeling when you see her.
It's just me missing a good friend.
You got angry when someone wanted to ask her out.
I want to protect her heart.
You don't like her.
Exactly.
You love her.
Exac-- wait. I don't love Haylie!
Don't fight yourself.
No.. I can't. Stop thinking about it, Dan. You don't like her. She's a friend.
You're in denial, Dan.
Shut up, Dan.
Oh, talking to your own conscience, now, are we?
Oh, jeese..

"Will you go out with me?" Dan found him saying.
Haylie looked stunned.
"But- I-I thought you had Shell and her group of cloned slaves?" Haylie said bitterly.
"They're gone now.." Dan answered.
"You broke up with her?"
"Fair point," Dan laughed. He looked around at Shell. "Hey, Shell! I'm breaking up with you, okay?"
"WHAT?" A shriek replied.
Haylie laughed. "Sure, okay."

So they walked together.

A couple weeks later, something dawned on Dan, and he hated himself for not telling her before. Haylie and Dan were still going out.
They were walking, hand-in-hand, after school to eachothers houses. They lived nearby to eachother.
"Haylie?" Dan asked.
Haylie made a small "hm" noise to show she was there and listening.
"I missed you." Dan smiled.
Haylie paused in walking and looked at him.
Then she gave him a small kiss and said, "I missed you too."

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!