PDA

View Full Version : Today's Music= Disgrace

lil:quizical:quigly
23-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Todays music whether it be 'punk' aka green day, 'rap' aka P diddy or whatever thay call him, and all this other **** has got to be one of the worst time of music in the last generation (counting the 1900's). All of todays song contain no
feeling whatsoever, and there songs are EXTREMELY easy to play if its a rock song. I say there should be some bands who actually know how to play and write music come back to our generation. I want the 60's and 70's back where musicians smoked drugs to get an awesome song (all the greats say drugs helped them in writing songs). If this happens where the world actually gets good music I would be the happiest person alive.

btw I dont do drugs if your wandering that.

/end rant.

CjFlame
23-02-2005, 09:20 AM
You may be right. Everybody who hates on current age music may have a point, but let me ask you this.

Back many decades ago, there were idols. There were superstars who made good music. What did people say when Ray Charles got some spotlight?

No matter how popular a superstar gets, he will never be loved by all even though sometimes it may seem that way. Run DMC was hated for a while, because nobody could comprehend the idea of "rap". No woman would dare act the way Madonna did, and she got heat for it. For how long? She still is by some.

Everybody has their own taste. In your mind, most music this age is ****. Okay, sure. In YOUR eyes. Music talent is based on what there has been. You compare it to historic music. One day this will be history, as well.

My point? Music changes. Artists change. New ones appear. Old ones fizzle.

23-02-2005, 02:51 PM
You may be right. Everybody who hates on current age music may have a point, but let me ask you this.

Back many decades ago, there were idols. There were superstars who made good music. What did people say when Ray Charles got some spotlight?

No matter how popular a superstar gets, he will never be loved by all even though sometimes it may seem that way. Run DMC was hated for a while, because nobody could comprehend the idea of "rap". No woman would dare act the way Madonna did, and she got heat for it. For how long? She still is by some.

Everybody has their own taste. In your mind, most music this age is ****. Okay, sure. In YOUR eyes. Music talent is based on what there has been. You compare it to historic music. One day this will be history, as well.

My point? Music changes. Artists change. New ones appear. Old ones fizzle.

Your still not getting my point, today companies such as MTV or whatnot get some fake bimbo with a big rack or nice looking body to come and sing some songs, this bimbo gets all the lyrics written for her, same with the music, and while this is happening she is making millions, I just cant understand how people with no talent what so ever are making these millions. And I doubt this age of music will be history, heres an example: a music video, lets say by green day come out brand new, its on top of the charts for 3 weeks, and is played on the radio constintly for about 4 monthes. After this time period people start to forget about this music video as it is getting old so they want more. But look at the beatles, there music from the 60's is just as fresh as it was when it just came out.

lil-rarez
23-02-2005, 07:42 PM
OMG IM GOING TO HAVE TO LAY SOME RAP HISTORY DOWN FOR YOU:
1.Rap started from blues, blues turned into reggae and ragga. ragga+regggae+ blues=R n B then came rap
2. There are the godfathers of rap: Dr dre, Run DMC, Jam master flash ect.
3.Some of the greatest writers todate are rappers and rnb artists but the thing is that some people dont understand the words.
4. Ray Charles Great Man One of the best writers and singers of our time :D

Dave,
23-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Rock bands do write their own lyrics and music. The Beatles are great, but most people have never heard a Beatles song, its just the people who were about in the 60s and 70s who still go on about them. Also drugs may help artists write better songs but it doens't help their health. How do oyu know a song won't be talked baout in the next 40 years, you don't And why not write your own flipping music if you are so fed up with what is produced now, I would like to see that happen!

24-02-2005, 06:15 AM
OMG IM GOING TO HAVE TO LAY SOME RAP HISTORY DOWN FOR YOU:
1.Rap started from blues, blues turned into reggae and ragga. ragga+regggae+ blues=R n B then came rap
2. There are the godfathers of rap: Dr dre, Run DMC, Jam master flash ect.
3.Some of the greatest writers todate are rappers and rnb artists but the thing is that some people dont understand the words.
4. Ray Charles Great Man One of the best writers and singers of our time :D

Nah all this rap has no feeling what so ever and ray charles wasnt rap.

24-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Rock bands do write their own lyrics and music. The Beatles are great, but most people have never heard a Beatles song, its just the people who were about in the 60s and 70s who still go on about them. Also drugs may help artists write better songs but it doens't help their health. How do oyu know a song won't be talked baout in the next 40 years, you don't And why not write your own flipping music if you are so fed up with what is produced now, I would like to see that happen!

Alot have people have heard a beatle song, it would be ignorant to say people havnt. And am I from the 60's or 70's? No, and you dont need to be from that time to listen to that music, I know drugs affect health but they did it anyway to get a vibe, they didnt really care if it was bad for there heath, how can you remember a song from today 40 years from now it you cant even remember what
a good song was 3 years ago? And I never really brought my talent (if any) into the discussion, Im saying people in general if you actuallly read my starting post.

:Illusion - Please don't double post, simply edit your previous post.

Escalabar
24-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Todays music whether it be 'punk' aka green day, 'rap' aka P diddy or whatever thay call him, and all this other **** has got to be one of the worst time of music in the last generation (counting the 1900's). All of todays song contain no
feeling whatsoever, and there songs are EXTREMELY easy to play if its a rock song. I say there should be some bands who actually know how to play and write music come back to our generation. I want the 60's and 70's back where musicians smoked drugs to get an awesome song (all the greats say drugs helped them in writing songs). If this happens where the world actually gets good music I would be the happiest person alive.

btw I dont do drugs if your wandering that.

/end rant.

Dam man! Calm ya' passion! We're all entitled to our views, of course, but I disagree... I think a lot of songs these days have feelings and are dam good :)

25-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Dam man! Calm ya' passion! We're all entitled to our views, of course, but I disagree... I think a lot of songs these days have feelings and are dam good :)

Justify that answer.

Pulchritudinous
25-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Well your being a bit narrow-minded...

Rap + rock have slowly started to dominate the music industry, but it doesn't mean your nan's gonna be headbanging or breakdancing round her living room, beause she likes what music is produced in her era.

CjFlame
25-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Rap + rock have slowly started to dominate the music industry, but it doesn't mean your nan's gonna be headbanging or breakdancing round her living room, beause she likes what music is produced in her era.

Just like it is very possible that in a few decades, we will be lecturing our kids about how the "new" music is lousy and music from "our generation" was better.

26-02-2005, 12:04 AM

Your a bit narrow minded to think that a 'nan' would be headbanging in the first place. Also to think that all the people are 'old' is also narrow minded.

Just like it is very possible that in a few decades, we will be lecturing our kids about how the "new" music is lousy and music from "our generation" was better.

The fans didnt critisize older music in the 60's and 70's because they actually had good music.

Dave,
26-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Well you just litsen to your old music on your own and keep quiet and we will listen to ours :)

Revis
26-02-2005, 05:05 PM
At the moment, radio and tv stations saturize the market with only a handfull of bands with little variety, a song can be played and played and played, and what at first seemed to be a good song ends up just plain annoying, but back in the "good ol' days" there was no Mtv or Music Channels to keep playing and playing these songs, and so people remember them as good songs where-as we consider our songs annoying through amount of airplay. This is why i think people like older music more than newer music but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

26-02-2005, 07:36 PM
At the moment, radio and tv stations saturize the market with only a handfull of bands with little variety, a song can be played and played and played, and what at first seemed to be a good song ends up just plain annoying, but back in the "good ol' days" there was no Mtv or Music Channels to keep playing and playing these songs, and so people remember them as good songs where-as we consider our songs annoying through amount of airplay. This is why i think people like older music more than newer music but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Im talking about the actual talent that the bands have, not the amount of airplay they get.

Well you just litsen to your old music on your own and keep quiet and we will listen to ours :)

So you think im the only one who listens to the good stuff?

Dave,
26-02-2005, 08:32 PM
So you think im the only one who listens to the good stuff?

I listen to old and new, loads of people do but they don't complain about new stuff and think musicians should take drugs to please people like you.

27-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I listen to old and new, loads of people do but they don't complain about new stuff and think musicians should take drugs to please people like you.

Actually on some other forums people do complain about the new stuff. Theres bound to be people who are going to complain, im not the only one.

lil-rarez
27-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Btw I NEVER SAID RAY CHARLES WAS A RAP ARTIST YOU ASSUMED BECAUSE IT WAS IN MY POST RAY WAS A PIANO PLAYER AND SINGER
HE ALSO DID FILMS I.E THE BLUE BROTHERS

27-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Btw I NEVER SAID RAY CHARLES WAS A RAP ARTIST YOU ASSUMED BECAUSE IT WAS IN MY POST RAY WAS A PIANO PLAYER AND SINGER
HE ALSO DID FILMS I.E THE BLUE BROTHERS

Thats why you put Ray Charles Under your 'Rap History' section?

Mit
27-02-2005, 09:11 PM
i think it depends wat music ure into, just because u dont like it does not mean it is not good. 'Hey ya' by outkast is likely to become a classic and be there with all those other songs. u cant genralise

Mit
27-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Your still not getting my point, today companies such as MTV or whatnot get some fake bimbo with a big rack or nice looking body to come and sing some songs, this bimbo gets all the lyrics written for her, same with the music, and while this is happening she is making millions, I just cant understand how people with no talent what so ever are making these millions. And I doubt this age of music will be history, heres an example: a music video, lets say by green day come out brand new, its on top of the charts for 3 weeks, and is played on the radio constintly for about 4 monthes. After this time period people start to forget about this music video as it is getting old so they want more. But look at the beatles, there music from the 60's is just as fresh as it was when it just came out.

there were mMANY 70s bands exactly like that, not everyone was as talented as Michael Jackson.

27-02-2005, 10:16 PM
there were mMANY 70s bands exactly like that, not everyone was as talented as Michael Jackson.

Led Zeppelin
Janice Joplin
Jim Morrison (The Doors)
John Lennon (The Beatles)
Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Freddie Mercurey (Queen)
And the list goes on.'

i think it depends wat music ure into, just because u dont like it does not mean it is not good. 'Hey ya' by outkast is likely to become a classic and be there with all those other songs. u cant genralise

Hey ya a classic? Doubt it ive heard that song its practically saying Heyyy Yaaa all the way through.

Dave,
27-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I have to agree with you there. But there are soem good music produced nowdays. Its only the maufactured pop stars that spoil it.

27-02-2005, 11:40 PM
I have to agree with you there. But there are soem good music produced nowdays. Its onl the maufactured pop stars that spoil it.

Ya like Ashley Simpson and those other people.

LittleT
28-02-2005, 10:11 AM
da ppl who i h8 r ppl who go in it 4 da money, eg.one hit wonders. and ppl comin frm programs like pop idol and x-factor, basically, they last bout 6 months, they make some money and live off that 4 da rest ov dere life, those ppl r ruining da musak industary, the true musak lovers r still out there and make musak cus they want 2 change genre's 4 eva eg.tupac, maybe ded but his legacy lives on. those kinda ov ppl r gd 4 da musak industary

28-02-2005, 02:58 PM
da ppl who i h8 r ppl who go in it 4 da money, eg.one hit wonders. and ppl comin frm programs like pop idol and x-factor, basically, they last bout 6 months, they make some money and live off that 4 da rest ov dere life, those ppl r ruining da musak industary, the true musak lovers r still out there and make musak cus they want 2 change genre's 4 eva eg.tupac, maybe ded but his legacy lives on. those kinda ov ppl r gd 4 da musak industary

Rap is c.rap anyway you look at it.

Dave,
28-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Got to agree with you on that one again. I prefer the more indie/rock bands that atleast can perform live and write their owns songs and play their own instruments.

xJoeYx
28-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Idiot, why type like that???

well erm yeh, i think the music people generally listen to in the pop, rnb, rap genre is ****, but i dont really care to complain.

Mit
28-02-2005, 09:44 PM
u say drugs helps get that vibe, what do u think half of the RnB set up have been sniffing, sherbert. :p

Mit
28-02-2005, 09:46 PM
ps ashley simpson is rubbish, i hate her songs. they are so bad!

Mit
28-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Led Zeppelin
Janice Joplin
Jim Morrison (The Doors)
John Lennon (The Beatles)
Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Freddie Mercurey (Queen)
And the list goes on.'
so go on then :P

Hey ya a classic? Doubt it ive heard that song its practically saying Heyyy Yaaa all the way through.

erm well u can hardly call some of the 70s hits musical masterpieces. some of the 'we will rock u' great lirics :D not

Dave,
28-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Lol don't triple post :P

I do agree Queen weren't exactly the best. Although The Beatles are legends. I should one day listen to my dads collection.

28-02-2005, 11:47 PM
erm well u can hardly call some of the 70s hits musical masterpieces. some of the 'we will rock u' great lirics :D not

Sure you can, infact they were masterpieces, thats why people still listen to them today, and I never said that song was a masterpiece, its more of a stadium anthem, it wasnt really supposed to be deep or meaningful lyrics wise, but it is a good song for sports teams and stuff.

paul!e
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
The Gallagher Brothers

Oasis.. legends in there own right

started out on the dole, an made it to rock star status... Still the best rock band around today, not only for the music but the style an character.. they epitomise rock
An there just 2 normal mancunian lads :eusa_danc

01-03-2005, 02:53 PM
The Gallagher Brothers

Oasis.. legends in there own right

started out on the dole, an made it to rock star status... Still the best rock band around today, not only for the music but the style an character.. they epitomise rock
An there just 2 normal mancunian lads :eusa_danc

I saw them on TV, and I didnt think they were that great.

Dave,
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I think they just copy The Beatles, but they are good

But Queen are really rubbish.

Scriptermone
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Long Live ... Tupac Shakur!

02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I think they just copy The Beatles, but they are good

But Queen are really rubbish.

Rubbish? You didnt really give much reason, so im taking it that you've never heard them to appreacate their greatness.

Dave,
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I have heard alsmot all of their songs, the lyrics are rubbish, the band is rubbish. Everything baout them is rubbish.

stanfordstud2
02-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Rap is c.rap anyway you look at it.

Thats because you dont know rap. rap isnt Nelly, Gay Unit, Snoop Dogg.
Rap was socially conscious and entertaining, then MTV decided that it was time to make money off it and voila, garbage started apearing. The proclaimed best "old school" rappers were the likes of Run DMC and LL Cool J. but even then there were still good underground groups. But sinse everybodys out for the money nowadays, even some of the good rappers are putting gay songs out. Nas is a good example. Nas was a typical BK rapper, and didnt go towards to MTV seen for a while, and even when he did, his songs werent bad (it aint hard to tell, One Love). Now hes putting out garbage "hit" after garbage hit (that annoying one with all the kids singing is an example).

I dont blame you for hating todays music, because i do too. But you cant hate all rap. You can hate all of todays rap because its mainstream but you havint heard most of the rap, in the late 80s early 90s.

As for the popstars of today, i couldnt agree with you more. People who say Britney spears is there "idol" make me sick. and Ashley simpson is anouther. only a fraction of these "popstars" can sing a note, and you can usually tell which ones those are (they usually dont need a gimmick like say Avril Lavigne and britney spears do), but there still garbage non the less. American idol is anouther factor of the maddness.

As for the guitar i like alot of Blues with heavy guitar, like BB King. Thats what i like to play

03-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Thats because you dont know rap. rap isnt Nelly, Gay Unit, Snoop Dogg.
Rap was socially conscious and entertaining, then MTV decided that it was time to make money off it and voila, garbage started apearing. The proclaimed best "old school" rappers were the likes of Run DMC and LL Cool J. but even then there were still good underground groups. But sinse everybodys out for the money nowadays, even some of the good rappers are putting gay songs out. Nas is a good example. Nas was a typical BK rapper, and didnt go towards to MTV seen for a while, and even when he did, his songs werent bad (it aint hard to tell, One Love). Now hes putting out garbage "hit" after garbage hit (that annoying one with all the kids singing is an example).

I dont blame you for hating todays music, because i do too. But you cant hate all rap. You can hate all of todays rap because its mainstream but you havint heard most of the rap, in the late 80s early 90s.

As for the popstars of today, i couldnt agree with you more. People who say Britney spears is there "idol" make me sick. and Ashley simpson is anouther. only a fraction of these "popstars" can sing a note, and you can usually tell which ones those are (they usually dont need a gimmick like say Avril Lavigne and britney spears do), but there still garbage non the less. American idol is anouther factor of the maddness.

As for the guitar i like alot of Blues with heavy guitar, like BB King. Thats what i like to play

Your right, I hear from other people that say older rap is alot better than todays I just havnt heard it so it wasnt right for me to judge it that quickly. Also I agree with the popstarts they make me sick. There making millions off of there song writers, its even worst when kids start to idolize them like you said.

stanfordstud2
03-03-2005, 02:15 AM
just wanna clear up that when i said Run DMC and LL Cool J were any good, i mean that MTV made them that way, and they were as much garbage as 50 cent is now

:Gray
03-03-2005, 02:17 AM
hey everyone. On habbohotel, Im ..gray.. yeah.. so how is everyone???<3

03-03-2005, 03:52 AM
just wanna clear up that when i said Run DMC and LL Cool J were any good, i mean that MTV made them that way, and they were as much garbage as 50 cent is now

I thought you meant the old school stuff was good, I already knew all those rappers were garbage.

ttranquility.
03-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Ok. Stop. Greenday goes wayy back when they were all like 14,and now they are in there 30's and they DO write they're OWN lyrics. And,i agree with the 70's and 60's to come back. But if it were to come back think of the clothes. The Hair. and the most ugly of all the make-up. (No i dont wear any. escept black eyeliner.) And who are you to say that they havent wrote they're lyrics? Did you do a biography on them or something?

03-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Ok. Stop. Greenday goes wayy back when they were all like 14,and now they are in there 30's and they DO write they're OWN lyrics. And,i agree with the 70's and 60's to come back. But if it were to come back think of the clothes. The Hair. and the most ugly of all the make-up. (No i dont wear any. escept black eyeliner.) And who are you to say that they havent wrote they're lyrics? Did you do a biography on them or something?

Too bad Greenday's lyrics are horrible, and there songs are extremely easy to play. And I said I wanted the style of music to come back not the clothes. There is no biography for the 60's and 70's but all of the bands wrote lyrics and the music to go with it, I thought everybody knew that. This generation its known that most of todays 'artists' dont even write the lyrics nor the music, but in the 60's and 70's it was known that they did.

stanfordstud2
04-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Too bad Greenday's lyrics are horrible, and there songs are extremely easy to play. And I said I wanted the style of music to come back not the clothes. There is no biography for the 60's and 70's but all of the bands wrote lyrics and the music to go with it, I thought everybody knew that. This generation its known that most of todays 'artists' dont even write the lyrics nor the music, but in the 60's and 70's it was known that they did.

yes but some old songs are very easy to play...ironman is a good example. still a good song but most people can play it

04-03-2005, 03:29 AM
yes but some old songs are very easy to play...ironman is a good example. still a good song but most people can play it

Yeah, but Greenday's songs arnt very good songs because they lack feeling and depth. Plus ironman is still even harder than what Greenday can come up with. Deep purple is also a good example though. Example for Smoke on the Water.

E string: 0-3-5-0-6-5-0-3-5-3-0

Mit
04-03-2005, 07:14 AM
ur biased completely, ur wearing a blind fold which u dont want to take off. Fine have your opinion but music today is not rubbsuh

04-03-2005, 03:03 PM
ur biased completely, ur wearing a blind fold which u dont want to take off. Fine have your opinion but music today is not rubbsuh

Biased? heres some proof to show your wrong.

Click here for proof (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs?rnd=1109948511514&has-player=unknown)

Notice how most of the songs are from the 60's and 70's

Fingerboots
04-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Your still not getting my point, today companies such as MTV or whatnot get some fake bimbo with a big rack or nice looking body to come and sing some songs, this bimbo gets all the lyrics written for her, same with the music, and while this is happening she is making millions, I just cant understand how people with no talent what so ever are making these millions.
That just screams out Girls Aloud to me..
I couldn't agree with you more about this thread by the way.

Hanurr
06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Audioslave writes their own music. They are an amazing band if you didn't already know. ;]

Corey777
07-03-2005, 01:45 AM

May I point out that Hey Ya is on your "Top 500" of all times. So is Lose yourself, by Eminem. Examples of todays music. You say that todays rap is garbage too. Eminem is todays rap. So is Stan by Eminem.
Uhh, I believe I can Fly by R. Kelly is on there. That song may not be listened to so much anymore, but R. Kelly is a top artist today.

So, I wouldnt say that all of todays music is rubbish. Some is, some isnt.

SkaKid77
08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I would also have to agree that "Popular" music is nothing but "attractive" women wearing next to nothing in music videos/on stage etc.

That seems to be the only way they can sell records...guess they never tried to just sing?

I think punk/rock etc has more feeling into it because they are often singing about different issues, such as politics (against Bush) and others things i cant think of right now, whereas RnB is just meaningless and only used to get people dancing while drunk off their heads in clubs ;)

Then again it is down to choice, i think that older music is better than most of todays music and such classic rock bands/artists have died out or are on reality tv (Ozzy :rolleyes: )

As for the first post about Greenday, you need to realise that they have been around for 15 years so are only at the very beginning of this generation of music, also i assume you are including Nirvana too ;)

Ezzie.
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I agree with ya Def Leapord, Queen, Black Sabbath, Guns n Roses they were the best rock/heavy metal bands

tommyddr
08-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Okay, I like most genres. However, most genres only have a few good songs.

Bad Rock- Anything on TV/Radio stations.
Good Rock- Mindless Self Indulgence

Bad RnB/Rap/Hip-Hop (mainstream Breakbeat)- Almost everything in the genre.
Good Mainstream Breakbeat- Uhhh... um... maybe this genre DOESN'T have any good songs...

Why is it that everyone here is MB or Rock? Whatever happened to electronica? Electronica is the reason MB exists for god's sake.

Clo
08-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Idiot, why type like that???

well erm yeh, i think the music people generally listen to in the pop, rnb, rap genre is ****, but i dont really care to complain.

Erm, I'm Sorry I Know This Has Nothing To Do With The Subject Of The Post But It's Up To The Poster How They Use Their Knowledge Of Vocabulary, As It Isn't An English Lesson. And I Don't Really Think That The Person Needs To Be Called An Idiot Just Because You People Don't Like Her Typing. :eusa_wall :eusa_wall
Anyway I Might Aswell Say Something About The Music And What Not, Eerrrm Well, I Prefer R'n'B More Than 70's 80's Music, But Then Again I Know I'll Get A Nasty Reply Back Just Because I Like New Music :s Nevermind, Personally I Think It Rules. :eusa_clap

Pawf
08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
You gotta love the real heavy ****!
The KnoT all the way! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!