PDA

View Full Version : Are Movie/Sports Stars Overpaid?

Binary-Finary
19-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Are Movie/Sports Stars Overpaid?

Give Me Your Views Please, And Tell Me Why You Think That:)

uh huh her
19-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes.
So they 'entertain' people, but think about the doctors/nurses/police/firefighters who spend their day saving peoples lifes. They get paid no where near as much a footballer or movie star does.

Smiddy
19-09-2006, 04:44 PM
If you think Football stars get paid alot.. move to America, see how much they pay there sporting heros from Basketball, baseball, American Football.

But the problem is they get sponsored to wear the kits provided. And the big money companies pay huge ammounts to have there logo shown on kits / stadiums as they know it will increase the selling of the product. (So say Rio Ferdinand of Man United has a clause in his contract (I think) in which he agrees to wear the shirt, and the paycheck he gets is partly money from the sponsor (in this case, "AIG")).
Same with celebrities and Tv advertisements, they're paids lot for that.

bum
19-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes. I think tv sitcoms are the worst, Will & grace, Friends etc. Eric Mcormak gets paid $200,000 for every episode of will & grace he starred in "/

Charles
19-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Yes. Footballers don't really deserve it, sure, they train. Play once, maybe twice a week but like £75,000 a week. Come on now.
Movie stars do desvere some money. Purely because they have to learn way too many lines for one film.

Lubricant
19-09-2006, 05:09 PM
The actors in Desperate Housewives, I think, got way too overpaid. Can't remember her name but she got $1m per episode ;l

Azul
19-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Footballers train every day actually, not to say they deserve what they earn. But if clubs are willing to offer that much, you really cannot blame them.

Jamie!
19-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah they get paid way to much in my eyes. I mean, they should get a fair bit of money as it is their jobs etc, but $1million per episode and £110,000 a week is way over the top

dirrty
19-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes,
How much they get paid compared jobs that actually do something is stupid.
Like teachers who educate children of the future get paid pennies compared to football players who kick a ball around a pitch :o

micky.blue.eyes
19-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes. I think tv sitcoms are the worst, Will & grace, Friends etc. Eric Mcormak gets paid $200,000 for every episode of will & grace he starred in "/

That's nothing! The actors of friends got almost 1 million per episode for the last episodes (before they decided to continue again).

I don't think movie stars are overpaid, it's really hard work and you have almost no privacy, tickets are like, 4 pounds each? (Depends where you live and what movie you go to), millions of people watch those movies, it would be unfair if it would all go to the director. But I think they could give more to the music people and special effects people (what ever they're called) and stunt mans, etc. They do a lot of work aswell.

Oh and doctors do get paid a lot, not as much as movie stars, but movie stars work harder. Doctors get paid a lot for simple things like an examination and stuff like that.

cocaine
19-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I thought friends is gone for good?

-Soph-
19-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Hell yes.

People saving peoples life should be payed more than them.

Misawa
19-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Film stars I don't believe are overpaid, but Soccer players? Of course. They do nothing to get paid like 150K a week. What, play one game and train? Waste of space.

Eamonn
19-09-2006, 07:51 PM
All the girls in Friends got £500,000 per episode and the lads £300,000 and hell yeah are they overpaid !! and whoever said that all Doctors have to do is do an examination and thats really it are they like mentally ******ed ?

RedStratocas
19-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I dont think so, it's all buisness really. Sure, people who save lives are more important, but no matter who gets money in the end there's always people in the end that complain about it

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Football stars are. Not so sure about Movie Stars. They actually have a good talent and work alot harder, and go through more stress. A football star ust has to do a few exercices.

I think £2,000 to £5,000 is good enough pay for a football star. They don't need sports cars/hummers/saloons to cart a few boots etc about. They can do it in a Corsa, Fiesta or any other small vehicle.

FlyingJesus
19-09-2006, 09:16 PM
If they didn't get this sort of money then the whole economy would suffer.

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Meh, too lazy to figure out why. Do explain? Also, surely there is a way round that?

FlyingJesus
19-09-2006, 09:27 PM
There will always be the rich and the super-rich. Sports and acting are "dream" jobs, as not only do they come with money, but also fame. They give people something to aspire to - hence why so many people think they can make it big on the stage or on the pitch.

If the massive wages go to a job where it's qualifications rather than natural skills that are needed, anyone who knows how to work hard can get that and economy suffers through overload of high-wage jobs. Actors and sportspeople however are paid by their own independant clubs/agents/directors/sponsors etc., and so these top people can choose who they employ and at what price. Also, they are rarely government funded, and so paying an actor £14,000,000 for a film won't make a country bankrupt, it'll simply make a hole in someone's wallet until the film revenue makes up for it :P

webster2
19-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes. Footballers don't really deserve it, sure, they train. Play once, maybe twice a week but like £75,000 a week. Come on now.
Movie stars do desvere some money. Purely because they have to learn way too many lines for one film.

yeh footballers just become pro overnight dont they, there was me thinking they have worked hard since they were a child
footballers deserve it, if theres no football theres nothing to talk about lol
well if ur a geek u cn talk about space nd **** but theres nothing to look forward to if ur a geek just tests i suppose nd wen the new oxford dictornary is out

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 09:34 PM
But isn't working hard for qualitifications harder to get than natural skills? Think of the phrase, Brain vs Brawn. Anyone can be tough and have skills. But being smart with qualitifications is far harder to achieve.

I only think Footballers are over paid. I don't see why other than they get alot of money from sponsors. A footballers skills are hardly worth alot, and with a little bit of effort, or natural skills, you can accomplish skills like a footballer. Less people can be smart, but just a bit more can be skillful, if that makes sense?

yeh footballers just become pro overnight dont they, there was me thinking they have worked hard since they were a child
well if ur a geek u cn talk about space nd **** but theres nothing to look forward to if ur a geek just tests i suppose nd wen the new oxford dictornary is out
Ha, stereotyping pin head!

There is nothing else to talk about? "DId you see Beckham kick the ball forward to Rooney? Then back to Beckham? Then back to Rooney into the goal?" Wow, great conversation. Football is the most boring thing to watch. I would rather take a test, or sit in the room with football on and sleep.

And no, people who don't like football aren't geeks. Yes, they do have brains and know what exactly is boring and a waste of time, but not all of them love tests. They just have far more interesting things to do with their time.

FlyingJesus
19-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Natural skills are more wanted because they are natural, and as such can't be learned. They are also far rarer, hence why there have been far less incredible actors than there are incredible doctors. Anyone who has the motivation to do so can become a doctor, a good one at that, but acting or taking part in professional sport is a lot harder, and if you weren't born with the talent, you aren't likely to ever be massive.

webster2
19-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Ha, stereotyping pin head!

There is nothing else to talk about? "DId you see Beckham kick the ball forward to Rooney? Then back to Beckham? Then back to Rooney into the goal?" Wow, great conversation. Football is the most boring thing to watch. I would rather take a test, or sit in the room with football on and sleep.

And no, people who don't like football aren't geeks. Yes, they do have brains and know what exactly is boring and a waste of time, but not all of them love tests. They just have far more interesting things to do with their time.

well ur m8s if u got any prob all geeks so u wouldnt no, if u have m8s that aint geeks u relise that sport is popular subject

FlyingJesus
19-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Webster, I'm what you'd probably call a "geek" (as in, I have an IQ over 6) and I'm into sport. You really don't have a clue. We're trying to have an actual discussion about something and you're just being a ***.

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 09:48 PM
well ur m8s if u got any prob all geeks so u wouldnt no, if u have m8s that aint geeks u relise that sport is popular subject
A wha? That makes no sense... Anyone who hates football is not a geek... A "geek" is someone who loves space, computers and so on... And I am sure some "geeks" or half-geeks like football aswell... I am no "geek." Photography is my department, not the internet and nor is space?

And to FlyingJesus...

Ah I understand. But although they are rare... I think the amount they are paid if extremely huge. I don't understand why they need hundreds of thousands and possibly millions. And you can say someone has a natural gift in something considered academic. For example, a natural gift of math. Like counting being able to add 287 x 7859 in a quick amount of time. Or, being able to remember huge amounts of information, like a 1,000 word poem and not getting it wrong. That is even rarer than playing football as a natural gift. And training is one way to got that natural gift, to some.

webster2
19-09-2006, 09:51 PM
yeh w/e i dont care im just saying that footballers deserve every penny they get cos its entertainment if theres no football theres no arguements about what teams better, supporting nd going to matches with m8s, it would suck without football

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Not really. Although it would be impossible to get rid of it or for it not to exist, there are other possible ways. Like politics, which is boring but it still is there. And there is Cricket, Rugby, Sailing, Archery and so on. Football is not much really...

And you should care, you're the idiot who started the geeks and footballers argument, so you take responsibility for your ignorance.

webster2
19-09-2006, 09:57 PM
loads of my college m8s support arsenal so football would be the main subject not talkin about our stamp collections

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 09:59 PM
There you go again, stupid comment "/

If football didn't exist, you wouldn't be bored. You would find something else "/ It is like knowing about something that doesn't exist. The logic you are speaking of is strange and non existent.

"Hey m8, do u kno about Arsenal lst nite?"
"Aye? wot u talkin about?"
"u kno? Arsenal?"
"I dnt kno wot u r talkin about..."

That is what your conversation would be like, and as you can see, it makes no sense...

webster2
19-09-2006, 10:01 PM
ogm just noticed how many posts u got lol

Mentor
19-09-2006, 10:04 PM
one word: yes

Yea, all the oxsford dictonary reading geeks. Its not like your named after a dictonary of anything... Anyway i looked your occuption up in your dictonary:

One entry found for ****.
Main Entry: ****
Pronunciation: 'twät
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
usually vulgar : VULVA

webster2
19-09-2006, 10:10 PM
im getin insulted by a webmaster whats the world commin to

Sazzle
19-09-2006, 10:11 PM
you gotta bear in mind that people are paid for what they do, not how hard they work. which is unfair, as our parents probably work twice as hard as most celebs but get paid no way near as much as them. i personally think some are probably over-paid, but thats what the salary is with the job.

Mentor
19-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I know what you mean, hell im being insulted by someone destined to sweep floors for a liveing "/

webster2
19-09-2006, 10:13 PM
id rather sweep floors than be a geek

Mentor
19-09-2006, 10:14 PM
And im quite happy being rich, and haveing you sweep my floor, so i suppose were pretty even

webster2
19-09-2006, 10:19 PM
yeh but u wont be having fun, i dont care about money id rather have ****** job spare time for things i like doing for u it will be no fun even if u have money look at all the effort u made its pointless cos at the end of the day we all going to die so u mite aswell have fun in the time u have unless u find making sites nd stuff is fun i dunno

FlyingJesus
19-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Well he clearly does find making sites fun, otherwise he wouldn't have one.

webster2
19-09-2006, 10:25 PM
but it aitn fun to have a life that revolves around internet

i continue another day bye

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 10:32 PM
but it aitn fun to have a life that revolves around internet

i continue another day bye
I take it you only think 1 thing is fun in the world? Wow, I never knew we had any idiots on Habbox anymore... People like different things, you may not like them, but some people do...

And what has my post count got to do with anything?

Let me guess, you are going to say my life revolves round Habbox FOrum and so on. Oh I can't wait to tell you how wrong you are...

Mentor
19-09-2006, 10:36 PM
yeh but u wont be having fun, i dont care about money id rather have ****** job spare time for things i like doing for u it will be no fun even if u have money look at all the effort u made its pointless cos at the end of the day we all going to die so u mite aswell have fun in the time u have unless u find making sites nd stuff is fun i dunno
This may be a suprise to you... but haveing to work 7 days a week pulling two crap jobs, spending most your time unblocking toilets just to pay the bills on your run down flat isnt alot of fun... Working maybe 1 or 2 hours a day and still getting **** loads of money, then being able to spend the rest of the time doing what ever you feel like is alot more appealing "/

Now 2 hours a day, isnt really revolving around the internet, but your carear path of maybe multiple jobs, does tend to revolve around cleaning toilets "/

Anyway since my life revoles around the internt so much im spending the weekend in alton towers with a load of my friends from collage :)

GommeInc
19-09-2006, 10:38 PM
This may be a suprise to you... but haveing to work 7 days a week pulling two crap jobs, spending most your time unblocking toilets just to pay the bills on your run down flat isnt alot of fun... Working maybe 1 or 2 hours a day and still getting **** loads of money, then being able to spend the rest of the time doing what ever you feel like is alot more appealing "/

Now 2 hours a day, isnt really revolving around the internet, but your carear path of maybe multiple jobs, does tend to revolve around cleaning toilets "/

Anyway since my life revoles around the internt so much im spending the weekend in alton towers with a load of my friends from collage :)
Ah yes, Alton Towers, forgot about that! You will need to charge your laptop so you can go on the internet while on a rollercoaster :rolleyes:

Mentor
19-09-2006, 10:39 PM
humm... if you want to by me a laptop *flutters eye lids*

:dallsgreen
20-09-2006, 02:38 AM
I'd say they are, but to be fair it's not that easy to become super famous in the movie/tv industry and make millions. But anyway I doubt it'll ever change, so if you can get paid that much I say why not?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!