PDA

View Full Version : Dan Brown

Alterate
15-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow he is an amazing author. I had never read a full book in my entire life before I began reading his. He is a very clever guy, the idea's that go into his book's are amazing. I prefer Angles & Demon's to his more popular book The Da Vinci Code but they both have a very good plot.

Anyway anybody else read his book's, if so what are your view's on them..?

omgabear
15-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Hes got a constructive explanation scheme to increase suspense or sense of excitement throughout Da Vinci which was good, makes it seem a little more incredelous. I loved his style of writing.

If you like Dan Brown, and want to go to something more challenging, read 'The Hobbit'. One of the most creatively structured books to date, you will love it. Fantastic read.

Jamie!
15-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Never read any of his books but when in English at school and someone mentions the Da Vinci Code he always says it really badly written and that he aint a good author?

But I dunno...

clar_xo
15-09-2006, 02:51 PM
i never read any of his books.

FlyingJesus
15-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I read The DaVinci Code as we had it in the house and I enjoy reading, but to be honest it didn't strike me as being that great. People talk about how wonderful it is and how amazing Dan Brown is, but to be brutally honest I think I could write a better book than that (given enough time and motivation ^_^). As Mr Bear said however, The Hobbit is an incredible book. People go on about Lord of the Rings because it's had all the publicity from films and merchandising, but The Hobbit in my eyes is a much better book than any of the 3 LOTR books.

If you want a really good read that's challenging and quite a bit more adult than Dan Brown or Tolkien (not pr0n books, just adult in terms of reading level) I highly suggest the author Roger Zelazny. In fact, even if you won't understand a word of it you should read his books, they're that good.

Jacketh
15-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels&Demons, I loved them both the same. His other works like deception point though and Digital fortress where a real disspointment =[ Though, you can't beat anything that opposes religion/The church, in my opinion. :D

PaintYourTarget
15-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Digital Fortress was my favourite tbh. Such huge plot twists. I loved the way the main suspect changed throughout the book.
Deception Point was slightly disapointing, but they rest have been awesome.

RedStratocas
15-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Ive read DVC, but I need to read the rest.

Bear-Max
15-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Dan Brown has good plots, but executes them badly. He really leaves a lot of plot holes. Personally I don't rate him as a writer, but I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code if only for its pace and suspense.

I don't think you can get "more adult" than Tolkein, but then I don't like the Lord of the Rings either. Far too wordy.

I'd recommend Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet if you're hungry for fantasy, or as a superior alternative the The Da Vinci Code, read The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne.

Kymux
16-09-2006, 08:56 AM
He has the writing of an artist. The way he puts his words together is superb.

I was stunned at the books.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!